Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
well, err...at the risk of exposing myself as a complete moron, I can only select credit cards under the "payment information" tab. And entering my debit card # under any credit card type gets me a "card number invalid for card type " error.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I second the effort to organize the emoticons. Would be great if somebody starts a thread to get ideas rolling.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Useful Distraction posted:

well, err...at the risk of exposing myself as a complete moron, I can only select credit cards under the "payment information" tab. And entering my debit card # under any credit card type gets me a "card number invalid for card type " error.

My debit card is a visa in the UK :shrug:

Are you in NL/DE - you guys use country specific card things for debit, right?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Yeah I have the same issue dude.

I have to put stuff on the Visa.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

TTerrible posted:

My debit card is a visa in the UK :shrug:

Are you in NL/DE - you guys use country specific card things for debit, right?

Yeah, Germany. My bank apparently charges extra for using my card with Visa services, so right now it's useless for SA.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Yeah, Germany. My bank apparently charges extra for using my card with Visa services, so right now it's useless for SA.
Get an account with a bank that offers a Visa card for free. I know ING DiBa does and there's certainly others as well. It's not only good for internet purchases, but not being dependent on finding you bank's ATMs is a great boon as well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what if we had a twitter feed for each individual thread if we're not gonna do rss

or a twitter feed per forum

imagine searching twitter and seeing "THE FUNKOPOP MEGATHREAD started by ShittyGoon82" and a link into the forums?

i feel like this would help drive people to the forums and also be unintentionally hilarious

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I second the effort to organize the emoticons. Would be great if somebody starts a thread to get ideas rolling.

This, but $50 to delete an emoticon.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Get an account with a bank that offers a Visa card for free. I know ING DiBa does and there's certainly others as well. It's not only good for internet purchases, but not being dependent on finding you bank's ATMs is a great boon as well.
The card at ING DiBa is free, but they have a 1,75% fee for non-€-payments/withdrawals. I'd recommend DKB instead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

This, but $50 to delete an emoticon.

This sort of thing is good because it's annoying and petty and spiteful but ultimately harmless and makes money from goons with more money than sense (which it seems like there are a lot of)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lowtax should accept EBT as a form of payment

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am totally cool with $50 emoticon deletion and $50 to probate someone for 6 hours.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

10$/mo to force your sig to always appear in every forum and even for people who have sigs off

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I am totally cool with $50 emoticon deletion and $50 to probate someone for 6 hours.

Mad Wack posted:

10$/mo to force your sig to always appear in every forum and even for people who have sigs off

seconding both of these

we should make sa as pay-to-troll as possible

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Mad Wack posted:

And another $10 to block all the sigs of the people who paid $10 to force their sigs to appear. Fight donations with donations. Might mean more donations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
How about once a month a lucky goon can pay 50 bucks to set the stupid newbie/cat jail/etc avatars for everyone to the image/text of their liking?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mad Wack posted:

what if we had a twitter feed for each individual thread if we're not gonna do rss

or a twitter feed per forum

imagine searching twitter and seeing "THE FUNKOPOP MEGATHREAD started by ShittyGoon82" and a link into the forums?

i feel like this would help drive people to the forums and also be unintentionally hilarious

Also put in probe reasons
Breaking: goon probated in GBS, "No one wants to see your Grandma's nudies. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

humpthewind posted:

How about once a month a lucky goon can pay 50 bucks to set the stupid newbie/cat jail/etc avatars for everyone to the image/text of their liking?

Your presuming goons have good judgement about a number of things here.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
$50 to decide between stupid babby, toilet lord, that rapist, and trump lover.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Burt Sexual posted:

Your presuming goons have good judgement about a number of things here.

No I'm not. I'm hoping for the normal decisions to be made

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I've tried to change AVs for people three or four times. If the feature had worked every time, thats 40 bucks for the SA bank account.

Not saying I'm a high roller, but I like supporting things that make me laugh. Even if I get the probate every few weeks.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Salty Josh posted:

I've tried to change AVs for people three or four times. If the feature had worked every time, thats 40 bucks for the SA bank account.

Not saying I'm a high roller, but I like supporting things that make me laugh. Even if I get the probate every few weeks.

We should get a counter to make fun of who spends the most.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Over There posted:

We should get a counter to make fun of who spends the most.

Or get a how often someone is probated or banned counter. That would be a good idea though.

Eventually you could earn certain titles under your name like "Monopoly Man" or "Jail Bird"

"Moon Pie" for someone that gets probated once a week.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Even if you made it one week only and only in dnd, pay to probate would fund the forums

Call it liberterian week

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Have people pay to get out of probation early!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lotsa good ideas goin round

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also put in probe reasons
Breaking: goon probated in GBS, "No one wants to see your Grandma's nudies. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

This would end up causing negative attention when an IK used the bundle of sticks word in a probe reason lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Over There posted:

$50 to decide between stupid babby, toilet lord, that rapist, and trump lover.

Those are all the current newbie avatar, though.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
Why isn't the software updated?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
add esports betting with blockchains and poo poo and roll in the dolla dolla bills yall

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Truck nuts. The forums need some truck nuts.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Issy posted:

Why isn't the software updated?

Doing so would cost money Lowtax does not currently have.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This would end up causing negative attention when an IK used the bundle of sticks word in a probe reason lol

leaks indicate outrageous hate site "something awful" remains a filthy den of iniquity
what appalling acts are they hiding behind their Trumpian paywall???

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Piggy Smalls posted:

We need a way to +1 and thumbs up. Thanks.

I want to thumbs down this post, where's that button

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

has anyone tried reimplementing the forums in elixir?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Throw some phpbb on this bitch. Is that still a thing?

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Third World Reggin posted:

Even if you made it one week only and only in dnd, pay to probate would fund the forums

Call it liberterian week

This is a fantastic idea. I am in a Facebook group where you can pay to ban people, and also pay to ensure you can never be banned. It sounds stupid as gently caress but people actually pay.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

100 bucks to set a forum's background would be pretty sweet too

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I agree: a link to the Patreon account should probably be included on the Donations! page, as an option for "recurring donations" or something. I signed up for Patreon for this, and there is some weird stuff on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Here's another great thing about not being like Reddit with the nested posts vs. flat chronological. SA threads really make you dig through them to get to what you're looking for. And the digging is rewarding.

Right now you can't look up your immediate post history or get a notification if you've been quoted. But think about it. To find out if you ever got a response or a quote about something, you're going to read back through a lot of people's posts that you wouldn't normally be exposed to as you sift. If you're not sure if you'll be quoted later or not, you hit F5 and stick around for conversations you never intended to watch. Broadening horizons. I just realized this is a good thing.

Maybe that's why things are better here. Maybe it's why the mood and pace is so different. You don't just fire off a garbage comment into the void and never revisit it unless you get a push notification about it. You stay.

I hope the forums don't get modernized all the way after all.

• Locked thread