Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I have accepted that as a loadout-based mobile character action game by FROM set in magical old Japan, this is basically as close as we're gonna get to another sequel to Otogi: Myth of Demons.

I'm pretty stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Is it me or does the parry window seem very early compared to other souls games? Or maybe parrying has a longer delay before activating? I feel like I have to hit the button right when enemies wind up instead of when they're about to hit.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Fighting big dudes became way easier once I realized that the dodge is entirely a movement tool and i-frames aren't really a thing. You should be dodging repeatedly VERY early (like, when enemies are winding up) because enemies actually dont track well, they just tend to have very wide hitboxes. A successful dodge has you either directly behind or 10 feet away from your opponent by the time they swing.

If you are basically anywhere near the front half of an enemy when they attack and do not block/parry, you are getting hit. If you're going to dodge you absolutely need to do it with the idea that you're getting away from the attack entirely, which is the opposite of Soulsbourne "wait until the last moment for max i-frames" dodging.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Man the basic combat just feels so good. So far it seems that in most areas there are a handful of more powerful enemies and if you take a few minutes to assassinate them stealthily first you can take on the big groups of regular enemies that are left pretty easily.

Also, the game rewards bouncing around various grapple points and rooftops while you're fighting, and that also feels really good and satisfying. A lot of classic samurai flicks have scenes like that where the hero kinda uses hit and run tactics to separate enemies so that they can't gang up on him.

Your regular jump attack is an insanely good poke and you can reliably take down groups of enemies by hopping around like a coked-up stabby flea.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how the AI awareness works once they see you. Being caught definitely increases their field of vision by a lot, but it's not omniscient. You can still use large walls and barriers to flank alerted enemies, but you have to be very, very careful. Also if they dont know your exact position and you suddenly get in their face you can usually get in a free combo. Playing less like a samurai and more like a ninja is definitely a valid tactic if you're willing to move around constantly.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Dam I'm getting owned by that first spear mini boss

Yeah same. I dont know how to activate the "step on an enemy weapon" ability that should work on him. Every time I press o I dodge into the thrust. Maybe the stick has to be in neutral? I dunno.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm very bad at video games and I'm able to get through Sekiro well enough.

I really think a lot of people aren't playing aggressive enough. Souls games tend to be really reactive- you wait for an enemy to attack so you get an opening and react accordingly. This does not work in Sekiro. You need to be attacking your enemy nonstop because doing so forces them to block or parry, which means they're not attacking. When they do attack, you block the string back at them and then immediately resume attacking. Whoever described it as a rhythm game was dead on.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also I seriously cannot stress how generous the timing is on parrying early. Compared to soulsbourne games you can start so much sooner. Also, even if the timing is not perfect for a parry hitting the button a little early will still block the hit, which is infinitely better than being too late and just eating a sword to the face.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

"Sapozhnik" posted:

Ninja prosthetics are nice and all but there's shurikens, there's the big hit from the axe, and then there's either lock-and-key debuffs for particular enemies or just straight up useless poo poo like that raven feather thing.

Once you get the follow up attack, the feather is extremely useful for denting boss vitality quickly so that you can start filling poise quickly. Pair it with the palm slam and get deathblows real fast.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

so I'm watching someone play who set the voices to english for some godforsaken reason and am I just imagining things or is the english voice acting worse than Fromsoft's usual?

Yeah I had it set to English because I assumed it would be the same "everyone here is stoned as gently caress" style voices that past Soulsbournes have had but instead its just....not good. Not bad enough to be entertaining, just crappy.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also I hope the inevitable DLC follows in Bloodbournes footsteps and gives us the chance to be wierd centipede men or shoot giant terror beams. Give us an enemy skill tree please!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So the game has been running...okay on my basic PS4 and I haven't had any real problems...

...until I got to corrupted monk round 2

Turns out when the game is chugging along at like 5 fps parrying is very easy, but countering perilous attacks is very, very hard. I wonder if counter windows are tied to frames somehow because it felt like half my inputs were ignored.

Managed to get to the third part with no waters and took him down without getting hit though, hell yeah.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

saeaetaejae posted:

I meant that at that point in the game the ogre deals way too much damage to be any fun. If you try to engage the ogre using deflection and dodging you're simply asking for a bloody nose. Also the ogre's grabs have bullshit hitboxes.

However the advice about the next boss encounter was solid. It was an infinitely better encounter and makes me wonder why the ogre even exists.

