Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don't think Marvel doesn't know what it wants to be, I think it's just that it's using it's comics division as a sounding board for interesting or profitable stories for their movies and drat the consequences of whatever happens to the 616 itself. Cebulski doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to fight back against his masters' requests.

Also you should probably get that 2099 out of the title ya dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I'd take another Mockingbird over another Gwenpool in a heartbeat. Gwen's main draw for me was Gurihuru's art and when they weren't on board I inevitably just didn't pick it up.

And nothing was as bad as America. That's probably the worst written thing I've read in ... Jesus, forever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Avengers continues to be fun and enjoyable, and it feels like the direction for the characters is crystallizing. I don’t think McGuinness is a good fit for Aaron but eh, I haven’t seen him in a while.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Champions has sounded it’s entire run like the absolutely most eyerolling collection ion of dated comic tropes and twists anyone could have envisioned.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Al Ewing needs to get a prestige book toute suite. The dude's mind does not work the same way as anyone else at Marvel and I love it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

USAvengers and Loki are not what anyone thinks of when they say prestige books.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

There was that first 6 issues of ultimates

I loved his entire Ultimates run but I doubt it sold as well as something like Wolverine or whatever.

Skwirl posted:

Then what's an example of a prestige book? I think it's either something like New Avengers (you know, Bendis' poo poo where they finally had both Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers and was the catalyst for every event comic for the next decade) or something like Sandman (which is not comparable to anything that Ewing's written), or Mike Carey's Lucifer (which definitely feels like what Ewing was doing with Loki: Agent of Asgard).

For Marvel? Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, whatever the big X-Men book is. I'm talking about sales and visibility, which absolutely change over time but for something like Spidey and the prime X-Men book generally stay high in the charts and visibility. In my brain these titles are assigned to writers as rewards and if they've got a super good take.

I'm sure someone could correct me on what the top consistent sellers generally are.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

People cannot seriously be saying that the better version of a character is "time-displaced teenager that ignores 50 years of story" can they?

Murder the time-displaced X-men and feed their spirits into my nefarious soul-engine so that original Scott can come back and knock some sense into you. I want the Scott who did nothing wrong, not the Scott who did nothing wrong.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything interesting. Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Why can't Cyclops be an ideal student learning at the foot of the paragon of virtue and wisdom and make only the choices that are easily marketable, or small, meaningless and equally marketable mistakes?

Because that was his character 55 years ago and if you never allow that to develop or change then what's even the point of having it?

I know everytime a character does something I disagree with I write to the author to reset it back to the factory settings so that nothing ever changes and nothing interesting ever comes from anything.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You have to take AvX out of the canon when discussing things because it's so monumentally stupid that nothing made even remote sense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Donny "Shoulders of Giants" Cates.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I haven’t touched a marvel book in like half a year at this point - is Infinity Wars worth a look?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Is the character different from that god-awful solo series she had?

Edit: For clarity’s sake, I am talking about America Chavez <3

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 19, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've never read or seen any of the Conan franchise, is this a jumping on point?

Yup. I’ve only ever seen the movies (and, uh, the 90s cartoon) but I was immensely satisfied.

Echoing what X-O said, I knew Aaron was a no-brainer for this and I stull came out of this pleasantly surprised.

I’m now also going to be following Mahmud Asrar, however, because I’d no knowledge of him at all before and holy crap did he come out of the gate swinging.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Do people still like Ed McGuinness’ art? Because I want to enjoy Aaron’s Avengers run but the biggest obstacle to that so far has been his artwork. It just looks so incredibly dated. Getting through his pages feel like a slog. It’s not bad art by any means but when I saw we were transitioning back to him from Marquez my enthusiasm for picking the book up just bled out of me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

That new Avengers series better not mean the main Conan books move to modern Marvel Universe.

What difference would it even make?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I can only assume Asians and Asian-Americans feel about "Marvel's greatest Asian and Asian-American superheroes" the same way I feel whenever they trot out whatever forgotten baggage stereotype they last saddled Europe with the last time they wanted to go to Paris or Rome.

