Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

buildmorefarms posted:

Yooooo without weapons or armour sets where are we gonna get all that sweet lore that would typically be delivered via item descriptions

Shockingly characters may actually interact with the protagonist and explain the core story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay here's the thing about difficulty in the Souls series: you can either play these games relying on shields or not. If you rely on blocking with big shields then all 3 games are actually hilariously easy because across the entire series there are maybe a grand total of 5 or 6 enemy attacks that can hurt you. If you choose not to use shields, - get this - they're still the easiest Character Action games on the market.

The difficulty comes 100% from (usually glacially paced) pattern recognition and it punishes you for not recognizing patterns but there are absurdly few cases where the game doesn't start telegraphing the next pattern while you're still a mile away.

So for someone to say they're bad games because they're "too hard" tells us two things about that person:
1) Equipping a shield and holding down L1 is a MLG tactic that's far beyond their casual comprehension
and
2) They have an unevolved brain that doesn't quite grasp the fact that the boss is using 3 different moves over and over.

I can't wait to dunk on samurai demons the same way I just dunked on this chump.

Lol you are why people hate souls fans lmao

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

You joke but that was ruined for me before I saw the film. :(

Goons tend to be good about using spoiler tags, and I just come for general info that isn't tied into story and the like, like when I asked if the game was linear or open world. I mean poo poo, even in the Bloodborne thread people are spoiling things about Sekiro.

Well yeah, it's a movie older than most people.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

So apparently they are not sending out review copies. Did from ever do that with it's other games?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

I assumed discussion about from games wouldn't be chill but goddamn

the amount of fart sniffery is p amazing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fadam posted:

Partying in Bloodborne is fine but non of the 1h weapons are as fun as the trick weapons. Whirligig Saw is goat

Auger Parries with a 2h are the true parry

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

bloodborne's bosses were very good solo, but dark souls 3's were a loving nightmare

here's to hoping sekiro's mobility options will put it closer to the former

soulsbourne bosses are extremely subjective. everyone struggles with different ones. I love a lot of DS3's boss fights actually, and i actually enjoy the game nearly as much as BB because i'm a late fan of the series, i came in with bb after giving up on DS1 after like 2 hours. I don't have t he "if the same story" problem with DS3 as i never finished DS1 until the remaster. I thought bosses like the Dancer, the 2nd Iudex, dragonslayer armor, and pontiff were fun as gently caress. It also took me till my current NG+ run to solo kill martyr logarius so go figure what is "easily solo'ed " vs not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Plunging attacks have been in souls for a long rear end time, sekiro looks like it's just making them instakills on human enemies.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

it's got some autoaim land directly on your target going on that the souls plunges don't have which makes it noticeably different i m h o

Which makes sense since dark souls controls do not exactly lend to agile aerial maneuvers

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

These are a bit different to that though, this is like targetting and launching yourself bodily off a building and landing into an animation to kill someone rather than just falling directly onto them from a platform and killing them.

Yeah I know, it's taking a similar concept and using it to help facilitate being an agile grappling hook ninja

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thinking From games are perfect when they are littered with problems and dumb choices and often straight up laziness is hilarious. Enemy attacks clip through walls horrifically, armor and weapons have huge clipping issues, they don't animate NPCs at all to "save money" which made sense for like, maybe ds1. They reuse weapon movesets to lamely increase variety, mechanics are hidden from the player and sometimes literally don't work, ability scaling and gemming is horrendously overcomplicated and often confusing, etc etc

Yes the core gameplay is awesome and the games are fun as hell, which is all the matters, but I've seen multiple people call bloodborne or one of the souls games "perfect."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's exciting to see a from game where not everyone is dead or gone and the story can be told more normally, at least for the core story. I've always felt bloodborne could have been more engaging of a story if the main npcs had provided the surface story significantly more to help give impact to the secrets discovered in the dlc. The story itself is real good and I wonder how many people never really grasped it if they only played through once.

