Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

quote:

How the hell is 2018 halfway over already
Really, where the hell did 2018 go and why do I feel like I haven't accomplished a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Any goons in the Baltimore area, specifically 21210, that could pick up and ship a set of wheels and tires? I'd pay you for the shipping and your time. Bought these almost a year ago thinking I was running up there shortly but that trip got cancelled. I don't want to stick the seller with shipping and he travels a lot so they haven't moved. Send me a PM if interested

He'd probably even show you his race car which in this case isn't even a euphemism for dick

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What car is this, some kinda Ford?

Climate buttons are very BMW, thinking E39

everdave posted:

Bed chat? Best $500 or less mattress? Any luck with these mattress startups? Lost the bed too lol she doesn’t even have room for it. I like a firm mattress love the Hyatt beds if anyone has been.
We got one of those foam mattresses and it's way better than I expected. King size frame and mattress came in just over $500 I think. Not sure what it was, wife bought it, but I think it was just the top rated one on Amazon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just get an electric mower, the Ryobi cordless I got for $300 is ten times better than any gas mower I've ever used and ten times easier to deal with.
I'm lucky in that the new yard doesn't have enough flat surface area to bother firing up the mower but when we move and I need to mow again I'll be going electric. Need to dig out, clean, get running and sell the mower I bought a couple years ago. We've been using a <$20 corded weed wacker every other week and it's way less hassle than the mower which we'd have to follow with the wacker anyway.

BS Heat talk: this new house isn't insulated worth poo poo and all the doors leak like crazy. Most of the windows are original, 1990, and also leak like crazy. AC is running way too much but new windows/doors isn't in the budget until maybe this winter. Doesn't help we're keeping the house at 75 instead of my usual 78 for the fluffy pup who basically lives on the AC vents.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

How's the attic? I saw a huge difference in both heating and cooling when I blew in an additional 18".

There's about a foot of loose spray cellulose insulation up there as well as ridge vents that aren't actually vented.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If you have blood under the nail, you will feel MUCH better if you trephinate the nail. We have electrocautery devices that make this easy, but a simply option is to heat up a paperclip over an open flame until it glows, and use it to melt a hole through the nail. You can also drill a hole through a fingernail with a sharp 18-gauge needle, but I'm going to guess you're more likely to have a paperclip around.

edit: obviously, a soldering iron would work great too.

Take a tiny, paperclip sized, drill bit spin it between your fingers (in the other hand) while applying very light pressure. It'll take a while but it'll go through and relieve the pain. I had to do that after smashing my finger at work except I waited a week or two. The stuff that came out...the smell :barf: cleaned out the break room.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Guys; I think I might have accidentally clicked a few buttons, and entered a bunch of information, and hit submit, and agree, and submit again.

My Dad picked his up the Tuesday after Father's Day and he's absolutely in love with it. I'm getting daily snaps of cool features, him charging and other stuff. It was kind of his retirement present to himself and from what I've seen he doesn't regret it one bit.

He also bought my old 1979 Ford Courier, it was delivered to him in WI last weekend. I'm trying to get him to take a picture of the unlikely couple.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

So it was a completely normal E36 BMW then

Fixed for accuracy. Buy a BMW, replace all that poo poo or it'll leave you sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I'm gonna do what my dad did, and build a house with a full daylight basement that can be the garage. But it'll be set up so that part of it can be converted to living space. So I'll have a 1400 sq foot house on a 1400 sq foot garage, that can easily be converted to a 2300 sq foot house with a 500 sq foot garage. Should make it easy to re-sale.
This is what we did and while it does work good next time we're going with a garage for parking the DD's and a completely separate garage for me. Planning on putting a half bath in the unfinished basement garage side in a year or two, will finish it when we go to sell.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm looking for a new place right now and my only deal-breaker requirement is a garage/shop with a 12' minimum ceiling. I don't care if the house is a RV on blocks or a single-room shack, but I need room for a hoist.
This is what we started looking for. Detached garages are rare around here in the price range we were looking. Every drat place with a nice detached had it built with 8-10' ceilings instead of a useful height. I looked into raising one building then we realized we were only buying the place for the garage...the location, house, lot, neighborhood, etc sucked.

GoodWood Festival of Speed is this weekend, I've had the live stream going in the background - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IvQwZZLVU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

All those new CPUs. Intel sent me a free Pentium replacement because the one I bought first couldn't do math correctly. :colbert:

Funny story...All the CPUs in Titan were early batch that couldn't do math correctly. We got to replace all of them, then we got to replace all the DIMMs for another issue

Larrymer posted:

Mine has been sitting for a bit. After BOTW, there hasn't been much worth playing.
I'm at the final divine beast before going to face Gannon. I play for a week or two then get distracted for a month. Pre-ordered Dead Cells since I was going to buy it for PC anyway...hope it's good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:same:

to be fair they're the best looking steelies. (someone please try to prove me wrong on this, I'm open to suggestions)

I'm partial to my real racing wheels

That said soft 8's are rad. I just bought something extremely stupid and am probably picking up a set of the wheels on the left for track duty

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lovely work laptop prepare to laugh at my :mediocre: - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9928561

I should hook up the simulator rig and a) start using it again, b) run benchmarks

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

tte
I drove one of Elon Musk's fraudcars today. Overall, it's really nice. VERY smooth. Nicely set up. The screen is a bit overwhelming, but I ignored it with basic driving.

