Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
ok well I did it. I went and preordered this game today. I'm excited to play this game and have been since I saw the E3 stuff last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just got a call that the Gamestop I pre-ordered from is doing a 9pm release on Thursday. But I work night shift so I'll be at work and unable to pick it up :negative:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

eonwe posted:

I just got Division 2 and ive been playing it but I did not realize this was so close too

fuckkkkkkkk I want to also get this

My coworker who I talked into buying Sekiro is trying to talk me into buying Division 2. Which I'd like to do but I don't wanna spend $120 on games right now cuz I'm trying to save up for getting into a new outdoor hobby

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I have finally acquired my copy and am ready to suck real bad at this ninja murder simulator

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lmao I just spent like 2 hours bumblefucking through Hirata Estate and not only did I miss the flame vent like 10 times but I didn't realize I was running by the spot to open the door that leads directly to the shinobi hunter.

So now next time I play, I can just cruise past the whole burning village and right up the alley to those guys without burning tons of time/healing trying to get through the 7 or 8 dudes by the bonfire

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

"regenerate HP on finisher kill" skill

:eyepop: wow I would like to have this one

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Its extremely useful. Fodder grunts and the big roosters are just healthpacks for ya

Is it under the Shinobi tree? I haven't dug too deep into the skill stuff yet cuz I was mostly getting rekt in the estate

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it's like the top line of the shinobi stuff

Heck! I was putzing around in the bottom part of that tree so I'll have to drum up some skill points and change direction

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

So if I’m at the chained ogre, is the fire cannon close? The dude nearby told me where it is, but I’m not really sure where I am.

No. The flame vent requires you to use the little bell from the old lady to open one of the time travel bits. It takes you to Hirata Estates, and you'll find the flame vent in a bonfire with a few guys around it. It's in the burned out village section BEFORE you go up a ramp. Super easy to miss, I walked by it a dozen times

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JBP posted:

The thief tells you exactly where it is. I saw the fire and thieves and was like oh this is where the guy was when he was a miscreant.

I think I missed it because I was frantically trying to murder all those dudes :v:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I didn’t move in to the area. I hit the idol and noped out.

Also, yeah lol I am bad at this game. Just mashing L1 and praying.

I have already picked up two Rot Essence so I'm bad as well lol

Actually I'm getting the hang of grunt attack patterns but those jerks with the axes or whatever I just cannot seem to wrap my head around so they kick my rear end a lot

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Walrus posted:

dang the shinobi hunter is loving my day up. should I even be trying to parry his red thrusts, or just circle dodging? I think I need to be dodging either earlier to get entirely out of the way or later to get some iframes as he keeeeeeps hitting me. I guess I could just go back to the main path.. :(

You could sneak through the grass and get a deathblow on him then mikiro counter his thrust for a decent chunk of posture damage

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Walrus posted:

thanks for the tip on using mikiri on the shinobi hunter. I just don't think i could have beaten him straight, but that made it pretty simple. well, simpleish.

got the restore health on visceral shortly after that, it is a very very good skill

I'm glad this tip helped because I haven't actually cleared the hunter yet :v:

(Stupid night shift job)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Hanbei teaching me that you can kick people in the head to counter sweep moves was a deeply transformative experience.

Hanbae :swoon: has helped me a lot in figuring poo poo out

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm curious about the voice language options. I see it wants you to default to Japanese but is anyone playing in English and want to comment on it? From Software games always had some cheesy english acting to make the jank more entertaining.

I'm doing English for this run and think it's a pretty solid job. I think Wolf's VA does a good job conveying a "I'm too old for this poo poo" attitude.

I'll probably do Japanese audio for the next run

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I'm getting an unhealthy amount of satisfaction reading posts on reddit from people who are mad that they're bad at sekiro

The only time I got mad was when it felt like the lock-on system was being weird at one point. I was trying to do a deathblow from above then wall jump onto the roof of a house and hide out til I could do another. A couple times, the camera lock felt like it wouldn't let go and I'd end up hopping towards the enemy pile instead of away and up

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I finally beat the shinobi hunter and I couldn't do it worth my own advice because I could not figure out which of his Perilous attacks was the one I could use the Mikiro counter on

So I stealth deathblow after clearing out the goons then just went ham with the axe. It would stagger him so I just spammed til I could do a death blow

Next mini boss looks very tough so I think I'm gonna piss off from the estate for a bit. I got the heal on deathblow skills at least

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hey can I get some advice for Lady Butterfly?

