Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Okay where's the path that takes me somewhere other than the Ogre, I just spent the last forty-five minutes dying over and over again to an undodgeable grab attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

Find the bell in the area past the first general and offer it to ol Siddhartha

Ohhhh! I kept thinking I had to talk to the sculptor to get him to take it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

This game might legitimately be too difficult for me, and I say this as someone who's beaten (and loved) all the Soulsborne games, Bloodborne especially.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wasn’t Shrine of Amana nerfed in DS2?

Yes. One of the patches removed some of those guys who constantly cast spells at you across the water, and also decreased their casting range.

Then Scholar of the First Sin added a summonable NPC who basically does that part for you.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I’m bashing my head against the Drunkard[\spoiler] and the B[spoiler]ull and don’t see myself beating either soon.

Am I missing something, or is there a less-insane path I could be on?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sprint around bull, assassinate drunkard's Buddies, Backstab him talk to guy at the pond who will assist you. Firecracker work okayish

Firecracker are great for bull

How the hell are you supposed to backstab him? Also the guy at the pond auto-aggros as soon as I start picking off the goons and then dies in twenty seconds.

I really thought this game was starting to “click” after the horse boss. This sucks.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You can get around and behind him. The guy didn't auto aggro for me,I did lure and backstab all the adds except one archer

Maybe I just need to take a break and try tomorrow. I've played this game for five hours straight today (can't remember the last time I did that) and I'm starting to get all tilted and salty.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Just beat Lady Butterfly and my hands are loving shaking. What an amazing goddamn fight.

I'm starting to like this Sekiro guy, I tell you what.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I was so excited to tell y’all I beat Genichiro on my first try - then the rear end in a top hat pulled out a THIRD phase.

An hour later and I haven’t gotten back to the final phase once. This is rapidly becoming un-fun.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's so fast I honestly have no idea how anyone double parries it. If it was anyone else I would say they're lying.

It's honestly MUCH easier to jump to the right

In all seriousness, turning on “Game Mode” on my TV made that fight (and really all the parrying) significantly easier. If you have any input lag, even hitting the button right when you see the spark on his sheathe won’t be fast enough.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I’m sure I was supposed to use the spear or something, but posture breaking and deathblowing Armored Warrior until he fell out the window to his death was the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a Soulsborne game.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Stokes posted:

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I really don't like this game as much as FROMs other games and a big reason is that bosses are just Ninja Guitar Hero where you either 100% or 0% the song.

I was talking to a friend who’s struggling with the game last night and literally compared Genichiro to a Rock Band song on Expert. You gotta learn that crazy tapping part or you’ll never parry those arrows!

BTW I really love that you can pause the game and change your prosthetics. Really helps me feel like I’m never tied down to just three and the hotkey is just to make selecting them less of a pain.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Pretty obvious from context he flamed out on Mr G. I’m wondering if that’s going to be the point where a lot of people throw in the towel: there’s a BIG drop in the trophy percentages between people who beat him and people who beat LB. I’m curious how the completion percent eventually stacks up compared to the Souls games.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

It's a lot harder and you can't summon helpers. Also almost as important but overlooked is that you can't BE summoned either - so there's no way to practice repeatedly against a more easily distracted version of the boss (which also conveniently powerlevels you to make the boss even easier).

I'm one of those people who always does the sunbro covenant in Souls games and spends hours helping people beat bosses, so it kind of bums me out that I can't shepherd players through some of the crazier boss fights.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

It's still a shame that there's no co-op though, I could take or leave PvP and that's coming from someone who spent a few hundred hours in the blood arena in DS2.

I just imagined what the Sekiro equivalent of dickwraithing would look like and a cold chill went down my spine.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I just love that we’re havong a serious discussion about the “right” way to play soulslikes while we all play this game about a dishonorable ninja who kills people by throwing sand in their faces, startling their horses with firecrackers, and stabbing people in the back.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, people, we're a week into this astounding game, I'd say we can loosen up on miniboss spoilertags at least for the first half of the game.

You know, for all the bitching about 'goons.txt', this forum seems way better at the game than anywhere else. Most people are posting about end-game stuff, meanwhile only 1/5th of players have even beaten Genichiro at this point, and most of the posts on the game's Reddit are still asking for tips on LB and the Bull. I don't like this thread looking like a top secret CIA document more than anyone else, but there's still a lot of people who aren't very far into this game.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Your Computer posted:

If a boss jumps away to create some space, don't let them! Don't just stand around and wait for them to make their move, corner them and make them respond to your attacks instead.

