Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Glompton

we have ideas!

blaise rascal posted:

By the way, the SomethingAwful Game Jam is from July 6th to July 31st this year in case anyone wants to make a video game.

I probably wouldn't be able to contribute much due to other stuff going on in July, but I could help a little with like music or something.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859553&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

... what about a game where you're a little rain cloud, and you only have so much water, and there are like flowers and rain-barrels to drop it on if you're feeling nice, or picnics and old men if you're not.

The first boss would be a freshly washed car.

alnilam posted:

it's a side scroller that's constantly moving and you're constantly raining but you can move back to hover over something for longer or move forward to drop minimal rain on something, and choose to maximize your :twisted: score or your :shobon: score

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Trees and lakes could be recharge stations for your humid nethers.

As the levels progress we could introduce factors like temperature and barometric pressure. It's basically Rayman Run but teaches you meteorology.

Jaded Burnout posted:

One thing I must say is that many aspects of geology and climate, like a hill, would force a cloud to rain, which maybe is a bit of a harsh experience what with the loss of control and all that.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Like in Street Fighter.

You leave my humid nethers alone.

blaise rascal posted:

I was actually kind of hoping someone would suggest this lol

Maybe I will make a thread in byob when the contest starts DEMANDING people throw art, music, and haxeflixel code at me, and I will take it upon myself to mash it all into a finished game. (with other people's help and suggestions of course)

Maybe we could keep the nascent game's code and stuff in a password-accessible dropbox folder so even the yobbers too dumb to figure out source control can participate (i am one of those yobbers)

It would not have to be haxeflixel but that's the environment I have experience with

MockingQuantum posted:

just be aware that JonTerp & the other organizers do stick pretty hard to the "max 3 on a team (unless you're just doing sound files)" rule. The first time they did that, I was doing sound design and actually integrating the audio into our game, and for the purposes of that rule, I was definitely considered a full team member. I'm not sure what they'd do if you had, like, four people on a team, but I would not be surprised if they disqualified a game from winning anything because of it.

Hence later-level challenges. It could start cartoonishly simple and by the end be a decent little hydrophysics sim. A well-ramped challenge level is choice gaming in my book!

Yeah do that. I have no idea what like eighty percent of it means but if you need pixel sprites of clouds peeing and umbrella salesmen holding up bags of money and such let me know.

blaise rascal posted:

Oh yeah we would be clear that we weren't REALLY participating in the actual contest, just doing the same stuff at the same time as everyone else

By the way, which year did they have a 16-person group? I might read a little of that thread and see what worked & what didn't

MockingQuantum posted:

hmm... it had to be 2015 or earlier, I think, but I honestly couldn't be sure. And 16 was hyperbole, but I know one year blastron had a team that was at least 6-8 people, and even that is... oof. It would have been one of the string of Punch Fight games.

fake edit: found it, it's this one: http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/missing-teeth but I'm phonepostin so I can't easily track down the thread for that year

Yeah, we could be an out-of-competition entry, that takes a lot of pressure off.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

It's also the BYOB way.

I feel like a BYOB special entry into the summer game jam could be amazingly awesome, and we have a couple ideas already but that's no reason to stop brainstorming. If there isn't a thread by the time I get home I'll make one.

Immediate association- when I think BYOB game I envision the original Toejam and Earl but with hammock cat and the Get Out frog. Unfortunately reskins are against the contest rules (actually that's a good thing) but that's the tone I envision instinctively.

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

we have talent!

City of Glompton posted:

neat

i have no idea if anyone here in byob needs a voice actor but if someone does i'll try my best

I've done some voice work.

I know nothing of games, but I could speak words into a microphone.

hamjobs posted:

I'm willing to write code or draw poo poo because sprites but like can I just get really stoned with Rushing and draw cute cats doing tiny cute things and that's our game?

Bluedeanie posted:

I can do voice sounds, if you need anyone with an awful idiot mouth to say dumbass words and poo poo I am your man

mister magpie posted:

i can make sprites too

alnilam posted:

I mess around with audio sometimes for fun, I'm decent at coding but more from a sciencey place not sure if I'd be much use for gameZ, but I'd love to help if i can!

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I love this idea so much. Even if I just end up watching - so cooool!

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 22, 2018

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you CoG for setting this thread up.

Gentlemen... how do we kill Superman make computer games?

Actual contribution: I think the rain cloud idea should be working-titled "Tut-tut" after Milne.

Robot Made of Meat

Rain-cloud game sounds like the mostest BYOB thing ever.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Meeksha

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
i've actually composed and recorded a small amount of music. my style is heavily influenced by the 8-bit era.

here's a video capturing a lot of the song ideas i've never actually turned into songs. some of them are video game-y sounding. a few are mini-covers of actual songs, but about 95+% are original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQLQ-MbzzE

-----

come on and slam and welcome to the jam

Thank you Heather Papps for the summer sig!

Meeksha

Ask me how!
-freb dust
sorry if that video is too long, btw. they're a bunch of 20-30 second samples of things i've written and there are like 70. might be good to put on in the background while you do something else.

-----

Meeksha

Ask me how!
-freb dust
also the limp bizkit + one is the loneliest number mashup and others of similar caliber were done in an extremely imbibed state.

if not notable from post-storm... i can be pretty insecure about my music.

-----

MockingQuantum

Until a year ago I did sound design for games for a living, so there's that

I also dabble in music, but since there seems to be a fair amount of interest in that, I'll just say I'm happy to mix others music if that's useful.

