Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
im currently in nightmare hell dealing with owl at the hirata estate memory. can't even take one pip off the guy. any suggestions outside of "don't get hit"? that seems to be what the basis of the gameplay is but i'm...still working on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i did it, but at the cost of my physical and mental health. thanks goons. just isshin now.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

HESITATION

IS

DEFEAT

im hesitating and wouldn't you believe it!! he keeps defeating me!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

1. king's field

fun hater
May 24, 2009

today i did laundry and started a new file to practice so i can try the gauntlet stuff but lol im already crashing and burning at ashina castle. that seven spears guy in the reservoir is a dick

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Backstab and cook him to death, gently caress fighting fair

oh my god i forgot i can bbq him, thank you

e: hey, using the flame vent is fair play, that guy is like 2 feet taller than me and probably 300 pounds heavier. sekiro is just a little man

fun hater
May 24, 2009

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i dont care about ruining the taught and somber atmosphere of this game about the cycles of destruction!! i want gestures!! im tired of having to throw my rear end in a circle to communicate

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, I found the bosses to be the worst parts of those games.

id kill to do the pthumerian queen fight again without having to do.......all the stuff.....required....

fun hater
May 24, 2009

isnt the purpose of chained ogre just to encourage you to use your shinobi tools and experiment with how they can help you. he's a totally fine first boss. i think the real problem i ran into is that i didn't hit a boss where the intent truly was to run up their parry meter more than their health bar until i hit genichiro where i just slammed right into a wall forever because i kept playing the game like soulsbornes.

the way i fought blazing bull was...i didn't even know you could parry it until like last week. i've been dancing around it like its a bloodborne creature like a moron.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

simply be like me, a little bitch, and stun lock the monkeys with mortal blade

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i once again regret to inform everyone i started a new game when the update dropped and am stuck at owl father in the hirata memory once more

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BigHandsVince posted:

If you buy everything from the merchants (I've found 2, so far), is there anything else to spend gold on? I've got like 3500 and want to spend it before taking on Juzou or Gyobu.

the best thing to do is bank it in the form of buying the money purses but otherwise money flows pretty plentiful in this game.

Oscar Wild posted:

You can buy sugars, theyre kinda useful. Or emblems.

okay, emblems are also a safe bet im always running out of those things

fun hater
May 24, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember laughing so hard when I killed the ape and he popped up again

And then I remember laughing even harder when I fought the ape and a second ape popped up.

I know they had a boss that was literally 4 monkeys but I was kinda expecting the game to just keep ramping up the ape numbers instead. Last boss is an Ape and you kill him and an Ape comes out of his dead body, and each phase more and more apes come out to fight you

isshin cuts his neck open and a huge monkey hand reaches out to grab his semi-automatic pistol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah I beat every boss in the game and Seven Spears still trips me up pretty reliably.

every seven spears really chafes me lol. those guys are so tricky.

Zerilan posted:

Lady Butterfly has beaten me down a lot so far. Keep going a bit further in the castle then coming back. The Seven Spears guy sucks even getting the first bar down with a stealth kill. His thrust is so delayed that it makes the counter timing weird on the mikiri, and he has a load of health/posture to wear down.

lady butterfly used to tear me apart as well. i dont know if it helps to know but it's a stamina drain battle: concentrate on deflecting almost exclusively. play defensively and only get offensive on the illusions to disperse them if you're out of seeds. as soon as i figured out that trying to lower her hp was pointless and just opened me up to get shredded, it was like day and night

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i just beat her again on ng+ and my advice was in fact poo poo advice. theres way more opportunities to hit than i was remembering lol.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ostrava posted:

There's a section of the reservoir area that has a good cluster of enemies I'm sort'a farming to warm back up. There's a spear Samurai boss up there as well. Seemed a good place to shake off the rust.

oh my god eek lol god speed goon

fun hater
May 24, 2009

skasion posted:

The weirdest thing is that by far the most useful boss fight for the spear-pull is Guardian Ape, but the game tells you nothing about it

dont quote me on this, but i think you can do this same trick on true corrupted monk. i only discovered the mechanic existed at all through the wiki.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Imhotep posted:

You can’t, but you can grapple to the tallest tree branch and jump off while she’s invisible after you do the first death blow, and aim towards the center of the bridge and right when you get near her, the death blow marker will show up and so will she and you can skip phase two. But no, you can’t use the spear.

i love that trick and i discovered it by accident the first time i fought her. i had no idea it was a secret. i just fled into the trees because i was a coward.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bike tory posted:

The headless are not bosses and should be ignored completely on every playthrough.

