Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Always open up a snake eyes fight with a flurry of sabimaru slashes after the initial backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Second phase is all about posture breaking the ape. Stand in front and deflect his sword attacks, he'll go into a combo ending with an overhead strike and when you deflect that he'll fall down and you can double tap him with the spear for huge posture damage.

Keep your finger on the sprint button and your eyes on his left hand. When he starts to bring his head up to his neck, that's your cue to sprint away to avoid the terror, then sprint back in and hit him a few times to bait more sword swipes.

Aside from the scream, all his other perilous attacks are sweeps so just jump them, and be ready to jump his sweep when he comes down from his big jump in the air.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

RichterIX posted:

I'm way in the minority because I think Shinobi Owl is harder than Owl Father. I had a hard time dealing with his running attacks (I found their reach really deceptive and he'd gently caress me up if I was trying to heal) and the second version's expanded moveset means he did that less and I found that most of his new moves weren't terrible to deal with. I was also way better at the game by the time I fought him though so that could be the whole reason right there.

Agreed after a bunch of playthroughs. He's got some long gap closers for such a tiny arena. Add in the long duration poison clouds and dodging the heal bombs, and you have a much harder time setting the tempo of the fight compared to the Hirata fight.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Darth Nat posted:

But then I smacked into the brick wall that is Owl. I've almost beaten him a couple times, but I cannot manage to do it consistently. I even got desperate and resorted to my old ways of trying to cheese him by running wildly around the arena to bait out his easily-punished attacks, but that just doesn't work. Feels bad. :smith:

Try to stay on him and posture break him in phase 1 using ichimonji. In phase two you won't get to stick to him as much due to smoke cloud, poison cloud and firecrackers, so mortal draw is better for stacking vitality damage. Still, his attacks that are hardest to deal with and deal the most posture damage are ones he uses to close the gap, so act instead of reacting.

If you find yourself getting pushed into the edge of the arena while deflecting combos, remember that the mist raven is your best friend for every fight that takes place on top of the castle.

Finicums Wake posted:

any tips for the guardian ape boss? i've been using firecrackers to cheese the first stage, but keep dying on the 2nd :smith:

Learn the tell for his scream, it comes in 4 parts:
1) He lifts his left hand to raise the head up.
2) He makes an exaggerated body swing to connect his head to his neck.
3) His body lifts up as though he's taking in a breath (this is where the red symbol pops up)
4) Scream happens.

If you only start sprinting away when the symbol appears you will eat part of the scream, but you have generous time to get away before the red symbol even pops up.

Otherwise just stand in front of him and deflect until he does the overhead, double tap the spear when you deflect that hit, jump his sweeps, and posture break him.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 11, 2020

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It's kind of funny that the games are somewhat built around item scarcity and yet the scarcity is exactly how you unlock endings. Insight is a limited resource for most of BB and can be stolen from you by brainsuckers so a lot of people wouldnt outright consume umbilical cords.

Both the hidden-ish endings of Sekiro are the same way. If you regularly consume rice and ask for more from the child, you might be able to stumble upon the return ending. Similarly, if you found the item behind kuro's room the first time around, you might, in the revamped castle, snoop back there a second time to see if there's another drop and stumble upon the eavesdrop option for purification, but both require you to actively be consuming limited resource items.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

BadMedic posted:

I'm having trouble with SSI in NG+. I just can't get the timing down for deflecting his spear. The worst part is he almost always counterattacks when you use items, so I frequently die with most of my flask unused.

Also I just lost due to an IRL leg cramp in the middle of the fight, which was not fun.

My 3 tips:

His jump +overhead spear slam is deflectable, but if you step dodge right or forward, you can whiff it and immediately hit with a charged stab, and it's one of the only good opportunities for taking his vitality down to a level where you can actually start building posture

Sure, hesitation is defeat, but don't go for more than 2 hits in a row, because there's a large chance he's going to do that jump back + spear sweep on your third swing and you need to be ready to deflect it.

If he pauses to do that perilous sweep, delay a bit then jump it and land with a single ichimonji (double will get you punished) on his head for more vitality and posture. He makes a quick motion with his right hand just before he swings, that's your cue to jump.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

But what the hell is up with Great Shinobi Owl

Most of his difficulty comes from how small the arena is, how much he jumps away from you to keep you from staying on him, and how quickly he can close the gap if you back off from him.

The opening attack to any of his combos is either going to be an overhead downward slash from his right shoulder, or a sideways swing from his left side. The sideways swing comes out a little slower so it can mess up your deflects.

His gap closing consists of 4 possibilities:
-a shuriken throw into a horizontal swipe that will stagger you even if deflected perfectly. Nothing you can do for this other than dont get cornered.
-a horizontal slash into jumping off you and flinging shurikens down on you (poison in phase 2). deflect the shurikens.
-a horizontal slash into a regular combo. Your counteratttack after a perfect deflect is faster than a normal attack, and if you can perfect deflect a hit, you can break his combo.
-a horizontal slash into an anti-healing bomb. If you perfect deflect the slash (and aren't too far from him, it's fuzzy), you can hit him out of the healing bomb animation before it comes out.