Also depending on the logistics of who's actually making the game and what engine it's being done in, I can probably handle most or all of the audio integration, though it's been a donk's age since I touched Unity or Unreal directly

thank you luvcow for the sig

City of Glompton

we've received a song entry from a mysterious lurker! this is the cloud song and it's made for looping:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1HqR3cIhY61

e: I should have added that this is for a happy level for making flowers grow

BoldFrankensteinMir

So are we all gravitating towards the cloud game? It does seem pretty appropriate.

Somebody who knows what they're doing, how does this process begin?

Robot Made of Meat

The whole "No Mods, No Managers" concept might work against us.

Is anybody willing to take charge of this game thing?

BoldFrankensteinMir

The whole "No Mods, No Managers" concept might work against us.

Is anybody willing to take charge of this game thing?

Yeah, cohesive software design doesn't seem like it will spontaneously emerge from a drum-circle. Unfortunately.

But don't look at me, I'm so dumb i think agile and waterfall are yoga positions.

Bonus joke- I'm so dumb I think scrum is what they built Day of the Tentacle with.

Bonus joke- I'm so dumb when I was asked if I knew Python I started quoting the dead parrot skit.

City of Glompton

i'm extremely dumb so this is a threat - if no one else takes charge i will :evilbuddy:

save yourselves and step up if you actually know what you're doing

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'll help out with the cloud game but I don't wanna be in charge of it

I'd be willing to be in charge if it was a different type of game

I actually think CoG would be perfect to lead the development of the cloud game

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

I'll help out with the cloud game but I don't wanna be in charge of it

I'd be willing to be in charge if it was a different type of game

I actually think CoG would be perfect to lead the development of the cloud game

Cloud game isn't set in stone, I think everyone is still open to suggestions.

What kind of game would you be more interested in?

blaise rascal

I just think I would be a poor fit to lead a game with a "cute" tone. I am not fluent in the language of "cute." (But I would happily help with code and assets.)

I guess if I ruled the world I would be in charge of an 2D isometric RPG

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

I just think I would be a poor fit to lead a game with a "cute" tone. I am not fluent in the language of "cute." (But I would happily help with code and assets.)

I guess if I ruled the world I would be in charge of an 2D isometric RPG

Oh man I would write dialog trees for months for an iso RPG (I used to write radiant audioplays for escape rooms, it was super fun), but I just don't think we have time. But then I'm dumb, maybe they don't take as long as I think?

City of Glompton

i wonder if perhaps...byob could make more than one game?

one game cute game - tut tut

one game more serious?

two teams making two games?

MockingQuantum

I can sort of organize things depending on the level of organization desired, I am however not a programmer and an okay game designer at best so I'd kinda have to just play producer.

thank you luvcow for the sig

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i am a terrible programmer but i am ok at python, c#, java, javascript, etc

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Robot Made of Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

I can sort of organize things depending on the level of organization desired, I am however not a programmer and an okay game designer at best so I'd kinda have to just play producer.

This sounds promising.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I can possibly make art or music, but I wouldn't rely on me

blaise rascal

City of Glompton posted:

we've received a song entry from a mysterious lurker! this is the cloud song and it's made for looping:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1HqR3cIhY61

e: I should have added that this is for a happy level for making flowers grow
This is great by the way, thank you kind lurker

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

blaise rascal posted:

This is great by the way, thank you kind lurker

it's like cool town music

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I know how to make games

City of Glompton

everyone who wants to be involved with making a game about a cute cloud, please quote this post and state your role! :yayclod:

City of Glompton

if you would like to make a game but do not want to make a cute cloud game, please quote this post, and state your role!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the SA game slam has a max of 3 people per team

City of Glompton

we're just shadowing them and not actually trying to submit an entry, because byob :) but thanks putty

Scaly Haylie

there's a lizard on a hot rock who looks miserable in the game.

if you raining on him and cool him down he'll throw items at you.

his name is bonus lizard.

PhantomPayne

I should think before posting
final boss should be :wedass: while you fight him in space on four lily pads.

:wedass: stays in the top center of the screen and says "it is wednesday my dudes", with the words "wednesday", "my" and "dudes" falling over 3 of the 4 lily pads.

once :wedass: is at 1/4 of his healthbar he divides into 5 mini :wedass: who bounce all over the screen while time and space distorts.

When :wedass: dies he goes to the center of the screen, turns white and opens a portal, after entering the portal you're transported to a green valley with happy clouds :yayclod: where there's a hammock between two trees, and in that hammock is byob cat, who starts singing the BYOB REGGAE while the credits roll.

Then after the credits, there's a cutscene of :frogout: reviving :wedass: and a teaser title.

BYOB 2 - ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE REVENGEANCE OF GBS

Robot Made of Meat

City of Glompton posted:

everyone who wants to be involved with making a game about a cute cloud, please quote this post and state your role! :yayclod:

Voice stuffs.

Scaly Haylie

City of Glompton posted:

i could probably do some voicework.

Korean Boomhauer

City of Glompton posted:

i can do voices too

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
What are you making this in?

----------------

City of Glompton

drilldo squirt posted:

excellent question drilldo

we need someone to lead the way on that

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

drilldo squirt posted:

City of Glompton posted:

excellent question drilldo

we need someone to lead the way on that

Putty posted:

I know how to make games

mr. putty? balls in your court now

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
uhh Unreal Engine

Scaly Haylie

um excuse me, gamemaker 2 is the software we need, it says it's for making games right in the name? :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Putty posted:

uhh Unreal Engine
Why yes, game maker is a GREAT suggestion, thanks putty

Personally, I only have experience with haxeflixel, but either game maker or haxeflixel would be fine

• Locked thread