Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #5: Giver is a Hammer Bro

The class day was so long, it took us a week to finish it.

Sometimes the time flies, other times it feels like someone put a gun to the head of a clock and said "You'd better slow the gently caress down".

I guess Dad drives to work, because if the MetroLine is opening today, then Dad had to get to work somehow. We never see Dad driving or otherwise using a car, though.

I like to imagine he just has a teleporter for private use.

"Pretty good"? B O I

This NPC is really stupid.

Well, that's just par for the course. Competency is the exception, otherwise Lan would be doing a lot less work.

But in order to tell us, she wants 3 Invis I for a lovely Shotgun K. In the original game you can get Shotgun K in a few different places, so this is laughable. What a crap trade.

...Yes, I'll complete once I've grinded some.

Again, par for the course... At least in later games the NPCs only ask for one-to-one trades, because 3 Invis1 I take a lot longer to grab. Though they are renewable.

I'll take it. That's a virus drop, so it's basically infinite.

Repair(BN1): A G H K S
Repair(OSS): A G H S *

Leave me alone. We shouldn't get homework after the day we had. PLEASE.

Nah, the WWW's video reminded kids how important doing daily tasks is. Do your homework, take over the world, eat your veggies. Y'know, routine things.

Fun fact: Dr.Hikari(Tadashi, not Yuichiro) was 45 years old!

45 is ancient! At least, to kids this age.

We finally get to see this map. Too bad it was removed in later games. We can simply jack into the car over there...

Twistys and Mettaur2s are in here. It's hard to find this virus anywhere else, but that just could be my faulty memory.

A-codeeeeee

Remobit(BN1): A C F N O
Remobit(OSS): A C N O *

A code superiority. At least until later, when B code takes over.

No, Twisty doesn't drop his chip in asterisk.

The chip summons an object that calls another enemy instance that slowly destroys the enemy panels, in execution. The chip isn't terrible? Too bad nothing in this game truly takes advantage of it. Not to mention the object you put down can be destroyed easily.

I think they were just trying things without really thinking about how they'd interact with the environment. Which I can admire, at least they tried something instead of just rebooting the MegaMan franchise.

Score.

This is the first time this trader NPC is available. It's not a big deal if you don't have this now, you can find them easily in the next Net area.

:wth: GIVE THIS RIGHT NOW

That's 100 damage down an entire row. S-RANKS BABY

It's also REALLY REALLY FAST because DynaWave is from a Level 3 virus. Seriously, the Level 2 enemies are still optional.

So if you remember, StoneMan is obstructing our progress, but we need to talk to this man to continue the plot.

I always forget that StoneMan is this early in the game. Probably because the NumberMan scenario comes and goes almost immediately.

And Dex's poo poo is blocking us from going to other web pages. gently caress off, Dex. I don't want to register an account to download links.

Just use a fake email account every time you need to download something. There are generators.

Well, I got it 2 updates ago in preparation. You need to give one up to even fight him, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pkpMAvvPw0

1: Choose Hammer
2: Press A
3: Win

4: ???

wait i think we got the order wrong

You don't deal damage, Dex. No wonder you can't win.

Dex, you have to hit MegaMan in order to win.

Fate says you will always suck as a boss.

Too bad we inputted a super secret code for the asterisk variant.

: Piece of poo poo cheatin' rear end.

At least Dex is an honorable loser. I imagine that there are no shortage of people in this world that would just flip you off and walk away.

Time to fight FireManV2. There will be quite a few videos in this update.

Finding Navi Ghosts is always worthwhile since now they start wandering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KwTM2tctXc

Hammer(BN1): A F I M Q
Hammer(OSS): A F I M *

Yes, there's a Hammer asterisk. No, it doesn't drop anywhere. To the Chip trader! ...Eventually.

FireMan's V1 chip got an extra 10 points in damage. It now deals 110. Um, sure?

A... weird choice.

Getting one.

Moving onto Internet 2. New viruses, new rewards. Let's do our usual analysis.

GREEN MYSTERY DATA, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN!

Not a bad step up from 1000 Zenny.

Well, there's your free Program Advance.

I'd like to point out that whenever I do this, it's always the non-fixed rewards. You'll know the difference between regular Internet fixed(meaning one time) and non-fixed rewards when I actually get to a fixed one. So far we've only seen fixed rewards from dungeons.

