Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are two reasons I probably shouldn't buy this game:

1. no co-op, and I've never successfully made it through an entire Souls game without having to co-op once or twice.

and

2. I need an SA thread to follow where I can post questions and get answers from other people playing the game. So if I were to buy the game and then the forums are no longer here, it almost makes the game worthless to me, as lame as that sounds. These games have always been a community thing for me, without that they aren't half as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the multiplayer in these games is good as a sort of difficulty setting. if a boss is too hard for you, you can summon some buddies. i beat every boss solo because for me personally i don't feel like i've completed the game otherwise. but i like putting my sign down to help people after i've won.

Yea I'm very worried about that aspect. I love the Souls games for a bunch of reasons but the slow frustrating process of learning a boss and dying to it a bunch of times has never been one of them. I tend to try bosses 2 or 3 times and if it's feeling like a brick wall I just summon. Unfortunately if that's not an option in Sekiro than my chances of actually completing the game are pretty low. Like, I'd never have made it past O&S without help, I'd have quit first. Same with a few of the end bosses in DS2, 3, and Bloodborne. I quit Dark Souls for several months after banging my head against Capra Demon forever, then only went back to it because I found out you could skip him with the skeleton key.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

Edit: For those worried about summons, word is you will have NPC summons. Catch is if you let them die in the fight, they're dead for good.

That really doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about it, tbh. Give me just a single opportunity to do literally anything in a Souls game and I guarantee you I'll gently caress it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I’m gonna buy this game day one and really enjoy it I think, but I’m a bit worried cos I haven’t played a Souls game in a while but just picked up Bloodborne cos i finally got a PS4, and man, I am toilet water at that game. It’s actually triggering me pretty hard. So yeah, I guess I’m just gonna have to get good all over again.

I’m looking forward to it.

Bloodborne did that to almost everyone, it wasn't easy adjusting to the speed of the game, the lack of any real shield options, and the blood regain mechanic. For instance, Cleric Beast was basically designed to be a tutorial for the Regain system because as soon as you stop trying to dance around him all the time and just start swinging away, he goes down fairly easily. But if you weren't absorbing that then he could be a pretty rage inducing boss, especially for the first boss of the game. Ditto Father G, except with the gun parry. He's a very tough boss for early game, IF you aren't trying to learn how to parry, which a lot of people didn't/don't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

punished milkman posted:

this is a bad take and i know it but every souls game is perfect to me and my eyes glaze over whenever i read nitpicking complaints about any of them

I mostly feel this way too, every game since Dark Souls had pretty vocal detractors on release and I was always just having a blast playing through them and putting in hundreds of hours. Whatever imperfections they have didn't feel worth spending too much time thinking about when each one became my go-to game for like an entire year. Very few other series have been able to do that, and consistently from sequel to sequel. Dark Souls 3 certainly felt like a retread in a lot of ways and yet I still had a blast with it and completed my third playthrough a few weeks ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more I hear and see about this game the more it really does seem to be heavily influenced by Tenchu, and that makes me very very excited.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to hear accounts from goons about how much of an obstacle the early game bosses really are. I want to know how much I'm at risk of hitting a brick wall like 2 hours into the game and not being able to break through it. That dude who gave the game a 9.9 out of 10 mentioned fighting a boss for 6 hours before beating it and if that's the norm then I probably won't be able to handle this. Bosses like that are what I used summons for in the previous games, and I haven't seen NPC summons mentioned in the reviews I've read.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Lol remember when part of the point of playing on a console was that you didn't have to worry if your system met the specs of the game you were trying to play

I still don't. I haven't played a PC game in 15 years so vanilla PS4 still looks perfectly fine to me. I've never put a disc in and had it tell me that it can't run the game, which is what happens when you try to load a PC game without the required specs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol a lot has changed in 15 years.

Not to me, if you stay blissfully ignorant then what does it matter?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s weird how many posts are like “Hey I’m not into long, demanding boss fights or obtuse and difficult game mechanics, will I like this?