The double shuriken into a front flip overhead slam is his big opening to get hits in. Run around him if you're far away, or dodge to the side of you're close, and you can hit him with your combat art. I recommend double ichimonji in phase 1 for the posture recovery. In phase 2 when there's poison poo poo and he sometimes backs off to to that white aura posture recovery thing that you've seen some minibosses do, it can be a gamble to rely on posture breaking him, so mortal draw for a vitality kill is significantly better there.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Jinsuke is just a check of your deflecting. If you double tap deflect a split second after his hilt flashes you'll deflect both and build MASSIVE posture. Jump if he does his perilous sweep. Don't bother attacking, just react to his attacks and the fight ends quickly.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Headless is optional and drops something less useful than a prayer bead. It's something you're supposed to get rolled by early and come back to wipe the floor with later, like the bridge drake in dark souls.

Are you playing on a TV/monitor with automatic frame smoothing? That'd cause an input delay if it's not on game mode.

When you try to deflect, there's two outcomes:
Deflect: has a big orange spark, this builds enemy posture and builds your own posture, but will never break your posture no matter how high your bar is built. Attacking immediately after a deflect is much faster than a regular hit.
Block: this is a much smaller orange spark. builds no posture on the enemy, builds posture on you and can break your posture if maxed out.
You always want to aim for deflects against Jinsuke.

Lastly, have you unlocked the Ashina arts skill tree? There's some skills in there that help you with building posture on your enemies and reducing posture buildup on yourself.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

DeafNote posted:

I also prefer staying close to ISS stage 1 so he does the Ashina Cross less and strikes more often with that slash and sweep. Also baiting his thrust is fun.

This is correct and good. If he sheathes his sword, get up right next to him, he'll bump you with his hilt and then do a perilous sweep, much less a problem than double-parrying an ashina cross.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

100% cheevos unlocked and I'm still playing god what's wrong with me

You haven't really 100%ed this game until you've done it on NG+7 charmless with bell. :getin:

Getting one-shot by Lady Butterfly's perilous sweep is a humbling experience.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Dad's firecracker finisher always goes shoulder bump -> quick horizontal slash -> firecrackers -> slash as the firecrackers explode.

Just deflecting the bump + slash knocks you back enough that just tapping back should put you out of range of the slash and you can tap forward and continue slashing at him. (I don't know if blocking those hits knocks you back enough).

Of course, the insidious thing about Owl's design as a boss is that he circles around you as he slashes, and even if you started with your back out in the open, he can still put you in a position with your back against a wall where you can't step back. That's the perfect opportunity for the Mist Raven. Just pop mist stance and press forward as Owl finishes scattering the firecrackers, and you pop out on the other side of him ready to fang and blade his butt.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

OK I did the thing. Still feel like I'm poo poo at the game and it gets really dicey toward the end, but I got him on my first attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFo7ZoWotI

Haven't been round this way in a while but I want to say that this is a thing of beauty, especially perfecting Genichiro like the stupid insubordinate grandchild that he is.

Also holy poo poo at KB+M to play Sekiro, I can't imagine how tricky keeping a bead on Dad's bird form would go with mouselook, I'm impressed!

Oscar Wild posted:

I just got the Shura ending on ng+ and that means I need 2 more endings, all of the tools upgraded and all skills for platinum. Is it easier to start over and get 2 more "good" endings on ng and ng+ or is it easier to get ng++ for the tools and skill trophy and then do a fresh run for the last ending?

It honestly depends on how well you took to the game and how much you enjoyed the combat. If I were personally achievement-hunting again I'd just go straight through to NG+3 skipping the bullshit minibosses that I don't have to kill any more (looking at you, shichimen warriors) and enjoying the bosses because the final skill point grind is pretty tedious and can be alleviated by all the bonus exp you get from bosses in a straight playthrough, and if you do have to grind at the end, it's better to get all the bonus exp at NG+3 and grind for like an hour rather than grinding for 3 hours or so at ng+.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 25, 2020

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Where are some good places to farm for cash? I just got back to Ashina Castle and these guys with the red hats are pretty easy to stealth-kill and drop a decent chunk of money, but is there a faster place than just running up and down these stairs over and over killing these 4 guys?

Is your game at sunset, or night time?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

There's a stealth-killable purple ninja in the dojo that takes probably 10 seconds to kill and respawn, which would probably be the best gold per minute, but significantly better options open up once you move on to the area that comes after sunset ashina castle.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Yes, he was cool with drinking and relaxing through his final days until the end came, but when his nephew literally gave his life to return him from the underworld, he's just like, 'filial piety is a bitch, let's do it!'

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

codo27 posted:

There's a wall right past the first super macho man you fight with an L shaped upper corridor. At the end is a door that doesn't open from that side. How the gently caress do you get on the other side of that?

