Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Picked up this game shortly after release, nearly put it down trying to fight Juzou the Drunkard. Nearly put it down fighting Lady Butterfly because I wasn't making progress, then powered through her fight and felt like I was clicking with the game. Didn't help that she was the first boss I had fought, not even Gyoubu before her. Nearly put it down at Owl1 because I had died >40 times. Put it down at SSI and came back with an editor just to finish it off two months later. I picked it back up under a new game with the intent on beating SSI & I've died maybe 5 times this run, almost at Owl1. I've pretty much only died to laziness and getting caught by a swarm of enemies. Felt really good to not die to either Lady Butterfly or Jinsuke Saze, the latter I perfectly parried and demolished without taking any damage. Makes me want to get exceptional and do a LP.

If you're struggling and saying the game might just not be for you, I was in exactly that boat. Sekiro was the first game in 5+ years that I actually got angry at like I was a kid again. I don't know if it's worth it, but now that I'm good it's definitely some of the most fun I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I did Owl (Father) last night and I don't like the fight as much as GS Owl. I felt like I had to do a fair bit of vitality damage before it was worth going for the posture build-up. Once I understood where I could get the damage in, it wasn't too bad though. The trick is, like GS Owl, you can dodge certain attacks that don't look that way in order to get in some damage. I think it took me 4-5 deaths, meaning it's tied with the Shinobi Masanaga fight at the start of Hirata for most deaths so far. Probably mostly due to not having done Fathers Bell my first time through.

I also wanted to ask a lore question about the Fountainhead Palace. The wedding processions ascend to the palace, and drink the water, but I don't know if this is based on real-life myth, or whether this was for all weddings versus special weddings? What do the newlyweds do after arriving at the palace? I get the feeling that they would meet with the divine dragon and receive his blessing before returning to the mortal world and continuing their lives? The state of disrepair at the palace, coupled with the loss of the everblossom tree suggests that the ritual hasn't been done for a while now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

Picked up this game shortly after release, nearly put it down trying to fight Juzou the Drunkard. Nearly put it down fighting Lady Butterfly because I wasn't making progress, then powered through her fight and felt like I was clicking with the game. Didn't help that she was the first boss I had fought, not even Gyoubu before her. Nearly put it down at Owl1 because I had died >40 times. Put it down at SSI and came back with an editor just to finish it off two months later. I picked it back up under a new game with the intent on beating SSI & I've died maybe 5 times this run, almost at Owl1. I've pretty much only died to laziness and getting caught by a swarm of enemies. Felt really good to not die to either Lady Butterfly or Jinsuke Saze, the latter I perfectly parried and demolished without taking any damage. Makes me want to get exceptional and do a LP.

If you're struggling and saying the game might just not be for you, I was in exactly that boat. Sekiro was the first game in 5+ years that I actually got angry at like I was a kid again. I don't know if it's worth it, but now that I'm good it's definitely some of the most fun I've had.

Beat Isshin after dying ~10 times, so I was at about 20-25 total deaths for the run. His second deathblow isn't very fun because his combos are so long and it can be hard to tell when he's going to immediately go into another combo. His third form is a joke though because the lightning redirect just demolishes him. The Dragon Homecoming ending really makes it feel like there was going to be DLC or an addendum. Going to do NG+ Shura ending just to experience it now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I ran into something interesting today. I started NG+2 and got to the first snake section without dying. I missed a grapple up after the eye-stab and got hit twice quickly, dropping me into an abyss and killing me. The cutscene for dying played and I returned to the temple, but the deathblow markers still haven't shown up. I received two dragonrot (sculptor and inosukes mother) and Emma was there to tell me about how crazy it was that I died and came back. I've defeated Genichiro without dying, so I'll report back if the cutscene plays again or something the next time I die, but it's really strange.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

BadMedic posted:

I've got an actual problem though: the game has a ~30% chance of crashing whenever I load an area.

I had that problem and the solution ended up being “close chrome when you play this game.” Dunno if it’s pertinent, but I hope this helps.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Beat Demon of Hatred for the first time tonight, 13 attempts. Would maybe have been easier if I had done it before NG+3 but whatever, probably not much. I just need to get two lazulite for prosthetics and ~15 skill points for the tree and I'll have platinum. I never bother for completionist stuff in most games, but I'm so close that I might as well. I'll have to farm skill points at some point, I'm guessing fountainhead palace is the best place?

