Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

mikeraskol posted:

This is honestly the best compliment anyone can give - the 2004 Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was one of my most fun gaming experiences ever. Never enjoyed dying 100 times to one boss so much.

If this game can capture that it'd be an all timer.

This game did rule. I never finished it though
because I hosed up my save and was forced to fight some giant fuckoff boss with only a sliver of health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

I don't know much about this game. one thing I really liked about Dark-Blood-Souls were the extremely bizarre and grotesque enemies and environments. bloodborne was next level poo poo on that point. is this going to have anything like that or is it just dudes with swords in Japanese castles.

They’ve already shown off some big rear end troll monster things.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Lol if the big twist is based in Chinese mythology

at the second act reveal all the western players will be like "oh. huh. ok" and all the Asian players will be like "WOAAHHH"

Did Japanese players get BB’s Lovecraftian twist? I don’t really know how famous he is overseas.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You can apparently eavesdrop on your enemies’ conversations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My body is ready; spirit is willing. Gonna replay blood borne to calm the shakes.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Has there been any talk of how this will run on the original PS4? I don't want to pick up a pro just for Sekiro with the PS5 likely on the way.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The trilogy and bloodborne all run fine on the normal PS4.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sekiro good? Should buy?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The AI seems really bad for a stealth game. Brain-dead enemies make sense in dark souls and bloodborne but it’s not a good look so far in Sekiro.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bardeh posted:

Came out of the dream, pwned the ogre in 2 tries, now stuck on the General immediately after him. Fucker 1-shots me if I fail to dodge or block. Maybe time to go back to the dream. I will say that the minibosses being surrounded by trash mobs is annoying as gently caress for when you die and need to start over...

Same. I can’t figure out a way to clear the mob silently, but I just upgraded my stealth so maybe that will help.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Even the animation itself is a tell that the stealth element isn’t all that well integrated. It’s kind of remarkable that they didn’t put a cool stealth kill animation into a game that is ostensibly about being a stealthy ninja warrior.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

orange sky posted:

I can't understand the design choice of sprinting with the circle. I always end up pressing circle to sprint with my thumb and using my index finger to move the right analog stick. Yes, it's very awkward, but an R3 sprint would be very much welcome (and maybe lock on with circle or whatever).

I’ve changed “use item” to triangle (which I highly recommend) and dodge/sprint to X. Makes it a lot easier to sprint in combat.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The heal on death blow skill feels like it should have been a default feature. I’m enjoying the game ~300% more after unlocking it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

it's hard to look at the complicated japanese character and determine it's exactly the same thing every time when you're currently trying to not have the next attack beat your poo poo in

:agreed: it didn’t take that long to figure out tho.

Any anglicized warning sign I can think of would look like crap on the screen, but it might be nice to turn off the visual warning altogether and just use the audio cue.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

But the game only ever shows you the one kanji in the demonstration, and an infinite harmless practice dummy that uses it, so I guess I wasnt sure where people got the idea from

Maybe it’s how my brain works, but I could probably see that symbol 1,000 times for the brief second it’s on screen and still have no idea what it looks like. I certainly couldn’t describe it beyond “Asian word squiggles”

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The only reason I know it isn’t a different sign every time is because I’ve been told so itt.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just beat the blazing bull on my first try, but I don’t think I did it right. Was there supposed to be some trick? I just sprinted around and slashed at his butt until he ran out of vitality.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

i'm a little annoyed learning about that npc in Senpou Temple

he only shows up if you haven't fought Genichiro yet, which is unintuitive even by From standards, and the item he gives you is a story path-crucial one that's quietly tucked away in an out-of-the-way spot if you never meet him

guess it gives me a reason to replay the game

Is it just before you fight him or before you kill him? I don’t think I picked it up.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

I'm now having issues with both the Elite at the top of the tower and the Spear Guy outside Kuro's reading tower upon return to the castle

The first guy I'm pretty sure is just get good at deflections because he's all chain attacks all the time.

But the 2nd guy recovers posture so fuckin fast.

People are saying to deflect the Elite’s attacks but I wasn’t good enough. Instead, I found it way easier to just sidestep his two-strike unsheathing attack put some hits on and then jump over his sweep. He has an extremely small posture bar and can only use his really scary attack when his katana is sheathed. Once I figured that out it only took one try to kill him.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

World War Mammories posted:

deflecting his unsheathing attack is really easy, just watch his sword hand/grip and hit LB when the white spark appears. for me he did that like eight times in a row and his posture dropped like a rock

Do you have to deflect twice? The white spark seemed too early to deflect on since he hasn’t even unsheathed his katana yet at that point. I guess that is why he is at the top of the dojo.

Very cool stuff imo.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Harrow posted:

Boy, the early game in this is eating me alive. I just got past what I think is the first miniboss and I'm having a hard time dealing with large groups of enemies. Am I supposed to try to stealth past as much as possible? I keep wishing for some way to sense nearby enemies or something, since I keep getting seen by dudes I can't make out against the background.

I can tell this game is awesome but I'm having, like, "first time playing Dark Souls"-level difficulty learning its rules.

Are you trying to kill the general right after the chained ogre? That is an especially difficult encounter to use the stealth mechanics the way that gamers expect to use them (i.e. to get rid of scouts and vulnerable ranged enemies). The gong boy has ridiculous perception, so you basically have to kill the leftmost gunner, then go back around all the way and kill him, and you can't do that without dropping down and going through the gate.

