Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The new weapon I'm actually, weirdly, excited for is the Falcor. I only just discovered that you can have your secondary and a glaive out at the same time, so now I'm excitedly trying to get one to play around with. Its cooking in the Energy lab now. I've got my all-but-Jolt-nearly-100% Status Mara Detron I want to pair with a condition overload Falcor. I've just hit MR13 also so I've got Pyrana Prime and Akbolto Prime cooking too.

You can only pair the glaive weapon with one handed secondaries, won't be able to combo the glaives with the akjagara and I don't think you can do it with pyrana p either. Still a very strong combo though. This mechanic is about to be expanded to more melee weapons than just glaives, melee 3.0 is suppose to bring the mechanic of comboing any single handed secondary with any single handed melee weapon. If you can build a Zakti or some high status rapid fire single handed secondary those will also combo very well with a condition overload build. I really like using the Zakti with Mag and some condition overload weapon, tossing off 100% status mara detron shots or a couple of zakti darts into that magnetize bubble is strong as hell.

Also of note, you can toss out the Falcor then hit your melee button again while it's flying around to cause it to explode and return to you after the next bounce. It's got decent aoe too, I've had a good time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Alright, thanks. Strafing is what I’ve been doing for the most part. Do you recommend turning down the sensitivity on look/aim or movement? That was the other thing that was jarring to me.

The amount of things to learn can be a little overwhelming but I feel like I’m doing ok. It’s a little frustrating getting blueprints and not having the necessary materials, and then having to figure out where to get them. But I’ve opened up Venus and Mars, managed to somehow get a little floating companion that shoots things and boosts my shield, etc. And I’ve seen some higher level players that can do really cool things, which I’m looking forward to.

Turning down the sensitivity is recommended as probably the first thing you do on basically every platform. I think iFlynn is doing fresh 'new player info' series of videos on his youtube and in one of them he immediately turns the sensitivity down from the default 50 to 8. So definitely play around with that until you get something you like, you'll still want to be able to turn around quickly but you don't need a sensitivity that activates max motion blur on every small turn.

The amount of systems and things to comprehend in this game is large. The list of unique/important nouns alone is probably pretty stupid. But it's kind of one of those things where as soon as you understand how various things work you kind of go 'well of course they work that way, anything else would really not make sense.' As far as gathering materials go, you can get clanmates or random players to taxi you to nodes and planets that you do not have access to yet, allowing them to bring a nekros to some place that drops neurodes, or take you to a boss that is highly likely to drop them. That little floating companion, Taxon, is a really good first sentinel to have and later on it's super weakass cold laser can have it's 'always procs a cold status on hit' mechanic exploited with Condition Overload to make having a Taxon a large single target damage buff. But hey, that's something to worry about later.

CyberGeist posted:

Been playing off and on for five years jumping between PC/PS4 and now Switch and just finished the quest.

Man, I kinda knew what to expect but even then, this just blew me away with how it presented itself and the storyline (which to be fair, I was NOT paying too much attention to before).

Now I'm kinda afraid to even wiki anything because I don't want to ruin other mission based stories just biased on how good this one was.

If you're interested you could safely wiki past events that aren't currently available, that will shed a little bit of light on even The Second Dream much less some of Warframe's cooler enemies. As for stuff in game, avoid reading about Chains of Harrow, Octavia's Anthem, War Within, and The Sacrifice. The Second Dream was my favorite quest both from a story and playthrough point of view, but the rest are still neat.

Mesadoram posted:

You are me both. Gotta say, I never played a game that had a character creator 40 loving hours in (<--- legit Second Dream spoiler). Now I really want to see what weird directions this story is going to go now.

I feel like I say this about a lot of frames, but I can't get the hang of Nyx. She doesn't really seem to do anything like super special besides the chaos ability. It can take heat off my allies, but the key word there is can.

Oh buddy we are going places. If you've done War Within and Sacrifice, there is a trailer out there for The New War.

Nyx without the recent update is honestly pretty bad. Chaos can still save a party's rear end when all the warcrime frames or even other CC frames somehow fail, I've definitely had sortie and the rare challenging alert missions completely saved by a Nyx's Chaos. But without the update that's all she has really, Mind Control is bad and Psychic Bolts is garbage and too many frames have better versions of Absorb. But after the update Mind Control is pretty alright if you can dump a ton of damage on a single target in a few seconds. Psychic Bolts becomes a very very powerful debuff skill, you can strip all armor and turn off eximus and ancient buffs with the same skill. Absorb is better but still not fantastic.

mentalcontempt posted:

Not at Lua yet, so I’ll try the other suggestions. Kind of frustrating to have things gated behind this specific resource since it’s a pain in the rear end to get.

