Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
drat, I suck at countering. Thankfully blocking and spamming attack still takes care of the lower level enemies.

When you return to the tower where you first meet the kid in the intro, there's a miniboss with a big rear end lance that slaughters my rear end. Anyone got some hints for taking him down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Asehujiko posted:

Is there any trick to the mounted general beyond praying he doesn't rear up out of the camera's field of view and starting his golf swing combo from where you can't see or counter it?

I got him by mostly using plain blocking instead of trying to time the parries. His attacks doesn't seem to harm your guard meter that much.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I have never had ANY good experience with Steam controller support. My first experience was that games didn't work because buttons were randomly mapped away to nothing and I had to do a lot of troubleshooting before I realized Steam thought it could manage my 360 pad better than the games themselves.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

MMF Freeway posted:

It feels dumb that when you fall in a pit you just like reappear with some health missing. What the gently caress kind of casul poo poo is this!!

I am really thankful for that - death on fall in a game with tons of jumping around which also has levels built basically in the clouds, would be torture.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jose posted:

Dam I'm getting owned by that first spear mini boss

same but every miniboss

also every normal enemy

gently caress

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Your Computer posted:

dumb question but where do I spend all my money? I've only found the one vendor on the top of a plateau in the very first area who sold a couple of things and nowhere else to spend my money, am I missing something?

Not sure which one you refer to here, might be one I've missed. Here's those I've found:

After beating horse rider boss backtrack up the stairs to find an area with a few NPCs inside and a vendor outside to the right. He sells one not-estus shard too!

Climbing up to the main castle somewhere to the right with all the rooftops, there is a NPC stuck inside near the castle wall. Talk to him and he will show up in the shrine later.

Near the main castle entrance to the left, next to a not-bonfire which leads to a catacomb-like area

On the other side of the broken bridge (where the previews showed a boss fight) inside one of the buildings is a hat dude vendor

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
How do you get to the cave near the temple, near the Ashina Outskirts Wall? It's way down on a cliff face there, and no grapple points.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is there a trick to taking on the blue clothed samurai in Ashina Castle Upper Tower, or is it just a matter of Git Gud? That unblockable attack that takes half my health always catches me by surprise.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Oh wow, the Upper Tower Dojo miniboss was at first really hard, but then everything clicked and I got him on my second attempt with a new technique. Double tap LB when he attacks! He hits twice, so you gotta parry both attacks. And he takes so much posture damage when doing that he's basically "double parry, the tutorial"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
So, Lady Butterfly - how many snap reeds do you need for the fight? Also, is there somewhere I can get more of them?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Goddamnit. Finished the castle, on to the next area. Motherfucking Snake Eyes! How do I deal with this gun toting maniac?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Imhotep posted:

Uh I may or may not be responsible for *pre release* dragonrot panic, although I later said wait idk why it would be just dying but that makes sense since the game has to justify why you come back to life, etc. So I did correct myself, sort of, but drat, I can’t imagine going through the loading screens while also dealing with some (all) of the boss fights I died repeatedly during.

Also, the conversation between the devil mask guy and sekiro and he asks him what his name is, then laughs and asks him to hunt rats did Sekiro say Tenku or did the other guy? also, tenku... sounds like Tenchu?? And I just realized the Memorial Mob dude is the gosh darned s sculptor wtf isgoing on! I thought I was sekiro now everything’s weird

Tengu

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
After finishing the castle and the next area (Senpou Temple) I just got another sword, the Mortal Blade and I'm not sure where to proceed after this. All path seem gated off by hard as gently caress bosses. There's two bosses that spam terror so quickly I never got time to cure it before dying, and then there's the blunderbuss dude. Any hints for where I should go? There's also a big rear end bell of DOOM, should I ring it or not?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

queeb posted:

ring th ebell just to see what it does

Oh gently caress.

SINISTER BURDEN

Did I just activate hard mode?

edit: Oh, so you can turn it off again by just "use"ing the inventory item you get. Thank god.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 24, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Oh wow, confetti basically made the dungeon horror wizard into easymode. He basically melted away.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Upper Tower Antechamber is a good warp point to farm a little bit of skill points/money risk free. You can stealth kill three of the blue robed samurai there easily, which gives you about 250 skill points and 300 sen, then just rest and repeat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
So, cave in poison area. How do I get past the second snake encounter? I can go down the left side and there's a grapple point, but of course he attacks me as soon as I jump there.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Not sure, but I might be close to the end game, maybe? Or late game at least. Castle level lost all the waypoints and it's been invaded by much harder enemies. And on top of the castle is a cutscene with a choice. I picked obey, might have been a bad choice, or maybe it doesn't really matter.