Its been said numerous times, but you will have a much easier (and more satisfying) time killing mooks after you unlock the skill that heals you with every deathblow.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Deflections in this game are insanely easier than parries in DS2/3 or Bloodborne. In previous games you had to press the button right as the enemy commits to swinging at you. Here, you just press the button right before you get hit.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just picked up Doom and it doesn't seem to feature a stealth system. or even any dialogue trees wtf!?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

It does, though?? The info merchant, like, a block away, tells you straight up (if you give him, like, 50 sen for the info) "hey, didn't I see you at Hirata Estate? Yeah, yeah, me and my buddies found some kind of flame barrel there, you could probably find one yourself if you looked", or something along those lines

I know, because he told me that, and Sekiro was like "I already have one." and the dude gave me a consumable instead.

also its pretty intuitive that you would find a flame weapon in the only part of the game you've seen that is on fire.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is there an easy tell that I’m missing to figure out whether the Ashina Castle boss is using a stab or slash attack after he does his jumping ground stab?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 26, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Frog Act posted:

So I've just gotten to the castle and I have 8 skill points to spend. I haven't gotten anything from the sword skills book from the Samurai [spoiler] and I've mostly stopped in the other trees after getting basic stuff and the deathblow health. Right now, skill wise, I have:

[spoiler]Whirlwind/Nightjar Slash
Grappling Hook Attack
Mikiri Counter
Mid-Air Prosthetic
Chasing Slice
Fang and Blade

is there anything really obvious I need to get? I also haven't upgraded any of my prosthetics yet, not sure what order to do them in, but I guess I'll basically need to do them all eventually? And I assume Ichimonji Slash and stuff in the sword tree is worth getting?

tia for any assistance

The skill that heals you ten percent on death blow is really fun. It’s on the shinobi skill tree. The samurai tree has good skills (the carp skills) that increases poise damage on and after a successful deflect.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

When people say “first/second/third Genishiro, are you referring to the first second and third deathblows necessary, or does he have a third phase (four+ necessary death blows total) that I havn’t seen yet? I’m asking because I don’t think I’ve ever been hurt by his lightning after he takes off his armor, and I’m wondering if he uses it more in a later phase.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OHHH that makes more sense. Havn’t made it to 3G then.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hentai Jihadist posted:

just listened to bonfireside chat's first impressions and man, gary salty lol

my fav bit was where he was like "i never had this trouble playing bloodborne" when i remember his first impressions of bloodborne being the exact same "its too hard, the changes are bad, is it all just going to be yharnam?" complaints

saying nothing in bloodborne is as hard early on as in sekiro is forgetting gascgoine and especially forgetting blood starved beast

His problem with clearing enemies out is valid, but he seems fixated on worst example of it that I’ve encountered yet, i.e. the post-ogre general(though that would have probably been much easier if I had pushed through and then attached from the idol immediately after). I’m also not sure if he’s tried using stealth deathblows on the minibosses yet—from his comments it seems like he hasn’t.

He’s not wrong that the opening areas are the most boring out of the recent Fromsoft games though imo.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ultrachrist posted:

For those of you who enjoyed my last cowardly ninja clip, I give you Ashina Elite:

https://twitter.com/Scrying_Orb/status/1110600101137809408

Forgive my sloppiness, that was the same attempt I figured the jump strat out. You need to jump sort of diagonally around him not backwards, as I do when I get hit.

smdh

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just beat Seven Spears on my first try :smuggo:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The grind that really irked me is for revive charges- nothing breaks the flow of trying to get a set of patterns down like needing to stop and backstab the same dude 7-8 times to have the best possible chance of victory on your next attempt.

I noticed there seems to be at least one of each enemy type that hangs out with their back turned to a nearby idol somewhere. I'm pretty sure the most efficient grinding for mats and maybe even XP is to find out where those are and backstab them over and over and over

jfc dude don’t do this.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh man, good job. He's giving me some real trouble. Last night it was Snake Eyes that was making me rage and tonight I'm banging my head against Seven Spears.

I feel like I should be able to beat him but I'm so impatient. This game still has the traditional Bloodsouls element of getting all the way down to one hit on a boss and then crumpling.

:negative:

To be fair, I ran in to him earlier after killing the purple ninja and just ran away. Because I knew he was there, I was able to backstab him for his first deathblow by going around through the tower he is standing in front of.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, it can’t be a set amount of deaths unless different NPCs have different numbers of deaths before they get infected.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

do you enjoy causing me physical pain

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

When you are a professional videogames journalist:

I am never going to finish Sekiro Shadows Die Twice: An ode to not bothering when things get too tough

quote:

I’ve beaten the horseback guy, I’ve beaten the raging fiery bull, I’ve flung myself around the rooftop outskirts of the Ashina Castle, and I’ve seen how the game brushes out in all directions and begins to reward exploration. But I’m not going to complete this game, I know it in my bones. And it’s not because life is too short to punish myself so severely. To be honest, life feels very long to me. But Sekiro has forced me to realise that nowadays when I play a videogame I want to be rewarded with numbers and back-pats and superfluous indicators of progress.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Popular Human posted:

Pretty obvious from context he flamed out on Mr G. I’m wondering if that’s going to be the point where a lot of people throw in the towel: there’s a BIG drop in the trophy percentages between people who beat him and people who beat LB. I’m curious how the completion percent eventually stacks up compared to the Souls games.

I'm confused about what is so much harder about this game for people compared to the souls games. I loved souls, but Sekiro combat feel way more intuitive and responsive.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

I know, right? The first samurai general guy was SO satisfying to kill. But like, lol he's probably basically the Black Knight equivalent in this game?

They are closer to Berenike Knights lol.

I wish they would respawn so I could just kill them over and over again.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

So does 70% of the PS4 library, lol

It’s especially funny because it’s nonsense. The vast majority of fights require you to press like.. 5 buttons at most.

Like, imagine if this guy tried to play FIFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So did they forget to add a perilous warning to a move on the spinning dudes with hats? Does it just work like a perilous except you need to use a shuriken or something?