I guess I already addressed this but you can get clan mates to taxi you to missions you don't have access to yet, so they can take you to a planet or boss fight that is very likely to drop some neurodes or whatever you're looking for.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

I am really digging the Dark Split Sword but I feel like my mods can use some min-maxing. This is what I am using now. Any suggestions? On my Saryn it seems to be melting people, but that could just be because of Saryn...

I've a little bit more broad of an answer here.

What you're doing in this set up is stacking elemental damage and status chance. You've got blood rush and berserker in there to prop up crit chance and attack speed with the weapons' 25% base crit and that's a good choice, but you don't have a crit damage mod on to really sync up with that bonus crit chance. You aren't running Condition Overload (which is a mod with real dumb math giving you lots of bonus damage per every different status proc on an enemy) so you're mostly dealing with elemental damage that frequently crits for a little bit and procs gas, magnetic, or radiation status on enemies almost 60% of the time. You've also got Drifting Contact which is great, that combo duration extension is huge and the bonus status chance is always welcome.

One big draw back is that the weapon can't do slash procs, which pair really well with gas and viral. You also have an equal amount of magnetic damage on there and magnetic is kind of the worst damage type right now. It's good against shields and pretty bad against most everything else, and slash and toxin/gas procs just go through shields ignoring them entirely. If you instead buffed out the radiation or gas damage, or converted to corrosive damage, you'd be doing more damage through that alone, just do to enemy armor types and the shields/health thing. You could also replace one of those 60/60 mods with a pure 90% elemental damage mod and probably still be procing statuses left and right. You could drop another one, still have a combo'd element type and radiation, and slot in a crit damage mod to really make use of that Blood Rush mod. Really just toss in a crit damage mod and then probably reach, but you could also do more damage, fury for attack speed, condition overload or life strike once you get those, kind of your choice here really.

Basically, drop magnetic and toss some crit in there. Then you can do some nice damage with gas, corrosive, or radiation damage setups.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

IMO there are two ways that a stance can be good.

The most obvious is 'is it good or fun to use.' Do you like how that stuff feels? It's probably fine.

The other is the technical side. If you look at the wiki pages for stances you'll see that each one has different damage and status proc multipliers on them. Some hits in certain combos will just force a 300% damage slash proc because thats what the combo says happens. Others will have impact procs pepped all over the place for constant knockdowns.

Find one that does well by both of these standards and you've got yourself a keeper. Though honestly the first is usually good enough for me.

Since the darksplit sword was mentioned recently, i'm not actually sure if a weapon that can't do slash damage, for example, can proc that status at all. Maybe maybe not.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

kecske posted:

have added you, thanks!

I've started to feel more aware of the freemium aspect of the game, mostly from the way they drop a blueprint for something cool on you as a mission reward but unless you want to drop plat for materials from the market then good luck getting hold of them any time soon! I'm still waiting to be able to farm plastids as a planetary resource before I can finish a Rhino. A guy told me they sometimes appear as bounty rewards from plains activities but I keep forgetting to check.

Bounty rewards are one place you could look, you can probably do the fist two bounties in cetus or fortuna even by yourself and you can almost certainly get carried through the others. Also you can have friends, clanmates, or random pubs taxi you to locations that drop the materials you need even if you don't have that area unlocked yet.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There are also plenty of weapons out there that make getting head shots somewhat trivial. The very powerful arca plasmor and catchmoon kitgun come to mind. And like Darth Walrus points out Harrow is really good at making everyone stand still far more than long enough to aim for headshots with a controller if you really want to. Harrow doesn't need headshots, he just really likes them.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

If it's a refresh thing, the parry window in Sekiro is large.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Typically speaking Cetus and Fortuna quests and bounties are note exactly new player friendly, especially compared to how early you gain access to them.

If the Corpus right out the gates are shredding you then ya maybe expand through the star chart a little more, do a quest or two, and spend some endo on upgrading some of your defensive mods. The mob of Corpus in that quest is suppose to be thematically pissed. If you can plant the bomb while doing nothing but rolling and bullet jumping you might be alright but again if you're just starting out, well, the Corpus don't have hitscan weapons but they do hit a little harder than the Grineer on average.

Don't worry about putting that off for later though, the main thing you get from that introduction quest is a K-Drive. Largely useful for running around on the plains and orb valis if you don't have a nice archwing built up. And at the point you're at you may or may not already have that? You get access to some other fortuna stuff for completing it but a large portion of that stuff is mid or late game tier equipment, you have better things to spend resources on when starting out than moa parts.