The one thing to watch -- its regenerative braking slows the car substantially. Enough so that it'd be easy to rear-end someone driving one, since it's "putting on the brakes" harder than a lot of people do, without ever triggering the brake lights. That seems dangerous.

Overall, though, it's a really nice car.

Dad's put ~1500 miles on his already and no complaints that I know of.

Moving/Junk Chat: We sold, donated or threw away a ton of stuff before we moved. We still filled a 18' u-haul truck 1.5 times plus several full trips with the VW and her Tacoma. Then we somehow found more poo poo to throw/sell/donate after we moved. The garage is still a disaster with boxes of stuff everywhere.

Way off topic: anyone ever built a trailer from scratch? Need something light (<500lb) to haul 1000lb and not sure if I should buy a trailer built to spec or see what I can cobble together. Might be better off buying something used that's bigger than needed and cutting it down to size. Unless a used Aluma pops up, man those are nice but :homebrew:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Nitrospazz I built a harbor freight trailer and then stalled at the axles
As I didnt have any grease and now it’s sitting there rusting in the sun. Need to get on that.
You're around Knoxville aren't you? I have several tubs of grease, come grab some grease and BS sometime.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dadchat: both my kids are still alive and that's the best thing ever? Ones steroid dependant for life and we're going to have fun with the school before he goes back in September, also anti-vax bullshit just became personal as he shouldn't be in contact with unvaccinated kids if possible, despite being fully vaccinated. Also we all have to learn fatigue management and hope how to give an emergency injection.
Weekly/daily shots aren't too bad in the scheme of things. Vary location and make it part of the routine. As for fatigue management afternoon naps have been a life saver for me in that department. I'm all sorts of broken so feel free to PM on shots, fatigue and anything else. On the upside of the anti-vax stuff, it's a great way to eliminate stupid people from your life. Oh you're kid isn't vaccinated...guess our kids and therefore we can never hang out immuno suppressed here

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Or with parents who take their meds. But for real though, when the parent is serious like this, we listen up and pay close attention. Well, basically anything with a legit doctor's note...
I had a LOT of medical issues growing up and missed a ton of school as well as needed a fair amount of allowances. We/I never encountered a teacher that wouldn't bend over backwards to work with my unique situation. This is even true for college where I missed chunks of time due to sickness, surgery or complications. If there is a legitimate need, which there is in your kids case cakesmith handyman, I can't see anyone giving you trouble.

everdave posted:

Girl at my bank who is very high up asked me if I would be interested in her best friend. Now I didn't even know she had my phone #. Same age as me, but has two iver 18 kids. Very pretty. But this isn't a girl this is a woman. What the hell do I do? We have been messaging but wha the hell do I do? I was with my ex over a decade. All we did before she got pregnant and we got married was get drunk and go to concerts. What do 40 year olds do?

And then...my ex girlfriend before my wife is emailing me and wants to hang out. And man not to be crass but we didn't really do a lot of stuff with our clothes on.
You're a free man, have fun but be safe. What do 40 year olds do? Probably same as 30 year olds but more chill. Movies, concerts, dinner, etc. Be upfront about just getting out of a decade plus relationship, they'll understand.

Completely unrelated: I hadn't realized how cheap it can be to ship a car across the country. If anyone is in the market for a car over say $15k it's worth it to look nationwide. Just insist on a PPI at a shop of your choice before any money is exchanged, even better go see the car and take it to the PPI.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

I mean, for argument's sake, how cheap? I remember being surprised how cheap it was to ship a pallet...
503 miles one way, insured
<$400 for open trailer
<$500 for enclosed

Similarly a quote for bumfuck middle of nowhere Montana near the Canada border to TN was <$1k for enclosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

There is a fantastic article about a retirement community in Florida. The stds are like epic levels. They just bang each other’s brains out.
My old boss moved there after he retired, says the place place is a big orgy.

everdave posted:

Word. If I could use like online dating I think I’d do great but I have reason to suspect I have many haters trolling (meaning either ex or her friends) and I am not prepared to deal with the rage if she finds me dipping into new girls. But I got to get over this poo poo. Hell this is my town at the County clerk they told me if you want to ruin her day don’t tell her to bring the divorce papers when she tries to transfer this title.
Download Tinder, have fun

• Locked thread