Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«43 »
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I'm not sure where to post this and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. my gf is a very experienced seamstress and I'd like to find her a book of patterns for her birthday - the kind that come on little crinkly bits of paper, if possible - but everything I can find is clearly geared for beginners. Can anyone link me to a thread where I can solicit gift ideas for someone who would not need basic tutorials of any kind, but like, would be fine with just a bunch of patterns and expert-level sewing projects? she already has fabric, machines, lots of pins and confusing bits of tape and stuff, but she often has fun with neat little patterns and vintage style dresses and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.

Clapping Larry

This might be a Terrible Idea depending on how much your gf appreciates used stuff, but if you can identify the ballpark of the vintage that your girlfriend is into (ie. 60's), you could check online or local antiquarium bookstores for old sewing magazines. When my grandma died, she left behind a ton of old magazines that came with the crinkly paper patterns, or patterns you could copy onto the crinkly paper yourself. If your local antiquarium has none, they might have a good idea where to score some, or might at least know specific names of magazines to look for. If they don't, it might be worth asking around your local cloth/yarn/handicraft store. If that doesn't work, just start sighing around grandmas, lamenting your lack of good old-fashioned sewing magazines from back in the day when things were different and see if you get lucky.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This might be a Terrible Idea depending on how much your gf appreciates used stuff, but if you can identify the ballpark of the vintage that your girlfriend is into (ie. 60's), you could check online or local antiquarium bookstores for old sewing magazines. When my grandma died, she left behind a ton of old magazines that came with the crinkly paper patterns, or patterns you could copy onto the crinkly paper yourself. If your local antiquarium has none, they might have a good idea where to score some, or might at least know specific names of magazines to look for. If they don't, it might be worth asking around your local cloth/yarn/handicraft store. If that doesn't work, just start sighing around grandmas, lamenting your lack of good old-fashioned sewing magazines from back in the day when things were different and see if you get lucky.

Thank you! Those are definitely things she would like. Unfortunately that stuff is kind of hard to find right now, since most places are closed. If you can think of anything I might be able to order online, that would be really helpful too! I will definitely see if I can find a good book on vintage fashion at least - she likes Edwardian stuff a lot

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I'm attempting to start an Etsy shop for weaving, and the SA ad I bought is probably the biggest driver of traffic, plus it got me a sale. Therefore, I have concluded more saturation/exposure is very good. Does anyone know if it's okay to advertise Etsy shops on SA-Mart? I've seen several offsite threads but nothing specifically Etsy related. (Refraining from dropping the link here, I don't want to violate forum rules plus I'm very sensitive to criticism )

In other news it's really neat to sell my hobby to people I don't know and I hope I do more of it in the future

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give

Ultra Carp

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm attempting to start an Etsy shop for weaving, and the SA ad I bought is probably the biggest driver of traffic, plus it got me a sale. Therefore, I have concluded more saturation/exposure is very good. Does anyone know if it's okay to advertise Etsy shops on SA-Mart? I've seen several offsite threads but nothing specifically Etsy related. (Refraining from dropping the link here, I don't want to violate forum rules plus I'm very sensitive to criticism )

In other news it's really neat to sell my hobby to people I don't know and I hope I do more of it in the future

I've definitely seen SA-Mart threads connected to Etsy stores! I think you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Artdome is still a thing, and the prompt is now Horse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...6#post504862670

«43 »