Upon starting over, I wondered how far I could get with the serpents blessing & I made it to Kuro before deciding to quit for the night. Genichiro only required one gourd sip and that was because I was playing fast and loose. But I did nearly die in the Bull fight because he doesn't kill the humans in the arena so they trapped me and nearly killed me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I think I stopped having problems with Owl once I realized that even if I got hit by his anti-heal poo poo, it didn't matter because I was deflecting most of his stuff anyways. After that, I started punishing him whenever he did that.

The real boon of his anti-healing pellet is that he’ll keep doing that if you’re not afflicted with it so you can keep dodging to his left & getting a good swing at him.

Lost my first deathblow in this run to O’rin. Now I’m cleaning up a few things before going to the palace, so I can get the dragon homecoming ending. Only lost two deathblows so far & it’s my goal to beat the game losing five or less.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Got platinum & finished off the run last night. I died a couple of times at the final boss and went down to 14k sen, lol. I did perfect the “no vitality damage” loop in ISS first deathblow & that is pretty fun.
Get him to start circling you to your right & he’ll keep trying to perilous thrust. As the marker pops up, you can attack then deflect his response then attack immediately again to stop the rest of his combo & if you do it right he’ll go back to circling you so you can do it again.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Which attacks? A lot of the sweeping attacks are tough to gauge because there’s a delay between where the weapon is when the swing starts and where it needs to be for you to get the deflect. Monk isn’t too punishing if you block through the attacks and have your guard broken at the end, so long as you safety roll well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Started a NG a week after platinum-ing and used a total of eight deathblows I think. One was on ISS because I was very careless. Didn't fight DoH because I'm tired and wanted to finish it tonight, sorry!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

roadhead posted:

I'm not following, how do you only use 8 deathblows through what sounds like the whole NG run?

Yeah, I just mean resurrection nodes.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sabimaru trivializes O'Ren, which is pretty funny. It also staggers the Okami in fountainhead palace which means you can do some flashy things. They're generally easy enough to deflect a few times and kill though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

codo27 posted:

Ok I assume thats NG+ as you have triple my health and double my gourds, not that it mattered. I do have most of that down its just consistently pulling it all off, I always gently caress up and get shot or DO THE MOTERFUCKING FLIP TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE TOO SOON AND SOMEHOW GLITCH RIGHT INTO THE loving GRAB, THE CHEAPEST THING IN ANY GAME EVER. Its so fuckin garbage. I also only have the regular umbrella, not the fire thing you have. I've deflected the grab a bunch of times too but again, consistency. I think the biggest problem this morning is I have some kinda shoulder/muscle injury and its bothering me to just sit up, equal parts adding to my frustration and taking away from my concentration.

E: first try this time. Then quickly gunned down trying to cross the bridge after the fact

The easiest way to counter the grab that Snake Eyes does is to jump up and back. The Umbrella is flashier though, I'll give it that.

I was going to do exactly this when I got a chance, so thank you.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The snake in the cave requires the puppeteer ninjutsu. When you get to the end and there's the rock bridge it's guarding, you move to the left of the pillar with "ledge walk marks" and drop down. You can't see it, but there's a floor that's completely safe. walk forward and you'll quickly see a ledge to grab above you, on that platform there's a monkey who's cowering. You backstab-puppeteer it & wait for the right time to grapple where the snake was, while it's distracted.

The conversation about the Ashina Spears is about another one you fight later. He's with a samurai & if you don't take the samurai out in some way, the fight is brutal. Fortunately, you can use a gachiins and get a backstab to make it much easier.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Ah, it is every mans duty to ensure the elderly are taken care of.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's the new type of "souls-like" in that marketers will run that term into the ground because a game has social connections or people facing adversity or ladders. If you're wholly unfamiliar, it comes from the most recent Hideo Kojima game, Death Stranding.

this video is great and fully worth the whole watch. I had forgotten that one particular area would be so dangerous, till he poisoned himself.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
DoH took me 13 tries on my NG +2 run when I finally went for platinum. The breakdown was pretty normal though: first 1/3 were dying to an attack I hadn't seen, having done basically no damage, second 1/3 was spent mastering the right way to dodge stuff and finding out if you can hit him during this or that, final 1/3 was putting everything together and also dying a few times because I got stuck on terrain or the camera moved at a bad time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Old man is much harder to me if you've given up Kuro's Charm, getting deflects on One Mind is really hard. I also find ISS more fun because it really feels like putting things together.

