Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

X-O posted:

I loved his short run on Strange. The Spider-Man issue is of course a highlight. I was sad when it ended but I love Waid's run too so far so I'm fine with it. I'm not sure what the total reaction to the whole Damnation storyline was, but I enjoyed the parts I read of it (I didn't read any of the other tie-ins outside of the Dr. Strange issues).

Speaking personally, Damnation is the textbook definition of something I EXPECTED to be kind of awful and gritty, but actually surprised me- all of the tie-ins were actually pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

X-O posted:

A name is a name. Doesn't really matter to me. Laura's book is just as good under the name X-23 as it was Wolverine. I don't really care either way.

Except that's objectively wrong, at the very least from an in-story perspective. Her taking the mantle of Wolverine was entirely about her taking up a heroic legacy and putting her own mark on it, carrying it forward, and being better at it than her predecessor due to having learned from him, and not just going by the clone designation she was given and her nature as a weapon... but I guess it's just as fine and doesn't change anything if she just decides to go back to that for no reason other than the old dude is around/will be around sometime in the next year, right? No difference at all!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

"Black Cat Annual #2 coming eventually"
Is it fair to assume that 'eventually' means 'this year' or do words not mean things now

Speaking of Hulk, didn't they just reveal Ross is alive in Cap's latest issue?
Didn't he get his spine ripped out by Carnage after getting up? Did that heal? He doesn't seem to be gamma-boosted, but...
Something something skeleton xylophone fire.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 7, 2020

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I'd rather just have Hope again, but that's mostly just wanting to see more "What if Jean Grey was also Cable" and wanting to see more Cable with the Avengers.

I'm probably one of three people who I feel like actually have this opinion

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Thor #6 is a comic that is so bad it's made me like earlier Cates creations less, and feels like he's spent years in fringes of the Marvel Universe for a reason.

Creating a totally new villain just to be killed off, and kill off Galactus, and set up your new event which is just... it's just 'Thanos gets the infinity gems', 'Someone who really shouldn't gets the hammer', and 'marvel zombies?' all mashed together, along with what looks like some good old fashioned DC arm-replacement, and... man, you hit it big because you made Cosmic Deadpool and then said "psych, that's the punisher" and like Deadpool and his "He's deathstroke but he jokes" other writers fixed it afterwards- Dennis Hopeless, in this case.

Like Knull was already giving me BWL vibes, this just... nah. I think I'm gonna not be following Thor unless I start hearing good things again.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

FoneBone posted:

Did that Al Ewing Masked Raider thing from Marvel 1000/Incoming ever get resolved, or did that fall into COVID limbo? I can’t remember the character appearing post-Incoming but my memory may be failing me

He's shown up in one other thing so far, pretty sure. I think he showed up in a couple of pages of Avengers, we still don't know what his actual deal is or what he's after.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 20, 2020

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

It's almost like they should have used the weird different stuff to introduce the new, different character instead of slapping it onto their old one and having a new character take up their role

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I love how much the end of GotG is just "BLUE BLAZES! We missed a whole event!" while also being a better Heroes in Crisis

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Didn't Fantomex give his body up to be used by Xavier, like, just a couple of months before everything mutant-related was retconned for House/Powers of X?

And I'm 98% sure that it ended looking like he was evil/had some kind of theorizing "WHAT IS THIS 'X' PERSON", too.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 6, 2020

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

He hasn't always remembered the Krakoa stuff for Reasons
Self-imposed psychic blocking.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Knowing comics, however, there's also a chance it won't be talked about for 20 years until a writer randomly pulls it out of a hat for a huge surprise twist.

Well, the Giant Size X-Men issues have been building up to a Fantomex-lead raid on The World, so logically if it was gonna get referenced ANYWHERE

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I don't really give hoots about Moon Knight but is this...like, is anyone actually enjoying this Avengers arc? It feels like the most generic sort of hero-turns-villain tripe that there can be. "No one else understands me! I'm the only one who knows what it takes to protect us!" Blah blah greater stakes, yada yada big huge evil whatever, yes I understand the character is mentally ill, thank you Jason Aaron. Thank you for this riveting narration.

That said, the adventures of Tony and Carol plus Starbrand baby has been surprisingly fun.

honestly the Jason Aaron run has been, at some level, a big "Shove all the toys together! Also they're bigger and more powerful and the stakes are EVEN GRANDER and-" kind of story for a bit now.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure either - something Thor-related, I guess?

Speaking of Guardians, I'm not sure Rocket Raccoon investigating a space murder is the most appropriate direction for the series, but I'm down for it.

Isn't it obvious?