I can consistently get her into P2 without needing any healing items, but she has an attack combo where she summons 4 butterflies and chains a bunch of slashes that ends with a Perilous.

If I block, the butterflies soak up my posture and cause the slashes to break my guard so I get owned by the Perilous. If I try to parry the slashes, the butterflies seem to stagger me so I get owned by the Perilous. If I try to dodge, the attack tracks and I eat all the slashes then get owned by the Perilous. Should I just back dodge when I see the butterflies to make some space?

Also, should I kill the illusions? I know they drop emblems but my strategy for em so far has been to bait them into a corner then run across the room and hug a pillar when they turn into butterflies. This causes most of them to hit the pillar instead of me, but I'm not sure if I'm being too risky with that

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Spoilers for Lady Butterfly fight

Man, I was having an uphill battle with this fight, died about 70+ times. It felt like a Lady Maria/Orphan of Kos except at the beginning of the game and was really testing my skills.

Then I unlocked the Nightjar Slash and holy poo poo this completely trivialized the first form. I kept on spamming it and it just chain staggered her in first form so I took completely no damage. After that it was slightly trickier because she will poise out of it in the second form and get butterflies in, so you have to be more cautious and find some openings, but once you lower her health some more she will start getting stunlocked again.

When it comes to the attack Skypie was talking about, I did not want to deal with both attacks at once so I just sprinted around until the butterflies disappeared and waited for a more favorable attack to punish

I don't know what to make of the design of that fight that something like that worked, but it's in the game so I consider it a fair victory :colbert:

Yeah I think ultimately I'll be best off just noping out when I see that attack start. I'm just greedy and wanna get the posture damage from countering a Perilous :v:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

anyone who's stuck on the minibosses should remember to eat their candy

they bring your defense up from "The Incredible Rice-Paper Man" to "early Bloodborne build"

I ate all my candy and then hosed up so I only have a single orange candy and I'm terrified of wasting it like my others

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
If anyone is still struggling with Shinobi Hunter, you can just kinda brute force him if you can't time your mikiri counter right.

Clear the goons around him, stealth off 1 bar of HP, then wail on him with the axe. The axe will do a big chunk of posture damage and stagger him so you can wind up another axe strike. 4 or 5 hits will crumple him and allow you to deal another deathblow

e: I also dunno why people are stressing about the Dragonrot stuff. Nobody knows how it works completely, and it seems designed with the impression you'll probably acquire a lot of it on your first or second play through. Just kill stuff and if you die a lot, do better on the next run since it's a built-in assumption for FromSoft games that you'll have to run it multiple times

Skypie fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 24, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok this weird bug where the illusions are hanging out after Buttetfly does her snap has ruined a couple solid attempte and is a little annoying

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Fuuuuuuuuck after like 35ish tries, I got Butterfly down. It shouldn't have been that hard but I just could not handle that second half for some reason

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I am getting ruined by this stupid bull. So close and yet so far on my attempts. Kinda wish the firecracker was more reliable at stunning him

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jose posted:

Don't let go of the sprint button is my advice

I actually beat it just now by chomping some red sugar and just going ham on it

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Whew. Seven Spears guy is very technical and I gotta learn to distinguish between the thrust and the sweep. Can the multi stab attack he does be mikiri countered or just parried?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Mikiri countering bosses feels so loving satisfying

I like doing it on Seven Spears but he seems to have a follow up even if you do :(

I can't beat that fucker, been trying all afternoon

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

boogiepop posted:

mikiri wont let you get free hits on seven spears guy but it's still good to do to keep his posture from regenning, and you can still press the attack after you reset off of the mikiri - he'll block and do the orange flash indicator taht he's about to counter. when you deflect that counter attack he'll go veering waaaay off balance to the side and then you can gently caress him up hard with ichimonji and break his posture really fast. once i figured out the pattern of which attack to deflect to send him off balance he became easy as pie

Oxxidation posted:

counter the follow-up as well and he'll stumble, that's how i managed to beat him

I'll have to try this, I just keep getting wrecked. I've gotten him close by cheesing it and basically running in with ash or sparks to stagger him and chipping him then baiting out his non-Perilous three hit combo and using Nightjar to chip again.