Right now, the GMD Zenny rewards are a little more valuable than the chips, though hopefully that'll change.

Swordys here. Free S-rank. FREEBIE. Also, Jesus, that loving map.

It looks absolutely horrible. But, at the very least, I'm glad it exists.

And wow, already throwing Swordy2s at us, huh.

This game does not do gradual escalation very well.

FireSword now deals 120 damage instead of 100. I'll take it.

Internet 2 leads to both Internet Areas 3 and 4. Miyu's leads to Internet Area 4, so we'll need to come back later.

Mineys and VolGears, too. Yeah, definitely make sure you pick up a FireTower F for that DynaWave. It's worth it.

Or this, instead. :psyduck: drat. I just love these new drops.

Remember, they made the best chip reward drop starting at Level 8 instead of 9. So I just got really lucky.

Playing through the original game is reminding me exactly how nice the asterisk code is, and how much I wish it existed.

Ah, hardheads. Despite their inclusion, there's nothing that can actually break their shields, so. You just gotta wait and use a strong chip. It's not really possible for me to S-rank these currently without some really lucky setups.

The translators localized the name from Howitzer to CannonBall for later-game consistency.

....Holy poo poo.

It got a sizable buff, from 150 to 200. Man, this thing hits really hard on stationary bosses like NumberMan and StoneMan. Christ.

"Hey here's all this awesome ranged stuff, make sure it's good and in your folder" says the game with a knowing wink.

:tviv:

Mine1(BN1): G H M N P
Mine1(OSS): G H M N *

God drat. You know what? Keep up with these chip buffs and I'll defend you from all the haters, game.

For all the laziness of this port, they did make a few nice changes. Increasing power is one of them.

It's time for GOKGOK. The enemy of YOPYOP

YOPYOP rides again

That's a riveting language you got there. What're the grammar rules?

Clearly it's a tonal language.

Gokgokgok!

(Part of him looks like a stapler. SSSSH)

And just like that, we're done with the StoneMan 'scenario'. We're just blowing through them thanks to not needing to explore too much, and the plot really isn't the focus here, but these things were short even before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmjX4MUl9F8

StoneMan doesn't flinch unless you deal 100 or more damage in a single blow. So pile on your throwing chips. Hell, you get CannonBall in the same area which does 1/3 of his total HP.

MegaMan proceeds to PEW-PEW the rocks.

I'm not sure how destroying virtual rocks eliminates a real landslide, unless the time it took to destroy StoneMan meant that the tracks were cleared.

I fought so many viruses that I bought this afterwards. We're now at 280 max HP.

Oh, this dude. I forgot.

In the original game, this was Recov80 G. Another change. Prof, mark it down.

Recov80(BN1): A C E G L
Recov80(OSS): C E L N *

Do good deeds for the elderly, get rewarded. And they say video games don't teach kids anything.

We're so close to busting this game even more open. :getin:

Your eyes are closed, shut up.

Well that's why she's asking, Giver.

Gimme your access links! :argh:

But we're only 10.

I used to like Sal as a character, but gods drat if her BN4 counterpart hasn't destroyed any fondness I felt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAuOu78xkpY

Not even using any fire chips, and do you know why?

Hammer is busted, is what we're saying here.

Also, OSS introduced a new glitch with this boss. Take a look at this:

The developers created a new glitch, but did not fix it. Luckily, the translators did. Lazy developer fucks. 'Don't worry about fixing it! It'll be fine'!

Ahahahahahaha.

This is basically everything we need to snap the game in half.

Before that...let's check out some hidden viruses.

loving Poppers. The problem with these things is that they only come down one at a time when they're more than one of them. This means it's impossible to get an S-rank in such cases. I'm glad the S-rank drop happens more frequently at lower levels, but I think they should have addressed cases like these. Keep in mind that Poppers are invincible when they're in the air.

One of the worst viruses right here. They are actively refusing to engage with the game mechanics :argh:

Oh, this just won't do.

MUCH better.

WoodTower(BN1): B C H K N
WoodTower(OSS): B C K N *

Ohhhhh boy. FireTower and WoodTower :getin:

Poitton's. These things are strong since their attacks are quite deadly. They actually count as Wood-elemental, and guess what I just drew.