I think part of why the ogre feels like bullshit early on is that if you're coming from souls you're not used to sprinting as an avoidance tool. In Sekiro it works wonders, though, and for grabs with large hitboxes sprinting is better than dodging. If you run from the giant windup on any of the ogres grabs then he will never get near you.

I didn't realize this until he reappears as an optional miniboss later in the game, though, at which point I was used to sprint everywhere when not guarding/parrying/attacking.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Can anybody toss me a hint (just a hint!) for Corrupted Mboat? I tried it a couple of times but noticed I did piddly poo poo damage and the suspiciously fast regenerating posture bar. Is there anything I can do in Mibu to counter this, or does it really expect me to just burn through the like 5 or 6 Confettis I was trying to save for Headless?

In general that boss requires a whole lot of damage before the vitality bar starts glowing red, but you can build up a decent headway by using fireworks early to stun and get in some damage. Also dont be afraid of its giant spin- the parry window is extremely generous and it's a great way to build posture.

While you can access that boss early its not a bad idea to save it for later either because as you mentioned it has quite a bit of health.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

speaking of that quest it's probably one of my favorite things in the game. The entire sequence was so weird in a fantastic way.

First it takes you into the abandoned dungeon under the well where you started the game, where you find Jinzaemon who's like "oh man the shamisen sounds like it's coming from the bottomless hole over there guess I'll jump in" which sounds ridiculous but then you get to the bottomless hole and there's an old hag who's like "do it" and you can't argue with an old hag, so you jump into the bottomless hole and find this freaky poison cave with enormous Buddha statues and gun ladies, you press on past ol' snake eyes and get to a forest area (??? how far underground are we ???) where Jinza is hanging out, talking about how his dad told him about the cursed misty woods that lures in travelers but he has to press on because that shamisen is a banger so you enter the Lost Woods™ where you meet a dying old man who pleads for your help defeating some person/thing that tricked the villagers and defiled their temple. You find the temple and hear someone playing the flute, and lots of ghost, but to get inside you need to take a side path past some large lad who's having a drink with some monkeys, then you get inside and there's.... that. You expect a boss fight but the thing just dies instantly and explodes into mist, clearing the entire area and showing that it was actually a broken down ruined temple the entire time :iiam:

Finally you end up in the fishing hamlet spooky ghost village at the bottom of the misty forest at the bottom of the bottomless hole at the bottom of the abandoned dungeon at the bottom of the well and you meet Jinzaemon again who talks about how the shamisen is so close now and finally you can actually hear the shamisen. At this point I wasn't sure if I was imagining it because of what a trip the previous hours had been, but sure enough you get past the corner and there's a crying lady playing the shamisen.

Obviously you could get all the way down there without doing his quest, but I think his weird-rear end dialogue (as well as the "goal") really added to it. This game :love:

Yeah the wierd poo poo in this game is great and classic FROM, I hope we get a lot more of it in the DLC

Also you forgot to mention meeting centipede the giraffe.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think those easy modes work with a lot of games, like even with Witcher 3 I can see playing that on Story Mode. But like people said, the main appeal of FROM games is the difficulty and overcoming challenges. Adding easy mode feels about like how China cut out all the references to homosexuality in Bohemian Rhapsody, which is a big chunk of the film plotwise, and people watching that version were like "what the gently caress is going on?"

Yeah this is how I feel about it . It's like making a g-rated version of Friday the 13th: you could in theory do it, but you would be removing so much of what makes that media that in effect you've just created a different piece of media with superficial similarities.

The difficulty and vagueness is what defines these games. Removing it turns it into something else entirely, maybe good, maybe not, but so removed from the original that it wouldn't really be Sekiro anymore.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hackan Slash posted:

The weirdest thing to me is they don't use an estus like system for spirit emblems.

All I can think of is they don't want you to use them for farming, like bloodsmoking a bunch of dudes and resting.

Yeah one minor complaint I do have about the game is that having emblems as consumable rather than restorable is dumb.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man playing on NG+ makes you realize how fast you can just tear through the game if you ignore mobs and are able to beat bosses effectively. I got from the beginning of the game to past screen monkeys in like 90 minutes. Just obliterating minibosses that wrecked me the first time.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

the bull is bordering on unfun at this point. There are no other paths for me to cool down and do something else right now, and nothing I am doing is delivering a consistent result. I try blocking or deflecting his poo poo and I get hosed to death by chip damage. I try dodging and he does a head on that I can't seem to avoid. I think I've managed to hit him 3 or 4 times before I'm killed and he has an insane amount of health so it's not doing much. I'm trying to firecracker him when he's not charging but he's charging most of the time, it seems.

it wouldn't be terrible if there wasn't the long run up which while it isn't hard is kind of a pain in the rear end to do over and over.

on my most recent run the guys standing around him all charged me and delayed his release then they killed me when I dodged him, which was funny but isn't as funny thinking about it.

