Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There does seem to be some sort of shield in the form of something that looks like a fan or parasol that folds out. It comes out of the left hand so I assume it's a prosthetic tool

this thing

and yeah, how it plays on a PS4 Slim is the only thing keeping me from pre-ordering. I never had any problems with Bloodborne but I got into it after a couple patches. I assume the Dark Souls trilogy on PS4 runs fine? I'm def getting into that after Sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I either don't know what 60 FPS looks like or I have got to be blind to this sort of thing because I never noticed or felt affected by any frame drops. Maybe sometimes it would chug when I did a real meaty visceral attack on a particularity beefy guy, but I love that. It's like when a SNES would chug when a big robot was exploding. I was having a good time pretty much the entire time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DOOM 2016 was also sent out without review copies with not a single person playing it before it released and that game owned, so chill out cowboys

CJ posted:

Wait, they are replacing impartial reviews by paying "influencers" to play their game and give their "impressions"? The last game to do that was Fallout 76 and look how that turned out. That's ringing alarm bells.
the two could literally not be any more different outside of this context, take a breath

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I do cause i have anxiety problems

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
balder side sword supremacy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

queeb posted:

i remember farming for that loving sword for like 2 hours
same!

and I've still never beaten dark souls!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

enojy posted:

You gotta remedy that before Friday, you just gotta. The last boss encounter of Dark Souls is easily my favorite memory in gaming the past decade. Just don't look up any tips or anything because that'll ruin the magic.

If you don't plan on it, at least don't miss the theme music. (Spoiler; boss name in title of video.)
trust me i had a long eternal debate on if i wanted to get the dark souls trilogy or wait for sekiro, and i chose sekiro on the fact that it's cheaper and i've never gotten a From game at launch

once i'm done with sekiro, i'm gonna buy the dark souls trilogy for sure

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Frog Act posted:

all these lesser souls players are going to be tremendously problematic, unlike me, the correct souls player!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I assumed discussion about from games wouldn't be chill but goddamn

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i liked bloodborne co-op because it was a good way for me and a friend to just talk and goof for a couple hours, but i understand that weakens the tone of the whole thing

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the amount of fart sniffery is p amazing
"I hope a lot of people HATE this game so i can feel good about myself" really made me doubletake

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
learn japanese imo

being able to play yakuza and not have to pay attention to the screen 100% of the time rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i bet the sekiro story will be good and i will like it. here's my favorite scene from bloodborne cause i was thinking about it this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkvdpZmIGtw

sekiro hoipe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Andrigaar posted:

No, I understand it. It's that people are dicks to me when I explain my view.

Like the replies I got.
gee i wonder why people are rude to you, i cannot imagine why

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I stop reading every time someone here says "none of these games are really like that hard" like motherfucker you've played five of these games

cool that you've reprogrammed your mind to be able to dodge the great festering lizards boil blasts on your first time but not everyone has

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 20, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gimme the one piece zoro mod

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah a stream I watched pointed out that the guards don't react to seeing each other's corpses, making it feel like a game that isn't trying to emulate perfect realism. It really does feel like Tenchu

also they said it was 60 FPS on a PS4 Pro so I feel okay about playing it on a Regular/Slim

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The idea that you could just play this game and not know what 40% of the enemies do because you're just giving them some folded steel in the back is very funny to me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Andrast posted:

they were ok

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god of war is the most a video game has ever made me roll my eyes, it's so loving corny. i love being an emotionally abusive father and pushing blocks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious as to what you think were better.
breath of the wild and dragon quest 11, op

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah people are really freaking out too much about Dragonrot. Like I'm a big anxiety mess and the Sculptor literally saying Dont worry, I'm special. I will not die from this was enough to calm me down. Its extremely Games to try to perfect run this game your very first time lol

How did people handle the very first General? For me, I felt like he could do way more Parry damage than I could take, and he recovered his Parry so fast l, so I went for dodges and jump kicks when i had too. Felt weird since I felt the game had been making sure I parry more, but oh well

I'm also really into the tiny hints already at the supernatural and mythological. The little creature under the bridge in the tutorial seemed a lot like a Preta to me, and I swear the being taking away the young master alongside the Lord was a Tengu, but I might be wrong

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 22, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Walrus posted:

just to clarify, it's the xp to your next level you lose when you die, right? not total xp?
probably figured it out by now but yes, any skill points you get are banked, just the bar drops.