At least the characters from Future Fight feel like they were designed by somebody who was and was trying to appeal to Asian audiences (because y'know, they were). I would love for Europe to get a taste of that sometime. Oh look, it's Banshee. And Guillotine. Great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Probably something to the tune of "I sure as poo poo would love to get away from "Master of Kung Fu." Ah poo poo, Marvel want him on the cover again? With nunchucks too? Well, at least they don't want Sunfire in this one."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Covok posted:

I'm Puerto Rican. I dare you to literally name one Puerto Rican superhero. I mean I know all of them because there are a few. But I'm daring you name one. I'm not going to let you name sideways because he came out last year.

Dude before Miles and Robbie Reyes I could literally not name you one Latin American hero at all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Archyduchess posted:

This team originated in his Totally Awesome Hulk run and as far as I know it he wrote that story because he wanted to, and because he wanted in particular to write Asian-American Marvel characters hanging out and laughing and sharing common experiences instead of being white peoples' sidekicks or spin-offs. I don't think anybody was twisting his arm.

Pak inventing Asian heroes who's connection to Asia was their heritage instead of their gimmick or power-set should send a pretty huge message.

quote:

Ethnic representation and national representation are two different things. Kamala Khan isn't repping Pakistan, she's repping Jersey City, and a particular regional and religious slice of the immigrant experience.

She's pretty obviously doing all of the above. Kamala's Pakistani heritage is one of the more interesting beats of the character because it's done well. It's not Irish superhero Shamrock, who was the daughter of an IRA man, whose power was "the Luck of the Irish" and who suffered from alcholism.

quote:

It's part of why's a main character-- she lives in proximity to 90% of the other superheroes, she has US-centric social and educational lives that North American readers can related to-- and Red Dagger, her crush from Pakistan, who lives in Pakistan is a supporting character. It's because most Marvel comics don't take place in Pakistan, just as they don't take place in Ireland or France.

I'm aware of that. I don't think it's a lot to ask to not have fans from those areas represented by offensive stereotypes or ludicrously lame and outdated notions.

In a recent issue of Avengers T'Challa has called together what he calls "the greatest heroes the world has to offer" to Avengers HQ and it's a veritable who's that of 1950s stereotypes. We had Sunfire (Land-of-the-Rising-Sun-based fire hero who's uniform was the flag of the Imperial Japanese Navy), Ursa Major (alcoholic bear-man from Russia), Shaman (Canadian First Nations with a "magic medicine bag"), Arabian Knight (who has a magic carpet and scimitar), Sabra, the Collective Man (a Chinese hive-mind?) and of course, Captain Britain. That's pretty disheartening for a non-American fan to see being touted as "the greatest heroes the world has to offer", and more than a little embarassing.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2019

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Everyone knows that I used Pak's new book as a springboard to talk about representation of non-American heroes in general and not Pak specifically, right? I feel like I've been clear about this, even going so far as to cite Pak's creation of non-stereotyped heroes as a reaction to this problem.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think you might just be a bit thick.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Then to be clear, my problem is with lazy, outdated, stereotypical and offensive depictions of Marvel heroes outside of the United States and not with Greg Pak, who’s new book I used as a springboard to talk about the issue. His creations and the creations of non-comics writers included in that book afe a reaction to this very problem, which still exists in current high-profile books such as the recent Avengers issue.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Roth posted:

Didn't this same guy have the same argument about Coates' The Crew?

Me?

No, my problem within The Crew was it was slamming a bunch of unrelated heroes together based upon a sometimes strong, sometimes tenuous link to Harlem to coincide with Luke Cage season 1. That wasn’t a conversation about non-American representation of heroes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Aarons’s Avengers continues to be fun, enjoyable and very very superhero-y. I’m so glad he’s on this right now.