Score. I'll be back for the s-rank reward, eventually.

Cloudy2. And we haven't even seen the first one yet. What you're seeing now is a small taste of what we're about to do.

The Lunch Stand Comp is really something I always avoided as a kid, mainly because I was bad at video games back then and routinely got my rear end handed to me.

Cloudier(BN1): A D I M P
Cloudier(OSS): A I M P *

MedCloud has been considerably buffed from the original game. (And localized from Cloudier to BN2's MedCloud).

Instead of doing 50, it does 80. Since it multihits, it has enough time for up to 240 damage if it hits something in the middle square.

Another nice boost. I wonder why they made all these changes.

Just for her HP when we find it.

Recov120(BN1): A C E G L
Recov120(OSS): F H L R *

This is almost half of your HP total right now.

Back to Internet Area 2, we can go to Internet Area 3 with Sal's links.

And that's it for this update. It's shorter than my usual, but that's our next one will be pretty long. ...I think you all know what's coming.

We're gonna go exploring. And by exploring, I mean severe sequence-breaking.

-------------------

I broke it.

god drat it do you have to break everything you touch

giver336 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In this update: everyone gets hammered. Everyone.

Also the number changes are likely there because they were extremely easy to implement and even Capcom thought they needed to at least slightly justify this. They failed, and they didn't even really try, but...you know...it's something...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I love a good sequence break. :allears:

I don't remember the other MMBN games giving you this much power this early on. The bosses are just melting!

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Solumin posted:

I love a good sequence break. :allears:

I don't remember the other MMBN games giving you this much power this early on. The bosses are just melting!

I kinda would have liked the boss's HP to be tweaked a bit to compensate for the power increase. Just so I have something of a punching bag.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
drat, didn't think I'd see another MMBN or SF LP on here. Just when I was worried I'd be out of interesting LPs to follow.

Kinda sad this game never got localized, but after seeing how little really changed... yeah, totally get why. I don't even think I ever beat BN1 when I eventually did get my hands on it since I started the series with BN2... I know I got stuck somewhere after the Power Plant but I cannot remember where.

Also jumping on the Star Force 4 train, because even if SF3 was a great end point I still want more.

Magnus Ragnar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 7, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot StoneMan was even in this game

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

rannum posted:

I forgot StoneMan was even in this game

His role looks like it was written for a HeelNavi, not a named boss.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress his map though. I still get lost in that poo poo.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Man, I remember StoneMan.EXE from the NT Warrior anime was super intimidating and a major boss for the N1 Grand Prix arc. Kind of sad to see him :flaccid: here...

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Oh poo poo, a new MMBN thread! Glad I caught this one - if youtube hadn't linked me Giver's Stoneman fight, I wouldn't have known this existed. :v:
Glad to see this series back on the forums, the BN3 one was a blast.

giver336 posted:

Mayl's is the second worst of the new ones, for me. Though, I will compliment it by saying it conveys the young girl look they were going for.

Bwah! That's... That's a mugshot, yikes. She does look a lot younger, yes.
Mayl looks adorable and I will hear no slander against her. :colbert:

quote:

*Giver grinding 30,000 zenny for the sake of battlechips*
Never change, Giver. Never change.
:cheers:

Update 3 posted:

First dungeon in the series. But, in terms of a Hero's Journey, this one is more incidental, so it isn't playing the title theme. That brings up another point of contention: the music. Instead of re-composing, they just sampled the original tracks. This is the original boss theme, and here is OSS's. I will say that it seems like the second video seems to exaggerate the echo effect, but it really does sound different.

Man. I really hate what they did to the music, huh. Especially those rising and falling keyboard slides in the remake. What the hell is that. Ugh. Bleugh. Thanks, I hate it. While the game has several Quality of Life improvements, this is inexcusable.
I mean, the original game is pretty bland in comparison to the music of the second game, but wow, that's... that's just not good at all. :psyduck:

Blaze Dragon posted:

It really is. The series deserves to be LPed in full, or at the very least have the actually good game in it LPed! It's impressive that the only LP that got 100% completed and archived is the one from the shittiest game in the franchise. I guess it's a good thing though, now people don't have to play it to understand how the plot goes...not like SF2 adds much to it.
Seconding this. StarForce 1 & 3 definitely need to get 100%'d and added to the LParchive one of these days.

