Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Will give Harukana Receive a try, definitely pick up the new season of Yamasusu, maybe try FLCL (although I missed the boat on the original), will see if my usual circle of friends strongly recommends anything else. Also definitely continuing with MHA and Kitaro, both of those have been a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, season 1 is one cour of 3 minute episodes, season 2 is two cour of 13 minute eps. A nice breezy watch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How are people ITT feeling about Newly Cooly, anyway?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

It felt very "Dude, you already watched the original; it's fine to let go". So I did.

What if I didn't watch the original

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Winter was definitely heavier on prestige stuff than last season was/this season seems set to.

Also, in Fall news, Bloom Into You announced its lead VAs today.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1011170578714132480

I'm quite happy with these picks, both been really good before.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

yoko kanno got invited to the academy, the people who vote on the oscars

Oh that's cool!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

I'm curious as to how far into the manga they'll go.

I'm hopeful they can make it to like the end of volume 6 - Should be a really natural stopping point, I bet they can manage it with a few judicious edits, and at any rate there aren't any super obvious cutoff points before there. Stop before that and they'll probably need to do something anime original to make it not feel abrupt and unfinished - though that might not be so bad, the screenwriter's been really good before.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1011625839299997699

Bloom Into You anime released its first PV. Really love the look they're going for.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My height is perfectly adequate for my purposes and I have no particular strong feelings about it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

The MMO Junkie manga is ending due to the author's health.

The stress of the most famous advertisement for her manga being the work of Naziman probably didn't help her health issues, lol. Note that this isn't an indefinite hiatus like the series was on since like 2015, but rather 'this is over, forever.' She could relaunch it at a later date as MMO Junkie beyond or whatever, but I feel like if she made this call that'd be pretty unlikely for her to do.

:smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't mind the melodrama per se, but it falls a little flat for me in the first episode when I can barely remember anyone's name, let alone invest in their emotional goals or anything.

Still, that's something time ought to be able to fix.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

if i had to pinpoint a problem with the first episode it's one of perspective: you open with a scene that's highly subjective focused on nagisa, but then it drops that and jumps around introducing characters and setting up relationships in a way that's confusing. the scene where ayano hits the errant tennis ball is a good example; there are a lot of characters and potential storylines present and it's not as skillfully executed as it could be. it's ok, it's fine, i still liked the episode, in retrospect it feels like it could've been better

Yeah, even aside from the tone I probably would have enjoyed the ep way more if it had brought in fewer characters. As it is aside from Nagisa and Ayano I was having a really hard time trying to remember names or suss out who I was supposed to care about and why.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

First episode of the new season was so good and pretty.

I adore the new ED. Hope the song comes out soon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like Harukana's art style, but it feels kind of stiff in motion. The actual match was...kind of bad, tbh.

The show's nice enough overall, tho. Seems like it might be a nice, laid back counterpoint to Hanebado.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked Hanebado's second ep a lot more than the first, felt like it breathes much better now. The match between Nagisa and the coach was excellently done. Just wish the coach would stop doing the lame Umamusume "oh it looks like I'm perving on you because I'm just IN SUCH AWE OF YOUR ATHLETIC POTENTIAL" gag.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember when AOT was first blowing up I went for months assuming it was some mecha anime set on the moons of Saturn

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Planet With was certainly an intruiging start, I'll give it that. Kinda reminds me of a Nisio Isin piece in some ways. Curious to see how it develops.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also - I believe the Sakugablog guy said that ep was solo key animated - but my understanding is that that still implies that there were other animators doing in-between frames so it's not like it was one person drawing literally every frame of the episode. I could be wrong there, tho.

Anyhow I thought it looked nice enough. Kind of melty but in a way that felt like a deliberate choice made in the name of greater expressiveness.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Instead of the flcl sequels I want the story the writer of die wanted to do where nono comes back from the singularity

Oh, I never heard about that. Do you know if they wanted it to be, like, a happy ending for Nono/Lal'c, or like a 1000 years later thing like Gunbuster?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Sakuga crowd sure is in love with Revue Starlight - and the gifs I've seen look very promising. Shame about the streaming delay.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought Harukana Receive's second episode was a pretty nice step up after the first was a little shaky. Thought today's match was much better put-together than last week's, and the character dynamics are starting to groove a little too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Revue Starlight had easily the best premiere I've seen this season, and maybe all year. Flamboyant, melodramatic, lavishly animated. The whole last third of the episode was just a treat. Very much on board.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

give me subs that translate the fuckin music

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/1018186158940082177

Also uses HiDive's subs for the dialog but cleans up the hideous font/typesetting a bit. A group called Starlight Subs is also doing fansubs, but those aren't done yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wish they weren't quite so scared to draw girls with muscles.

It feels like they keep tiptoeing up to the line of giving them more but the faintest hint of definition and then backing off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hanebado was really good today, I'm totally on board now after being a little uncertain for an episode or two. Season's rounding into very nice form. I could easily see 3 or 4 shows duking it out to my AOTS spot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

This is a universal plague, unfortunately.

I have been known to rant about "THEY'RE ATHLETES/WARRIORS, AT LEAST MAKE THEM LOOK AS SUCH." From time to time.

There was a person I follow on twitter who spent a significant chunk of time with a username of "HIBIKI HAS ABS YOU COWARDS, DRAW THEM", and, hell

(Hibiki being the Symphogear, of course)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I was not expecting Kanata to be The Thirsty One, tbqh

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Davincie posted:

Scheduled to release in 2019
It will feature a new story written by Hasekura Isuna
Character designs by Ju Ayakura.
The main VAs will not change from the original anime series.

Supports Rift and VIVE (at the very least). There will be a non-VR movie version for Windows. Support for PSVR is not certain but optimistic.

There will be English subtitles

That's...interesting. The fact that they're bothering with a non-VR movie versio suggests to me that they want it to be fairly serious rather than just a cutesy/sexy "hang out with your girl Holo" sort of VR thing, which makes me curious why they felt the need to do VR at all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Harukana's definitely not afraid of some overt fanservice, but yeah it does a good job of siloing most of the fanservice off in its own scenes. Serious character moments and the actual volleyball matches are shot as such - and pretty capably, so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The solution is to understand that properly deployed fanservice is good IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Does the phrase fanservice inherently pass judgment on the audience?

It shouldn't IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yama No Susume still very pretty, still excellent de-stress anime, still slightly difficult to talk about beyond that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Encouragement Of Climb

Very pretty short series about Cute Girls Doing Mountain Hiking Things. See Also: Yurucamp

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I think Aoi and Hinata should get gay married

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hanebado sure doesn't let up, does it? I like the show and all but man it is max drama at basically all times.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I'm watching it, it's good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm enjoying Planet With a lot, 3 episodes in. It really does a fantastic job of being mysterious and intruiging while still giving the viewer enough concrete information to go on to parse what's happening from one moment to the next.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of Yama no Susume, Crunchyroll got an OVA as well as the latest episode apparently. I watched it and now I'm no longer sure Kokona is human. I think she might be some kind of benevolent pixie.

Worst kept secret in anime

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Encouragement of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, Aoi thinking to herself "Oh, I wanna talk to Hinata about that show from the other night" and then awkwardly hovering around while Hinata's talking to some other friends before getting scared and running away was enormous mood.

• Locked thread