His Conan too, but drat I needed me some Avengers comics with this feel to it after Bendis and Hickman.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 6, 2019

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I’m thinking of getting into Uncanny X-Men based entirely on seeing classic-suit Cyclops on the cover and hearing that Logan and Scott are back running the show. Is this a good jumping in point?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

X-O posted:

Scott is not in classic suit in the book I'd imagine. The cover just had a bunch of Scotts. I think didn't it?

The cover this week as far as I can make out has Scott in his 90s costume with some images of old villains in front of him. Maybe it’s different because I’m using the app or something?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Was Infinity Wars worth reading? Because no part of it looked interesting to me but I'm hearing stuff about universe-resets and all kinda whosits. I guess Gamora got a sword? Like what even happened?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I know it's dumb but I think my favourite part of THE IMMORTAL HULK is reading Ewing's "The Scary Door"-esque lead-in every month on the digital store.

"Doctor Leonard Samson is back in town to see an old patient, but it's not Bruce Banner. Take a seat on the couch, THE IMMORTAL HULK, it's going to be quite a session."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Secret Wars itself always felt kinda rushed for me, particularly the back end. Stuff just starts kicking off after a ton of world-building with hardly any explanation or room to breath.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

site posted:

Not that slott would think this much about it, but I imagine Sue would have some pent up anger over the whole ”brainwashing me and my kids into being your family, exiling my brother to be a star, making my friend a living wall, and erasing my memory of my husband" thing

I might be misremembering this but I don't think that was Sue. Sue died when their Ark ruptured on the day of the final incursion, with Reed being the only member of the Feef to survive. My understanding was that Doom, with the help of Strange, created everything that wasn't in either of the Arks from his own memories, and then changed them to his liking.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Didn’t Loeb write that Red Hulk run where he was explicitly sexist and beat up a ton of female heroes (who just inexplciably started grouping up together) for no reason other than he was sexist? And that one run where he had him act like such an unlikeable dick that the next writer on the book spent arcs just giving Rulk his comeuppance for it?

I might be mashing some stuff together in my brain there but I remember Loeb touching Hulk books being a particularly bad time.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 3, 2019

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I'm enjoying the redesign so far - some of the cover variants they show in the Director's Cut really play with it. I'm enjoying the 80s music video vibe I'm getting from the hair and faceplate.

The framework seems to be picking up from Aaron's "Bigger, More Epic!" vibe too, except with maybe a bit more cosmic and a little less heavy-metal van. Eitherway I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I had no idea who or what "Knull" was, and having found out I'm just going to put it out of my mind.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

What’s the deal with Aaron’s final issue of Conan being delayed? Is it just down to him writing a ton of books and falling behind?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That is a very weird team line-up.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The characters and their relationships. They were all so cookie cutter written to fit in with the "lessons" and arcs that lay before them. I never felt like I was reading about real people, just plot devices and archetypes jawing at each other. The half assed one-shot Bendis wrote introducing the concept had more humanity than Hickman's entire run.

This was also why his Avengers run never clicked with me. The characters and themes he introduced just seemed so out of place from the universe he inherited. I'm getting the same vibe from the X- Men relaunch too.

The Magneto speech on economics from a few issues ago, for example, would've worked better if it was any other character giving it. But instead he gives it to Magneto, who's killed I don't know how many people through his fantastical godlike powers, and he's talking smugly about how economics is how we're gonna getcha.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

It's absolutely nuts how good Immortal Hulk has been for so long, and continues to be this issue.

Elsewhere I got caught up on Thor and ... meh. I still like his change in visual design but I imagine it's not long for this world as Aaron doesn't seem to be using it anywhere. Speaking of Aaron, I am continuing to enjoy his Avengers run but McGuinness' art is the opposite of exciting for me.

Plus his choice of big bad for the book has given me a ton of confusing questions rather than making me go "Oh my God, it's him!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I’m seriously scratching my head trying to figure out who these five designs are supposed to appeal to.