Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god if you pre-order this from Gamestop you get a mini Katana letter opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Because there's no multiplayer there is now a :siren:pause button.:siren:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I mean, that's what I'm saying. The writing itself for these games is fantastic, but I don't think I've ever spotted a translation error either. It's one of those aspects that ages really well and is incredibly hard for 'souls-like' competitors to emulate. Framerates and loadtimes are always going to be fluid and ever changing in this industry, but great storytelling is evergreen.

It’s really good but sometimes nuance or small details are lost in translation. Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 2 were really bad about this. Some of it is understandable just because of language differences and how suble Souls lore can be but there are a few cases where the translation has the opposite meaning than the original.

There’s a guy on reddit who went through the translations of Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. There are people who have done the same for the other games too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Control Volume posted:

I havent watched any of this game since the initial trailer but heres the scoop:

you play a wooden robot ninja that murders a bunch of japanese samurai motherfuckers, and probably a bunch of ogres. one of the bosses is a lady who is a snake. Every boss is eight feet tall for some reason. you descend into japanese hell and fight some hell demons. One of the bosses is a lady who has an umbrella. There is going to be a mountain area, and right before this mountain area is going to be the poison area. One of the bosses is a lady who is a ghost or something. You get to fight skeletons with katanas. You have an honorable battle against a guy thats just a repeat of sir alonne. You know those poison dart fuckers from cainhurst? better believe those guys are back. Every preview uses the word "verticality" at least once. You are definitely going to be ambushed by ninjas.

As someone who has seen every trailer, this sounds about right.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yeah From does this a lot. Not usually this close to release though...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo (hub spoilers)there's an immortal guy in the hub you can use as a training dummy. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/FuturePress/status/1103431858489053184?s=20

Welp guess I’m buying another FuturePress guide.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The focus on parrying reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

EDIT: I just realized the Future Press guide is being released April 15th. Uhhh that's pretty late, especially since Sekiro looks like it'll have way less replay value than Soulsborne games.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 7, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I feel like this is an impossible conclusion to draw right now

either way, I'm 90% certain that dark souls 2 has more raw content than any other soulsbourne game and I've spent the least time playing it

From what I’ve seen of previews the biggest playthrough changes will be (death and gameplay mechanic spoilers) how much dragonrot you cause and what you level up in the skill tree(assuming you can’t max it out). I’ll probably die too much and some NPCs will die from dragonrot on my first playthrough so I’ll get at least two playthroughs out of the game but from what I’ve seen of the skill tree it doesn’t look gamechanging enough to be worth another playthrough.

That said, Soulsborne games are usually pretty long so even if you only do 2 playthroughs it’ll still be at least like 30 hours of playtime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone is wondering, there IS an English dub of the game. I think I'll probably go with Japanese just because of the setting though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Firstborn posted:

Based on Digital Foundry's video, seems Sekiro averages 45~ FPS in 1080p on PS4 Pro. :(

Any option to lock it at 30 fps?

JBP posted:

That's 1530 more frames than BB

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
On base PS4 there are some bosses that bring it down to single digits. Loran Darkbeast I'm looking at you

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 10, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Solid 30 fps is better than variable 45

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Imhotep posted:

Well.. That's why they asked, if you don't know and want to: instead of the corpse run mechanic, when you die after your first resurrection, you have a chance to respawn without losing any exp or money, which is called unseen aid. This comes at the cost of directly worsening a disease called dragonrot, which seems to have to do with Sekiro's Lord, the child who you lose your arm trying to protect and all of the trailers or pre release info have said that he has a special bloodline, which is why he gets kidnapped by the Ashina clan general it seems. I'm just guessing that this bloodline has potentially sacred properties, but when used in certain ways has negative effects, like the dragonrot which has spread to the sculptor who raises you. We also know that the Ashina clan are preparing for war, and we jump back and forth between the time you lost your arm to the time in which it seems most of the game takes place, and all of a sudden, there's a bunch of demon ninjas who might've taken advantage of this blood, similar to the blood in Bloodborne. Maybe not quite as literally, but what we do know for a fact is that the dragonrot is spreading, no one in the game that Sekiro talks to in the footage they've shown knows why, but we do know that the Ashina general was desperate to kidnap the lord and it's probably because of this bloodline, which allows you to resurrect, but at a potentially terrible cost.

drat I hadn't made those connections before, but I feel like I've spoiled the plot more for myself just by piecing together little bits of stuff we've known for a while, except for the dragonrot. That's why I said a few pages ago that I'm never going to resurrect... I'm scared of From going back to super harsh stuff like Yurt killing important NPCs, etc.

I don't think Unseed Aid is directly related with the Dragonrot mechanic. And we're still not sure if Dragonrot only happens if you revive or if it's just death in general.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Trophies appear to have leaked. Obviously don't click if you don't want significant spoilers. Keep in mind there are probably optional bosses without trophies attached, also the line between boss and mini-boss is blurred in Sekiro anyway.

I think the most notable thing is there are ____Four endings so getting every achievement might require that many playthroughs, assuming you go to NG+ after each ending.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 10, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m getting hyped for this.

