Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well the whole reason I even considered doing it was an experienced contractor told me I don't need them, and I posted here in addition because of the engineers that post in AI and was told the same thing so I dunno.

I'm gonna call the contractor back and see what he says, until then I'm leaving the last one in for now lol.

That's loving insane. Maybe it was some slapped on later addition to deflect rain and they built it the dumbest way possible? Keep us posted.

Unrelated, it's bizarre seeing twitter beef between major corporate bigwigs.

https://twitter.com/StevenArmstrong/status/1013522801834254337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I got a free tv that my sister was throwing out, serendipity!

...except it seems to be having issues. It'll be fine for a few minutes, then these bars of discoloration show up before it goes into static. Kinda looks like old analog static, but distributed in horizontal bars, the sound still plays perfectly, and the screen fades to black during commercial breaks/scene transitions.

Does this sound like a capacitor issue or something more involved?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Trust me I'd love to do that but some counties (like mine) don't allow it, but then put water restrictions during a drought so then all the grass/greenery you're required to have loving dies. I've got about a third of my back yard covered in crushed shell and I'd love to cover my entire front yard with it with just a few maintenance free palm trees and I'd be living the dream.

Cursory googling says they have to allow it. This law seems to back that up, dunno if you feel like starting a fight but it's a start.

quote:

(b) A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land or create any requirement or limitation in conflict with any provision of part II of this chapter or a water shortage order, other order, consumptive use permit, or rule adopted or issued pursuant to part II of this chapter.
(c) A local government ordinance may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land.

IANAL but that sure sounds like they can't restrict what you can or can't plant. The "Florida-friendly landscaping guidelines" are kinda vague, maybe deliberately; you might not be able to go full gravel, but ripping up the grass and putting in less thirsty plants should be explicitly fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If the main issue is Supercharger access, I could see that being a lot harder to spoof. You'd have to somehow hack the car to output the ID of a non-blacklisted car when you plug in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ratbert90 posted:

And if Tesla made a gas powered car, and controlled the gas stations, they could also say "No, your un-certified car can't use our premium gas, feel free to use any other gas station though!"

Except in this analogy their cars run on unleaded that only they sell, while every other station only has leaded.

No one else is building fast charging stations, so by denying access to their stations they're removing a capability that was a significant selling point of the car to begin with. Even if there were another option, if Tesla's willing to do this I have no doubt they're willing to hard-code the cars to only work at Supercharger™ stations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you reelly wanna be a hipster you gotta get one of these, cassettes are for normies.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aye and the best thing about it is the quality of sound you get from a reel to reel is superior to virtually every other form of physical media. So you can be a hipster with actual standards.

Now we just gotta wait for the dudes at Mordhaus to perfect their water recording technology.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

But AC/DC's Big Balls actually is just about formal dance events!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DO YOU LIKE

MY CAAAAAAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGFhEQGYK0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

My wife is hanging out with her friends out in the boonies today and was told about this home going on the market.

The house is 1600 sq ft, the garage space is 1400.

So when do you move in?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holy gently caress, got a Google notification that the new Tool album is finally out, year loving redeemed! ...wait, who the hell is 'TOOL$'? Oh, some shithead soundcloud rapper you say? Cool, just the thing I care about!

Never had such severe mood whiplash in my entire life.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

I love the disconnect that academia has with the reality of eating and having a place to live/sleep.
Or, for that matter, being able to afford an education at all, nowadays.

Just remember that universities in general started out as places for the wealthy nobles to get sophisticated while the peasants supported their estate and the pieces all fall into place. Despite our best efforts (and we have come a long way in making them more egalitarian) they're still full of vestiges of that origin like this.

See also: unpaid internships.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

Everybody dies, that is about the way possible way to go. :(

Not emptyquoting.

Take care of yourself and the rest of your family, Sims. You all need each other.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A couple of years ago I was offered the general manager position at the resort I work at, with a raise of twice what I was making at the time. I declined for that exact reason, and because all the previous managers were basically the owner's bitch and whipping post. I guess i don't like money enough lol.

ugh, loving millenials

No joke, I had to get a ride home from an auto shop's manager earlier this year, he spent most of the ride ripping on his lazy son who declined a 60hr/week position making something like $200k, when said son is already making $120k with much more reasonable hours, and is also married to a wife who made a not-insignificant salary. Lazy because "well he's making a shitload now, but if he gave up his personal life and worked a little harder he could be making even more. I just don't understand it."

I smiled and nodded since I was in this dude's vehicle at the time, but... well, safe to say by the time I'm ever faced with a choice like that, I'll have kinda finished life. Like, what's left at that point? You did it, you can retire in like a decade if you save smart.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blep

See if you can find my bottleneck :v: Although I hadn't realized just how bad the graphics card market, that's a three year old card and it's still on sale for the same list price it was back then? I only got it in December '15 because it was on clearance direct from EVGA for like $150, $200 in 2018 for a 2GB card is ludicrous.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah when they're sleeping :v:

When they're what now?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

NEW BINKY TONIGHT

God dammit you can't just say things. Words hurt!

Unrelated but as I was digging through their twitter with false hope, someone in one of the reply chains linked this and uhhhh... WHY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtEAMwcWI4

"Why make it simple, when complicated will do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I forgot about patreon, oh poo poo

Only two months, things are speeding up!

• Locked thread