Fortnite.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if the Lights have any special position in Krakoa, being directly connected to Hope and also one of those "We weren't as extinct as we thought we were!" incidents, or if they're just kinda forgotten about

What about that one Hope failed to save who literally got washed down the tub? Is he back? Did she try to undo her failure there? Does anyone even remember that storyline anymore

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

On the one hand, KiB is fun. Like, it feels like the goal is "Make a big fun punch-em-up with Venom as the focal character", and... sure, okay, I'm down for that.
On the other hand this is WWE-tier storytelling on display on top of glaring continuity errors.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

what are the glaring continuity errors?

Sentry should be red, but I guess they thought that whole plotline wasn't particularly important?
And they have the wrong Cable when the X-Men show up, too.
I feel like there's another one I've forgotten (I haven't slept much) and I may have oversold it, but these seem like things you'd pick up
Then again... gestures vaguely at Hazmat

edit: also, given how the entire page is a reference to Seige and there's a new euro-team I wonder if we're gonna get Ares

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's probably something to be said about how the entirety of King in Black feels like it can be traced back to referencing other, better stories, thinking on it

Hell, the entire thing revolves around a villain that Cates went "Hey, y'know that cool, mysterious sword in that other book? Yeah that's the sword my new OC made and he's also symbiote god. And also he's Grendel?"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

So we're getting Mike Murdock is: MATT MURDOCK, part 2, where he's a totally different person from Daredevil, because Daredevil is in jail.

Huh.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So character of the decade: Knull or The Batman who Laughs?

Obviously we know the plot of the next Amalgam crossover now, since we're revisiting all the 90s tone hits now, including the desperate need for sales in the face of bankruptcy

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

(accidental dp, quote not edit)

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

X-O posted:

Actually this week was the last issue. It's getting a relaunch under a different title at some point though.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's blatant false advertising!

Well, the final issue of Non-Stop Spider-Man involves him finally having to stop because he has nowhere to go for a hot minute, so I guess they couldn't really keep calling it that.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Wolverine's Jewish?? Shepping nachas for him!!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

because they're voting for the new x-man

who are we voting to replace Nate Grey

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

"X-Men: Disassembled"

X-Men: Disassembled struck me very much as the people running the X-Men line at the time getting the memo on who was gonna be running it going forward and the whole Krakoan Era Resurrection thing and then throwing a goddamned hissy fit and saying that no, the x-men are supposed to be dark and gritty and the REAL X-Men villains are these guys we're writing the finale for, and these are the REAL X-Men characters they're replacing with this clone stuff

Like, at the time, it just felt spiteful and I figured they were getting ready for a post Age of X-Man reshuffle, but the more time goes on the more blindfold killing herself and saying 'This is forever' just seems more and more like it was the voice of people who summarize the current X-Men as "a bunch of clones decided to become supervillains with a bunch of other clones"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I think there was a What If about that

There was an Alias What-If focusing on that actually

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

It certainly looks like someone on corporate doesn't want more than one figure fulfilling each spider-role. Experienced spider-man? Peter. Kaine's there if you need edgy spider-man, there's like 12 villains that are some evil version of peter in some capacity and also all of the symbiotes, Miles Morales is the Young Marketable Spider-Man, Silk is the Spider-Woman, Ghost-Spider is basically the Young Spider-Woman figure when it's not Silk (Because Spider-Woman is an avengers character)... like, actually, Kaine's dead, so even that doesn't fit there. Ghost Spider is the big one that flagged "Oh, they want every single one of these characters to have their own licensed and trademark-able design and name that they get called in the comic, now" to me, this is just the latest of those, but... not nearly so graceful.

E:Has any comic already used "NEW POWERS: NEW RESPONSIBILITIES" on the spider-line because that feels like a missed opportunity if not

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 4, 2022

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Dan Slott's 'Reckoning War' is just Dan Slott saying "gently caress you! I'm gonna write the 90s FF event I always planned to! Even if I have to get rid of everyone the FF brought in since then to do so!! ESPECIALLY IF I DO!!"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I think between Hulk and Punisher I'm becoming that guy who really likes comics I KNOW are bad because despite it being stupid, it's kinda fun and the art's good.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Y'know, I just now realized the death timer of Mr. Fantastic gives you a pretty clear window for how long earth went without a moon for in universe.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Knull was named after the German word for zero (Null) so presumably if you were going to do a bigger Knull or an anti-Knull you'd want to name him after the German word for infinity. Which is Unendlichkeit

So Keit the Unending Lich, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

so this Avengers Alpha thing is crap crap crap crap crap

avengers alpha feels like a post 2010s dc comics event

but so has this entire phase of the avengers