The key difference is coop summons. In the previous FROM games, I could enjoy the game just on the basis of exploring the environments and fighting my way to the bosses. If a particular boss was too challenging, it never stopped me from progressing because I could summon. If that isn't available this time I could end up literally dropping the game and not seeing a good percentage of the content. It also seems like this game is mostly linear in terms of the bosses you have to fight to progress, so it's not like I can get frustrated with one particular boss and off and explore a totally different path and/or area.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

ENB said the exact opposite. If one area is stopping you you can explore somewhere else. Which suggests boss order is not linear.

That would be great, and alleviate some of my concern. I figured that because the game was more story driven that the boss encounters would be more linear, probably a bad assumption.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watching Ninja Scroll right now to set the mood, it's on Hulu.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the biggest point that made things click for me was realizing that stamina is not a thing anymore, so I can use all of my focus just on hitting and not getting hit. It's one less thing to worry about which I think works with the speed of the combat in the game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man the basic combat just feels so good. So far it seems that in most areas there are a handful of more powerful enemies and if you take a few minutes to assassinate them stealthily first you can take on the big groups of regular enemies that are left pretty easily.

Also, the game rewards bouncing around various grapple points and rooftops while you're fighting, and that also feels really good and satisfying. A lot of classic samurai flicks have scenes like that where the hero kinda uses hit and run tactics to separate enemies so that they can't gang up on him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Is this more of a combat game or more of a stealth/ingenuity game? I haven't really kept up and just saw that this came out today, so am wondering if I should get it early.

For reference, I am a big fan of specifically Bloodborne and its fast combat pace, and I am not so great at stealth games like MGS or what have you. This looks like a mix of both, wondering which way it leans towards. No I have never played Tenchu.

I guess it's more of a combat game in the sense that the stealth isn't required most of the time, whereas you will absolutely have to get good at the combat to progress. Being willing to spend time thinning out the enemies before getting into big brawls does make things a lot easier though.

Jose posted:

Dam I'm getting owned by that first spear mini boss

He was a great first mini boss/tutorial boss because he destroyed me the first time, I almost beat him the second and third time, and then dominated him without taking a scratch the fourth time. If every boss was like that the game would be perfectly designed imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm pretty sure there is a way to get a fire tool to use against the chained up ogre but I hadn't found it and it was 3am so I just kept fighting him over and over until I finally beat him just with regular sword attacks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

a new study bible! posted:

Can anyone answer my question about primary weapons? Is it just the sword or can you swap between different types like in other souls games?

It's just the sword. Your arm has various tools you can attach to it but the primary weapon is always the sword.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made it to the horse rider boss at like 3:30am and was like nope my brain cannot handle this fight tonight gotta go to sleep.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where are the firecrackers?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo, last night was such a blur that I can't really remember where that guy is that shoots the canon at you. Apparently the firecrackers are close by? Can somebody help me out with which bonfire/statue it's nearest to?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

Pretty much like the first one after the tutorial. You'll see a multi-tiered like... plateau... with crow on top. You can hear the crows if you are anywhere close. It's directly after/next to the bell lady. Ledge grab your way up to the top.

Ah yes, that's what I needed thanks.

I'm hoping the firecrackers have some sort of an effect on the fight with the horse guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Popular Human posted:

This game might legitimately be too difficult for me, and I say this as someone who's beaten (and loved) all the Soulsborne games, Bloodborne especially.

I can tell I'm not gonna be able to finish it but I'm having a lot of fun while the difficulty isn't too bad yet. But if this is anything like previous FROM games, around mid-game the boss difficulty is gonna ramp up pretty hard and I probably won't be able to cope with it. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself, I beat Ninja Gaiden Black many years ago but I'm old now and I don't think I have that kind of brutal trial and error process in me anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My first Bloodborne playthrough I accidentally killed Eileen and went "Welp"

Like I dunno I think the fun things about From games are those mechanical elements that other devs would be too timid to try, it's bizarre to see people say "This makes me feel bad and I'm gonna refund it gently caress you From"