RichterIX posted:

It's also a shame that the Emma fight is gated in the bad ending because when you hit your stride with it it's such a fun fight.

I wish that fight had two death markers and the next one had zero, tbh.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

temple posted:

You can and its pure anime.

It is, which is why I throw away most of my attempts at beating that boss. My controller died and I'm patiently waiting for a new one, but I really wanna work on getting that down.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

It is, which is why I throw away most of my attempts at beating that boss. My controller died and I'm patiently waiting for a new one, but I really wanna work on getting that down.

Update: got a new controller & beat shura ending on my 5th attempt after almost two months away. Kuros charm changes that fight in particular in ways that are cool. I didn’t manage to get a full perfect deflect on One Mind, but a few times I only took chip damage once.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, three years of chillin in the well you got tossed into after failing to protect your charge. He doesn’t look different because he’s immortal, probaby.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A solution: Use the spear-pull when headless ape staggers and falls to the ground when you deflect his very big sword slam. This does a large amount of posture damage and does not require much in the way of emblems. The purple umbrella and firecrackers are cool, but they're probably not the best use of them.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I think mechanically when you block “unblockable, but not sweeps or thrusts” stuff you allow most of the damage and posture damage through. So it is block-able, just a bad idea, unlike deflecting bullets and cows, which is a good idea.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There’s a reason the second half of speedruns is mostly using mortal draw on bosses. It’s very powerful because it does bug health damage through block and you’re guaranteed to get it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Owl is a lot like Butterfly in that if you spend a life or two just learning the tells for certain attacks and then experimenting with what to do on them, it helps a great deal. Like CV mentioned, going towards him when he tosses gunpowder is really strong and then there are different things you can do from there based on whether you want to deal vitality or posture damage, and learning how he reacts to each can help you make that decision. Like Rooftop Owl, this one has several attacks that you can sidestep at the right time and get a few swings in.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Squilla, who did a no-damage run, uploaded a randomizer run after not playing for a while. I'm only a few minutes in, but his prologue fight against Genichiro is pretty good.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

How do you play differently if you want HP over posture damage? I just attack whenever I can and am happy if the boss happened to be open to HP damage at the time.
I mean in general, not for Isshin specifically. Do you just not take Mikiri counters and instead dodge sideways?

The big one is dodging instead of blocking. If you look at a fight like Owl it can be pretty easy to see spots where he does huge attacks that can be blocked for no real gain (attacks where sekiro digs his blade into the ground, like his big overhead leap-smash) or deflected for small posture gain or dodged at the right time, allowing you to get in a few swipes on his flank while he recovers. In all the longer fights it’s not reasonable to go for 100% posture damage kills, so learning and exploiting dodge-openings will make you much more consistent. There are several fights where paying attention to which side of their body your opponents blade is on will key you in to whether they’ll be able to block an attack after an attack of their own.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just killed Owl Father. That was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in a video game and it was loving amazing. I literally cannot believe it right now.

https://youtu.be/sTsbNNCXDKs

Solid stuff, it's a really fun fight to come back to and fool around in. Both owl fights seem to want to teach you, more than any other fight, that you can get different results from an attack depending on what you do in response. His overhead is a prime target for a dodge-swipe, but once you've got the damage in, a deflection will build his bar very quickly. There's a few things like that in the fight & it means you can manipulate Owl and do all sorts of stuff.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wanted to ask you all though. Of the mushin arts, which one is worth it? I have a ton of skills and can buy empowered mortal draw, but could put those 5 points into more charms or something instead, I guess? I kind of want empowered mortal draw because I like the base version a lot. But if it’s actually objectively bad then I’ll get over it.

If you're playing seriously, empowered mortal draw is the primo choice like WaltherFeng said. Other stuff is goofy and fun, but doesn't punch through block or do as much damage.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I beat this guy!

https://youtu.be/rHIMhSMS5GE

Was probably my 20th attempt, and this was only my third time getting to the final phase so I felt like I still barely knew what was going on in the last two phases. I was basically learning some of his attacks in real time here. I fought for my life a few moments, and I got so angry at myself for repeatedly making the exact same mistake of trying to ichimongi after his big ground slam only to get shot up by his gun. But, I did it. When I saw his posture bar stick yellow, and then got a few fan blade hits in, and saw the moves I knew how to respond to?? Holy poo poo I couldn’t believe it I nearly fainted from the excitement.

