Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Heading bush for three weeks tomorrow. Cant loving wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I really cant complain in the slightest bout my results, considering the most recent thing i've thrown in the case is the samsung SSD.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9939143

That 2600K tho... Holy poo poo did i win the silicone lottery with that. It came in the box at 3.4ghz, spent the first 5 years of its life at 3.8ghz on the reference cooler and now ive got a closed loop water cooler on it its spent the last few years at 4.2ghz rock solid. And it turbo clocks up to around 5 without flinching either!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You dont even need to MOVE to acquire a boatload of poo poo. I'm doing the "I cant find anything or fit my loving car inside" clean of the garage this weekend and I've already thrown out about a wheelie bin of poo poo thats just "appeared" since I last did this about 10 weeks ago!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Three days later....

Its clean, but theres still a giant pile of boxes that I need to get rid of, but recycling bin day isnt until NEXT week, so i'll have to hang onto them to see how much space I have until then, then wander the street looking for half empty recycle bins to get rid of the rest.

First time in 6 months that both cars fit in there tho!

And I got a "Free" milwaukee grinder from the bin at work cos it wouldnt chooch any more. Protip to the apes posing as my coworkers- When the grinder suddenly slows down and makes a funny smell, lay off the loving go button BEFORE it stops moving completely.

From what I can work out, that tiny tiny rear bearing failed and got hot. That melted the holder in the plastic clamshell, which grabbed onto the knackered bearing. Thats resistance put a heap of load into the motor, which was already working hard doing the cutting and its caused the brush holder to get so drat hot it melted into a blob, which stuck to the epoxy on the commutator bars and ripped the entire loving thing to pieces.

Only thing I managed to salvage from the whole mess was the spindle you attach the disks too, cos its an AU delivered grinder its an M14 thread, vs the US delivered grinder I bought off the internet that uses 5/16 pitch threads, so none of the wire cups or those kind of attachments sold here will fit on it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The only complaint I have about it is that I didnt have the room to make it a 3 bay garage and make it with 4.5M walls so I could stick a hoist in the middle of it.

I COULD put a hoist in it now, but theres no way I could park two vehicles in there as well and that..... would not go down well with the missus.

And those portable lifts are scary expensive

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Quick Jacks would be nice, but they make NOTHING with enough lift height to make the cruiser hang wheels (or enough load rating... their biggest set is 3100kg... That car probably weighs closer to 3500...)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I managed to accidentally teach my mates 2.5yr old son how to swear on our big trip in the desert.

Sitting in the Dalhousie campgrounds trying to cook breakfast, even tho its windy and dusty as poo poo, and this group of knobheads decided that they needed to parade their shitbox utes through the campground instead of going out the main exit. They drive past half our group, who called em tossers, so one wanker decided to redline his engine past the rest of us kicking up a shitload of dust. Im halfway through cracking eggs into the pan and had to catch myself from hurling an egg at him, and didnt even think as I shouted "gently caress OFF!" at him.

Then 2 seconds later, the little one shouts out, at the same knobhead "gently caress OFF!"

Im a good influence :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive just been to see the physiotherapist bout my shoulder bursitis. Turns out that its actually my back thats totally ruined and he was working on loosening up some joints. Ive got a reasonably high pain tollerance and he just about had me in tears.

And I go back to work tomorrow after a month off with work duty restrictions. Thats gonna be a fun conversation!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Happy loving Birthday to me.

Changed the oil in the landcruiser today. Was tipping the drain pan full of old oil out and noticed something shiny.

So cut the old filter apart and went digging through it

gently caress. I think its a big end bearing. Guess im pulling a motor soon. At least I got to it BEFORE the knock knock jokes started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You Am I posted:

What is it with current Toyotas and big end bearings? They went in my dad's Hilux, even though two Toyota dealerships said there was nothing wrong with the engine.

Mines a legacy of overheating it- Its already had one set of big end bearings thrown into it before, but the crank wasnt the healthiest then, so no real surprise it let go

HOPEFULLY I can get out of it for less than $5K. I dont need to touch the injection pump because it should still be good at 350K kms, but im gonna get the turbo overhauled (and hiflowed cos who doesnt like 30psi of boost?)

Gonna be a bastard to work on tho- the long block weighs close to 400kg.

• Locked thread