Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lonter posted:

Where? I need spoilers ASAP

Review copies came with a bear of an NDA to the point where reviewers have to set their privacy settings to maximum so it doesn't even show to the outside world you're playing the game and with heavy penalties for blabbing about the game beforehand, so it probably will be pretty quiet until the embargo.

Eagerly looking forward to see which Russian YouTuber first dumps the whole game on YouTube sometime today, if they haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sekiro is REAL GOOD, REAL HARD and REAL ADDICTIVE. I'm only about 10 hours in, so not nearly ready to write any kind of official review, but so far I am really liking it even if most of my game sessions do end with me yelling "gently caress YOU GAME I'M DONE WITH YOU FOREVER" (and then starting again 15 minutes later).

The gameplay is quite different from soulsborne games, but the philosophy is the same: you have to learn to be good (and this time you can't cheese the game by leveling up enough), and exploration pays off in the form of both secrets and lore.

Very much recommended so far.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deptfordx posted:

Man I really would like to play this but I'm the guy who couldn't beat Bloodborne and Nioh and only got through the Souls games by hiding behind a shield and throwing magic. My terrible reflexes and bad eyesight are not up to playing this.

You will most likely have a bad time, yeah. The game is hard, and unforgiving. You might imagine that by making parrying a central component in their game, they'd also make parrying a lot easier than it used to be. They didn't. It's hard. It's also immensely satisfying, and there are cool tricks you can do (you can stealth attack many, but not all, bosses before the fight starts if you're really good and inventive, and knock off one of their health bars) but ultimately it comes down to having to learn parrying and it's REAL HARD.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cowcaster posted:

this is interesting because it doesn't really jive with the other reviewer's opinion posted earlier in the thread that parrying was extremely optional and you could just chip damage beat everything to death with enough patience

I seriously doubt that. Basic enemies, sure, but there are harder basic enemies who are god drat savants at parrying, enemies whose attack animations aren't interrupted by your regular attacks and of course bosses. They will loving murder the poo poo out of you.

Look Sir Droids posted:

See this to me is a sneaky gamechanger on difficulty. Assuming you can flee to complete safety, that leads me to believe you can de-aggro a boss. Meaning you can come back and do sneak attacks till it's dead. Sloppy and tedious sure, but you can get the job done.

I don't think you can. If an enemy de-aggroes, they heal up to full immediately (which means you CAN reset a fight and try again), and fully aggroed enemies (as opposed to unaware or just cautiously coming over to see what you are) kinda supernaturally know where you are and will stay facing you even if you run away and circle around behind them.

What you CAN do is open many boss fights with sneak attacks to remove one of their health bars, which has been a lifeline for me so far. Or flee a fight that's going badly, rest up and reset, and not lose your XP / money. Of course, bosses hit like loving trucks so often you'll be dead by the time you even consider doing that.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Look Sir Droids posted:

How long from the start of the game to get through the tuturial opening and to the hub area, assuming there is one? If I can get this VPN thing to work, that will be my progress goal after the kids go to bed.

Maybe an hour, I'd say. Less if you're good :) The tutorial area is not very long.

quote:

Edit: Totally forgot to ask. Is there fashion sekiro or do I have to finally let hope die?

No Fashion Sekiro, sadly.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Anybody playing notice if there are NPC summons?

Not summons as such, but there are NPCs occasionally who will join you for fights. For instance, before one boss there is a disgraced shinobi hiding in a bush nearby and if you talk to him before the fight / get the boss close to him he makes a speech about FINALLY GETTING HIS BLOODY REVENGE and charges into the battle with you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s weird how many posts are like “Hey I’m not into long, demanding boss fights or obtuse and difficult game mechanics, will I like this?

Well, one of the pre-launch talking points has been "THIS ISN'T SAMURAI SOULS / SAMURAIBORNE" so it's understandable people who wanted to like the previous games but couldn't have that hope.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deified Data posted:

I've always been bad at it because I neglected it, and I neglected it because it was rarely worth the risk when dodging and countering was so much safer and effective (with BB being the exception, I'll parry all day of I can do it with some range). Dodging seems really bad in this game though so I guess parrying is safer by virtue of having no other options.

The thing is though, you need to do both. Some of the bosses require being close and parrying like a motherfucker, some other bosses require you to dodge actively, some require being at a distance...

It's not easy!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Kingfish posted:

Sekiro good? Should buy?

Extremely good. Also extremely hard, but holy gently caress is it rewarding when you GET poo poo DONE.

Basebf555 posted:

I ducked into the little hut there just as a way to hide while the snake went by, but then all the sudden I see the little red icon pop up...

Yeah, that was a bad rear end moment. Then a while later I noticed Sekiro was now like 75% covered in snake blood :v:.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 22, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I am learning this with the axemen, treating them like Bloodborne trolls was not working.

Yyeeep. Today I had to finally start to learning the actual Sekiro combat instead of trying to just dodge and avoid all blows. Parrying is not THAT difficult in the end. I mean, it's tricky, but it's a skill you can learn.

