Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It’s the new activision side of the partnership trying to hedge their bets I would guess. There are some legitimate reasons to think this game might not score super well, and the core fromsoft diehards scarcely need the convincing, so why take the risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I were them I would be concerned about the perception that this game is a step back from the previous ones in terms of a naive comparison of features and content that were "stripped down" (number of weapons/armor sets/builds, absence of multiplayer, no character customization, etc. etc.). Personally I was ambivalent about a lot of those things and won't really miss them, but it's easy to see how a beancounter type would get nervous about how it will go over

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The only problem with parries in bloodborne was the game not having consistent rules about what could and couldn't be parried and making you guess. If above secret is true it sounds like maybe that's kind of being addressed, so good on them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All the influencers said it was hard when they got to play a week or two ago as well. But then they all said the same thing about bloodborne and we know how that turned out

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Finished this earlier. Not sure where I'd rank it yet other than that I definitely liked bloodborne (my series fav) more. It has some unusually prominent flaws and it took me a while to warm up to it in general but I liked it quite a bit once it clicked. We'll see how it fairs on a completionist run once the wiki deets have been compiled.

I'm assuming since there wasn't a season pass there won't be DLC, which is a shame- the endgame optional stuff seems very thin this time around.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BurningCourage posted:

Question for a certain area, is the four monkeys boss in Kongou Temple optional? I tried that but got bored and homewarded out. Not sure where else to go in the Temple if it is indeed optional. I went straight past bigass centipede dude too. Have I gone totally the wrong way? I'm reasonably sure I gotta do this area for the story

Mandatory.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DuffMayhem posted:

Holy loving poo poo are you kidding me Lady loving Butterfly?!?! It took everything I had to burn her down then she comes back with full health and ghosts?!? I’ve killed the cow boss and haven’t had too much trouble with this game but this fight is just wrecking my poo poo. Am I supposed to fight her much later on??

I'm not even sure she's mandatory. In any case there's no rush until/unless you hit something similarly hard on the present day path. I put the past off for a long time after hitting a wall on the drunk early on, then came back and absolutely steamrolled both him and her easily with the upgrades I got in the interim.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The virgin step dodge vs the chad jump away while blocking

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

rio posted:

Are any of you far enough to tell me if I will essentially live in a barren wasteland caused by my own deaths? My one gripe is the punishment of dragonrot because it is going to be depressing having everyone coughing and dying, unless they expect us to have our first playthrough be a practice run and then play the game at some undetermined point in the future once we are good enough to never die and get to see everyone not get sick. Also it seems backwards that your chance of unseen aid goes down the more you die, or at least excessive. I don’t mind dying and practicing but they sure do seem to want you to feel bad about it.

Also I wish the training guy was better. He’s a scrub and I can’t get any real practice against him that prepares me for actual miniboss/boss situations, and of course “practicing” against them is just going to have them punish you more, like an abusive parent where you feel awful even after accomplishing what they want you too. Maybe that’s the target demographic.

Dragonrot mechanics spoilers As far as I can tell no one ever dies of dragonrot- at least in my many many many deaths after the point I figured I could probably ignore the dragonrot mechanic, I didn't notice that anyone had died. I think some sidequests can be blocked while NPCs are sick, but that's about it. Overall it's a stupid mechanic that's more about flavor and not anything to worry about. You get a ton of dragonrot clearing items and can buy more though, so don't hesitate to use them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rifle spear guy is a big flashing sign saying to go do some other paths first. Not that that stopped me from spending 90 minutes trying to get him :unsmigghh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was also infuriated by the ambiguous grab/sweep. That said I guess because the point of the spear doesn't flash you are supposed to be able to tell that it has to be a grab.

Fargin Icehole posted:

For that whole dragonrot thing, that's only if i decide to use the ressurection powers, right?

Dragonrot builds up any time you die. I suspect it might count more if you die and resurrect but that's just a suspicion.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Distracted by worry, whenever I think about some bedraggled lunatic in a tent coughing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's definitely possible to aggro and deaggro her then take off a health bar with a stealth attack, it's just jank and 20 guys are trying to shoot you while you set it up. I did do it once though so if you're really hard up, might be worth looking into

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I missed the fifth skillbook in my playthrough, unless it had something good in it ichimonji supremacy was utterly unchallenged

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of boss reference conversations there's one in the reservoir that has me confused

Two dudes on a bridge talking about some guy with ill fitting armor. You get the armor ripping spear very nearby so I was expecting to run into that boss somewhere around there but I never have. Where is it?

I think they're talking about the castle boss, who does get out of his armor after the first phase. That said yeah it seemed to be relating to the spear, so I could be wrong

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

folks, this loving rifle granny was bad the first time. she didn't get any more fun to fight when i had to banish her even deeper into hell. worst goddamn fight in the game so far and she's the one that miyazaki decided needed an encore.

tilted as h*ck rn

The vast majority of the miniboss enemies show up 2+ times, so I can't regard that one as any more of a gently caress you than, say, the dozen identical headless assholes waiting around in every deep hole in this nightmare earth

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ayn Randi posted:

Question re senpou temple main hall: there is apparently supposed to be an Npc by the altar here but there wasn’t for me, before or after screen monkeys. I didn’t come until post genichiro, is there anywhere else he lives or can I make him appear?

He only appears if you reach the area relatively early, but not exactly sure what the cutoff point is. There's another way to get the item he gives you so all you're missing out on is flavor.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game normally hides its asset reuse somewhat well, even though you fight almost every miniboss and several bosses at least twice in some form. But with the headless they just said gently caress it and copy pasted them wherever

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 25, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you can, please get a controller

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

For the bull, try turning off lockon and just chase its rear end/flank around slashing, it doesn't really have any moves that can punish that strategy. It feels dumb as hell and not in the spirit of the game but is highly consistent

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Killing the yokai minibosses kinda seems like a waste of time to me, there are 2 of them copy pasted 14 times around the map and neither are particularly fun or interesting fights, and that's before the consumable issue

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm probably overestimating it somewhat, but I don't think anyone can really argue that the headless aren't horribly overused

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The underwater ones are actually the less miserable ones because they have very much shortened health bars. You can pretty much rush them down as long as you can dodge three or four attacks

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All the dark souls games and bloodborne got huge mileage out of reuse of generic human enemies with various weapons and spells and perhaps minor AI tweaks, which was really double reuse because the player could use the equipment as well. Sekiro has much higher effort put into fewer, more unique miniboss types. Which type of reuse is more egregious seems like quibbling, the main takeaway is that it seems like people were less bothered by it in mainline soulsborne. That said the headless copy pasting in particular boggles the mind of all reasonable folk

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 28, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The main use of the whistle upgrade by the time you get it is making killing other headless dudes easier, so imo it can be skipped unless you really want something else that has it as a prereq or you have ng+ ambitions

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ichimonji is solid but one of the dumb things about the game is that getting your posture broken almost never matters, so it’s less wild than it first seems

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In my experience enemies are very rarely set up to punish a posture break. You might take one hit if it gets broken in the middle of an enemy combo but then you instantly have your whole bar back and can just resume blocking. On my second playthrough I’m finding it way better to just let your posture break than to back off and let the bar drain in most situations. YMMV of course

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think the game will have DLC since they didn't sell a season pass. But I'd like to be wrong. Well cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Meiteron posted:

From has released DLC for every game in it's Souls-Style history and this one is getting wild critical acclaim so the only way DLC will get more confirmed from right now is when we're all playing it

What about demon souls, OP