Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

How many Switch players are still active?

Jump in the discord, you'll get a good idea. It started as primarily Switch, but is now for all platforms.

I'm inactive now, but we had researched all but a few things in the Switch dojo when I stopped (freaking mutagen samples!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do I get myself out of the spin-to-win habit? It's so much easier than guns and abilities, but it's gotten boring.

Get some decent stances and set up some Condition Overload builds. I like polearms and they have some very nice stances, but many other weapon classes will work just as well.

CO is also less dependent on combo counter with lower startup time to big numbers. Though as usual in WF hybrid builds will eventually win out over pure status CO builds, but that's not needed for even sorties.

Edit: if you have CO, build Lesion and throw in some more statuses. Its only downside to the heavier hitting Zaw polearms and staffs is the range is much shorter. It's an easy way to see if you like the playstyle.

Lesion used to be the top tier until the zaws came out with their ridiculous damage *and* reach equal to longest in weapon class for every weapon class.

Edit 2: Orthos Prime is another beastly weapon that actually outdamages zaws in its class but also suffers a bit from shorter reach.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Those are both great weapons. Do you have the stances for them? All 3 have their pros and cons, but you'll need to use Shimmering Blight with those two. Shimmering Blight has a few multi-swings in its combos and a forced proc finisher in one (though that requires an annoying hold to activate). Those combos can do a ton of damage with the right mods equipped.

Twirling Spire has as ton of forced procs in its combos and best of all the combos are easy to select between, no holds and pauses. It will feel slow in comparison to the other two stances, but dishes out a ton of damage with the forced procs adding to the CO damage multiplier.

Guandao is a crit weapon so build for that. Orthos Prime is a hybrid crit/status weapon that'll shine more with CO.

Edit: I mean Blood Rush + combo counter builds for crit. Do you have Blood Rush? A hybrid crit/status build uses both Blood Rush/combo counter and Condition Overload.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 28, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just started playing this on Switch tonight, and I LOVE it. Is the goon clan still accepting people? IGN is RupertButtermilk, if that helps. The Discord link in the OP doesn't work anymore.

Here's a new Discord link: https://discord.gg/nQMdYCK

Invite sent, enjoy!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

No, DE hasn't repeated them yet - dunno if they ever will. They're not major story arcs, just a slide with voice over every so often during a season.

In general, special event stories don't seem to repeat in Warframe.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry for the double post.... but last night, I used a potato/catalyst on my MK1-Braton (I'm still MR1, slowly making my way across Venus), thinking 'this will allow more mods for my primary weapon slot!'.... but.... that's not true, is it? It only adds more mod capacity for that specific gun, right?

Yeah, it's only for that weapon. Starting out you're usually better off potatoing a few key weapons like the Hek at MR4 or the Atomos at MR5 since they'll last you a good long while through the starchart.

If you message support and explain the misunderstanding, they may refund you the potato. Warframe's support team is amazing, they're always worth talking to.

If you really like a weapon, potato it - it's the single largest bump in power you can add to something. As your mods go up in level, you'll need to start formaing some of those weapons to make space for them. I tend to level up mods in even units - get them all up to level 4, then level 6, then level 8, etc., with a few key exceptions that may get a bigger bump (like a level 6 Vitality or Serration is a good thing to have early). Even is good because polarized slots round up, so a level 5 and level 6 mod in a polarized slot cost the same amount of mod points.

I usually wait on Primes before potatoing frames, though there are exceptions: frames that don't have primes and vaulted frames that are expensive on the market but which are favorites of mine (Nekros for eg).

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 28, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Mk1 weapons are very low power, build the non-Mk1 variants as soon as you can. The base Braton is a nice early game rifle for eg.

You'll eventually want to level up the Mk1 weapons too for the Mastery Rank they give, but it's a lot easier to do this later in the game when you have many ways of taking a weapon from 1-30 in very little time without using them. So use some decent weapons early on if you can.