The problem is, as someone pointed out, that everything does so loving god drat much damage to you. Even normal enemies will murder your rear end in a couple of hits, and bosses will take 90% of your health bar if you miss once, so the learning curve is extremely steep and punishing. But keep at it!

Today as I was grinding money for a 3000 gold item in the area before the Drunkard, I accidentally aggroed the area on the Shrine side of the lake by getting spotted, and had to fight them all at once. And I did it. I got help from the "regenerate HP on finisher kill" skill of course, but I still did it.

Expect My Mom posted:

The Spirit Emblem Capacity+ upgrades are kinda negligible so far in my exp, just an fyi

Yep I made a beeline for the first one, at a point in the game where three skill points was a lot, and it added one (1) extra Spirit Emblem.

On the other hand, the ugprades which make your healing effects more powerful are EXTREMELY worth it, as is the skill which gives you HP back for finisher kills.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

gently caress that boss on the horse.

Yeah, that guy can be a motherfucker. Here are some tips which helped me.

I was given the tip that "all of his attacks are easily parryable", which gently caress that, I wasn't able to parry ANY of them.

- When he does the charge at you where he kinda sweeps his polearm on his right side, you can just easily roll through the attack by just rolling towards him to your left. This often makes him charge far past you, triggering...
- When the grappling hook symbol appears above his head, immediately hit it. If you have the "turn a grappling hook jump into an attack" skill, use it. In any case as you land, whack him a couple of times for pretty big posture damage.
- When he starts doing the bullshit where his horse kinda jumps back and forth and he's going apeshit with his polearm, stabbing it into the ground and doing stabs towards you, hit him with some loving firecrackers and then immediately follow with a couple of attacks for BIG posture damage.

I was able to down him in three or four attempts. He seemed crazy and dangerous as gently caress, but was really the easiest boss so far IMO.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 22, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also, yeah lol I am bad at this game. Just mashing L1 and praying.

A tooltip I saw said it was a bad idea to mash L1, because that shrinks down the time window for parries. I've been trying to suppress the urge and it does seem to help.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm more concerned about money than xp though, how am i gonna save up 3000 moneys for that one upgrade item when I keep dying so much

Here's how I did it:

Go into the memory, and fight your way to the area before the Drunkard boss. Or, hell, any area in the memory with a bunch of dudes clustered together you can easily and quickly kill. Pop the Mobu's Balloon item which says it gives you more money (it does, +50% more per kill. Worth noting you get the money even if you pop the item AFTER a kill but BEFORE you loot, so you can not pop the balloon until after you've cleared the area if you feel you might die and waste it).

One run of the area before the boss gets you like 360 gold, a bunch of oil, and usually a Mobu's Balloon or two, and of course a nice amount of XP too. I spent maybe half an hour grinding there and got my upgrade item and a few skill points as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The loving Blazing Bull fight can go eat a huge hatful of poo poo.

Yeah fight him in a corner, that's where the camera totally won't spaz the gently caress out and decide to point down your earhole while the loving boss hits you for 80% of your HP.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jose posted:

Hold down the sprint button and use attacks from running

Yeah I'm trying but the trouble is this motherfucking shitheap can charge into a corner, do his change direction head tilt animations and charge / thrash off before I can get in to hit him. And occasionally when I do, the camera will just spaz out, unlock off him, or he'll just hit me because why not.

Avoiding damage in this fight is not hard, but trying to damage the boss is loving infuriating bullshit. It's especially great when you land the fireworks perfectly on his loving face and he just shrugs them off because he was in an attack animation or whatever.

This is the first boss I've actually been angry fighting :-/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Got the Blazing Bull.

Here's what worked for me:

- When he charges you, run to the side as previously indicated.
- When the bull stops to change direction, toss firecrackers at him.
- IF they work (not guaranteed), break lock on and run behind him. Start hammering on his rear end. If you're directly behind him, the first attack he tries after recovering will miss, giving you additional time to beat him up. You should be able to get a good 8-10 hits in per firecrackers.
- Pretty soon you'll start to do massive posture damage as well, and I was personally able to execute the bull after 4 or 5 successful firecracker sets with him still having ~30-40% of his HP left.

Big gently caress you to whoever decided the aiming point for the boss should be roughly between his shoulderblades so that all your locked on attacks draw you in towards his head where you DON'T WANT TO BE!

What an awful, awful boss fight.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lid posted:

Blazing Bull is a poor poor boss fight.

Its not fun to fight nor feel like youre learning as you go. Its hitboxes are wonky and it matvhes nithing before in the worst way. I dont know why they left it in.

Yep, I killed him and I still hate the fight. It was a buggy, clunky mess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I was going over the footage I captured from the game and turns out I did get video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISsbiSSX6Q

loving Ogre.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goblin week posted:

Poor Kokube, thought of gunpowder and died

I gotta say I've been laughing at this post for two days now.