I spent like 30 minutes throwing myself at that first general last night trying to learn my limits and i still don't feel like I earned the win

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah my problem is def that I flinch too early and end up blocking not parry

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Anyone have any suggestions for controls remapping on PS4? I kinda don't like having my quick item use button on Up, I feel like I'm scrambling to hit a lot of the time and that doesn't feel smooth

Zaphod42 posted:

I fought that guy 2 times and got close to beating him but didn't quite get it. Then I ninja'd around behind him, dropped on his head, took out 1 of his life bars just from the death-from-above, and managed to parry into killing him.

Did I earn the win? gently caress yeah I did who cares this is ninja-souls.
Totally fair!

a lot of my hang up is that yeah i feel like im cheating just stealth killing guys and not always learning their moves, which is def the point! i just gotta wrap my brain around it. i actually went to fight the general head on a couple times to prove that I could get the first deathblow on him in a real fight before I went for the stealth takedowns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

I just swapped up and triangle so up is switch prosthetic weapon and triangle is use item
ah, this feels so much better, ty!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

if I had one criticism so far it's that it feels like the tools are useless most of the time?

like I get using fire on the ogre, axe on wooden shields and firecrackers on the horse but for 90% of the fights they just seem kinda slow and not really worth using?
shurkiens ohko dogs and sometimes they gently caress me up, they can also interrupt some guys attacks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Walrus posted:

I haven't gotten that far yet but what's the difference between that and another enemy? How would you even beat the first general miniboss dude without parrying twice?
dodge him, jump his sweep and interrupt with the shuriken

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh you're not wrong I absolutely did not want to do that, I'm still very bad at parrying.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Popular Human posted:

Okay where's the path that takes me somewhere other than the Ogre, I just spent the last forty-five minutes dying over and over again to an undodgeable grab attack.
Find the bell in the area past the first general and offer it to ol Siddhartha

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Def making a beeline for the Recover Health on Deathblow ability. Anyone else got any abilities their eyeing up or glad they got?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Firstborn posted:

grapple attack
oh dang i dont got no grap attack

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Post Chained Ogre stuff: Man the Snake segment is so loving good, I wasn't even mad that it was a mandatory stealth segment that i hosed up like three times. I really hope there's just a big ol yamato no orochi boss and that snake was just one of it's heads

Gonna go plunk around the Hirata estate finally. I'm having a blast

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Has anyone found a way into the area (after Chained Ogre again) that the sign on the temple is alluding to, that speaks of headless spirits? There was a branch I could grapple to past it, but nowhere else to reach

and oh my god there's a (early Hirata Estate) Ako Manto/Hanako-san in this game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Spirit Emblem Capacity+ upgrades are kinda negligible so far in my exp, just an fyi

but also i just got the axe and i love it so maybe i'll want one more?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cowcaster posted:

from the branch there's a grippable ledge you can jump to farther down the cliff across the ravine from the branch and shimmy your way over. it leads to an undead miniboss named headless. unfortunately i burnt the divine confetti i had and then died, so until i get more i don't think i can fight him again
ah thanks! didn't see that leap of faith ledge. Didn't try to fight him but the music in there is really good.

CharlestonJew posted:

coolest moment about the post-Chained Ogre segment when you evade the snake and then come back to the area the soundtrack includes a bunch of hisses and rattles just to gently caress with you, even though the snake never comes back
lol this got me so bad, I love it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

keyframe posted:

Man this game is too loving hard for me. I am dying at everything. How the hell do you beat those wooden shield dudes?
get a shinobi tool that turns the shields into splinters

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
a purple ninja just kicked the poo poo outta me!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

I mean, I know that and I got it because I thought "hey, that would work great against this spear general but it fills up the posture meter so little it's empty again by the time he does his next attack :negative:
If you mean the first spear guy in the Hirata Estate, I just beat him by using the counter and getting a good 3 or 4 hits while hits. His non Perilous attacks didnt do that much damage either so you can kinda just keep the heat on him
e: oops nvm you beat this dude

keyframe posted:

Yea does that dude drop something amazing when you beat him because otherwise I am tired of getting my rear end kicked by him and will just avoid.
Would also like to know this cause I didnt even get a hit on that fool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Skypie posted:

:eyepop: wow I would like to have this one
Its extremely useful. Fodder grunts and the big roosters are just healthpacks for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Aaaaaand I'm giving Dragonrot to people I haven't met yet.....