Figuring this part out was exactly what took me from not being able to get a single deathblow on Genichiro to blowing through his first phase taking next to no damage. It's worth repeating: you can NOT give bosses time or space to regain their posture.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Small gripe: some areas have so many freaking Sculptor's Idols (looking at you Ashina Castle) that it's really difficult to remember which one was closest to that NPC you met a few hours ago.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Oh, I completely forgot about the carp. Is there anything useful enough to buy with them that I should go back and farm some? I'm right at the folding monkeys for reference.

Also, do certain NPCs just stay cured from Dragonrot? I've only used one tear so far, and a ton of NPCs have gotten sick again but the Sculptor has just been trucking on completely healthy ever since. Has he just been lucky?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Augus posted:

dark souls 3 sold over 3 million copies
they seem to be doing just fine

Dark Souls 3 HAS an easy mode, though - it's called "summon two dudes to help you with all the bosses (and some of the tougher areas)."

Sekiro is a lot more like a character action, Devil May Cry/Revengeance type game than an RPG - and those games DO typically have difficulty settings.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

You know, the more I think about it the more weird it is that Sekiro DOESN'T have multiple difficulty settings. It is a single player game, after all. You could have things both ways - an easier version for lovely games journalists, and an ultra-hard mode for the true 'git gud' Souls masochists.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Quibbles about difficulty aside, game is amazing. I'm enjoying bashing my head against these bosses and I hope this is just the first game in a series. It really feels like "Sekiro 2" could sand a few rough edges off, build on these stealth systems and take it from "pretty good, not as good as Bloodborne" to "best thing FROM has ever done."

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Need to get a little direction on where to go. I re-met my friend the giant snake and found some bloody chunks that look like fruit. Then I killed the SON OF A BITCH ZOMBIE APE, seriously gently caress that fight expecting to find the path to the next area, but all there was past the fog gate was a flower.

Where do I go from here?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Bring the loot back to your little black haired friend

I did. I still need to find a "stone" and he went on a bit about a special tree behind the castle. Is that where I want to go?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I'm up to a certain village now, and one complaint I have is the number of bosses that just straight-up feel like padding. Three of the last four I've beaten Guardian Ape Mk II, Poison Snake Eyes, Glutton, O'Rin have just been "here's that boss from earlier in the game, but this time he summons a really weak add halfway through the fight!" or "here's that boss you already beat, but surrounded by MONKEYS!"

Speaking of monkeys, can you really not use the shinobi finger that makes beasts go crazy to turn the giant monkey that THE MONKEY THAT GAVE YOU THE TOOL IN THE FIRST PLACE summons the second time you fight him? That's even worse than the 'armor-stripping spear' not working against the boss with 'armored' in his name.

On the bright side, I beat O'Rin on my third try without even realizing there was a way to backstab off that first health pip. THAT was a fun fight. The other three, not so much.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i feel so left out whenever music tracks discussion comes up with from software games because if it’s a boss fight track i’ve never actually organically heard a single one during gameplay over me focusing on beating them, the sound effects from smashes and metal on metal, and listening for attack tells

Literally the only one I could identfy from the entire Souls series if you played it for me is Gwyn’s “sad piano” theme.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

This is me except I made it all the way to the end and I'm stuck on the Sword Saint. It's been multiple days and I'm not making any real progress - I haven't even seen the second and third phases of the fight.

I mean, at least I got to see the entire game (except for the ending, lol), but yeah this is probably going to be the first From game since Dark Souls I don't beat. It doesn't look like I'm alone, either - from the trophy percentages on PS4 over HALF the people who've played the game all the way through beating the next-to-last boss Divine Dragon have either given up or are still bashing their heads against the wall.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Honestly "put your TV in Game Mode" ought to be in the loading screen tips - it's way more important than seeing the mikiri counter instructions for the 100th time.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I give up.

It's been nearly a week now. A week of bashing my head against the wall. And tonight I finally managed to get to ISS's second phase.

And immediately got shot in the face with a gun. And now I can't get past Gonichumi and I have to practice until I can make it through phase one all over again.

This game has turned me into Gomichumi. I just get my poo poo pushed in again and again, no matter what I do. I cruised through the game from beating Genichiro to the final boss and either there's something wrong with this fight or there's something wrong with me. Either way, I'm just done. I'm tiring myself out and stressing myself trying to beat a loving entertainment product, and that tells me I should just unplug my Playstation for a while and go do something productive with my time for a change.

I've come to hate this game, and honestly it's kind of making me hate From a bit. I doubt I'm going to buy whatever they put out next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Can you play PS Now games on PC, or was that something I misheard? If so that might be the only way to do it - and I can't imagine it's a very good experience.