Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Co-creator of Captain America Joe Simon? Wikipedia says he died back in 2011 at the age of 98. Are you thinking of someone else?

I think the soul singer Joe Simon would be around 75.

That'll teach me to go against my first instinct. I was pretty certain he kicked it but I googled it and got pics of captain america and "Joe Simon - 75."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, revolutionary artist but a weird dude. Helped create one of the most popular superheroes ever, and he gives less than a poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Joe Sinnott is still alive at 91. He inked a lot of early Marvel, including FF #5 and then almost all of the back half of the Lee/Kirby run and the lion's share of later issues into the early 1980s.

Stan's brother Larry Lieber is 86, and scripted most of the early Iron Man and Thor stories and a bunch of other stuff of the era.

Sal Buscema is 82 but he didn't break in at Marvel until 1968.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FutureFriend posted:

how has the zub run of it been so far? something worth reading in general or pretty much just something to wait for when it hits marvel unlimited?

It's only been a few issues so far, but I like it. It reminds me of Peter David's Young Justice, in that Zub is writing them like a bunch of teenagers who hang out rather than an organized super-team.

https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/1015266862463176704

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'll take a comic that's secretly Grayson Vol. 2 :)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow. Ditko. The past couple years I've been expecting Lee to go and didn't think about how Ditko must also be getting on in his years.

Spider-Man has meant a lot to me, but it's weird to think that if I had ever expressed that to him (Ditko, not Spider-Man) he wouldn't have given a crap.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

Joe Sinnott is still alive at 91. He inked a lot of early Marvel, including FF #5 and then almost all of the back half of the Lee/Kirby run and the lion's share of later issues into the early 1980s.

Stan's brother Larry Lieber is 86, and scripted most of the early Iron Man and Thor stories and a bunch of other stuff of the era.

Sal Buscema is 82 but he didn't break in at Marvel until 1968.

He's not original original but John Romita Sr. is still kicking too.

Also, in looking up Joe Sinnott he may still be inking newspaper Spider-Man with Larry Lieber.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
While sad to hear, I legit thought Ditko was already dead since he was such a recluse. But in that regard, I hope he was happy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

He's not original original but John Romita Sr. is still kicking too.
He's close enough to original, he banged around at Atlas and did some Commie Smasher Captain America issues and was on board by 1965 when they started expanding the line a bit. I honestly though he'd passed a few years back, but I believe I was thinking of John Severin.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

That'll teach me to go against my first instinct. I was pretty certain he kicked it but I googled it and got pics of captain america and "Joe Simon - 75."

I guess there's a chance he could have co created Captain America when he was -2 years old.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Marie Severin is still around! One of the great colorists and a majorly unsung figure of the early Marvel days! She also designed one of the most Ditko of all non-Ditko characters, the Living Tribunal!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I didn't realise that Ditko was that old. R.I.P.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rhyno posted:

If he was 75, he would have co-created Captain America at the ripe old age of negative 2. Child labour laws back then were lax!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ditko has gone to the great Gulch in the sky.

How many issues is Marvel rising? Its numbering has been really confusing, and the way the last issue ends makes it sound like it all ties up in the next issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

If he was 75, he would have co-created Captain America at the ripe old age of negative 2. Child labour laws back then were lax!

Did child labor laws even exist in the 30s?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Did child labor laws even exist in the 30s?

The Fair Labor Standards Act passed in 1938. Before that (and, well, after that) it was a pretty vicious back and forth on both the state and the federal level. For example the Keatings-Owen Act in 1916 was supposed to discourage exploitive child-labor by curtailing interstate commerce of stuff produced by minors under *especially* nasty conditions (factories, mines, or very long shifts), but it was ruled unconstitutional and struck down within two years. It was a tough world for kids who were negative two.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

How many issues is Marvel rising? Its numbering has been really confusing, and the way the last issue ends makes it sound like it all ties up in the next issue.

Seems to be two more issues, Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl, then marvel rising: omega.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone reading Hulk? I get that they want to do horror with it but it's also kind of weird when the Hulk is also being Sherlock Holmes and Banner is Watson?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Love it.
Hulk as an EC horror comic is perfect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Love it.
Hulk as an EC horror comic is perfect.