One commonly suggested progression for your primary is Braton (MR 1), Strun (MR 2), Hek (MR 4). Fully leveled, the Hek can take you into the endgame.

The Atomos at MR5 is a great secondary, maybe the first of the chaining beam weapons you can access.

Melee is very OP after this last rebalance, so use whatever you like. Having a stance mod makes a big difference to how many melee mods you can fit in and the combos you can use, so you may want to use weapons of classes you have stances for - though stances are sometimes harder to get than they should be.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You can disable pub chat from options. I disabled it on both platforms. Switch clan chat was pretty quiet from the get go, most discussion and even team up happened in the discord. There was a time when we would have 10+ people on at a time, but I guess not any more these days. I see 1-4 on a rare login.

If you like Atomos, keep an eye peeled for Amprex, Ignis Wraith and Phantasma. They're all fantastic beam weapons. They're extra useful on Switch where controller aiming is harder than mouse. I used the Amprex a lot on Switch including well into endgame content like arbies or that one hour Kuva Survival.

Fulmin at MR8 is another monster weapon, along with Arca Plasmor at MR10. Both of them fire a wide pellet that is more forgiving of your aim.

I've been using Fulmin heavily in my PC playthrough because it has two fire modes, both of which can be useful in the same mission. I dumped 3 forma into it as soon as I could build it. No regrets.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you're wondering about how to build your primaries and secondaries, look up Leyzar's YouTube channel. He goes over individual weapons and makes builds that use common mods. He goes over the basics in each video so you can learn a lot about how to mod for yourself by watching a few of them.

Sapmatic is another very good YouTube channel, especially recommended for when you start doing Eidolons or Profit-Taker. But definitely more advanced, mid and late game advice than Leyzar.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The goon gaming Discord has a few active Switch players on the Warframe channel. Good place to look for squads, help on missions, or mods and parts: https://discord.gg/nQMdYCK

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jackal spoilers: shoot two legs until it collapses, then go to town.

As you will soon come to know, this game has some very bad boss design in that it's all very easy once you know what the gimmick is but the gimmick is almost always poorly communicated, telegraphed and implemented. So don't get frustrated if you can't figure out a fight, just go to the wiki or youtube.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nope, mods can be reused without taking them off from other weapons first. The exception is if your trying to use the same copy of a mod on a weapon for you and your sentinel, then the game will warn you and show the mood as blacked out in one of the two weapons.

The reasoning seems to be that you carry only one at a time with you. So sharing the same mod across all your rifles is ok, you can only take one rifle with you ... Unless you also take a sentinel with a rifle weapon.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I am extremely tempted to buy online for switch to play with y’all but I don’t really want to start from scratch when I’m MR 24 on Xbox. I’m still hoping when the next console generation comes out they show mercy and let me transfer to PC. :(

I restarted on PC and it's been fun to work my way up again. The first endo and mod starved period was quite a shock though.

The goon gaming Discord had a quote from one of Steve's streams that went: "CrossSave is not coming with Empyrean, but it is something that we are working on." I read that as making it more likely than I had thought.

Wonder if they'll allow merging accounts if CrossSave becomes reality.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Met posted:

I made the mistake of creating a lich as soon as that system went live on PS4 and then got none of the parazon mods I needed to kill it. Now I have a level 5 dude stealing void traces everywhere and trying to farm the mods I need is extremely tedious and annoying. Definitely should have built up a set of all 8 mods before I created the first lich.

I wasn't paying attention on Lua and created a Lich by mistake - the game gave ample warning, I was just not present - and now the thing is an annoyance that won't go away.

They said they'll do some more tweaks after New War/Empyrean is out so I'm going to wait on that. The current relics/traces/uncommon relic drops grind is too high for me.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

whocares8310 posted:

Hey all. I noticed the Nintendo switch discord invite has expired. In game name whocares831

I'll check the other discords for links I suppose. Thanks for being such a good community on PC can't wait to play this one on switch

The link I posted a couple pages back should be non expirable: https://discord.gg/nQMdYCK

If not, will generate another when I'm back home.

