Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been banging my head against the Chained Ogre for 2 hours now. No matter what I do, he just manages to grab me seemingly out of nowhere, welp, dead, gently caress you, try again.

I really don't know if I'm enjoying this game at all. A lot of it feels unfair like Soulsborne wasn't.

Something that I found helped me was to ignore the tutorial popup that says to dodge his grabs, and instead just jump away whenever he starts one. Dodging requires some kind of actual timing and directional control, while jumping backwards seemed to make him whiff with no effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I just beat the final boss (of the "return" ending) with a lightning reversal and it was the very best thing.

Personally I found the spiral spear to be my MVP gadget for most of the game. It has huge reach and reasonable speed, and enemies tend to immediately block when you start it up, so it's pretty safe. It hits decently hard even when blocked, and since it only costs 1 spirit you can just throw it out whenever you feel like it without burning through your supplies too fast.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

I can’t beat general tenzen yamauchi. Cannot do it. Guess this is where I’m done. What a silly, easy boss to eat poo poo on. 9 tries at this point. Every time he sweeps I roll, every time he thrusts I just take it. gently caress

Something I found to help me with pushing the wrong button like an idiot: The game presents this clear trinity of perilous attack types, where you deflect/counter thrusts, you jump over sweeps, and you dodge grabs. But I found that you could do just as well by thinking of perilous attacks as "thrusts" which you deflect/counter and "everything else" which you just jump over. I never had a grab catch me in the air, and dodging grabs doesn't give you a bonus counter-attack opportunity like the other types of responses do. Jumping also happens to be the proper response to the rare 4th type of perilous attack that will show up later.

This simplifies your mental flowchart when you see that red symbol into "Is his weapon pointed at me? Mikiri counter. No? Jump."

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

not to be all :smug: but what was the armored guy's gimmick? I remember a bunch of people in the thread whining about him but I just kinda, uh, killed him. I mean yea he smacked me real hard and I died the first time but the second was painless?

One point of annoyance is that you get a spear that mentions it's good for stripping off armor, and it's easy to miss the single armored opponent that it's actually referring to, so when you finally run into this obviously-armored guy you think "ah, this is the moment the spear was made for". Yeah it specifically mentions poorly-fitted armor and this guy's suit looks pretty well-made, but I dunno, I'm not a medieval blacksmith.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

singateco posted:

Now it's time to unlearn Sekiro and really Dark Souls the boss. Always be running behind the boss's legs and beat his rear end

Yeah, getting behind him is by far the best way to avoid his attacks. He has no attacks that you should really try to parry - his foot stomps can be parried but not blocked, so it's high risk for little reward, and obviously his fire attacks aren't such a good thing to be parrying. He has a couple of big swinging fire attacks that I never 100% figured out how to avoid, but jumping towards him when I got close made them miss often enough that I eventually made it to the end of the fight.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

yeah, that's what worked best. The attack that keeps getting me is the one where he throws out a line of fireballs twice, I just can't seem to dodge, counter or run away from them. Any tips?

He only ever does that when he's at a significant distance to you, and only does it a single time before closing. If he does his big dash attack and ends up across the arena, just do not run in until he's thrown out that attack.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

That is not true. I blocked them all the time.

Every time I tried to parry them but pressed it too early (easy to do because they're slow) I ended up flattened onto the ground with half of my health missing. No idea how we could be seeing a difference there.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

that makes sense :downs:

what about the attack where he slams down and creates a field of fire straight forward? The field is big enough that running horizontally only works 50% of the time, jumping and grappling works some of the time but also not always?

I can get to phase two without using much healing but that one takes off pretty much my entire health bar.

Sprint horizontally AND jump, right before it lands (and then grapple onto him). I found there was kind of an awkward middle range where that wouldn't work 100% of the time, though - if I was close then it couldn't track fast enough to hit me, and if I was far enough then the little bit of extra travel time meant I could get out of the way, but right in between I would sometimes eat it (though maybe better timing would've avoided it). That's another attack that he only does at long range as far as I know, so if you stick to that rear end then you'll barely ever see it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

how? he gets up before the animation finishes.

Not actually attack him with the spear twice, but rather press R2 twice to do the thrust and then the pull followup.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

jizzy sillage posted:

Pro tip for everyone: an enemy literally CANNOT break your posture meter if you deflect (perfect parry) any attack that would break it. You can spend an entire fight at 99% and as long as you never take a hit un-deflected, you will never get staggered. If you're having trouble with guys who smash your posture meter in three hits, those hits are meant to be deflected.