I know I'm the odd one out in souls fans but the item descriptions as story poo poo always bothers me cause how does the The Hunter actually know any of this stuff? did the whirligig saw come with a sticky note on it?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Is having movesets for weapon types really that lazy? I don’t think there are really enough permutations of normal weapon swing to account for every single weapon in the souls games, plus there are unique ones with special sets

My point was BB went in the right direction of reducing the overall number but increasing the amount of uniqueness to those weapons. My accusation of laziness is more pointed at the graphics issues and lack of attention to NPCs. In regard to the movesets you could simply have animated some of them to look different even if for balance reasons you kept all of the core stats like how fast the attacks come out or the reach the same.

Cowcaster posted:

doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. having a lot of voiced characters, cutscenes, and dialogue after coming from a history of doing nothing but the bare minimum of voiced characters mumbling cryptic lines is a definite change and could potentially be way outside of from's comfort zone

Yeah, but I think they are talented enough that it will be cool and good, and hopefully gives the already hinted at deeper plot more oomph when its hidden in comparison to the base story. With BB there was mystery inside mystery, and I wonder how many players may have never fully grasped the storyline after getting lost in the weeds trying to just figure out the main story, let alone the history of the church and bergenwerth.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2019

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

acksplode posted:

I'm expecting a lot of this. From does environmental storytelling like no one else, and they gave eavesdropping its own button, so I bet that's where a lot of the narrative will be delivered

From is odd in that they both excel and utterly fail at adhering to the idea of "show don't tell." Level design, art direction, character design, etc are just fantastic, but then major story beats are just read by the player in a different version of the much maligned Doom 3 audio logs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I have a Pro, and my PC is good but getting old so I'm at this weird place where to get to 60 fps I have to drop many games far enough down in graphical quality that playing it on a monitor with better frames vs sitting on couch using my big TV becomes a toss up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dark Souls 3 is the weakest game in the series so that might be more of a DS3 thing :v:

Also yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to doubt From's ability to try to tell a more traditional narrative. Just because they're good at environmental storytelling doesn't mean that it didn't begin as a crutch, necessarily.

It's been a long time since demons souls and dark souls though. I'd hope From can be competant enough to hire smart people to do the main story. There is nothing mutually exclusive about their excellent character and environment design that would have to be ignored.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Not having item weight is the best part of Bloodborne

item weights indeed suck rear end. the amount of damage absorbed by heavy armor vs the increased chances of being hit from the reduced rolling ability is totally out of whack, armor barely counts anyway just let me have my fashion souls and look cool

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

If your choice is between a PC with a goddamn 980 and an OG PS4, I would gamble on the PC for sure.

yeah, my 1050 ti is starting to struggle with most new games so given that i have a pro and a 4k tv i will be waiting to see what the performance numbers look like since if i have to drop a bunch of setting just to get even close to 60fps i can sit on my couch and play on my big tv instead of my monitor.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spoilers when it's still reasonable to have not seen or experienced something I'm on board with, but getting mad about getting like, a 3 year old thing spoiled is dumb unless it's in a context where people can avoid it. Like The Witcher 3 and bloodborne threads still keep sppiler tags going.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ended up going PS4 Pro since i mostly hang out with IRL friends in parties on there anyway, and as a friend who mostly games on pc mentioned, from track record is spotty at best on PC. If somehow its utterly amazing, can always pick it up on a steam sale at a later date

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how they gave a guy who streams dead by daylight early access but not the dude who had the dark souls 3 world record and mostly streams souls speed runs.

That guy is reaching a new audience, ds3 guy is not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

bloodborne is the only game i own on ps4 and so shall it ever be.

not playing Horizon or God of War is missing out my man

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i played god of war but the whole time i was thinking about how much better from's games are.

i agree with ENB that GOW was a better combat style than from's games and im hoping sekiro is a response that evolves it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

god of war is the most a video game has ever made me roll my eyes, it's so loving corny. i love being an emotionally abusive father and pushing blocks

this is hilariously reductionist and one can do this with literally any video game or type of entertainment

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

GOW, DMC5, and Fromsoft games are all so different in every way shape and form I don't know why they would be compared as though they were in the same genre/style. the only common thread is "you slash poo poo with a pointy weapon" because the combat for all 3 is so wildly divergent in terms of enemy management, skill/stat upgrades, or levels and exploration.

