Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I feel like I'm the only person left alive who genuinely cannot tell the difference between graphics on various systems. Like if I look at a side by side comparison I can say "Oh yeah, this one looks better", but not once in the past 15 years have I been playing a game and thought "Oh this would look better on PC/PS4/Xbox".

wolfenstein 2 for the switch disappointed me a lil graphics wise lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i have no qualms with your choices or reasons behind them but i'd just like to point out that there's no guarantee that there will be a preload option available for sekiro, unless from software has done so in the past (i don't typically preorder things so i'm not sure one way or the other). there's also no guarantee that part of weird problems with the game at launch won't include a lot of pc port jankery, from's gotten better about it over the years but i don't think that there's ever been an example of their ports being 100% solid and perfect from the jump.

every fromsoft game this gen has worked flawlessly from moment 1, with preloads. only exception might be bloodborne load screens

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i can at least think of the durability bug in dark souls 2 but that also took literal years for them to care about fixing so it's kind of a bad example for "wait until after launch"

that was pc only as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

What he's saying is what you're basically saying, there's very few builds in Bloodborne that are generally good all other builds are basically worthless unless you're doing some gimmick build because you're a minmaxing poopsocker that's mastered the game. When everyone's build basically ends up being one of two things, there really isn't much of a point in a stats system.

the point is to allow players to choose between health, stamina or damage when they level up, and to add an element of verisimilitude to their character progression. it wouldnt be an rpg if any character could use any weapon or tool

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

acksplode posted:

If that's the full list of options, then you don't need a big stats system that just lets you steer into obvious dead ends. This could just as well be modeled with an ability tree, without falsely implying that you have a lot of knobs to experiment with. Contrast with say the original Fallout games, which also modeled character attributes as a series of stats, but every stat had a meaningful impact on the gameplay at every level, and each was viable for maxing, even luck.

theres only six stats in bloodborne and two of them are health/stamina, it would be a very boring skill tree.
bloodbornes stats are great. they break down as such:
vitality, which is health
endurance, which is stamina
strength, which increases damage done by big and brutal weapons
skill, which increases damage done by fast and vicious weapons
bloodtinge, which increases damage done by weapons that rely on the intake or output of blood
arcane, which dictates the players ability to make use of bizarre and confusing weapons and tools

the stats make sense diagetically and allow the player to build a character they like while also removing the ability to accidentally invest in worthless stats. its good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have never heard of anyone using the darkwraith sword in DS3. The most used swords in DS3 are the Lothric Knight Straight Sword and the Sellsword Twinblades

dark sword was extremely popular at launch for r1 spam type players

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
honestly patches not being in sekiro would be devastating to me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They could make tens of millions selling a euro weapon DLC to alt righters

alt righters are notorious for their preference towards dpuble edged european blades over tanged japanese steel

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

it's got some autoaim land directly on your target going on that the souls plunges don't have which makes it noticeably different i m h o

sekiro version of backstabs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

enojy posted:

Eh, maybe I'm just an outlier. I probably put 200 (or more) hours into each of the Soulsborne games. I'm well over them at this point.

ur over them til u play a new one

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

You think a dev that can ably, albeit not always super successfully, tell a story with items and context clues can't tell a story with characters saying words?

art from adversity, friend

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

I just don't care about going in blind to entertainment media. I'm baffled by people who get uppity if you even almost spoil something and then they get in your face about respecting their wishes. Whoa, dude, calm the gently caress down about this game/movie.

And I don't at all mean anything in this thread, btw. Haven't cared about spoilers for decades.

lol you suck

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

I don't intentionally spoil anything and never have. But this is the response I get for not being one with their herd and it's far from helping their case.

lol this aint left vs right kid

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
not only do i not care about spoilers, i never have. i spoil everything before i experience it. thats why its called “spoiling”;; because it makes the thing better

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
before you pile on, let me explain my view: i like pretending im psychic and shrouding my foreknowledge in “prediction” to impress my friends

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

none of these games are that hard, really, once you put in some time. there's this twitch guy I watch when I am bored who has apparently made it his life's work to play through all the soulsborne games in a row without getting hit once. and he does it, over and over. it's a purgatorial task and I question his sanity but he does it.

youre basically saying diving isnt hard because you know an olympic diver who does olympic dives every day

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I don't have to dive like an olympic diver, I just have to get to the other end of the pool.

swimming is hard if youve never been underwater

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sekiro is guaranteed to be harder than dark souls because you cant let your friends beat the game for you with coop

