Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still think it's weird that everyone treats this like a soulsborne game when it's clearly not. They're not "taking out" stuff from Dark Souls, it's just... a different game :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's both, really. It's a natural progression from the types of changes that Bloodborne made to DS, but it's also a novel take on stealth action. The dev has already stated that certain staples of Bloodborne and Dark Souls can be expected, be it the mood/environment, storytelling techniques, death mechanic, challenging gameplay, etc.
That's fair, and even from the trailer there's obviously plenty of Souls DNA in there. I just think talking about how it "removes/adds mechanics" or "only one weapon this time" sounds kind of weird, like people are talking about a Dark Souls sequel when it's not.

Also the game looks amazing and I'm hyped as all hell :woop:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It seems to me kinda like Fromsoft's take on the modern AAA action game. More "cinematic" than the oldschool Zelda style of the Souls games but presumably, y'know.... good :v:

I'm not really a fan of those AAA action games (like the AssCreed games, Witcher, etc.) where you feel like you're just pressing buttons and suggesting to your character what to do and they always felt too floaty for me, but I have absolute confidence that if anyone can make that kind of more cinematic combat feel great it's Fromsoft :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't give up , Samurai !

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is me: :woop:

the game is everything i dreamed of

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

Use DS4Windows as normal and set the controller profile in steam to Playstation Configuration Support in settings > controller > general controller settings. As long as you have the gyro and poo poo turned off in DS4Win it shouldn't be a problem. It's kind of annoying to have to do this, but at least it works flawlessly. If it doesn't, there's a thread on the Steam forums that has a bunch of dumb attempts at fixes for various controllers and a whole lot of "go easy on FROM they're new to this" bullshit so good luck with that, I guess.
I use a PS4 controller and don't use DS4Win, Steam just straight up supports them now. I did have to configure it to turn off gyro and such but you can also just do that from Steam.

The button prompts being wrong kinda sucks though :v: Press 'X'! No, the other 'X'! Also for some reason the camera settings are off? Changing the camera speed seems to do absolutely nothing and it's pretty fast. I have an old Xbox 360 controller that I used in previous fromsoft games (left stick is loose so I don't use it anymore) and when I connected that one the camera worked fine. How on earth this happens I have no idea.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Also for some reason the camera settings are off? Changing the camera speed seems to do absolutely nothing and it's pretty fast. I have an old Xbox 360 controller that I used in previous fromsoft games (left stick is loose so I don't use it anymore) and when I connected that one the camera worked fine. How on earth this happens I have no idea.

Never mind, I figured it out! By default steam apparently sets the PS4 right stick to work as both a right stick and your mouse pointer, and I guess Sekiro got confused by this and counts it as mouselook instead of right stick. Changed it to standard right stick input and it works fine :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

Weird question but is anyone's game (on nvidia?) looking either too dark or kinda washed out? Only the tutorial so far but it's feels a bit hard to see stuff.
the tutorial was pretty washed out for me too, though the next area is looking a lot better. Game is insanely gorgeous.

also I had my first bug :pram:

https://i.imgur.com/YYpf7sE.mp4

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I see some people complaining about controller issues on steam. Anyone manage to get switch pro controller working reliably yet? I tried it on mine but for some reason it started moving the mouse pointer with gyro controls which really annoyed me so i switch to xbox controller and it worked okay. I'd still prefer to use switch pro though cos i'm really used to it.
sounds like the same issue with the PS4 controller - the Steam default settings are terrible

you need to go through Steam Big Picture to change them, just turn off the gyro and set the right stick to be right stick only (if it does that with the switch controller too)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

the treasure carp. most of the time they're too deep and you whiff, other times you just whiff because ????

yeah I couldn't figure out how to damage them either, other than throwing shurikens and that doesn't deal nearly enough damage to kill them.

lonter posted:

I've found two of them and both were instantly killed by me dashing in water and doing a normal attack..

:ssh: there are a bunch more deeper under water

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dumb question but where do I spend all my money? I've only found the one vendor on the top of a plateau in the very first area who sold a couple of things and nowhere else to spend my money, am I missing something?

ymgve posted:

same but every miniboss

also every normal enemy

gently caress
:same:

Artelier posted:

Is this more of a combat game or more of a stealth/ingenuity game? I haven't really kept up and just saw that this came out today, so am wondering if I should get it early.

