Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why the gently caress is the gyro on by default when you use controllers on PC, and why did they not include an option inside the game to disable that? What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think this is true. Sekiro's controller profile specifically has the gyro enabled when most other games' profiles do not. Basically, the publisher can choose one of the default controller profiles steam provides (or provide their own custom one iirc), and FromSoftware for some reason chose the one with the gyro. This is easily fixed, but still, it's on them.

Not easily fixed with a Switch Pro controller, sadly. Really annoying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So my game was locked at 20fps on an i7-8700k running at 5 gigs with a 12 gig 1070. No matter what my settings, always 20 fps.

Did some research, apparently if you have 2 monitors and an nVidia card the game shits itself and doesn't run at higher than 20fps.

What the gently caress is this? How is that a thing they didn't realize before shipping? Holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Well I edited my post because that might not apply to laptops now that I think about it, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately. Check your settings perhaps, Shadows, Lighting, Volumetric and Reflections have the biggest performance hit.

I have two monitors and haven't had this problem, which probably explains why because they may not have encountered it.

Your Computer posted:

I'm on a GTX 1060 with two monitors and it's smooth as butter for me, no tech issues whatsoever

Yeah, it's super variable, no idea why.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/b3ryw1/anyone_else_stuck_at_20_fps/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/b3x109/psa_for_those_who_might_have_horrible_performance

Really bizarre.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

lets hang out posted:

i dont see what i could possibly go do that would make this easier, no matter what i'm still going to have a room full of psychic snipers that force me to fight her in about a 10 ft space while the camera gets shoved into the wall the entire time

I just ran past him because I was tired of slamming my face against the second form of Genichiro, and I can't see any other direction to go. Already talked to Black Hat and cleared the Old Grave.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

poo poo.

I went back tot he starting area and met the guy in purple talking about a song he's hearing. I had already gone to the Dungeon and had the option to lure him down there, but didn't take it. Then I fought the purple guy in the well and got my rear end kicked, came backa nd now that guy is gone. Did I just gently caress up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's only fitting to continue to mark progress in this game in the form of haiku, I feel:

In Buddha ravine
A scrum of monkeys, what fun
No, white ape, no, whyyyyy...

:gonk:

This is the most ridiculous boss fight in any From game ever. Simian Kratos is amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

I was like haha how cute then I saw the boss and also ran into grey haired monkey swordmasters that will deflect you and fight like hell lol

Oh yeah, that one was ridiculous, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Snake Eyes shoots
Her friends can't save her from me
Poison knife, best friend

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

i'd bet a big part of it is that you can't grind your way past challenges and you can't call in help

god knows my feelings towards DS3 would be way more sour if i hadn't been able to co-op my way through 90% of the bosses

Seriously.

DS3 was kinda the worst of the DS games, honestly... they added Bloodborne style fast as poo poo combat without any of the mechanics that make it actually work in Bloodborne. It was just a painful slog, mostly, and the bosses were super forgettable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

I found out last night there's incredibly cheap and easy ways to beat both the Elite Ashina and Seven Spears.

For the Elite Ashina just run up to him and firecracker him. Then keep whirlwind attacking him continously til his guard breaks. Repeat.

For seven spears sneak to the left path instead of up the stairs to stealth kill once. Then run up to the top floor of the pagoa to break line of sight. Then run back down and hang off the stoop ledge to the left. If you did it right his AI will glitch and he won't stab you down. From hanging just freely hack at his ankles like a honorless dog.

You can poison the former and he becomes a joke. Same for the boss on the way to the Gun Fort, the description of the poison blade even specifies that the gun ladies (they are the Okami warrior women) are weak to it. Takes a full combo chain+1 or 2, usually, depending on how much they block.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

in terms of wtf aesthetics i think senpou temple might be my fav souls zone or up there

It's a telling thing that while I was playing that area I no poo poo started smelling incense and wood. Wife and I honeymooned in Japan a year ago and went to a lot of temples, and that smell is burned into my head now and the visuals just immediately brought it back. So good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone know if there's an upper limit to dragon tears? I'm using them sparingly (only once so far, already finished Senpou and the Castle, plus most of the Valley) and have been buying them as I see them, but thus far the usual "unlimited resource" vendor for basic poo poo has not shown up and I'm thinking maybe there isn't one in this game, which is fine. Just want to know if I can pave myself more with them, I only used the last one because a quest NPC was sick.