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got to some Shinobi Hunter miniboss and wish there was a sculptor stone closer to him. I ended up choosing to port out (is there no cooldown or limit on using the "hearthstone" item?) because I didn't want to lose the ~800 sen I had saved and wanted to use on getting the firecracker (which I ended up getting, increasing my ninja tool count to 4). I have a terrible time navigating these areas.

I'm guessing the pouches you can buy for 110 sen contain 100 sen? If so, an extra 10% seems like a pretty low price to avoid losing your money on death. (edit: just noticed that yes, they sell for 100. That's good and I'm going to convert pretty much all my money to these after buying maintenance stuff like beads, etc)

Also, is it just me or is the Mikiri counter easier to execute than regular parries?

edit: Generally speaking, is it "safe" to engage groups of melee enemies (without archers/guns mixed in) if you just parry everything? I've been kind of paranoid about engaging groups of more than 2 guys.

FYI, you can open the main door from that path. When you come up the stairs/ramp after the bonfire where you get the flame vent, you turn left. You can go unbar the door. Then if you die at the Shinobi Hunter, you can bypass the first alleyway from behind, kill the two dudes in front of the shrine, the two shield dudes + goon on the stairs, and you're right back at the Hunter's little area.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Is there really a benefit to upgrading the shurikens before fighting her? I thought the timing to knock her out of the air with the default shuriken was pretty easy.

It's not too bad, but if you chuck a regular shuriken at her while she's on the rope, she sometimes deflects it. You gotta wait for the Perilous kanji or for her to backflip off to nail her. I did it without the upgraded shuriken, and because I'm a dumb idiot hellfucker, the only upgrade I made was the sparks cuz I was hoping it'd make the bull easier (it did not)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hey thanks for the advice on seven Spears, I wiped the floor with him on my next attempt.

Then I smoked the one armed freak in the well or whatever to open up the Abandoned Dungeon. And proceeded to get demolished by Snake Eyes Shirahagi

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lmao about to beat Shirahagi by standing on top of Buddha and letting this fucker poison himself to death :darksouls:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Wtf is this spooky ghost village gently caress these assholes who phase out of existence!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok so am I correct in thinking that for ORin of the Water, she's only vulnerable after a Perilous or ash/firecracker and so it's a long game of patience with her? I can't find any openings otherwise so I'm not sure if I'm on it or if I've missed the trick to her

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

That's not the only time, you can get a hit in basically after every chain. But yes, you're guaranteed to get a couple after she does the five hit combo ending with the perilous attack. She's really easy just takes a minute, be patient.

Yup, just got her by basically making sure to parry everything and jump on her head. Her Posture meter was smaller than I thought and she attacks so aggressively that it was easier to fill than I was expecting initially

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Corrupted Monk is a fun fight that I suck at because the parry timing is delayed due to wind-up and I can't read the animation difference between thrust and sweep on him

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Welp. Spent the afternoon getting stomped in Mibu by Corrupted Monk. might need to come back later when I have a bit more health or healing or find some confetti and red sugar. This boss feels way more punishing when you goof up than Gyobu or Butterfly

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Is that your third main boss? If so definitely skip for now that's firmly a later game fight

Your Computer posted:

you're "intended" to do that boss quite a bit later, so don't worry about it

I did it as my third boss and it basically required a full 10 minutes of not messing up while slowly chipping it down :v:

Ok I'll give it a shot later then.

...after I try the advice from goblin week... :ninja:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok I went back through and wound up at Gun Fort and killed this weird centipede Voldo dude? am I at a dead end for now, the cave below the floor just opens to an abyss and the door is locked

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hahaha I have no confetti for this freak in the Abandoned Dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I think I'm lost lol

I love the feeling of exploration in this game. Being able to look around and see where you've been or places to go then trying to figure out how to get there