For reference, I am a big fan of specifically Bloodborne and its fast combat pace, and I am not so great at stealth games like MGS or what have you. This looks like a mix of both, wondering which way it leans towards. No I have never played Tenchu.
it feels like you can sorta choose for yourself. I've been playing it heavily stealth-focused because I think that's a lot of fun, but you could also just run in head first and die fight everything head-on.

that said, some of the encounters are bonkers hard already in the first area. Stealthing around and taking out archers are stuff is going to make it a lot easier.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Not sure which one you refer to here, might be one I've missed. Here's those I've found:
I haven't met any horse boss so I guess I'm just not far enough in the game yet?

currently struggling with the bell memory thing. You take so god drat much damage in this game, like simple pushes or kicks with zero windup deal half your HP. The kind of "attack" that in the Souls games just pushed you back.

I'm extremely bad at this game, it's hard to read what your opponent is going to do, how many times they're going to do it and which one of your several options you should use

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Victory Position posted:

beware of chicken therefore try fire
I'm currently bashing my head into this purple shinobi and I think I just don't understand parts of the combat yet - I'm trying to just parry/dodge to get a feel for the moves but sometimes parrying works and other times it doesn't and I can't figure out what's going on yet

like I think some moves, even if you parry them, put you in a sort of "knocked down" state? and it trips me up every time, which is bad because he two-shots me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electronico6 posted:

You can just leave the bell memory. Actually I don't think you can even finish it in one go.

My advice is to get the axe and flamethrower upgrade in that memory place, and continue the path in the Ashina castle until you have more healing and power.
I already got those, yeah. I wanted to deal with the side area before continuing but if you can't even finish it I guess I'll give up :saddowns:

as soon as I went back I found another merchant too, the thief I met earlier in the memory!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah there are some iframes, I dodged through an arrow instinctively and was surprised that it worked. Feels like less than base Dark Souls 2 though.
what? I've dodged through a bunch of stuff, it doesn't feel any stricter than say, Bloodborne

goferchan posted:

gently caress I killed him lol
:rip:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZZZorcerer posted:

The game clearly says what is and isn't parryable, you can't parry sweeps (jump) and grabs (dodge).

What attack killed you?
I think what's confusing is that it's sometimes hard to tell if you blocked or parried an attack. It took me a while to even realize that I had a block :v:

Everyone saying you gotta start parrying when the enemy winds up their attack are probably blocking and not parrying. That's also probably what happened to me with the purple shinobi - it looks like if you block a strong attack (or perhaps also parry in the case of real slow wind up attacks?) you're forced down on your knees which fucks with all of your inputs (and will probably get you hit)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the game has been running super well with no fuss on my GTX 1060 and i5-8400

also I got to the horse boss now. Are you just kinda SOL if you get caught in the whirlwind attack? None of my buttons seemed to do anything. And what's with the grappling? I assume it's because of the skill I got, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than getting me hit. I got it on the ogre as well, I can grapple onto the enemy but I'm just left in a bad position, it doesn't... do anything?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if I had one criticism so far it's that it feels like the tools are useless most of the time?

like I get using fire on the ogre, axe on wooden shields and firecrackers on the horse but for 90% of the fights they just seem kinda slow and not really worth using?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

How do you use the second res? I had both circles filled in but it killed me without me having a choice to use the 2nd

there's a cooldown after you die

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm at work so I can't check but I don't remember that being right. O/B is the dodge, L1/LB is parry. You can either parry the lunge or dodge and follow up with an attack.

you mean thrust attacks, not lunge

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how do you deal with kicks? can you even parry kicks? I feel like every enemy who kicks does like 10 in a row and mixes it up with a bunch of other poo poo

I keep getting my rear end kicked (heh) by every single enemy who kicks and I feel like I have no way of dealing with it

The Kingfish posted:

Sekiro good? Should buy?

it's hella

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you can parry a dog or chicken's lunge I feel like you should be able to parry a kick

that's true

I'm thinking maybe it's loving me up is that you can't guard it so if you mistime a single parry you're just kicked around?

