Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait so he has only been in the games industry for 10 years? just was hired on as a lead designer and made demons souls in under a couple of years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't decide whether to play this on TV or PC. Just upgraded to the Pro and a cheap 4k set so it sure would look pretty on PS4, but PC would obviously be even better, just on a smaller screen and with better input lag.

very tough call. thinking PC for the input lag.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait this game comes out on a FRIDAY?!?!??1 I love you miyazaki-san

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how the heck do you use a vpn on a ps4

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just to clarify, it's the xp to your next level you lose when you die, right? not total xp?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I could not get my PS4 controller working for the life of me, but this finally fixed it.

-Restart computer
-Download x360ce and install *into the sekiro folder*
-set up the controller for Sekiro in the program, making sure to select the 'COM' checkbox at the top of the options
- start Sekiro using the 'start' button in x360ce, don't close the program first like it tells you to.

that did it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I beat the first miniboss in a couple of tries. I'm sitting at work wondering how much harder this poo poo gets. People having a ton of trouble, how did you do on that first dude?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Aside from grabs I think that symbol just means it's not blockable, it can still be parried. But if you mess up the parry you'll take a ton of damage so it's risky.

No, you can only parry red thrusts. Red swipes and grabs require jumps or dodges.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my understanding of dragonrot is that you cant infinitely cure it so you want to do it to work on character specific sidequests and not just randomly or you can indeed gently caress yourself over.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
literally all you need to know about Dragonrot is: it is inevitable, part of the story, but don't cure it unless you have a specific reason to do so.

this should probably go in the OP

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Oh wow, the Upper Tower Dojo miniboss was at first really hard, but then everything clicked and I got him on my second attempt with a new technique. Double tap LB when he attacks! He hits twice, so you gotta parry both attacks. And he takes so much posture damage when doing that he's basically "double parry, the tutorial"

I haven't gotten that far yet but what's the difference between that and another enemy? How would you even beat the first general miniboss dude without parrying twice?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

dodge him, jump his sweep and interrupt with the shuriken

Ah I guess if you want to not go truely toe to toe with the first skill checking enemy in the game then sure.

(please note the above post is satire there is no bad way to play a souls game)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fighting in this game is like a perfect deadly dance. its amazing. slash two three clang two three parry one parry two JUMP! two three slash slash slash.

when is this work day done please

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having less trouble so far than I did at the beginning of Dark Souls 3 or bloodborne. Nothing as hard as those infected blob hollows, Gundyr or Gascoigne. Nothing even as close to hard, tbh. But I'm not far at all, just past the first miniboss. It seems like it's really a tossup depending on your playstyle how you feel about it. I've always played Dark Souls basically on twitch reaction rather than strategizing (to my severe detriment in those games) and am finding this not so so bad. Granted, I will probably come post in here about 2 hours after I get home about the brick wall I've run into.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

HOLY poo poo SEKIRO CAN SWIM?

look at this guy who didn't immediately do a 180 from the direction the game starts you in

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's been definitely shown by a goon like two pages back that it is only the final DEATH screen that counts. you can cheese it by resurrecting, and then running back to a Buddha to replenish your res.

Do not ever not resurrect or you are hastening dragonrot. But maybe that doesn't matter. gently caress, knowing FROM there's stuff that's hidden only behind high rot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably just going to change it to English because I like the voice acting in From games and I was already missing subtitles in the intro movie because I was too engaged with the visuals.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
mouse and keyboard is good. having slash on left click and parry on right click is very fast and responsive and good. I'm going to try with my PS4 controller now I've gotten it working and will report back.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
a good tip, buy spirit emblems whenever you are at a statue if you only have like 40 sen or something small. you will probably lose that when you die and you can bank the spirit emblems so may as well

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
one of the things I didn't anticipate was how a fixed build would diminish the fun of exploring. it's still neat finding those classic From hidden areas, but it's a little disappointing when it's just candy or a balloon over and over.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dang the shinobi hunter is loving my day up. should I even be trying to parry his red thrusts, or just circle dodging? I think I need to be dodging either earlier to get entirely out of the way or later to get some iframes as he keeeeeeps hitting me. I guess I could just go back to the main path.. :(

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skypie posted:

You could sneak through the grass and get a deathblow on him then mikiro counter his thrust for a decent chunk of posture damage

I've already been getting that first deathblow in - didn't think to buy an ability upgrade though. I guess that's a good call. Thanks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Where is the firework tool?

hint: you might not just be looking in the wrong place..

spoiler:in the flashback dragonspring hirata estates, on the far right side of the compound with the biggest group of dudes, in the fire

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol ya I should probably stop offering advice on this game considering I am consistently wrong wow

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BoyBlunder posted:

Is it okay if I’m constantly dying and never filling up that blue bar? I just did up to the chained ogre and am getting discouraged with the amount of deaths I’ve got.

However the game owns

it's a good idea to bank a point before you go fight a bunch of hard poo poo if you're close to a next level.

there! I was useful

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BoyBlunder posted:

How do I bank a point?

