Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i have some weird hoarding mentality when it comes to hoarding console games, like I am paranoid there will be a situation where i need every tales game since hearing in 1996 that the unreleased Tales of Phantasia for the SFC/SNES was supposedly a good game. so now I have to buy and store every Tales game, despite me hearing nothing but bad things about them, because i already got the first one. also I have never even played the SNES one yet and still feel this way. i similarly do this with all Harvest Moon games because when the SNES one came out i bought it thinking it would be the type of game i might like. I literally never played it to find out and yet i find the need to have every harvest moon game.

i think it stems from my mentality of "what will I do if in 45 years i want to play this and it's not available?". i think i can confirm my suspicion when i bought TWO sega saturn modchips (they were expensive in 2012; like $60 each) because i had it in my head that if a burglar ever stole my saturn in the year 2037 i wouldn't be able to find a Saturn mod chip and I'd be screwed. keep in mind I have never even really played the saturn; just messed with some games here and there. i pretty much only play zelda, mario kart and smash bros and that's it. i bought skyrim for the switch the day it came out and never even put the cart into my system

i think if I were born 30 years earlier i would have been killed by a stack of old newspapers and VHS tapes crushing me in my sleep by now

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

A kid called me a devil worshiper in fifth grade because I brought the ultima 8 strategy guide to school. Had a pentagram on the front

i had classmates ask me if i was a devil worshipper more than once throughout 1995 for wearing an Onyx (the rap group) t shirt because their song at the time had the line "the devil's inside of me and makes me rob from my own nationality" lol

peeps legit thought devil worshipping was a real religion gaining traction back then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I played and enjoyed Killing Floor 1

don't let the name fool you, it's not really a floor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered this one

For my birthday when I was like 6 I was begging on my hands and knees for Castlevania: The Adventure for the Game Boy. My dad was hyping me up every time I asked him if he got it for me and he'd say stuff like "well you never know what you're gonna get! :3: " and other ominous poo poo

The day of my birthday comes and I see my gift wrapped and I even said "this looks way too big to be a Gameboy game" and he said "maybe it's a surprise". Hours later I finally get to open it up and...it's a game boy carrying case. It was a lovely generic black one that was a 12" square and had that lame foaming inside

I was so loving disappointed and even mad internally but I was socially aware enough to make believe it was a great gift and I thanked him profusely for it

To this day I have no idea why he was loving with me or why he wouldn't spend ten extra bucks on me to get me the actual game. The only thing I can think of was that he actually thought that was a better gift than the game lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also he worked wacky hours and would always stop at the video store to rent us games and one day he came home with Adventure Island and I jumped up and down like I was excited even though I already had the game :) I really have no idea if lying to spare people's feelings is a common trait in a six year old but I had it for some reason

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

That reminds me of when I really wanted an NES and my grandmother gave me a christmas gift that was a big heavy box and confirmed it was game related. I finally got to open it and after the first layer of wrapping paper there was a note inside saying "YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!!!!" -- well, I finished unwrapping it and it was some special edition of the CD-ROM version of Oregon Trail that came in a big wooden box, and I didn't even have a CD-ROM drive on my computer, so yes grandma I was surprised.

Haha I couldn't imagine trusting grandparents to get a console game, let alone a pc one. "hmm why yes I do think his PC has dos 6.2 and 24mb of ram now that you mention it"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say this is a secret gaming demon because it's embarrassing enough I'd never tell anyone irl about it plus it's sort of a nightmare so that counts as a demon

I regularly (as in, at least twice a month) have a dream where I find some rundown store in some shithole part of the country and because it's in a pretty unpopular area filled with old people, they still have brand new copies of old games. Like in the dream I go into the video game section of the store and yeah they have ps4 stuff but under tons of dust they still have sealed nes games and snes consoles. I always climb up one of the shelves and there's an entire box of brand new snes consoles never opened. Oh and the prices are like $2 because they've been sitting there for years and no one buys them

I always get in a bad mood from it when I wake up and for a few hours I have a deep seething desire to buy a sealed nes game or new in the box Game Boy red play it now colored system on ebay.

trying to jack off posted:

tdm is always good and thank god bethesda made every other game mode worse so more people play it now

Your secret gaming demon is that you use Microsoft Edge lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I had a dream a few weeks ago where I discovered another basement under my basement (just bought a house a few months ago) that showed a serial killer used to live there and there was like dental torture equipment and other hosed up stuff, but also a room full of CIB retro games and consoles and also a Neo Geo cabinet.

Congratulations on the new house. By the way for probably five years after I bought my house I had dreams of discovering new hidden parts of my house. Like "holy poo poo, there's an entire room I just found by accident, I'm gonna make it an arcade room" and that was another aggravating dream to wake up from. You can count on having a LOT of dreams about finding new rooms and even floors in your house for years to come.

It probably has something to do with paranoia that the new house isn't big enough even if it is. And of course we just mix video games in with it sometimes lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

stores in your dreams are so epic, such a bummer to wake up from. my last one i found an enormous black art book fillied with yoshitake amano-ish ink drawings of nudes that i was clutching throughout the dream cuz i needed it so bad. rip

when u see those nudes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nickelodeon Super Toy Run was sort of this

This is a secret gaming demon of my friend but when we were in the second grade he opened up a box of Ellio's frozen pizza and actually had a winning box for a nickelodeon super toy run. His mom filled out the box cut out and mailed it off and they never heard anything about it again

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

the time i canceled a recurring payment in a vivid dream and then had to try to talk around it months later when i was trying to get my money back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

haha the healthy pair of C’s has followed me from dream to dream my entire life. i can never truly escape

i just realized it was an Amano book (I never knew his first name) and that's even more hilarious. i thought it was an actual guy who was known for drawing stuff like that or something lol

maybe he has a Patreon :raise:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 18, 2018