Also, is there a third person to give drinks to other than the Sculptor and Isshin? I know you can offer to Emma, but that seems like a waste and I've got a third Monkey Booze.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

If Sekiro was meant to be marketable to a wider audience outside of the Souls community, I really expect you won't need a mod for tuning down the difficulty. I'd put money on From patching it to make it a bit more forgiving.

Hahaha yeah no, that's not happening. The only thing they patch, historically, are things like bugs in terrain or AI behaviour. More often than not, this makes it slightly easier, but that's more a case of "working as intended" vs "this is too hard."

From made a game. They intentionally didn't name it Souls. It happens to share some similarities to other stuff they made. This is not surprising, for example Team Ninja has made a bunch of similar-ish games, as have id, and Bethesda, and...

People complaining about "this isn't like Souls" are like people complaining there's no magic in Fallout because Elder Scrolls has it. Shut up.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Walrus posted:

personally this game so far is, having finished temple and castle, much easier than souls or bloodborne. there's no boss that has given me even CLOSE to as much trouble as Vicar, Gascoigne, Pontiff, Abyss Walkers, etc. And the areas between bosses are literally half as difficult. They're too easy, actually, now I think of it. there hasn't been a single non-boss area that I've had to play over and over again like I had to in Anor Londo (1 or 3), Unseen Village, Blighttown, etc etc.

This game has Bloodborne style aggressive enemies, however the parrying doesn't leave you defenseless and while the dodges don't have as many iframes, iframes can be very tricky and BB was generally counterintuitive in that you dodged into attacks, generally speaking. Conversely in this you're actually really safe from the vast majority of attacks because you can deflect/block them, and almost all of the ones you can't have a huge red symbol pop up before they happen so you know exactly when they're coming, even if you didn't read exactly what kind of attack it was.

So yeah, I'd say it's overall easier than BB.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

guts and bolts posted:

Do we have to post credentials before we can talk about this game's difficulty? I got the Platinum trophy in all the Dark Souls games plus DLC and Bloodborne. I just finished Dante Must Die S ranking DMC5. I like challenging games quite a bit.

Yeah okay. :jerkbag:

guts and bolts posted:

Sekiro's problems, as I see them, are twofold.

First, the game is essentially a stealth game at its core, and any time a stealth game locks you in a room with a beefy damage sponge and just says "Good luck," it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under you somewhat. The verticality disappears, you lose access to a small suite of your arsenal of techniques, and the "kill cleverly" axiom vanishes. This feels lame, especially since damage is so high that frequently you don't even have time to learn attack patterns before you are ruthlessly slain with no opportunity to do what a ninja should do and escape.

Your problem right here is that it's actually not. In stealth games you generally are weak and defenseless in a straight fight and have to rely on tricks or special mechanics to win, usually. In this you're actually super strong compared to most From games, especially with so many resurrections. The blocking/deflect are CRAZY generous and forgiving, and the fact that they're one button means even if you gently caress up a deflect you'll still block, which against the vast majority of attacks still means you take no health damage.

Similarly, you have a TON of options to hit enemies through their guard, and a lot of enemies have very specific weaknesses that, once exploited you can just clown on them. There are some exceptional bosses to both these rules, but even with the Castle boss everyone hates - you can back off and recover posture pretty easily (though he will too) and block literally all of his attacks in the first phase without taking any damage, so you can dance around him indefinitely without dying, even if you're bad at the deflect windows.

It's like saying Deus Ex is a stealth game because that makes it easier, even though you can just roll in with 3 augs running and blow up everything with a GEP gun when you actually do get caught.

guts and bolts posted:

The second problem ties into the first. Direct combat in this game is incredibly binary. You either play perfectly, or close to it, and the encounter feels trivial, or you make maybe two mistakes? and then get trapped in a cock-up cascade that renders the fight essentially unwinnable. This is most pronounced early on, which to me is emblematic of poor balance. Sekiro is at its hardest right near start, chiefly when you first attempt to take on Genichiro at Ashina Castle, and that specific boss seems like a litmus test for whether or not you will have the patience to finish the game.

I have personally not given up or quit or bounced off or whatever, and I'm probably going to Plat this game as well since I'm over halfway done doing so, but there have been stretches of game where I am just not having fun. It's too punishing too early.

