Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

:shrug: I have went through Bloodborne a ton of times and rarely parry anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If Japanese was good enough for Geralt it's good enough for Sekiro

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at the loving subs vs. dubs argument about a FROM game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the recent tomb raider game had an option to have all the dialogue in the local languages only lara refused to stop speaking english so she just came across as the most obnoxious tourist ever because she clearly understood what they were saying but refused to speak back to them in their language

That sounds great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't have any particular problems with Bloodborne's early game.

I did proceed to die to all the easy bosses afterwards for no goddamn reason though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Thinking From games are perfect when they are littered with problems and dumb choices and often straight up laziness is hilarious. Enemy attacks clip through walls horrifically, armor and weapons have huge clipping issues, they don't animate NPCs at all to "save money" which made sense for like, maybe ds1. They reuse weapon movesets to lamely increase variety, mechanics are hidden from the player and sometimes literally don't work, ability scaling and gemming is horrendously overcomplicated and often confusing, etc etc

Yes the core gameplay is awesome and the games are fun as hell, which is all the matters, but I've seen multiple people call bloodborne or one of the souls games "perfect."

That's because Bloodborne is perfect

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your favorite souls game is the worst one and the one you like the least is the best one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Blood vials aren't rare they shower you in them except for the first fifth of the game.

They are rare for the exact person who needs them the most: a person who isn't very good at the game and therefore takes a lot of hits and dies a lot.

It's an unnecessary punishment for people who are already struggling

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

I stop reading every time someone here says "none of these games are really like that hard" like motherfucker you've played five of these games

cool that you've reprogrammed your mind to be able to dodge the great festering lizards boil blasts on your first time but not everyone has

I don't think the base content of Demon's, DS1 or DS2 were that bad, just decently challenging. They upped the difficulty significantly with DLC though, especially with DS3 and Bloodborne.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

so many of the written reviews I've read say poo poo like "im terrible at this game" which makes me think they didn't even get that far and are just following the same credo as others do whenever a Naughty Dog/Fromsoft/Zelda game comes out, just assign it a 9 and call it a day, probably gonna wait for a Giant Bomb postgame takes since the guy who plays these actually seems like he'd know about the intricacies of what makes it different.

Please don't expect a nuanced, informative takes about souls games on Giant bomb, you will be disappointed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

from software pc ports have always skirted the bare minimum of effort, it's not too much of a shocker they didn't include ultrawide support for the 5% of people who use it

5% is far too generous

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

so is it unlocked after you do the vpn thing or do you have to be behind the vpn every time you play (prior to the true unlock).

You need to be on the VPN or turn steam into offline mode

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Not to me, if you stay blissfully ignorant then what does it matter?

Not launching at all hasn't been a problem in a long long time unless your PC is ancient. What is an issue is that some games just run less than ideally on less powerful setups, which is also something that is increasingly often becoming a problem with modern consoles.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 21, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

not playing Horizon or god of war is missing out my man

they were ok

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

You're ok. They were the best games of their respective years.

Neither really blew my socks off.

Horizon in particular was just yet another AAA open world game. I guess the combat was pretty fun but didn't carry it much further imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious as to what you think were better.

Well, I found an old GOTY list of mine for 2017 and it was

1. Hollow Knight
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Divinity Original Sin 2
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Nier Automata
6. Tales of Berseria
7. Prey
8. Nioh
9. Evil Within 2
10. Persona 5

I think I'd change some if I thought about it more now but that's what it was. Horizon was probably 11 or something.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 21, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I guess my issue is outside of level design, From games literally are told via a bunch of text explaining things, and then like 30 seconds of cutscenes where half the dialogue consists of rueful/crazed laughter

Yeah it's great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

absolutely not. I put like 200 hours into DS3 and I have no idea what the story is besides there are some Lord's and I have to link the fire to do something?

the story is like whatever you want it to be man, woah

No but seriously, I love piecing that stuff together.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

no. I'm guessing my experience isn't rare either. You spend a couple of hours fighting and somehow get 15 seconds of vague exposition from an unanimated NPC. It's bad storytelling.

I'll take that style of storytelling in games any day over the traditional style. And I like normal cutscene stuff too!

I guess it's just not for you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Exactly. It's okay to like more than one kind of thing. I like Souls storytelling and I like Metal Gear Solid storytelling. Yes, even Metal Gear Solid 4.

Let's not go too far now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Look man, this is what happens when zero becomes one.

Those parts are good!

It's most of the poo poo between them that sucks!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fadam posted:

Game has a hard 60fps cap. Refunding that rear end.

:lol: if you thought that a FROM game would have an uncapped framerate

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

How are you getting a stealth blow on the ogre? He sees me and breaks out.

Leave the area

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Smol posted:

I like Souls games. I should buy this, right?

Yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

im really liking it so far, the bosses are extremely hard but they are way faster to kill if you just focus on the stagger bar and don't let up. Most of my bad attempts ill take 5 mins to die then on my good attempts I trash the boss in a minute.

Parry timing is pretty generous too.

Yeah I really like how aggressive you can be in this game when you get it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

In Ashina Castle is Old Grave just a dead end for now? I found Blackhat but it ends in a broken bridge over a chasm I can't get across. Do I have to go through Sunken Valley to get into the castle or am I missing something?

The area over the broken bridge is the first area. That's why you had to take the scenic route with the snake.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 23, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

has anyone here defeated O''rin of the Water?

if so, how? I'm beginning to think it's simply not possible with my current equipment, barring a10-minute uninterrupted perfect parry sequence

Yeah it's pretty much just parrying and dodging the sweep. She is really predictable so it's easier than it looks.

I think you might also be able to use divine confetti to do more damage to her as she is a ghost but I'm not sure since I didn't try.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Feeling discouraged. Currently have two obvious paths that I can see. Drunken guy and general guy after the ogre. Both surrounded by tons of mooks you need to kill before engaging them. It's wearing on me to spend 10 minutes grinding out mooks for a proper try on the bosses. The drunken guy in particular, even if I run across the rooftops to get to him to skip all those mobs, I still need to lure out those three at the front, lure out boss, kill other three, wait for boss to go back, stealth attack, then fight. I had him down to 1 hit and then died, I was so loving mad. I should have got him, but I was playing too cautious. Guess I'll try again tomorrow, I'm fed up of it for tonight. Give me Souls styles fog doors over this poo poo any day.

The general guy(and other guys like him) is an optional sub-boss so you can just go past him if you feel stuck. They do give items that permanently increase your max health and posture so killing them is recommended.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

What do you do against the Corrupted Monk? His pose goes down SO loving fast I've never be close to filling up the bar. Also the Mikiri Counter and Jump off the enemy counter for sweep attacks don't do poo poo for breaking his pose eve though they're supposed to right? I have this guy's moves pretty much down pat and the fight isn't hard but I literally just can't attack him enough.

Enemies with lower health recover posture slower so it's just a matter of damaging him more. He's going to take a while if you aren't confident in your parrying/dodging.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Billy_Delicious posted:

Was having a good time until Juzou. Legitimately cannot beat this guy, been beating my head against last two hours. Salty as gently caress so gonna go to bed. I am scared to go througb the last couple pages because spoilers, anyone else finding this guy utterly insane?

Honestly finding him harder than nameless king at this point.

Continue with the non-memory area if you find him too difficult

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

He recovers it faster than anything I've ever faced in the game at this point. But the time I've done a bit of damage, depending on what his actions are that damage is reset by the time I can pile on more.

I mean vitality/red health damage. If an enemy has lower vitality they recover posture slower (and so do you).

Get his red health down more and you should start having no problem piling on more posture damage once he is low enough.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sweeps are the loving bane of my existence. Pressing the dodge button (or at least blocking) has been my muscle memory for so long that I always get hit by these.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its true, but also sometimes you have to be willing to take a break and walk away and when you come back fresh you're much better

Nah that's when you need to play a few hours more and get progressively worse until you reach a point of zen-like clarity and no-hit the bos

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

wonder if I'll ever actually beat a headless besides the underwater one

I'm hesitant to even try them since having to use a seemingly rare consumable item before you can do poo poo to them is really lame

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Dark Souls 1 is my favourite because it's slower and had the option to hide behind a shield, instead of mastering i-frame dodge roll timing. I still enjoyed Bloodborne.

But Dark Souls 3 gave every boss non-stop sweeping combos that do half your healthbar and I haaaaaaated it. Had to resort to summoning to cheese p much every boss once I hit The Dancer. Just can't seem to git gud at the timing on that poo poo and it's way less enjoyable than managing distance and stamina to me.

Will I hate Sekiro?

Most likely yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Would you enjoy dark souls 3 if parry was your only attack and most enemies were capable of 1- or 2-shotting you? If yes, judging by most people's reactions it'll probably be one of your contenders for GOTY.

If you don't like DS parry, then you're like me and it'll probably be one of the best games you've ever hated.

Eh, I never liked parrying in DS/Bloodborne but comes to me much easier in this game. Block and parry being the same button helps a lot since it doesn't punish as hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Davincie posted:

blue samurai drop confetti, for those that need more

Also you get the ability to just buy it near the endgame

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really want to see what a non-prayer bead/non-memory run of this is going to look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stokes posted:

I really don't like that they tie mechanical arm use to a consumable that you can run out of. Oops I died and have zero spirit things better buy some more. Oh I don't have enough sen I better go grind. It's loving dumb. When are you ever not going to go into battle without the maximum amount of tool uses?

You could just continue without the tool a bit and then use the money to buy more when you get to the next idol. Using less tools for a bit isn't that big of a deal.

(I agree that it's a bit dumb)