If you're talking about the spot after the first ogre and where you fight Shigekichi of the Red Guard later on, you have to jump down the canyon to where the headless is, and make your way up out of his room to reach the other side of that door.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Gyobu would be definitely be competing for number 1, carried by his English/Spanish voice acting.

edit: there's a charity Sekiro randomizer race set to nightmare mode going on right now if anyone wants to see runners try to get through a mibu village where all the villagers are replaced with Owl/Genichiro/Butterfly:

https://twitch.tv/mcrapt0r

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2020

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Haha, Inner Genichiro is able to throw your lightning reversal back at you.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, I need some help figuring out where to gone on my first play through.

I'm in the final phase of the game and just can't figure out how to get to Ashina Reservoir.

The reservoir is over the walls out and to the right as your leave the front door of the castle proper. You can jump down and grapple towards the area from the top of the castle at approximately the first place you encountered the divebombing nighthawk guy when you were first ascending the castle, or you can walk out the front door and grapple up and to your right as you descend the steps where there was a general miniboss just after the bull.

Here's a speedrunner going out the bottom to the reservoir:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMb_Qf92hdo&t=4454s

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

If we're talking about stuff you can kill after Bull but before Genichiro or any other memory-granting boss, we're talking everything up to the Senpou Hall, the Gun Fort Shrine, and the Wedding cave door, plus the ashina locale which by my reckoning is at least 14 minibosses: 2 gun ladies, 2 wolverine cosplayers, Roberto!, dungeon shichimen, orin, mist noble, glutton, depths headless, and the 4 already mentioned.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 25, 2020

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

You ultimately will need to go through each area. In terms of difficulty of bosses, Mt Kongo is the easiest, folllowed by Ashina Depths, and Sunken Valley would be the hardest. Although the non-optional minibosses along the way in each route are probably about the same difficulty.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

fun hater posted:

the lone shadow that spawns right before great owl shinobi blipped out of existence while i was in the middle of beating on him today. i mean like he was there one second and gone the next. he and his healthbar left but the fog doors were still up. weirdest bug i've encountered so far in this game. ive never seen a fromsoft game boss just decide to stop existing for no reason.

I once had Dad go into his owl and not come out. Fucker straight up rage quit on me.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The droplet can be used only once but there's more than a dozen available per playthrough, several sold by vendors. Cure it when you need to advance some NPC's questline and they wont let you because they're rotting.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

g-c posted:

i blew all my divine confetti in fountainhead palace on the Shichimen Warrior thinking that was required to kill it. god. i did this the previous two encounters as well :|

:|

I have good news about the item you got from killing true monk!

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Sabimaru is good if you like using it because it's just a better version.

I wish. The poisoning through block/parry effect of the piercing Sabimaru winds up being miles more useful than lauzlite Sabimaru's poison clouds. Most of the enemies you want to poison (gun fort snake eyes, foutainhead okami, o'rin) block a ton and are mostly 1v1 fights. Even the bodhisattva valley monkeys scatter too fast for the poison clouds to be effective. Maybe if you're fighting all the dudes right in front of okami leader shizu at the same time then the clouds would be better than piercing, but that's probably the only encounter in the game where it's an upgrade.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 12, 2021

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't embrace the Mist Raven on my first or even second and third playthroughs, but it became one of my most used prosthetics and I think everyone should use it more. It's FromSoft's relief valve for their bad cameras and a get out of jail free button for getting cornered.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

bike tory posted:

I think you fight every single miniboss at least twice, sometimes three or four times with slight variation.

You pretend not to see me...? How dare you hide Lord Sakuza from me!

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

beats for junkies posted:

Father Owl has a thing I need for the ending, and I can't get it after the end of Fountainhead Palace (I'm up to the "walk up the path to Tomoe's body" part, so pretty much right before the boss).

You can't unlock him after Fountainhead because the castle moves into its final state and you can't eavesdrop on Emma, but if you've got his fight unlocked before then, you can still fight him and get the flower afterwards. I think you can even kill the final boss and then go kill Dad as long as you don't open the prompt with Kuro.

I'll always advocate for learning to love the Mist Raven for any fight where you can wind up cornered against a wall or pillar. I think the only moves he's got that are worth step dodging are his overhead sword slams (either his jumping flip or the standing ichimonji that he can cancel out of before he straightens his arms). Every other move is really meant to be deflected, jumped over, or Mikiri'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Been playing around with sabimaru too because it's fast and cheap, and it's better than nothing but poison seems like an afterthought. Is the lazulite upgrade worth it?

The lazulite upgrade causes Sabimaru to leave clouds of poison when it's used which is really only useful versus large crowds- exactly the kind of encounter that you're not looking to engage in the first place. IMO it's a huge step down from the piercing Sabimaru being able to poison enemys through block/deflects.

Poison can be an afterthought versus regular enemies and I'd rather use mortal draw for converting spirit emblems to vitality damage, but it wrecks gun fort snake eyes, O'rin, and fountainhead Okamis