And goddamnit, the ninja that is in the temple behind the castle now took me like two hours and of course he's just a normal miniboss and drops a bead.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is the red candy basically useless? I see no difference in either health or posture damage when I eat one.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Finished the game! Though I got the bad ending, which I guess means I missed out on a whole area. Now, whether to start NG or NG+...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Wow, just discovered that there are alternate gourds that works against poison etc. I never read the description closely so thought they were just expensive single use items, but they work exactly like your health gourd and refill the charges when resting.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

rio posted:

Dragonrot question - so apparently I missed the item that cures everyone’s dragonrot. I was backtracking and randomly found what I needed to get it. I’m wondering when using a droplet, will the “slight increase in Resurrective Power” be permanent or are they referring to how it resets Unseen Aid percentage and it will go back down after I die enough?

Also should I be hoarding droplets, only using them when I know I need to talk to an npc that has dragon aids, or can I use them fairly liberally just so I don’t feel as bad about loving up everyone’s lives?

Edit: also,

To cure people, you have to use it from the Idol/bonfire menu. If you use it straight from your inventory, I just assume it adds to your little circles so you can resurrect after already doing it once, and is not permanent.

Also, playing through the game once has definitely given me some skills. Second NG playthrough now, and I was up to the Dojo before the first Dragonrot appeared.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Augus posted:

Giving him the red and white one lets you send him to work with the shopkeeper in front of the castle though, and it also makes him happy :unsmith:

What? He simply refused to take my red and white one...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
NPC quest question time:

Dude near your return to the starting area Does he have a quest, or does he just pop up in random places to give flavor text?

Dungeon Are there any NPCs that you can feel justified in sending to the Surgeon? So far it seems really evil to send the ones I've been prompted about.

Thirsty guy in village Can I do anything with him? Or with the guy in the house with 1000 pots?

Beyond the village Can I resolve the thing with the ghost lady without simply fighting her?

Also, my opinion is that you definitely should go to Senpou Temple before defeating the castle boss. It will give you more XP, another skillbook and lots of items, and skillwise it seems easier than the other areas you can proceed into.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CJacobs posted:

Wait till you notice that an enemy's strength is directly proportional to how unnaturally tall they are compared to you!

Tell that to the pygmy bastards and nightjars that killed me 100x so far.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Elman posted:

She's a lady. If you read your tools' descriptions you might find one that's helpful against her.

Unrelated question: when did this informant guy move to the Dilapidated Temple ? I think he might have been there for a while and I only noticed now. He's hard to spot.

He moves there as soon as you do his "quest" in the castle (Clear out the trash mobs below his position)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Alan Smithee posted:

For Lady Butterfly should I level up a bit before facing her later? I only got the 4 prayer beads and her melee is more than half my drat health

Probably. Go find some more prayer beads, and be sure to kill at least the first proper boss in the main path of the game to get a slightly stronger attack.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think Dragonrot is a percentage chance for each person, and the percentage check triggers/increases with each death.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Spent about 40 minutes trying against the first snake eye sister, have a really good attempt going, nearly fill up her posture bar the second time... And she back hops off the side off the cliff to her death. No loot, no exp and when I rest she's back sitting smugly, i should be mad but the mental image is too funny

If you just want to progress, and not kill her - I assume you're in the Gun Fort area - there's a ledge you can shimmy on to the left of her arena to continue onwards

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
What prosthetic is good against Corrupted Monk? I want to defeat her before Genichiro, but only having two damage upgrades is making it a bit hard.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Firecracker

But you should probably come back after unless you want to spend like 7+ minutes chipping her down

I knoow, but I want to explore underwater before progressing the main plot

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Welp, seems like I missed some eavesdropping opportunities and now I missed my chance to get all prayer beads, and possibly the "best" ending. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hackan Slash posted:

The point of no return for doing the steps for the endings is (being as generic as possible)killing the boss of the area where the incense takes you to

More specific spoilerI was able to complete the steps for both endings after beating the corrupted monk in the fountainhead, the cutoff appears to be killing the dragon because then kuro moves and you can't talk to him before the end

This may not help your case, but hopefully this'll reduce someone's agita.

I'm talking about the thing that unlocks the second, harder Estate memory, where two prayer beads are given by minibosses And yeah. I did the thing in your first spoiler, without realizing it would have consequences.