GeneralYeti posted:

Giver and I are semi-planning to do Star Force 1 after we finish this. I like the game, and it's been long enough since I finished DW3 that I'm starting to get the LP itch again.
Oh, nice! :D

Geemer posted:

He was looking for a FireProgram. Ovens are hot. What's not to understand?
Lan's dad is the epitome of "I invented a military grade guidance system and took a copy home to cut my lawn at the exact HOA demands."
Yuichiro is truly the best character in the series. :allears:

Update 5 posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo. This is Internet 2 of what, 16? They're just THROWING good poo poo at you right and left.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

giver336 posted:

Fun fact: Dr.Hikari is 45 years old in Battle Network 1!

45 is ancient! At least, to kids this age.

Pretty sure this is a joke where the kid thinks the book is talking about Yuichiro when it's actually talking about Tadashi. (Lan's grandfather, for those who aren't familiar.)

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Captain Fargle posted:

Pretty sure this is a joke where the kid thinks the book is talking about Yuichiro when it's actually talking about Tadashi. (Lan's grandfather, for those who aren't familiar.)

Yuichiro Hikari invented the modern-day PET. Tadashi Hikari invented the Internet.

And later Lan Hikari will invent a precursor to the BrotherBand system. :derp

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BlackPersona posted:

Man, I remember StoneMan.EXE from the NT Warrior anime was super intimidating and a major boss for the N1 Grand Prix arc. Kind of sad to see him :flaccid: here...

He got oneshot by Heat Guts, though, didn't he?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

giver336 posted:

Yuichiro Hikari invented the modern-day PET. Tadashi Hikari invented the Internet.

The hikari family are as gods in this setting.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

giver336 posted:

I'm pretty sure Tadashi created the PET to go along with the internet, but Yuichiro just made it way better & more accessible, like what Microsoft did when switching from DOS to Windows proper. As evidenced by the half-functioning NetNavi from Oran Isle in BN5, they did have navis back then, just not as advanced.
(At least, the wiki claims Tadashi made the original PET, but that's about as trustworthy a source as a jar of marmalade. Shame no lore books were released for this series, or at least, none were that I know of.)

PS - does anyone have any idea what was done with the avatars in the BN3 thread to vectorize them like that? I kinda want to make OSS Mayl my new one, because I've had Beardman for a good couple years now.
: "You're gonna help me with my Bubblewash, aren't you, Lan?"

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm pretty sure Tadashi created the PET to go along with the internet, but Yuichiro just made it way better & more accessible, like what Microsoft did when switching from DOS to Windows proper. As evidenced by the half-functioning NetNavi from Oran Isle in BN5, they did have navis back then, just not as advanced.
(At least, the wiki claims Tadashi made the original PET, but that's about as trustworthy a source as a jar of marmalade. Shame no lore books were released for this series, or at least, none were that I know of.)

PS - does anyone have any idea what was done with the avatars in the BN3 thread to vectorize them like that? I kinda want to make OSS Mayl my new one, because I've had Beardman for a good couple years now.

Offhand I think it might be waifu2x.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AweStriker posted:

Offhand I think it might be waifu2x.
Nah, that's an upscaler. Completely different. I remember EPM mentioning photoshop & e: some other adobe program adobe illustrator, but I wasn't sure which version. All I know is that photoshop cs2 doesn't seem to have whatever filter was used.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Nah, that's an upscaler. Completely different. I remember EPM mentioning photoshop & e: some other adobe program adobe illustrator, but I wasn't sure which version. All I know is that photoshop cs2 doesn't seem to have whatever filter was used.

As I recall, using waifu2x was a step before applying the filters

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I believe that they were trying to get new kids who played Star Force hooked to Battle Network rather than giving something to old BN fans, that's why you get all sort of buffs but enemies stay the same. The original BN1 really wasn't an accesible entry point and it actually made me stay away from the franchise until I found a cheap used BN2 cart and decided to give it a go.