Sorry I don’t think this was explained

you only lose progress towards your next point when you die. once you earn a point you keep it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BoyBlunder posted:

The only arm weapon I’ve got so far is the shuriken. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

I’ve only met the vendor that I had to pay for information before the chained ogre on the way.

way back at the beginning before the cannon guy theres a tall plateau you need to grapple to. you will hear crows.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the tip on using mikiri on the shinobi hunter. I just don't think i could have beaten him straight, but that made it pretty simple. well, simpleish.

got the restore health on visceral shortly after that, it is a very very good skill

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurningCourage posted:

Myself I met him before meeting him dream world, Sekiro just didn't know what the gently caress and was promised a retelling of "that night" on giving him money for info.

I went back and paid for more after going to the dream and getting the flamethrower. As the next bit of info is about the flamethrower after you pay he has unique dialogue that goes like "oh well shucks guess that's no good :v:" and gives you some oil instead.

what happens if you kill him in the flashback I wonder - I attacked him once cause he said he was looting and he took damage, before I thought better of it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say I really don't like how there seems to be a 'correct' way to deal with each enemy type. Also the drunkard is quite hard. This game is daunting. Is the present day timeline easier than the Hirata flashbacks if I went back in time basically as early as you can?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cool. I figured but I am a stubborn idiot when it comes to From games so I was just bashing my head against the Drunkard over and over. And now I've heard you can disengage with him after you clear the other enemies and come back for a free visceral? Dang I could definitely beat him with only one health bar, I can get him down to 1 pretty consistently. I guess if I can beat him does that path keep getting harder or does it end soonish? Seems like I must be almost done with it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there is an increase drop rate buff item so I would guess there's random boss drops like in Souls maybe?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Did I maybe go to the estate memory too early or am I just really, really terrible (probably the latter) because that Shinobi Hunter is absolutely kicking the poo poo out of me. Even when I'm successfully able to pull off the spear stomp I'm barely doing anything to him and it only takes him basically two hits to completely wipe me out.

Also the sculptor has started coughing :ohdear:

the mikiro skill is basically essential against that dude. clear the other enemies then use that and he goes down pretty easy once you get the timing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Public service announcement:

The Estate is pretty hard! You don't have to do it all, you can bounce between the two zones picking up new skills and items. The estate has some nice items that are useful on the main road and vice versa. The games great at letting you do other things if you hit a roadblock.

it's hard but doable which means I need to do it over and over until I get it :)

I did get the estates midbossDrunkard down first time after disengaging and getting a stealth kill (after 15 tries trying him with 2 healthbars). My compatriot was alive as well, which felt good. This next boss seems tough but pretty fair, thanks for the advice though regarding doing posture damage too - I've been getting her down to her second phase just with counterslashing and that one combat skill where you close and do a spinning move (owns btw). I'm sure if I get some slashes in there it'll help a lot.

edit vvvvv whenever I tried that he would hit me with the spear butt. in any case mikiro must be the easiest way as it takes just standing still and pressing a button

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay wait a minute, I'm confused- I got the dragonrot cutscene and a few points when I died a few times, but I had never used resurrect. All the guides say that it only advances when you resurrect, so if I waste my droplet to cure everyone, then never resurrect, can I keep dying to my heart's content? Or will I always be accruing fantasy tuberculosis points no matter what?

you are dying twice as much by not using your res. it's only the final death that counts for rot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skypie posted:

I finally beat the shinobi hunter and I couldn't do it worth my own advice because I could not figure out which of his Perilous attacks was the one I could use the Mikiro counter on

So I stealth deathblow after clearing out the goons then just went ham with the axe. It would stagger him so I just spammed til I could do a death blow

Next mini boss looks very tough so I think I'm gonna piss off from the estate for a bit. I got the heal on deathblow skills at least

FWIW it's any of his perilous attacks. the timing is a bit different on each but generally you want to counter right before you get hit, not necessarily based on the red icon.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

Oh wow... yeah, this is a windup/poise guessing game. That's pretty disappointing. It's weird because the normal enemies don't do that but then miniboss-style encounters just roll out the hyper-delayed swings and 50/50 poise guesses.

you are thinking about it entirely wrong. this isn't dark souls. there is no guesswork with poise, there is literally a meter that shows you how much poise (called posture) your enemy has

and the delayed swings are meant to punish your dark souls muscle memory. you can party nearly instanously, you dont need to react to the windup anymore, react to the actual strike, dont get baited. the club enemies are nasty with this.

edit: on jouzou I didnt have a lot of luck parrying him. clear the dudes, disengage, get a backstab, activate your buddy, then hit hit dodge right hit hit dodge right. exploit that infinite stamina.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
after trying old lady butterfly for maybe 30 times and failing it was nice to get the chained ogre first try. granted the fire vent tool basically seems like cheating on him but whatever!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

I meant specifically the fact that some hits will slash the guy and he'll go into hitstun, and some hits he ignores and pounds you for it. That is guesswork, but guessing right is how I won.

I'm not sure there's any attacks that dudes can just tank and take no damage. Either they're blocking and they take poise damage or you get around their guard and they take vitality damage. vitality damage determines how quickly they can regenerate poise. It's not guesswork, if you attack from the side or back or other opportune times you can do vitality damage. use the dodging attacks.

btw don't go in applewhite's current GBS dark souls thread he posted what might be a spoiler about this game's potential twist. he might be talking out of his butt but it 100% makes sense for the twist so better safe than sorry. potential (probably not though) spoiler for the curious: you're in hell.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nightjar slash is really loving good dang. the whirlwind slash is basically useless for how slow it comes out imo unless you are doing crowd control in which case you've already hosed up by not keeping dudes separated.