Also is it just me or is it not even usually that bad when your posture does get broken? Like 90% of the time I feel like I would fall down but then roll back onto my feet before actually getting hit by an attack. Even against that one boss that has a specific move to punish it, as long as he wasn't too close at the time. It's certainly not the death sentence that it is for enemies.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm still dying again and again to snake eyes though lol

E: she just blasted me off the cliff with the grab

That's one of the fights where I really liked the spiral spear. Others have also said they had good luck just bulldozing her with the axe.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

I'm just gonna throw out again that two uses of the sabimaru and an ichimonji double wrecks their posture like crazy and is all you really need.

The sabimaru never clicked for me, I think because every time I tried it I ended up stopping just short of actually inflicting poison, so it felt like a waste of time.

Also, her grab is one of many where my strategy of "I don't know wtf that is, jump away from it in a panic" served me well. I don't think I ever actually dodged it with the dodge button.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

IDONTPOST posted:

i sent an npc who was looking for some kinda music into a dungeon and i dont know if i've hosed that up?

There are two possible questlines that guy can go through. You're going to see one of them. I went through the other and there wasn't really any unique content, and the reward was a forgettable consumable.

There's technically also a second person who can take the place of that guy to see that same questline (as far as I know) but he also has his own quest that you would then miss out on, so I'd say you haven't made a mistake or anything.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

someone earlier in this thread described this little loop you can do once you've made it to mibu village that's really good for mid-game amounts of experience. i didn't know how best to describe it so i recorded a video using geforce experience for the first time ever in my life. marvel as halfway through i manage to get stuck on a tree! volume came out pretty loud i think so heads up.

https://youtu.be/gyDuO8Dk_dA

If you want to optimize even further, you don't even need to deathblow the random villagers to kill them. Just slash them once with your sword and go on your way.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

I want cosmetic armor though. My dad gets to dress weird and I can’t even change my pants :(

In addition to this, the game is crucially missing the ability to sheathe my sword dramatically. Make it down on the d-pad (when there's no one to eavesdrop), with a quick tap sheathing it quickly, and a long press making him slash the blood off of it before sheathing it slowly.

Then this game will be complete.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

So is there any way to sneak over to Seven Spears without getting spotted or do I just need to book it past the ogres and gun dude gauntlet and wait for them to deaggro?

Same for the dude down in the well, who I have only peeped down a hole at bc I’m a scared baby?

Stick way to the left - grapple onto that tree, jump over the wall, stab the alarm sentry dude, then crawl under the house and basically follow the path you did when you started the game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

I can get to him without being seen?

You have to kill one other guy near some tall grass but otherwise yeah, you're climbing on the ledges out along the cliff, just like at the beginning when you didn't have a weapon.

You can get to the guy in the well too; just go left instead of right when you kill the alarm sentry.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Control Volume posted:

Im never killing the bell giant with the armor again. If you sneak up on him you can see him petting the dogs

Now I see the true use of the spear: to strip off the uncomfortable armor that he hates so you can run away and let him play with his dogs in peace.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Dewgy posted:

e: I also wanna say just how much I love the Gachiin's Spiritfall and I wish I remember which specific Headless dropped it so I can beeline it in further playthroughs. It's real easy to get four emblems back when nobody can see you. :getin:

It's the one in the misty forest, in Ashina Depths.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Shirahagi, of the poison swamp who also dies to the poison swamp. So much for "poison is ineffective against people who live in poisonous areas".

Seriously what does that loading screen tip even mean

Also what's with the one that says "thrusting attacks can't be guarded against, that's why attacks from a sheathed stance are so effective"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't know why sheathed attacks count as thrusting but you can get the same combat art as the dojo elite miniboss, which is nifty.

I'm fairly sure sheathed attacks aren't thrusting at all, hence my confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The spear was my go-to "gently caress it, just gonna cheese this fight" option (at least against human-sized enemies). I never died to Snake Eyes in either of my two playthroughs because most of the fight was me slamming the spiral spear into her over and over. It does pretty good work against Corrupted Monk too. It's also nice if you get ganged up on by regular enemies because if you can get them clumped together, you can hit a bunch of them at once.