Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

honestly doesn’t sound like too much of a departure if you’re already familiar with bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's not that great, but if you haven't played it technically it's more dark souls and it might get you through the next 2 months

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It is that great. It is the greatest of the series

you are a crazy person. go to a dungeon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

REEEEEwait are we talking on the scale of soulsborne games or all games?

i was talking soulsboourns

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think there's only one single boss with three health bars, and it's a dlc boss, so if that's really the hitch keeping you from dark souls 3 it shouldn't be. but it's kind of like a greatest hits compilation of the other games with a poorly constructed halfway point between bloodborne's aggressive combat and souls' more turtley pacing to the detriment of both.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JBP posted:

That boss also owns and is the highlight of Ashes.

s'truth

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well full disclosure i got bored and stopped playing dark souls 3 before doing the second dlc so there's that too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it looks like parrying is going to be extremely important but it's easy and good parrying not the lovely parrying from dark souls 2/3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

close to the end of next month though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

strange that you'd call the zweihander a spell but i'll allow it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ended up watching the video content for gameinformer's stuff about sekiro because i'm just that desperate for more information about it and i already read all the articles. the game is looking a lot more ninja gaideny than i expected, but as i really hoped.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair, it's not like you're going to be izuna dropping fools or anything, but it really seems like they're trying to ramp up what they started with bloodborne in terms of aggression and turtling. it looks like from the gameplay video/interview that the whole point is to never stop attacking, if the enemy starts a combo while you're wailing on them you can just deflect it all and keep on trucking, and you want to because the more pressure you keep up the sooner they get set up for a visceral attack

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow, that seems exceptionally... reasonable. usually they really highball that stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

“hey fucko stop taking a poo poo in the King’s Field”

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you haven't already you should avail yourself of gameinformer's coverage of it over the last month here, it hits on some of your questions:
https://www.gameinformer.com/sekiro

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

unfortunately, no direct information that i know of, but if past is precedent as with the soulsbornes then higher framerates on pc would probably be a safe bet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like the actual graphics/textures stuff sure, but i guarantee you can tell the difference between a framerate of 30 and a framerate of 60 you just might not know exactly what it entails

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have no qualms with your choices or reasons behind them but i'd just like to point out that there's no guarantee that there will be a preload option available for sekiro, unless from software has done so in the past (i don't typically preorder things so i'm not sure one way or the other). there's also no guarantee that part of weird problems with the game at launch won't include a lot of pc port jankery, from's gotten better about it over the years but i don't think that there's ever been an example of their ports being 100% solid and perfect from the jump.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

every fromsoft game this gen has worked flawlessly from moment 1, with preloads. only exception might be bloodborne load screens

i can at least think of the durability bug in dark souls 2 but that also took literal years for them to care about fixing so it's kind of a bad example for "wait until after launch"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

that was pc only as well

he was talking about preordering on steam dude

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't believe in spoilers but understand those who do so i'll be reading everything and i can let you know

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't believe the real shadows were the friends we made along the way, that then died twice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Imhotep posted:

https://youtu.be/AzsMkYXG7Xo New footage of the first area, looks more polished/less demo-y. The way the coins fly towards you kind of annoys me, I mean they’ve done that in like every Souls game, and Bloodborne I think, but it’s like, not a bunch of gold coins flying into the character.. but drat it looks dope, the eavesdropping system is basically what I assumed, but seeing a glimpse of what the plot is like thru gameplay mechanics makes me excited for how many cool little things people will discover.

noooo, dogs look like just as much of a pain in the rear end as ever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ulio posted:

So there is a bunch of previews and they are all super positive. Seems like it is different than Souls but still feels like a fromsoft game. Also a lot of the previews said this was harder than Souls, don't know how accurate that is, maybe people were just trying to play it like Souls instead of the new style it actually wants you to play it like(parry heavy).

the review over at polygon apparently has called it the "friendliest" of the souls games citing more extensive hand-holdy tutorials and the instant revive system and if those butterfingered bastards can say that i'm not sure who i trust on the difficulty of the game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

Has anything been said about how the world is? Is it the typical "openish" Soulsborne world with a bunch of interconnection and shortcuts to open or is it a linear experience?

aside from the new stuff coming out today gameinformer ran a bunch of articles/videos about sekiro in january, these two should be what you're looking for:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/09/heres-what-you-can-do-in-sekiros-hub-area

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-video/2019/01/18/exclusive-video-on-the-challenges-of-creating-sekiros-dynamic-world

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not so much tighter as much more annoying, with the addition of windup frames

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well according to twitter his spirit bomb is based off of 6 likes and 3 replies so assuming those happen to be individual people he's got 9 people powering it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy it’s been in previews posted by gaming outlets so go soak your head

there was someone in here just a few days ago dismayed to discover the game doesn’t have a character generator, something that’s been common knowledge for months if not a year, people are getting a little hype crazed

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's no character creator, in case that's a dealbreaker for you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

we joke and have fun here but there's a line somewhere between "avoiding spoilers" and "throwing $60 at video game you know nothing about based on brand recognition" and i genuinely wonder how many people who have hyped themselves up so hardcore for this with their eyes blindfolded and their ears plugged are in for a rude awakening when these very basic core gameplay things we've all known about for probably a year at this point end up in their lap

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sekiro is mario backwards

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lid posted:

I can only remember in DS3 i cheesed very early duels before the meta settled and people knew what was good or not by using the painted guardian curved sword. It had the lowest range but had ridiculously fast strikes therefore no stamina cost and inflicted bleed so fast people died before they realised what was happening.

huh. i didn't come to dark souls 3 until waaaay after the last dlc/patch came out, but i farmed up a painted guardian curved sword from the one npc that drops it because it was notorious for having a 0-frame windup on its parry animation (i.e. a dark souls 1 style parry). kind of interesting that it wound up having something broken about it two games in a row.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought that was a longsword with the dark enhancement not the darkwraith longsword

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

4 more days to sekiro

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JBP posted:

I hope this game is hard as gently caress. All the vision makes it look like you're going to have to actually fight enemies and they are going to fight you. I'm so pumped. If this can deliver a stealth, lightning timing and patient sword fighting experience on par with DMC5s maniac action fare I'll be set for tier one gaming for the rest of the year.

i'm definitely on board with the descriptor "from software take on making a platinum game". combat looks very revengeance-y as projected through the lens of a soulsborne

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

parrying is kind of crummy in dark souls 2 and 3 because of the windup frames

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to mention they changed the riposte noise to like, a creaky door opening? in dark souls 2. one of the worst things that game did

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

This is, uh, not true. You can’t parry dogs or crows because the guns just knock them down, The only bosses in the game you can’t parry or break are Ebriatas, Rom, Mergo’s WN, and Amy. I’m struggling to come up with a regular enemy you can’t parry. I guess I’ve honestly never tried to parry a giant boar because the backstab is so easy.

i think he's talking about the souls series at large, because the way you phrased your initial post didn't specify bloodborne parries (in fact you said "all these games" which isn't true)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

So it's confirmed there's no multiplayer element to this right? Any online interactions even if minor?

they're on record as stating no multiplayer or online elements whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i, too, love partying in bloodborne