1. Literally never stop dashing. Hold o or b or whatever and don't let go.
2. Dash to the side and at him when he charges, then when he does his wierd pivot thing, dash behind him and get a couple stabs in. He will charge away from you and try to pivot again, dash after him and get behind his pivot again, repeat. If you can get him in a corner you can force him into endless pivots and never have to worry about charging.
3. Bring fireworks and use them as a panic button if you get caught in a bad position. He needs to be actually hit by them, and there is a cooldown on their effectiveness

He requires a totally different mindset from other bosses but once you wrap your head around it he goes down like a chump. Good luck!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

the ng+ in this is definitely kinder than bloodborne's, i just beat the castle boss in one try with half my gourd charges left over

i wish turning in kuro's charm would crank up your exp rewards or something, i'd suffer higher difficulty if it meant making the skill point grind more bearable

Is it just me or does NG+ have tighter parry windows? Maybe I'm just not used to the higher posture damage but it feels like I have to much more accurate or my posture gets wrecked very fast.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skypie posted:

Status: continuing to get owned by Isshin. I've found that I can use Exorcism to inflict a fair bit of posture damage, but he has some attacks I still can't figure out.

namely, he seems to have a swing followed by a sweep but there's no time to make the jump if you only block the first swing. also I keep trying to dodge the forward wind slash and can only make it work occasionally. I know I can raven feather it but I dunno if I wanna lean on it too much.

are the second/third phases as brutal as this first one?

You need to be more aggressive, the sweep never comes out of his parry. If you attack constantly he will always parry after your second swing and do one of three things:
1. A VERY fast counter followed by three slower swings. Parry them all then attack again.
2. The same very fast counter and then a thrust. Counter it.
3. Charge and then mortal blade slashes. Dash to the side (not dodge) then get behind him and hit him.

As long as you can consistently respond to these and don't let up he will always do these three things. The second and third phases are a different story though...

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 1, 2019

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Actually the DoH literally is the sculptor, he disappears from the hut after it shows up and leaves a bunch of tools behind, he thanks you for killing him, and the ring whistle he specifically tells you he finds soothing and pleasant. It's the most :smith: fight in the game to me.

Yeah, he alludes to the fact that he used to basically be Sekiro but even more of a mess, and had to basically start living as the sculptor at an out-of-the-way temple because any more violence would result in him becoming completely unhinged and lost as a shura. It's implied that when the war expands to reach him at Ashina outskirts he gets sucked back into fighting which results in his becoming the Demon of Hatred.

This also implies that in the bad ending, Sekiro will become the Demon of Hatred instead.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skypie posted:

lol I guess I should stop trying to raven feather the spear whirlwind because I cannot get that timing down and just eat poo poo instead. it's ruined a couple attempts but I didn't wanna give up space for posture regen

Yeah raven feathering the big spear swings doesn't work too well. I think their hitbox is just too big or lasts too long

you can, however, very effectively feather his running/jumping overhead slam. or if you can see it coming just run under him when he jumps and stab him in the back to cheese him

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

How do i get through Sniper Hell? I keep getting shot out of the air when i grapple around, and i have real problems sight-reading a completely new are while being shot at from 15 sides

You literally just have to dash jump jump towards the first platform and hammer grapple like mad. Do not stop until you reach the big platform with the statue and miniboss.

The miniboss is not mandatory and can be skipped entirely by veering left and climbing at the big platform, if you just want to move on.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

I thought nioh was pretty good and appreciated the stance system and the timing of stamina recovery, but I don't think the diablo-like loot system grabbed me at all. This coming from a person who spent 400+ hrs on path of exile

It suffers from the same late scaling problems Borderlands does- the line between being an unkillable juggernaut and a useless weakling is extremely thin and constantly shifting, to the point where skill feels kind of useless.

The first half of the game is real fun though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

I initially wondered about this too, but I watched the ending again and I don't think it's that clear. she puts her hand over her heart, not her stomach, and she just wears very bulky clothing

It's been a while since i got that ending but i think in earlier dialog she refers to becoming a womb for him or something? Its all magic so who knows but theres definitely supposed to be some kind of birth analogy that exists as a counterpart to the dragon bloods endless death motif.