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

if it keeps folding probably try drinking less

[after thinking for a minute] haha

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol, just lol at your first run if you don't use the ragdoll physics to hide every body so you can get the S Rating standard you hold yourself to.

can someone confirm if this game has ragdolls

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

so many of the written reviews I've read say poo poo like "im terrible at this game" which makes me think they didn't even get that far and are just following the same credo as others do whenever a Naughty Dog/Fromsoft/Zelda game comes out, just assign it a 9 and call it a day, probably gonna wait for a Giant Bomb postgame takes since the guy who plays these actually seems like he'd know about the intricacies of what makes it different.

brad plays them at giantbomb and hes terrible at them and has consistently been proven a buffoon.......but he does always beat them, i think

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

seems odd that this would be the hardest when this one now has more instadeath sneak kills and a legit grappling hook option to jet out of most enemy encounters on the fly. I assumed those things would be a way to mitigate tougher encounters.

bosses are probably really hard since its way less clear what strategies will work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just realized the yamamura set in bloodborne is almost identical to the wolfs costume in sekiro.....yhis is marvelous chester all over again

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

fadam posted:

Game has a hard 60fps cap. Refunding that rear end.

:grin:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

yeah I wonder what the deal is with that skill. Maybe there's some special property to backstabs?

also I just beat the drunkard but siegmurai didn't survive :( how on earth are you supposed to pull that off

i did it by killing every enemy and backstabbing the drunk so he just had one health bar before engaging with the friend

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just got do Lady Butterfly and gently caress this fight, not so much because she's hard (she is) but stop tightroping and fight me you dumb bitch. I'd like to practice your infinite string combos and learn those not wait around for you to get down from the fishing line. :argh:

Oh and please for the love of god can we get a patch that keeps the enemy targetted if you revive? I hate that.

knock her off with shuriken

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is there a way to get at least 4 prayer beads without hitting anything major? Because right now it feels like i'm playing the first playthrough of nioh right now

minibosses drop them and theres one in a chest at the end of hirata estates flashback......so i think u can get exactly 4 before fighting any bosses. maybe 5

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I bought DS1 3 times, DS2 4 times, DS3 twice, and bloodborne and I can't believe I clicked that refund option on steam. maybe I'll buy it again when its cheap. Have fun goons.

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zelah posted:

I didn’t realize that Guardian Ape was a Capital B Boss until I saw the shinobi execution prompt. Even more than the bull, this felt like a straight up soulsborne boss. The lock on is the biggest problem because of grapple points all over, but I beat it first try. Still have no idea how far I am in the game, but it feels like more than 50%.

never saw a followup to this post......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

it has to do something. they put in a whole item that lets you do it as much as you want why would they do this

its good for dropping aggro out of line of sight if u want to sneak attack a miniboss but screw up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skypie posted:

This guy beat my rear end a few times. What I ended up doing was luring him from his spot and close to the stairs to reset him. then I ran down and got a stealth blow. then I jumped back up and puppeteered a ministry shinobi and that helped me

he hates fire too.....living force shreds him

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are any of the Lazulite tools considered better than the others?

shuriken probably

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Father Owl seems doable. Not nearly as easy as Owl #1. Got that one within 10 tries. Father Owl seems like I'll be happy to get to P2 within the first 10 tries. Any prosthetics to use on this fight?

shuriken & chasing slice to close gaps

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its worth it to get the spirit emblem skills if u get them all imo btw. but u have to get all five —- 25 spirit emblems w/ the tanto means i only run out on bosses

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Control Volume posted:

DoH down, took me a dozen tries and the winning attempt, I won with 0 gourds and I couldnt actually see my health bar with how low I was. Eat poo poo!!

just a dozen.......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Control Volume posted:

My strategy of running in a circle to the left has destroyed many a boss in less

drat ive been running to the right.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, but if he does it when I back off to get in a gourd, whoops, now I'm dead :shrug:

Also: using 16 shuriken each attempt eats through my emblems fast

honestly u should have 999 emblems by the time u go back to hirata estates

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

If I have any advice for people just starting the game it's spend all of your money on spirit emblems as often as you possibly can. You're going to lose a ton of that early game money anyway while learning and spirit emblems go up in price to 50 sen eventually, so it's good to build a cheap backlog just in case.

it was ridiculous that people didnt figure this out with bloodborne

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

oh what the gently caress

haha. love these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
got doh down thanks to one of kuros rice balls. love that kid