Blaziken386 posted:

I think so too, I mean, the kid isn't saying Dr.Hikari is currently 45, he's saying he WAS 45 when he invented the PET so realistically he can only be talking about Grandpa Light.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Even though I stopped reading it at some point, I always swore I'd get back to it and kept the thread (needs archives) in my bookmarks. Looks like some goon named hhwoot did the vectors. Maybe see if you can hit them up?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

giver336 posted:

Blaziken386 posted:

update: I've been playing BN3 again, and found this little tidbit on the Scilab Chat BBS:

So, there you have it. Tadashi made the original PET, and Yuichiro expanded upon them.

Geemer posted:

Even though I stopped reading it at some point, I always swore I'd get back to it and kept the thread (needs archives) in my bookmarks. Looks like some goon named hhwoot did the vectors. Maybe see if you can hit them up?
Unfortunately, I don't have the messaging upgrade. Either they'll see this thread and pop in, or they won't, and I'll install illustrator myself and see if there's some weird filter in there that isn't in photoshop.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
gently caress this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I miss those Aura viruses in later titles.

Also, I'm fairly certain they don't show up this early. How much sequence are you breaking? :stare:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I miss those Aura viruses in later titles.

Also, I'm fairly certain they don't show up this early. How much sequence are you breaking? :stare:

Knowing giver...ALL OF IT. DEATH RUN TO THE UNDERNET, CHOO CHOO!

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Didn't realize the fanslation for this was out. Definitely going to have to check into it because I played the original back in the day and was always interested in the new stuff.

This also inspired me to check out the BN3 LP in the archive since you mentioned it, because my experience with it back in the day was beating DesertMan for my brother and never bothered past somewhere in the Bubbleman scenario when playing it like five years ago. Got to the parts in the LP where you've taken over, and it seems the games kicking you like that is like a running joke of its.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

giver336 posted:

gently caress this game.

Don't you see, Giver? Zenny is capcom's way of showing its' love! :allears:

Your pain is very familiar to me, as I had to hunt down PlantmanV3 about 10 times earlier today because the fucker just kept dropping zenny :argh:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

giver336 posted:

gently caress this game.

At least with the new drop system you can realistically get the chip from the virus itself this time around.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

SirSystemError posted:

This also inspired me to check out the BN3 LP in the archive since you mentioned it, because my experience with it back in the day was beating DesertMan for my brother and never bothered past somewhere in the Bubbleman scenario when playing it like five years ago. Got to the parts in the LP where you've taken over, and it seems the games kicking you like that is like a running joke of its.

Enjoy. And when you get there:

Source.

Original:

Ahahahahahaha.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Battle Network 3 doesn't really exist and the MegaMan series as a whole was one elaborate ruse by giver. :tinfoil:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

giver336 posted:

Ahahahahahaha.

Hey, back then we didn't realize that you were posting edited screenshots until you faked an update, so this totally could have slipped through.
Unless this was after that update, I'm too lazy to check.

The person who posted this on TV Troupes really shouldn't have used your LP for a reference though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

My favorite thing about the big faked update was using a typo as a clue and no one catching it because typos just felt like they went hand & hand

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

giver336 posted:

Enjoy. And when you get there:

Source.

Original:

Ahahahahahaha.

hahahaha

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Aw, they took it down. You shouldn't have brought it up - it was only a month away from being up for a whole year.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

rannum posted:

My favorite thing about the big faked update was using a typo as a clue and no one catching it because typos just felt like they went hand & hand

If you meant that one, I actually thought it slightly unusual in the update after. It didn't have any of the exposition of the real counterpart shown there, though that wasn't enough for me to think it faked in itself. That said I would've known if I'd played to that point myself, because I'm always curious about those kinds of things in games (and try to spite them anyway). Also why it got me anyway.

That one on the other hand is pretty blatant even without it being pointed out. Pretty great that both made it onto TVTropes just from the LP, ha.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Let's get to the next page, shall we? I think we're only 2 off, or so and this next one is kinda big. Next update is about to be ready.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
No, we're 5 or so off by the looks of things. Nevertheless, I'll help with bumping up the post count.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm looking forward to the next update of Absolute MadMan.EXE.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I tried Chrono X the other day and I've gotta say I had a lot of fun with it so far

wonder when more of the Star Force tie in will play a part here

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We'll get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Are we on a new page yet?