E: Yeah, that's a non-expiring link and will work for you. @Bobby Deluxe, would you please update the link in the OP with it?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 21, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

rgocs posted:

I need to get better at fast aiming (switch). Tried a Cetus bounty and got constantly harassed by multiple Dargyns (?) that I couldn't hit with my Burston as they flew overhead over and over like annoying mosquitoes. Still only MR2, so it's also likely I don't know what I'm doing.

You're better off not doing the plains until you're much higher MR, like 6-7. Focus on opening up planets and doing quests right now.

Grind frames from bosses as you run into them - anything that drops a frame part can be ground until you have all three then buy the main blueprint from the market. Frames take 3.5 days to build and are going to be your biggest bottleneck to raising MR early on.

At MR 4 you can build the Hek shotgun, the first really damaging ranged weapon to going to get. (Yes, it's got low spread at intermediate ranges even though it's a shotgun.)

Build the Atomos at MR 5. Very strong secondary.

E: The Burston isn't very good. Some pre-Hek primaries that are better are: Braton (MR 0), Strun (1), Boltor (2), Vectis (2). The Lex is a decent pistol at MR 3, but the Hek and Atomos are going to be big jumps at MR 4&5. ASk in the discord for base mods you need, someone may be able to help you out.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 6, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

rgocs posted:

Oh, yes, the Braton is the one I have.

These are great tips, thanks. Missions do indeed feel way easier.

I have only just got one part for a Rhino frame from the Jackal, I will go back and farm him for the other parts. I have maxed my starter frame so I guess I need a new one ASAP to gain MR? So far I have maxed my starter blade and have now switched to level a staff.

Yeah, you're not gaining any affinity (xp) MR from maxed out frames and weapons. Worse, that affinity is lost. Check the wiki article on affinity, it's worth having an idea of how it's handled. Will also show you why it's so important to stay in affinity range of your teammates if you're trying to level up.

Rhino needs mats to build that you cannot get by yourself till Ceres, which isn't that far out. Or ask in clan for a farm since those mats are common later on.

If you have the Mk1-Braton or any of the other Mk1 weapons, just swap to other weapons as soon as you have better ones. The Mk1s are very weak and are only good for getting more MR. You can max them out later when you're farming affinity in more efficient ways.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

I’ve kind of assumed the quests would slowly help me unlock the map, getting started isn’t near less as dauntless as I thought it’d be with the quest system being what it is, tbh.

It's both: quests drive you forward through planets and in some cases unlocking junctions for new planets gives you new quests.

Just keep moving forward through the star map at whatever pace makes you happy. Later planets make it easier to farm some of the resources you'll need to build new warframes, which is a another motivation to move forward.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Guilty posted:

Anyone on the switch got a spare augur secrets? Been trying to farm the bounty for three days now, still can't seem to get one.

Also looking for elec 60/60 mods if anyone has any.

You'll have better luck asking on the discord, more Switch players there. If no luck from the active players, I can dust off the Switch and look.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Guilty posted:

Can we get an updated link to the switch discord?

https://discord.gg/nQMdYCK

It's under Generally Bad Games.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Anybody on switch have a Gram Prime handle they'd be willing to let me have, or have some of the vaulted relics with the handle and be willing to go cracking with me? I have one relic with the handle.

I have one you're welcome to have. Not playing on Switch anymore so let me know when you'll be on.

Sorry for the slow response, the Switch didn't boot for a day after I saw your post. Thought it had died from neglect, but eventually revived itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Be right there!

E: goon clan? What's your in-game - I'm v1ld there too.

E: Couldn't find you in-game. Probably easier if you let me know when you'll be on and we can sync up.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 25, 2020