You won't be missing out on much of anything by delaying that quest for now. But if you can take on Uranus or Neptune you should probably be more than fine.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

If it's Lua rescue, or one of the several rescue missions where you end up having multiple doors or consoles to havk open, you don't have to hack every console and enter each portal, or try to hack open every chamber.

You can always hear the rescue target yell 'in here tenno!' when you're either right next to the pod or door that they're behind, or if it's lua you hear it as soon as the right portal opens.

not having to check inside every room or through every portal saves a ton of time and imo is the only way to do lua sortie rescue unless you're very quick. also for lua rescue, dont hack open the big door inside the vault, just do a 180 from that door, jump down the crack in the wall, jump over some lasers and hop into the jail portal room way faster than waiting for those doors to open.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: is it dumb that I, for right now, prefer to play alone? I know the game is online only, but I was in a mission with others and it just got all weird, the mission ended early, and I got no rewards. That hasn't happened yet while I'm doing solo stuff.

I don't really know what happened there unless the mission failed.

It's fine to play solo for a while. You'll be able to handle it, learn enemies, and learn tile sets. Just know that you can be very very mobile in this game with bullet jumping and double jump rolling, hard swapping directions in mid air, etc. Playing with other will let you see how they move and how fast you can barrel through a mission. Sometimes thats what everyone is going to be doing because you're all trying to complete a mission three times for an invasion, for example. Other times people will simply kill things so fast that you'll need to catch up or want to jump ahead. It's good to know how to gofast. But playing solo is still fine, there's a lot to learn and some of it comes in the form of simply getting familiar with the layout of things.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

And your frame colors, and your companion colors, and your accessories' colors, and your syandana's colors, and your ship's colors, and [spoilers go here]

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You're already doing it right.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

For the most part you don't trade fully built weapons, you trade blueprints you found in relics. There are also syndicate weapons that aretraded fully built, but you can't have gained any affinity with them at all if you want to sell them, gotta be fresh.

people trade mods and other items like ayatan statues, higher end stuff like arcanes and the few materials you can trade.

Ranking up gear is an easier thing to sharply focus on later when you have access to Hydron on Sedna, or The Sanctuary after The New Strange (I think) and elite sactuary after War Within.

Otherwise just have it with you and use it a tiny bit and it will slowly level. I'd recommend just passively having it on you while doing endless missions for resources or while running various relic missions. Later on you'll have real good options for power leveling stuff, for now defensed and survivals are your best friends. Or spy missions if you really like those, openning vaults gives a but of bonus affinity.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

iirc you almost never esnt to use hammer shot because another elemental damage mod almost always turns out better. hunter munitions can be silly good on fast firing crit weapons though.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Empyrean is generally good on Earth, but extremely poorly balanced at the backend. So if you’re very casual it’s a good experience and if you play it to completion it’s awful. They made a bunch of bad decisions - enemies are overtuned, the new damage types suck, all archwing weapons are projectile now, and only the Amesha is viable - as well as the railjack itself having weird balance. Your ship has poor health and damage with the very best upgrades in the later zones, and it’s literally more economical in the final area to hide your ship and fight in archwing than to try and use the railjack due to its poor health values.

This is the word right now but I don't agree with it at all. Your railjack has fine health and damage when you finally kit it out, veil missions are not a problem for my set up and i don't even have good battle avionic, just cryophon and carcinnox guns and some maxed intrinsic mods. Amesha being the only viable aw, the enemies being a bit overtuned (in particular their healing field thing is a little nuts and a little broken right now), and it being easier to get to a point where your Amesha can handle all the content taking a lot less time and effort (and luck) than kitting out a railjack, those things are all true imo. But the ship itself can get geared up enough that taking out fighters and crewships is not a slog.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I think as long as you have access to your railjack menu then you pretty much can't screw yourself by tagging along on other people's jacks.

The thing I feel I miss out on most by not piloting my own jack is the fear that pilots simply won't go pick up whatever loot dropped, in which case no one is getting whatever that drop was.

If you wanted to you could just tag along with others until you pick up some MKIII gear, like a reactor and a gun or two.

People still like to have one person out in AW for Amesha slows either way, so you're still probably going to have pilot, gunner/boarder, mechanic/boarder crew members.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've seen a lot of talk about Grendel being really bad, and for sure he could use some work, but on a couple of occasions I've seen a Grendel roll through a level and eat everything before any dps could get started.

Played half way well, and with a good mod layout, all frames are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

We didn't hear anything about it from the last dev stream, if you've still got stuff you want to build that requires nitain then that's a solid purchase.