Like I said in the PS4 thread, I see why this ending is the “true” ending. It’s so touching, all three of them going out west together on a new adventure.

Edit: noticed some newcomers so I added spoiler tags

Great job! I love the commitment to ichi-double, lol. I always love seeing the final fight because it shows off what people are comfortable with and enjoy a lot, along with what their weaknesses are in fights. Thanks for the video, it makes me want to do an LP.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there any way to get back to the Ashina Castle Gate area where you fight Gyobu after the endgame?

Just curious

Yeah, there are a couple I think, but I’ll say the most obvious. If you run around the castle exterior you’ll meet a soldier that begs you to help the fight in the outskirts. You’ll be able to grapple through some kites and work your way through the outskirts to the battlefield where you fought him. The path is very dangerous & has the final drunkard style enemy, along with a lot of powerful respawning enemies. It’s the best area for farming XP, as a result.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Basically everyone who goes for all skills just gets to Ashina Ablaze and farms the ninjas in the outskirts while listening to a podcast or some music for an hour or two in NG+2. It's not that bad, especially if you're also going for all prosthetic upgrades, because you'll have spent some time farming materials for that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Here's a fun fact for everyone who's already beaten the game: If you try a gauntlet in a NG before you have died, you don't get any deathmarks. I thought it was an aspect of the gauntlets, so I've beat the first one without dying at all now. I also had one run of that gauntlet end when the model for the final boss didn't load, which made things pretty difficult.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Aidan_702 posted:

finally managed to kill owl father without getting hit in 2:10 woooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APTRiuYT_Q

Impressive, really liked how you handled the gunpowder! That second form was particularly slick with the aggro.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It is almost guaranteed faster to farm end-game enemies, unless you're an absolute speed demon at running through the game or think the farming will be too boring.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Not Important posted:

I am new at this game. It is fun, but very hard. That purple dude in Hirata Estate is a jerk and I hate him. What are people's preferred strategies for kicking his poo poo in?

The dude who jumps down when you get close to the pagoda? You can leave him and come back later, it's optional. If you really wanna learn that fight then I'll say my preferred strategy is deflect his attacks, especially the kick, and give him a little slice or two when he's recovering. It's a bit slower, and probably harder if you don't have deflects down, but you'll have to learn eventually. If you made it past the Shinobi Hunter then you should be able to beat him with some patience, but you're probably best off just crossing the bridge to the burning estate proper.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
He fights mist noble and the well lone swordsman, I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how he got past mist noble before watching it. I also thought they patched out the chained ogre skip, but I guess not unless he’s running an older version?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The only really notable exception being Inner Genichiro, his triple spin will break your posture and kill you before you can get out of the stagger animation to parry the next swipe. In classic Sekiro fashion, parrying all three gives you a strong window and feels really badass. The timing was rote by the first time I beat him.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's like the game says, the more rice you eat, the better it tastes.

bop bop perano posted:

my favorite thing about rice is how crunchy it is

It was painful! poor wolf.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GodFish posted:

Wait you can do that? Huh.

Yeah, you can't run past the hunter because there's a fog wall but you can get into the river through another method in that area.

dantheman650 posted:

I’m picking this up again after bouncing off hard the first time and I’m getting farther and enjoying it. I’m not stuck at the Shibobi Hunter because I fell in the river and got around him, but I’d like to kill him. I can’t really even do any damage or hit him. I just get hit over and over and over.

I have no idea how to do the Mikiri Counter - I just get hit every time. Advice?

Once you've purchased the skill you'll want to hit 'dash' when it looks like you're about to get hit. I have a habit of dashing towards the enemy, which seems to give a few extra frames of it working but I don't know if others do this. If you don't have the skill you can still deflect (not block, timing is pretty tight too) the thrust but it's not quite as devastating to his posture. Also if it's a sweep then you'll eat dirt trying to deflect or mikiri counter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just buy divine confetti till you think you’re set, then donate the rest to the monks.