GOW felt a lot closer to From and there are a lot of similarities in how it works. Specifically I agree with ENB where From was starting to feel a bit stale by DS3, and GOW was a breath of fresh air. Sekiro literally does seem to be a move to take From's base style and evolve it in a similar direction where like in GOW you have a limited number of weapons, but combat is then fleshed out with abilities and the like.

Its not saying any of the options are bad or preferring one or the other is wrong cause that's just preference.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

man why you gotta post this

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

as i posted earlier from kinda ruined games for me with the way they use the medium for narrative/storytelling. god of war was the old lame way of doing things.

as someone who likes these games but really does not enjoy the storytelling methods, we are so at odds that we are not even ships passing in the night, we are in different hemispheres lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

my view is most games want to be movies and just feed you the story. it's the equivalent to me of a film having a bunch of text explaining things. having to piece it together is more "natural" and using the medium as its own thing.

I guess my issue is outside of level design, From games literally are told via a bunch of text explaining things, and then like 30 seconds of cutscenes where half the dialogue consists of rueful/crazed laughter

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I said come in! posted:

This thread is about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

which most of us cannot play yet, so we are passing the time instead of just posting "i want to play game" at each other

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

on the ongoing storytelling discussion, basically i think DOOM nailed the balance of keeping exposition to a minimum but presenting a solid story, while also providing a significant amount of detail and depth to the story via optional text dumps. i think From walks that line too and to me goes too far in vagueness but thats my opinion and obviously im in the minority of souls fans. and no im not saying doom's story is equivalent in quality or anything to BB or something, just looking at the methods used. there is a solid, simple story told mostly via gameplay and a few cutscenes, and then all of the other stuff is sequestered in places you have to look for it, but also reveal neat details and significantly explain the backstory and world of the game.

the nameless king being a mystery unraveled only by the players working for it is good and cool. BB never actually telling the player about how the Church, Hunters, Bergenwerth, and the School of Mensis are related at all is a bit too far into overdoing it, for my taste.

the BB DLC is easily my favorite souls content and it provides far more explicit narration and explanation than is normal and yet still has a poo poo ton of detail to mine out.

i want to play game!!!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hi guys just wanted to let you know that this post is sponsored by Nord VPN. Nord VPN provides secure internet access for a low monthly fee. Check it out in the link below.

I can't wait to play Sekiro!

https://nordvpn.com/offer/best-vpn-offer/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexDEoYNEEyjUSMLHXGt2TqZ5bO7Ic_OfmsQbSjkqnmoaHuoleo8blmxoCGj8QAvD_BwE

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Do you guys think sekiro will have as long a shelf life as dark souls 3?

Have not played it but I'm gonna just say sure why not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

So I've died a poo poo ton to the second general guy In the tutorial, should I just restart cause of dying so much?

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 22, 2019

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah gently caress there is some permanent thing in my inventory now from dying so much, guess im restarting, gently caress.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Iverron posted:

But you get limited chances to cure it and it isn’t a permanent cure so it can just come back? I haven’t used my free drop and the only other one I’ve seen was on the traveling merchant.

yeah gently caress it guess i'm starting over. sucks that they made dying a loving permanent punishment in a hard game where the supposed gimmick is resurrection. Guess it's just a trap to make it harder.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Iverron posted:

I think it’s just an unavoidable part of the game dude I’m just not sure how exactly things work yet.

It's avoidable, it's just that you cannot use resurrection

Edit: oh gently caress this is actually straight up dying that has loving consequences, what the gently caress from soft

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Iverron posted:

I thought there was some discussion that death caused it as well.

Yeah it is, holy poo poo this is loving dumb to straight up permanently gently caress you like a Sierra game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I may have drank too much in celebration and thus gotten mad at 2am

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Guys i already finished the estate but I think I missed someone y'all keep talking about. Who is the Shinobi Hunter/purple ninja? I've killed the drunkard and lady butterfly and a dude with a spear past the bridge, just before the 3rd lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

so im out of divine confetti cause i accidentally used it during the fight. Is there any other way to kill headless with out it or am i just screwed out of that drop?