You said in your humblebrag opening that you played BB... what the hell did you call Gascoigne if not a litmus test of "get on board with dodging and countering or get hosed?" He's literally the first boss and CRAZY punishing in a game where you're far more defenseless as a lay player who may not fully get the concept of iframes on dodges or that you need to dodge through attacks.

guts and bolts posted:

What's more, there's a pervasive sense, owing to the fact that there's three different core dodge/deflect mechanics, that each boss effectively has a solution that you adhere to or die. ("This boss does a lot of thrusts, Mikiri Counter" or "This boss does a lot of sweeps, jump kick" is a highly simplified version of what I'm talking about.) So instead of killing ingeniously, as the tagline suggests, you wind up having to figure out what the game wants you to do via insane amounts of trial and error. You largely don't tackle bosses with creativity - you figure out the one solution and employ it. Or, as is the case with the boss at the end of reception room in Hirata Estate, exploiting the gently caress out of them in a way that doesn't feel very satisfying. For reference, anyone struggling with Lady Butterfly, you can wholly ignore 90% of her fight's mechanics by doing the Nightjar Slash over and over and over and over.

This is accurate, however. There is a definitive way in which this game should be played, mostly, and deviating from it is making things harder than they need to be. Thing is, plenty of other games do this. Shooters do it all the time, so do platformers.

The closest approximation to this game is honestly the recent God of War, though this has even less dynamic gameplay in the sense that you have only one weapon and you can't build your armor around, say heavy usage of power moves. You have far more defensive options, however.

Maybe... maybe you guys should just stop typecasting FromSoft and judge each game on its own??? :ohdear:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 25, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

Are you spamming it to do the combo? It seemed pretty good the couple times I tried it

This. I've found you need the full combo to get it to work, and sometimes a little extra. Their poison build up is just like yours, so if you lay off it will tick down. You basically need tip spam it in their face for full effect, ideally without blocks because blocking reduces poison build up by a bit, same as it does for you. I usually wait for a situation where I know they won't be able to block 2-3 hits of it at minimum, then swing like mad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The ape, large and white
He flings poo and farts on you
White Congalala.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

Cool. I've given him a white pinwheel, then I sent him to space via shinobi magic as he requested. I'll make sure I keep an eye out for him. I was thinking about checking out the magical monkey zone in case he has gone there to chill

Yep, he is. Go talk to him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

O'Rin and her lute
Spinning and dancing with sword
Footprint on her face

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

f#a# posted:

Can someone remind me where the dude who wants info on the samurai is?

Where the Chained Ogre was, he's by the gate. Anyone find someone to send to him? I did the "good" ending for Kotaro.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jose posted:

I'm at the boss in mibu village. I need tons of sen for upgrades and buying stuff and nowhere good to get it. Might finally be cheat engine time lol

I found a great farming loop where you can stealth kill a bunch of poo poo and make stupid amounts of money really quickly. After the the late game event thing, go to the Old Grave, take out the two by the idol, then jump way off the wall to the rooftop, get the guy up there, then jump down and take out the guy in the tower first, then the guy on the ground in front of him, then grapple up to the far roof then wall, get that guy up there, ignore the riflemen, jump thee guy on the ground by the wall, then go finish the last guy on the bridge and take out the riflemen on your run back up.

Each run is like 1400 exp and even without the baloon you'll make like 800-1000 sen at minimum, just leave all the loot and pop the balloon at the end and collect your fortunes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I think this is my favorite From game. Bloodborne has been unseated, they just keep getting better and better as they refine the entire style down to its best essence. Souls games were sort of a wide net, then BB was, "hey, lets make a game that focuses specifically on dodging with a splash of counters while being hyper aggressive," and then this is "Okay, that worked well, but what if we made a game where it was all about parrying while still being hyper aggressive?"

I eagerly await their next game, where they strip it down even further so we have some guy who doesn't even have any weapons at all and fights completely unarmed while dodging and parrying like a lunatic and his arms and legs are all prosthetics and you can shove weird devices into them. Sign me up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

It'd probably help if this game had better growth potential, I think; I can't imagine what NG+3 and up are like.