It's pretty rare that killing an NPC will ever do much more than lock you out of that particular NPCs questline, and that kind of stuff I never worry about in my first playthrough of a FROM game or I'd go insane. I'm pretty confident that the Dragonrot thing is gonna be similar; a necessary mechanic to keep track of if you're doing specific side things related to NPCs but nothing that's going to effect your ability to actually progress in the main story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

Post Chained Ogre stuff: Man the Snake segment is so loving good, I wasn't even mad that it was a mandatory stealth segment that i hosed up like three times. I really hope there's just a big ol yamato no orochi boss and that snake was just one of it's heads

Gonna go plunk around the Hirata estate finally. I'm having a blast

I ducked into the little hut there just as a way to hide while the snake went by, but then all the sudden I see the little red icon pop up...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The blazing bull is kicking my rear end. Just too relentless and seems to have a ton of health.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
whew, yea basically never letting up the sprint button turned out to be the key to taking down the bblazing bull. Of course, I ran up against a new boss about 10 minutes later that kicked my rear end even harder so here we go again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I correct that you can get through to Gun Fort without having to directly confront Snake Eyes?. I don't need a key or anything right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm one of the posters who was posting very anxiously about the fact that I wouldn't be able to co-op summon in this game and so wouldn't be able to handle the bosses. Well, it's been quite an experience so far, because every new boss encounter has this ominous "this is it, this is as far as I go in this game" feeling to it at first. Well I'm still in the early game but I'm no longer as sure that the game is going to be as impossible to finish as I thought. The rhythm of the game has begun to really click for me, the back and forth exchanges no longer feel chaotic, I feel in control. Took down Lady Butterfly last night and that's a fight that felt impossible when I first attempted it a few days ago(so impossible that I just moved on to other areas). Genichiro beat me pretty good last night but already after only 3 attempts I feel like I have a pretty good handle on his moveset. I feel confident I can take him down.

The crazy thing is that I think the Longarm Centipede miniboss is the encounter that really did it for me, as dumb as that sounds. The game presents you this extreme simplification of the parry system(basically just parry like 10 blows in a row rapid fire), but it was a really effective way of hammering this idea into my stubborn brain that wait a second, yea I can literally just hit the parry button 10 times in a row and parry an entire combo right back into the bosses face. Once that clicked, I became comfortable with that and moved onto learning how to mix a dodge or mikri counter in when necessary(which the same very easy mini-boss also teaches you) and I was off to the races. After having that "breakthrough" I then went off and beat the purple ninja and Lady Butterfly back to back in only a few attempts.

And I know I"m not very far into the game yet but at this point I already feel like I've got my money's worth out of it. Much like how I played Dark Souls for like 2 months before ever touching Anor Londo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, it happened, I beat Genichiro last night. The skill difference between when I first encountered him to when I actually beat him is just insane, this game really does force you to git gud but I think in a way that is more organic and fun than any of the previous FROM games.

If you're bashing your head against him with only 3 or 4 gourd uses, just gently caress off for a while and go explore other areas. I ended up "overleveled" for him in the sense that I did so much exploration that I had 7 gourd uses and lvl. 4 health/posture by the time I actually got serious about beating him. Not that it's necessary to do that, but don't feel like you're required to beat Genichiro the moment you first reach the top of the castle.

Beating him is a great feeling because I have confidence that I'm now going to be able to see at least the majority of content in this game. I think the way the game teaches you lessons with every early game boss/mini-boss is really a huge achievement in game design.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

So, Ashina Castle. I see at least four ways to go. 1. Up the stairs to a mob with a miniboss. 2. To the left where there are grapple points that are snakes. 3. To the right where there are some regular dudes sitting in chairs. 4. Down under the bridge which looks like a poison swamp.

Did I miss any and which way should I go there? I can't decide on progressing here and finishing off Hirata Estate, where I have not even seen any bosses or minibosses yet.