For those who have visited spoiler town, does this game get weird like Bloodborne did with the latter half of the game? I know we’ve seen some monsters and such but I’m curious just how crazy it could get. The idea of various Yokai excites the hell out of me :D

Obviously I haven't seen the whole game but It has some spooky and supernatural stuff but doesn't seem like as much of a genre twist as Bloodborne.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
English launch trailer. This is by far the most spoilery of the trailers(new bosses and mini-bosses(including the death of one of the bosses), story stuff, new items, ect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqsJSeJ_0kU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Remember guys, if you pre-order from Gamestop you can receive your very own mini-katana letter opener!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The final boss is Solaire riding a chinese dragon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Megasabin posted:

I've mostly been avoiding reading anything about this game, but through reading posts here I've seen people mention that the early previews say this game has a much more straight forward story than Souls/BB. That makes me a bit sad. I really enjoy piecing together lore from environmental/gameplay clues. I think it's a form of storytelling that takes advantage of the unique traits video games have over writing/movies/other multimedia. And FROM is really great at it.

As an aside I just played Hollow Knight over the last 3 weeks and that did it extremely well also.

Don't worry, there's plenty of that. It's still a Miyazaki game and he likes being vague as gently caress.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

acksplode posted:

*Troy Baker voice* I'm Sekiro the master shinobi. Taste my blade

Speaking of voice actors, that sounded like Robin Atkin Downes as the guy who cuts off Wolf's arm.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm probably gonna do English for my first playthrough so I can understand everything without having to read subtitles, then I'll switch to Japanese for the second. After that I dunno.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like the Day One patch is 3.671GB. Pretty small for games these days.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently streamers are allowed to stream 2 hours of Sekiro tommorow, and all of it on Thursday.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
shut up and dance

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty anecdotal, but a lot of people who are playing the game early are saying it’s really hard.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s a (first level spoiler)tutorial boss you’re supposed to lose to, like Demon’s Souls. He looks pretty tough too. I wonder what you get for beating him, if anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Victory Position posted:

grappling hook installed in my hand, the greatest mystery in all of Soulsborne will be revealed: the truth behind the elevator between Earthen Peak and Iron Keep

That's been solved for a while: Dark Souls 2 world design was bad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Expect My Mom posted:

I stop reading every time someone here says "none of these games are really like that hard" like motherfucker you've played five of these games

cool that you've reprogrammed your mind to be able to dodge the great festering lizards boil blasts on your first time but not everyone has

Ironically I think this game will be harder at first for Souls veterans because they'll have to overcome the dodge muscle memory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Crabtree posted:

Yeah they're pulling another Bloodborn kick to the balls by introducing three separate forms of evasion you must know how to be aware of or the first mid boss will specifically gently caress you over just for dodge rolling apparently. Get ready for rage videos all about that.

If so it'll be entirely their fault because unlike Souls games Sekiro has a fleshed out tutorial. That said I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to beat the game without parrying, it'll just be tedious as gently caress. It'll probably be a popular challenge run.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 20, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Way ahead of you, I've been not playing Sekiro since it was announced.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow that was quick. Lobosjr. already beat the tutorial boss. And the reward issssss... just a slightly different cutscene. That's a shame. The video is on his channel, I dunno how to spoiler a youtube video.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Why is it so small?

Isn't Dark Souls 3 like 18gb without DLC?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TL:DR is:

Graphics: XboneX>PS4Pro>PS4>Xbone

Framerate: 120 HZ XboneX>PS4Pro>60 HZ XboneX>PS4>Xbone

Loading times good for all consoles.

Overall Sekiro performs similarly to previous games, still has frame pacing issues(PS4 and Xbone especially).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MZ posted:

Can someone explain what the frame-pacing issue actually is? I played Bloodborne & DS3 on the PS4 and didn't notice anything....what am I missing here?

(Will probably get this on PC anyway as I built one last year that should easily exceed the requirements).

Basically frames appear on screen for variable amounts of time, so while the framerate technically averages out to 30(in case of PS4 and Xbone) it feels a lot worse.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hob is insane. He's been working on this non-stop almost everyday for like a year now. Knowing him he'll add Sekiro to the list and redo it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silynt posted:

Is that the same guy who tried to do a no hit run of all the games and got hit on the last boss when it had like 5% health left?

This happens like every stream so I'm gonna say yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enemies reset after running away right? Could you theoretically stealth kill everything and just run away when you get caught to reset the enemies?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

sleepness posted:

Do the different “impact” attacks that enemies have have corresponding colors to tell you what you need to do? The little tutorial pop up made it read like it was color coded, but I can’t make sense of it.

No, there’s just one. You have to figure out from the animation whether you need to dodge or jump(or parry if you’re feeling gutsy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestonJew posted:

the only thing I want to be spoiled on is how dragonrot works. do you have to die or is it resurrecting and then dying again that causes it?

It's dying at all, not just the resurrect. I don't know if dying, resurrecting, and then dying again is 2x the dragonrot though. But you can't just avoid it altogether by not resurrecting.