Like for real I think they set out to design the most annoying enemy they could think of. And succeeded.

there is absolutely no benefit to fighting the headless and now i skip them on every single play through i do. my god. my god. five loving times with these things.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bike tory posted:

You can parry it! It's an effect that hits multiple times per second though so I don't think it's possible to parry all of it.

w.

what

fun hater
May 24, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

the lilac umbrella upgrade just completely nullifies the scream

yeah this is what i do but iirc on that first run its a lil harder to get the ingredients for it in time for monkey trouble

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Squiggle posted:

You don't even need the lilac umbrella, any of them will totally block it.

WHAT???

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i hate this loving game

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its nuts that with the memory bell mechanic we didnt get the tomoe dlc they were telegraphic from space in this game. c'mon, i wanna see the fish (?) lady

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the only thing i cant make sense of in sekiro, because otherwise its pretty straight forward and any of the extra stuff you find or want to infer is cherry on top stuff, is the timeline. the 3 years between the events of the hirata estate and the well. what happened there.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bike tory posted:

Tomoe is just a normal human. You see her corpse when you get to the top of fountainhead palace and activate the dragon fight

huh. that didnt really read to me as tomoe. i thought she was buried next to takeru

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the lone shadow that spawns right before great owl shinobi blipped out of existence while i was in the middle of beating on him today. i mean like he was there one second and gone the next. he and his healthbar left but the fog doors were still up. weirdest bug i've encountered so far in this game. ive never seen a fromsoft game boss just decide to stop existing for no reason.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BioThermo posted:

I once had Dad go into his owl and not come out. Fucker straight up rage quit on me.

thinking about this and laughing really hard

fun hater
May 24, 2009

g-c posted:

i’m gonna be honest i think variations of shuriken, long spark, and umbrella are all that i’ve ever touched. i hear the lazulite poison dagger is alright. i haven’t even tried the whistle or the leaf, etc and i don’t know what they’re good for lol

on an unrelated note, i spent 40-50 hours beating the game for the first time and immediately dove into NG+ and i’ve almost completed the game again already for the purification ending. wild how that works

apparently the leaf instant kills monks on senpou which is useful. the whistle is great for drawing people out one by one or making dogs/monkeys fight each other.

the one i never use is mist raven. i can't figure that one out at all lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i havent finished shura ending yet but gave access to the guantlet. maybe you just have to hit the prompt to trigger access to it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

there's a cheese strat involving climbing on parts of the level that you're not meant to be on which tricks it into jumping off the cliff. i've never tried it but some of the jumps required seem super precise and may not even be that much easier than doing it legitimately

i do it every time bc im a little bitch noob and that fight is horrible and not even fun but also because its hysterically funny to watch happen

e: the trick is there's a little bit of air on the watch tower corner you can walk onto, you have to jump from THAT. not the corner itself

fun hater fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 23, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

How many bosses aren't person with sword?
theres two kinds of people in this world. man with a sword, or monkey with friends

fun hater
May 24, 2009

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Thought about it for a sec, and: wow, this game does not have very many optional bosses at all. If you're going for the Purification ending, the Headless Ape (a slightly tweaked version of a previous boss) is the only optional boss in the game, I think??? Not counting the two that are exclusive to the Shura ending path.

And even then, doesn't it lock you into its boss arena once the fight starts? So if you haven't activated any of the idols past its chamber prior to defeating Guardian Ape, the rematch becomes mandatory

demon of hatred and inner father are optional (? right? i think). but it is pretty minimal huh.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Yeah I forgot about Demon of Hatred somehow, lol

I'm not counting all the "Inner" fights because they're just slightly tweaked versions of existing bosses added in a patch that you access through a menu. If you're talking about the non-gauntlet Hirata fight, then that one is mandatory for the Purification ending

im dumb i didnt mean inner father. youre right tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

he did it just to be hosed up and evil