Where you're at progressing in either the castle or the estate is about equal in terms of difficulty. The only really important advice is that if you get to the end of the Estate, don't feel like you have to actually take down the end boss at that point. But you can progress towards the boss just fine. Really you're meant to hop back and forth between the Castle and the Estate so I'd recommend doing that just to keep things fresh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Getting to Kuros room and opening that window that overlooks the entire castle was a pretty eye opening moment. I guess I could've looked over the landscape before then but that particular view lets you look straight down and see the stairway up to the castle entrance and from there you can really see where how it's all laid out. Very impressive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

I like the ashina elite miniboss because if you can do two quick deflects in a row he gets absolutely owned and it feels amazing

He's basically there to teach you that exact lesson. That bosses will have long combo strings that seem intimidating at first, but you have to start seeing those more as opportunities to do posture damage via parries.

Now, most bosses won't be as completely owned by a few parries as the Ashina Elite, most of them require you to whittle their health bar down at least a bit before their posture regen stops being a factor. But the ease and speed of doing rapid fire parries is something you have to absorb if you're gonna have any shot of progressing very far in the game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

also, upgrades for tools? what are you even talking about

You really aren't ready to beat Lady Butterfly and the game expects you to go progress in other areas and become a bit stronger first. You're bashing your head against a brick wall for no reason. With a few more gourd seeds, an attack upgrade(obtained by beating a much easier boss) and a vitality upgrade, she becomes much more manageable.

The shuriken is useful for phase 2, when she sends all of the spells/illusions at you. If you knock her on her rear end every time she jumps onto the wire, you will barely have to deal with any of that poo poo and it just becomes a simple round 2 fight that is mostly the same as round 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Unrelated, but you were talking about the poison prosthetic attack and it turns out it takes 3 hits to poison the dojo master near the top of ashina castle. I'm not sure it was super helpful overall because he already kind of took a lot of posture damage, but it was nice to have him at like half health or so while fighting him.

Really no reason not to poison him since he's just sitting there and he lets you wail on him for a few seconds. Just makes it that much easier to build up the posture damage on him when you start parrying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

How far am I through the game if I just beat the fire bull and have also reached the drunken ogre guy at Hirata?

I've been playing very slowly and have died a lot.

You're basically at the end of the tutorial area.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know if I'll ever beat the end boss at this point, not because it's too hard but because I don't know if I really care enough to put in the couple of hours of dying it'd take me to do it :/

I'm past caring about whether I'll actually complete the game. I probably won't, just as I'd never have completed DSIII without help on some of the more brutal endgame bosses.

It really doesn't matter to me, my fear of buying the game and then getting stonewalled an hour in were unfounded, I've had 25-30 hours of amazing gameplay out of it so if/when I decide to walk away I will walk away happy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So strange how improvement in this game works in my brain, how the connections seem to be made during the time that I'm not actually playing. So often brute force isn't what gets it done, I have to let my brain rest and absorb the lessons it's been unconsciously learning.

On Saturday I must've spend 2 hours going up against Orrin of the Water. Came somewhat close a few times but not really that close. Took two days off(not even just a day or a few hours), and with zero warmup I ran right back to her last night and just dominated her. She barely touched me.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 10, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

3 out of every 100 people who have ever started the game didn’t make it far enough to get the prosthetic arm

That's probably true of every FROM game though, there's always a certain number of people who come into it as their first Souls-like experience and they immediately bounce off it and return/refund.

To have less than 10% of players making it to the end after 3 weeks is a bigger change I think. It seems like with the previous games the number was like two or three times that, if not more. It seemed like people overall had a fairly easy time with Dark Souls 3, for instance. Bloodborne less so because of the adjustment to the speed of combat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I'm farming for Divine Confetti is it definitely worth it to ring the Demon Bell first? Without it I'm getting maybe 1 confetti every other time I do the Ashina Castle Antechamber run with all the blue samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

There's really no reason to farm it since once you hit endgame merchants have infinite supplies.

I'm stuck at Corrupted Monk and I really don't feel like going back there without 5-10 confettis. Apparently I can't by confetti until I beat him.