I'd think the opposite, honestly. Whereas the Soulsborne games have a cap to your attack power once you hit +10 and the stat cap, with the ritual knife you basically can keep going up in attack power indefinitely in this by burning Skill Points, and at a certain point you'd have all the skills anyway, so boosting your attack power is pretty much all you'd do with them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, Demon of Hatred is tough. Mainly the later phases since there's a bunch of ways for him to stack two hits on you rapidly and just kill you outright.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/dark...-on-a-new-game/

Unrelated to Sekiro, buuuuut... :allears:

Dark Thrones or Game of Souls? A Song of Blood and Souls?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So is this getting DLC or what

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

The answer was always probably not but by now I think it's safe to say definitely not.

Thought that was the case until the tweet thing, though I haven't been reading this thread.

https://culturedvultures.com/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-might-be-getting-dlc/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bonaventure posted:

i dealt with the friend by using the whistle to call him over without alerting Seven Spears and then puppeteering his rear end.

I did exactly this, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Another powerful situational one is the Sabimaru (especially the Lazulite Sabimaru), which shreds through enemies in the Fountainhead Palace. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUAzZImdFT8

One of the most underrated weapons in the game. You can turn both gun ladies into paste with poison without breaking much of a sweat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I’m still temporarily stuck on True Corrupted Monk so not much Fountainhead experience yet (boy getting there was... interesting)

Anyway, besides firecrackers, shuriken and Subimaru have been top performers shockingly often. I haven’t learned to effectively use the shuriken followup for gap closing, though, tends to get me caught out

You can cheese her pretty easily for the first two phases by grappling up to the tree on the right immediately and leaping into an assassination, then grappling back up immediately as she transitions into phase 2 and do it again.
From there it's just a matter of parrying her combo/spamming firecrackers and just rushing her down for the final kill.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Didn't they patch the phase one assassination out? Pretty sure the phase two one is just playing the game as intended, though. They gave you those grapple points and had her turn her back to you for a reason.

Oh, no clue in that case. This was in the first week after release. I thought it was an intentional design for that exact reason, why have the branches there otherwise?

Wouldn't be the first time FROM built in a way to make a fight easy if you're crafty.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I want FROM to make a weird rear end futuristic sequel with a robo arm and nano-katana and have it play similarly but be all Cyberpunk and loving wild.

Gimme, FROM. Gimme.

Edit: Now I'm picturing a Yakuza style crossover where Wolf is Kiryu trying to rescue Haruka from an evil enemy family shogun who hangs out at the top of a huge fortress office complex.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 10, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Clearly Wolf is actually a dwarf. Duh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

this is now canon and i'd like a mod to replace the combat music with the fight music from the NES game

replace the heartbeat sound effect on the Die/Resurrect screen with the game over music from that game, too ("GIVE UP?? RETIRE??")

Going to the Sculptor gives you the training music?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I should go back and do an NG+ run. I got the Purification ending on the first (and only) time I played the game at launch.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fallen Order does an okay job of aping a lot of Sekiro's style but the mechanics aren't nearly as tight and it has a few not well explained or demoed mechanics that are actually super powerful and make for fun fights.

Not many bosses, unfortunately, but it's still a fun game worth checking out, especially if you like Star Wars.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I got to the Senpou temple area and instantly got Bloodborne vibes. I think its the music.

Or it's the random dudes with loving centipedes growing out of their necks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Watching that mod, it makes me think... What if instead of a health bar mechanic and whatnot, they instead had Sekiro's health work like the enemy bosses, with a poise bar and just the 2-3 actual pips for enemies to do killing attacks on you. You could argue that the revive mechanic simulates this, but what if it straight worked like a boss, down to some moves only being usable when you have 1 pip left?

In general gameplay it would be less threatening since most enemies probably would never get a killing blow off and there's no "wearing you down over the course of a level" aesthetic, but still... A game designed around that style could actually be really drat cool, where maybe you intentionally tank some health pips to unlock your better moves for high risk/reward play.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

we need a modern (and improved perhaps) Bushido Blade tbh

We really don't. Those games weren't actually very good when you take off the nostalgia glasses. The underlying concept was good, the execution never was. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well I think they mean this game but multiplayer which I've thought of since I first played this.

I mean sure, but that's a completely different game from Bushido Blade. The only similarity is "lol Asian people with swords!" which is so superficial an equivalency it's bordering on racist.