Funso Banjo posted:

Is Japanese with English text the best option for most people? I imagine that's what nearly everyone is choosing,.

who plays a japanese game set in fantasy japan where you play as a shinobi and talk to samurai but switches the voices to english lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh my god I finally defeated the purple shinobi :sax:

extremely worth it, this reward is awesome

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

Poor Kokube, thought of gunpowder and died

:allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there really literally no other way to deal with shield guys than the axe? I've tried all my moves, gadgets and everything but they're completely impervious and will turtle until the heat death of the universe

I guess you're just forced to use the axe in any area with them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait I'm an idiot you can change your tools freely can't you, for some reason I thought you could only do it at not-bonfires :cripes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

There is a Shinobi art that lets you vault over enemies and backstab in combat, but it says they already have to be posture broken to do it? Like wouldn't that just let you stab them from the front anyway? It sounds completely useless as is but maybe the description is just bad.
yeah I wonder what the deal is with that skill. Maybe there's some special property to backstabs?

also I just beat the drunkard but siegmurai didn't survive :( how on earth are you supposed to pull that off

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
gotta say, as cool as this mikiri counter looks it sure doesn't do a whole lot

enemies just seem to kinda shrug it off?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It's not an attack, it thrusts their weapon into the ground to throw them off balance and do poise damage. Which it does pretty well! The animation does look a bit silly though. I wish Sekiro didn't dodge when you hit B/Circle while neutral because they made B/Circle also be the "special counter" button and it looks real dumb and like you didn't do it right!

I mean, I know that and I got it because I thought "hey, that would work great against this spear general but it fills up the posture meter so little it's empty again by the time he does his next attack :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Yea does that dude drop something amazing when you beat him because otherwise I am tired of getting my rear end kicked by him and will just avoid.

he's killed me more than anything else in the game

the reward is a sick new shinobi tool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

The person who said to beeline and grind for the skill that gives HP on deathblows is right, this makes things much more manageable.
yeah it's a real gamechanger, it makes things a lot easier

weird to have it as a skill, it seems like a big enough deal that it should've been a core game mechanic

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Expect My Mom posted:

Aaaaaand I'm giving Dragonrot to people I haven't met yet.....

don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure I've already infected the entire game world

it's gonna be fine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so the post in the OP about dragonrot is pretty vague - what exactly constitutes a "reason" for curing it?

I feel pretty bad for giving everyone the flu and I've got a couple of droplets, but I guess I should be saving them?

CJacobs posted:

Question for anyone who is farther along in the game (boss fight reward spoiler): Is there any reason not to consume defeated boss memories? Is it just a "don't do this if you want a personal challenge" type of thing or are there rewards for saving them instead of confronting them?
I was wondering about the same thing but I came to the conclusion that it's just because Sekiro doesn't have stats in the traditional way so the only way you can do a "low level run" is to not spend your beads and memories Just a guess though v:shobon:v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
btw the fish scale dude is totally just the toilet hand from majora's mask right

dmccaff posted:

If the penalty for death is losing half xp and money, does death just after levelling up mean you'll 'de-level' or is it minimised to your current level?
you only lose the xp in the bar, not levels. In other words you only lose progress towards your next level, not permanent progress

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

So my game was locked at 20fps on an i7-8700k running at 5 gigs with a 12 gig 1070. No matter what my settings, always 20 fps.

Did some research, apparently if you have 2 monitors and an nVidia card the game shits itself and doesn't run at higher than 20fps.

What the gently caress is this? How is that a thing they didn't realize before shipping? Holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

I'm on a GTX 1060 with two monitors and it's smooth as butter for me, no tech issues whatsoever

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is hard and also there is something really scary down in this ravine and I don't like it.

What am I supposed to do about a giant snake?????

:allears: possibly my favorite part of the game so far

it's just BAM out of loving nowhere, GIGANTIC snake
I didn't follow the pre-release, did they show this off at any point? If not, I'm looking forward to seeing people's reaction to it on their first playthrough

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

this game, visually, looks like poo poo.

nah

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

Why is this purple ninja in the estate so loving hard. I've died more on him alone than the rest of the game and this is after leaving and doing other stuff and coming back.

Please someone give me one weird trick to kill him, I'm dying here.
git gud

or maybe git gourd

for real though I've beaten two bosses now and still probably have more deaths to that than the rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i must've just whizzed right by the purple ninja, where's he at? i've already cleared the entire estate and i'm up to the interior of the castle after the flaming bull and the miniboss spear samurai outside the moonlight tower where you rescued the kid at the start of the game

very well hidden
try looking near the river :ssh: