Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inner Genichiro rules. Got my rear end kicked by Fire Isshin from lack of practice and havent found who the second new(?) boss on the second gauntlet might be (Emma is sadly still a mere speed bump despite being cool as poo poo)

Do the boss gauntlets scale with your NG+ count? My only save file is at like NG+4 and I'd rather play them with a balanced level first. Also wish I could get the Kuro Charm only for certain bosses.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skasion posted:

This message vocab is so good. “Gamefowl...?, surely not worthy opponent”

It's pretty good but due to a glaring oversight I'm unable to leave my fellow shinobis vital warnings of holes or to tell them to watch out for the tongue of the big snake

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 30, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mymla posted:

Dark souls is actually pretty bad. Sekiro is the only good game fromsoftware has made.

going to see if you ever made a post in c-spam so i can probate you for this one

e: not really this is a joke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fyi i have defended my honor after this post, as sekiro would have wanted

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bloodborne doesn't exist because it didn't come out on PC

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gyobu on a fresh save with the bell demon and without the charm is no joke

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 2, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not on PC, you can't.

you can minimize it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao Inner Genichiro reflecting my reflected lightning back at me like Ganondorf rules

gently caress his stupid spiral cloud passage combo though and how he won't let me just walk backwards out of its range anymore

e: i wish i could try and beat the gauntlets with the charm and then give the charm back to try without it

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 10, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In Inner Genichiro phase 3 are you unable to dodge forward to get under the third attack in the big cyclone move? I've died a few times to it now but I'm not sure if I'm just screwing up the timing.

e: agree that charmless rules. Parrying in sekiro is fair unlike in dark souls because you have to time your button presses to the enemy's attacks instead of their attacks plus some mysterious number of lag frames.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 11, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yergacheffe posted:

That attack tracks much better than in his other phases. Before, you could dash under and he would straight up miss you, but in phase 3 it seems like he's gonna hit no matter what so your timing has to be good enough to either iframe it or deflect.

I switched to parrying the third hit and then figured out that if you do so then after parrying it you have enough time during his recovery animation to bonk him twice with the Ichimonji Double. This was the last trick I needed to figure out to be able to beat him. Its a good boss fight.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The infected people don't ever die. The only mechanical downsides are losing the unseen aid chance and if a quest npc is infected you won't be able to advance their quest until you cure them.

I only ignored it when I was grinding at a boss because I really wanted the unseen aid. The doodads you use to cure everyone are sold by merchants for like 200 money so they're not expensive.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tirranek posted:

It's so weird that the first big challenge you face is the Chained Ogre, who has almost nothing to do with the flow of the rest of the game

My roommate played the game several months after me and he said the chained ogre was hard as hell but he finally beat him then I was like "yeah it's hard until you figure out how to use the flamethrower" and he was like "the what?"

i dont think i died more than a couple times to him. the first big challenge for me was the kicking ninja in the well and specifically the camera freaking out in the cramped space

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skasion posted:

Imo he works as an intro to a couple concepts that will be important later — red eye fire weakness, how to deal with grabs, how to deal with big enemies who rush you down, how to use grappling hook during combat.

he's practice for the guardian ape i guess

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dual monkeys goes from easy as hell to one of the hardest fights in the game when you play without the charm

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BigHandsVince posted:

If you buy everything from the merchants (I've found 2, so far), is there anything else to spend gold on? I've got like 3500 and want to spend it before taking on Juzou or Gyobu.

the money sacks exist so that you can save your money before a boss battle in exchange for a 10% fee

did you get the expensive knife thing from the ex-bandit peddler?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sekiro: Apes Die Twice

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bike tory posted:

did they fix the bug where corrupted monk keeps killing me because I'm old and slow?

i've been trying the severance boss rush and i feel the exact opposite. I haven't died to Corrupted Monk once yet in it but seem to lose to Great Shinobi almost half the time and occasionally gently caress up against guardian ape

Genichiro Tomoe is still a joke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah there's a fire-themed palette swap of the drunkard/the glutton that you can strip the armor off of on the road to the demon of hatred

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bike tory posted:

I guess at least they made it so you can parry perilous thrusts? But yeah I can't think of a reason why they'd make it a skill and not a base ability.

It makes sense to delay introducing some of the moves to not overwhelm the player at the beginning.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zerilan posted:

After getting Lady Butterfly and Seven Spears down every other fight's felt a lot less frustrating to learn. Up to getting the mortal blade now.

The dojo miniboss was incredibly satisfying when I got the deflect timing right and the fight was over in 5 seconds. The battle at the roof took probably half a dozen attempts.

Don't think I've played a game where the combat has felt this satisfying when you land a good combo or nail a series of deflections.

yeah it's so good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cool av posted:

After weeks of working on clearing the 3 gauntlets, and finally getting the last one down, I threw off the training weights of demon/charm and cleared the mortal journey in a single try! Feels good.

Not sure if inner father or inner Isshin was tougher but both are pretty nuts. I think I spent longer on Isshin.

I had a lot more trouble on Inner Isshin. He and Inner Genichiro took me a bunch of tries but Father just two.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fire does chip damage through parries

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My PS4 is out of commission right now. Can you do the gauntlets without the charm?

Yeah you can do them with or without the charm and demon bell.

I beat them charmless but without the bell.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i killed the stair general by doing a plunging deathblow to take out his first lifebar then ran around and wailed on the musket guys since you can break their posture after maybe three hits combined with a bunch of dashing around to try and evade the occasional musket shot and also when the general got too close

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah Genichiro's signature multi-hit combo is the same combo the fountainhead palace enemies use and also one of the hidden skills you get (I think you get it from one of the pot guys) whose flavor text says it was a move tomoe used.

Emma's Ashina Cross having crazy range and being at a perfect 90 degree angle compared to Isshin's and Wolf's both having shorter range and looking much sloppier (especially wolf's) is pretty cool.

Isshin's signature move though is clearly shooting you with a gun

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tomoe prequel when

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you can get all the way to the main temple in senpou but you can't use the bell that takes you to the monkeys fight. instead you can talk to the head monk who turns up dead later

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zerilan posted:

I'm up now to who I assume is the final boss and what the gently caress is this whole poo poo

Hesitation is defeat.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Final Gen you should be able to beat untouched. He's so aggressive he just about posture breaks himself. You just have to stay calm and watch out you don't mess up a perilous attack.

The scary parts are that you might flub a parry in his long combo and take damage if you don't have the charm and also after you parry his jump stab he sometimes does a sweep when you expect a thrust

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zerilan posted:

gently caress

YES

Well... done... Sekiro...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah now try the boss at the end of hirata estate

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best part of the ape is when they make you fight him again and then another ape shows up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah I would consider starting over if I was in your place since trying to do ashina castle while totally out of practice would be hard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

genichiro is definitely a big difficulty spike after the first two bosses. feel free to explore all of the castle and do its several minibosses before fighting him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bike tory posted:

Ape feels very different to other bosses I think mostly because he doesn't really react to your attacks. Most Sekiro bosses are forced into a defense->counter attack moveset but ape launches into the same attack patterns regardless of what you're doing. It makes him easier to predict but also more frustrating to land hits on imo.

In other news this game gets really loving spicy around NG5. Most bosses can basically one shot you on charmless/demon bell.

Inner Genichiro discovers the ability to tank your attacks during the windup to his super move and that was the reason i got hit by him like 90% of the time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what i don't get is what happened to the previous divine heir whose notes kuro finds because aren't the divine heirs supposed to be immortal? and why wasn't tomoe able to get the mortal blade when sekiro shows up and asks for it and the false divine child just hands it over without asking any questions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, Isshin is the dead end of his clan dynasty and Kurt is a magical boy who can extend the Ashina clan dynasty forever, and Genichiro is trying to make that happen.

Is that close?

the setting is that isshin's samurai clan (in this context basically a group of feudal warlords) staged a rebellion against the "central ministry" which i guess is supposed to be shogunate and broke their territory free from the central ministry's control. but since he's old and infirm now the central ministry feels confident enough to try and retake the area. you can find central ministry spies scouting out the region in advance of a military assault throughout the game

genichiro is functionally the clan head now since isshin is ill but he thinks he and the clan can't fend off the central ministry without using kuro's blood and is trying to convince kuro to give him the immortality that sekiro has, which he thinks will let him beat back the central ministry

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a lot of the background info is communicated only in the opening cinematic and the first time i played the game i wasnt paying very close attention to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

we do know the red one's status back then: the senpou monks still had it hidden, based on tomoe's note.

I vaguely remember the divine child of rejuvenation or whatever the girl's called talking about being unhappy with the monks but it's been a long time since I played

if you get to the senpou main temple before beating genichiro then the head monk is there (he's clearly infested, he has centipedes crawling into and out of his body) and he says he's very ashamed of having to seal the false divine child away in the inner sanctum. i assume she's upset about that. i think the head monk had decided he didn't want to keep doing the "corrupted in search of immortality" that the rest of the monks are seemingly still committed to