There's some good rear end moments in the last one though. I mean I thought the fate of the bad guy was a bit much but then the reveal the son was ALSO alive and buried all this time was gosh.

HULK DOESNT KILL. *so far in series, leaves one guy in a permanent coma, the other immortal person he rips the limbs off and buries him under a mountain* :v:

The Sadistic Hulk might have been a more accurate title. :haw:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 9, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, "Hulk doesn't kill" here is more of a threat than a heroic statement.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't have a lot of money atm so I only follow a few things, but hulk is really good and worth the read

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Al Ewing needs to get a prestige book toute suite. The dude's mind does not work the same way as anyone else at Marvel and I love it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Al Ewing needs to get a prestige book toute suite. The dude's mind does not work the same way as anyone else at Marvel and I love it.

I'm not sure what you mean by prestige, because he's had like 27 different Avengers books and also the Loki book that could ignore most events when Loki was the most popular character from the films. He needs to find an artist he likes and can work fast and do a loving Image book that gets optioned for a tv show (doesn't really matter if the tv show gets made).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

USAvengers and Loki are not what anyone thinks of when they say prestige books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

Seems to be two more issues, Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl, then marvel rising: omega.

Its really confusing how its numbered, but that makes sense in the number of issues. I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be longer if its mostly just to get people interested in the upcoming show.

And yea I had to cancel a bunch of books because I don't have the money I used to have, so i had to be careful. Lucky there's only one Avengers right now, and a bunch of other books ended that I can replace, like Hawkeye will be replaced by West Coast Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nilbop posted:

There was that first 6 issues of ultimates

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Then what's an example of a prestige book? I think it's either something like New Avengers (you know, Bendis' poo poo where they finally had both Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers and was the catalyst for every event comic for the next decade) or something like Sandman (which is not comparable to anything that Ewing's written), or Mike Carey's Lucifer (which definitely feels like what Ewing was doing with Loki: Agent of Asgard).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

I loved his entire Ultimates run but I doubt it sold as well as something like Wolverine or whatever.

Skwirl posted:

Then what's an example of a prestige book? I think it's either something like New Avengers (you know, Bendis' poo poo where they finally had both Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers and was the catalyst for every event comic for the next decade) or something like Sandman (which is not comparable to anything that Ewing's written), or Mike Carey's Lucifer (which definitely feels like what Ewing was doing with Loki: Agent of Asgard).

For Marvel? Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, whatever the big X-Men book is. I'm talking about sales and visibility, which absolutely change over time but for something like Spidey and the prime X-Men book generally stay high in the charts and visibility. In my brain these titles are assigned to writers as rewards and if they've got a super good take.

I'm sure someone could correct me on what the top consistent sellers generally are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

Which first 6?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I'm sure someone could correct me on what the top consistent sellers generally are.

What's that steel chair shaped spotlight in the sky?!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Immortal Hulk is one of the best Marvel titles in a while for me. The idea that Bruce Banner's lost a bit of his intelligence is interesting as well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

What's that steel chair shaped spotlight in the sky?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGGZaCdYIuU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Can someone give me a quick rundown of everything that's happened in Amazing Spider-Man from about the point where Superior Spider-Man ended? That's roughly where I stopped reading. Might come back now that Slott is finally gone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of everything that's happened in Amazing Spider-Man from about the point where Superior Spider-Man ended? That's roughly where I stopped reading. Might come back now that Slott is finally gone.

You know they replaced Slott with Nick "let's make Captain America a Nazi" Spencer, right?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Skwirl posted:

You know they replaced Slott with Nick "let's make Captain America a Nazi" Spencer, right?

He also did Superior Foes though, right? That was pretty good from what I remember.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which first 6?

Ummm issues 1 through 6...??? before it became a cw2 tiein and went off the rails

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Ummm issues 1 through 6...??? before it became a cw2 tiein and went off the rails

I think he was making a joke about how it was something like the 6th comic titled Ultimates.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senjuro posted:

He also did Superior Foes though, right? That was pretty good from what I remember.

I enjoyed Superior Foes, but I'd also say that regardless of that his Ultimate X-Men run should have gotten him banned from writing for either of the big two forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Can't wait for Nick Spencer to make Spider-Man a goblin.