Anyway, I just got the nerve to go fight Lady Butterfly and I really need that One Shuriken Upgrade but I have no earthy idea where the hell it is.

I bought that 3000 gold one from the merchant, but I don't think that's it?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HampHamp posted:

Bosses die incredibly fast if you never let up the attack, backing off and reacting to them lets them regain posture and drags out the fight.

For me this is what it comes back around to. If I try to play it like I play soulsbornes normally, ie. sit back and try to react, I get nowhere. Have to be aggressive and push the attack, even though it's so loving scary and nerve-wracking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HampHamp posted:

But when it works the game loving sings, it's astonishing.

Oh yes, absolutely. The more I play the more I love it, but that initial disconnect made me almsot hate Sekiro. It felt too hard and too punishing, but it was just me trying to play the game wrong.

orange sky posted:

Since no one answered my spoiled question, I will ask without spoilers - did anyone drive their sword into its eye? If you have, you know what I'm talking about. Is it optional or can you only go forward if you do it?

Absolutely. It looks like that's the only way forward.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m not seeing where I can go other than that cave. Is there another path behind the General in the courtyard after the ogre?

Yes.

Go to the shrine behind the General, then head left from the broken bridge.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goblin week posted:

You get the upgrade tool from Horseback Boss, and then you go to the Sculptor and that unlocks the upgrade. The thing the game never tells you is that upgraded shinobi tools are separate from the basic ones

Oh so it's just an upgrade from the upgrade tree, gotcha. I have unlocked the ability but I never went back to upgrade anything. I guess I should :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your Computer posted:

loving :laffo: I did not expect a headless in the moat :magical:

The moat under the bridge with the weird old lady who keeps talking about some holy man in the temple? I went down there yesterday figuring there had to be SOMETHING there and found nothing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bardeh posted:

Killed the first actual boss I fought in 2 tries, then the burning bull miniboss after him is giving me a lot of trouble. There seem to be so few opportunities to get attacks on him because getting anywhere near him is so dangerous because his attacks are all huge sweeps.

Yeah I had problems too.

Here's how I finally killed him:

RUNNING should be your default mode of movement. Run sideways to avoid his charge, then when he's turning around hit him with the firecrackers. As he rears up, run behind him, break lock and just hammer his rear end with your sword. Because you're behind him, his first turning attack will miss. Then relock, move away and repeat. You'll be able to do a lot of damage this way and his posture meter will fill up fast.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Moon Monster posted:

I totally did, guess I just missed it if he told you that part.

He does. After you do the basic tutorials and the free fight, a whole bunch of other tutorials open up, including one that teaches you how to kick dudes in they heads.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Killed Lady Butterfly last night. God drat that was a good fight, seriously one of my favourite in all the Soulsborne games. After a few attempts I felt like I had a good grip on the fight and was able to execute my plan. Got the boss down to like 10% HP before dying, then on the next run killed them. Super satisfying.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relin posted:

i dont think i can play this...i always ignored parrying in thee other titles (i've completed ds1-3, des, nioh and bloodborne) but i cant kill the second general after the ogre miniboss. i just cant. parrying in mgrr made sense, this doesnt work for me

I almost never parried in any Dark Souls game, and had trouble even in Bloodborne. It does take some work getting used to it here, but it's 100% doable, a lot easier than it ever was in the previous games.

Basically some things to keep in mind:
- Unlike in Soulsbornes, your parry has no animation. Just hit it as the enemy attack is about to hit you.
- If there are multiple attacks, you will need multiple parries. Don't panic. Just keep observing and you'll get it. Even if you don't 100% parry every attack, you'll block it and that's better than nothing.
- When you're attacking enemies, when you get a big CLANG sound effect and orange sparks from their blocks, they just parried you and are about to start a counter attack string, so stop attacking and get ready to parry.

Upgrades also help. Notably the upgrades that give enemies more Posture damage on parries, and the upgrade that increases your damage for a few seconds after parrying.

It took me a few hours to really get it down and I wasn't super into the game before it did, but once I figured it out, I started loving Sekiro. The combat really is amazing and so loving satisfying.

For the general(s), be aggressive. Keep close to him, and pester him with attacks but don't go full ham because you need to be ready to parry. When he does his jumping attack, you can dodge towards him to end up behind him as he lands and just smack him in the back. They seemed impossible to me too in the beginning, but you will absolutely get better. Just stick with it :)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

guts and bolts posted:

Is anyone else on PS4 getting the classic "already killed bodies drop back down after seemingly being suspended two feet off the ground if you come back from a short walk away" FROM thing? Happened to me in DaS3 and BB a lot. Super minor but occasionally funny.

Yes and it freaks me the gently caress out. I'll run back into a cleared area, see an enemy standing there, freak out and then the corpse just plops down onto the ground. Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Got into the Abandoned Dungeon. To quote Hellboy...

I think someone had some cheap cheesy strat for the boss in this place? Anyone?