Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can derive enjoyment anytime the northstar v8 causes pain for somebody else because gotdrat do I hate that loving engine in any variety (L37 LD8 idgaf). Was it a hail damage car?

E: the first three seconds are whenever I hear of a free car but also it's got a northstar in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0TQjBRcFo

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes a bespoke manufacturer versus the largest manufacturer in the world. Which emoji is the masturbating one again?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's also true, but a completely separate topic not related to the Ford guy furiously masturbating as he emails his social media manager.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A few months back 14 inch picked up a long-sought-after stereo for me during his dental trip. I won't get to deep into the details of how much I wanted it because I'm a selfish prick.

About 20 minutes after powering it on and having it run, the it ate its bridge rectifier and a few random PSU transistors on the secondary power supply. Since then, it's been sitting in the corner until I had time to work on it.

This past week was midterms for my first (of five) semesters, and this upcoming week only has two classes as a kind of refractory period, so I decided to open it back up. My supplies are limited, but I do have a few baggies of generic poly capacitors and standard 1N4007 diodes. Like AvE says, if it's hosed you can't gently caress it any more, so why not take a shot at fixing it?

This area got a bit hot when it self-destructed, and took out the traces on the bottom of the board

I've got a few sins to atone for, add this to the pile

As well as my temporary heatsink for the improper transitor

Funny enough it's running right now just fine with that exploded diode (that broke on my first resurrection attempt), but the radio sound output is poo poo. I should probably replace that. But otherwise its running right now, and that's better than not at all. I am not ashamed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turns out that busted diode was on the lighting circuit for the add-on CD unit, meaning the button lights flicker a bit when it has higher load, like changing CDs. No biggie, gonna throw a big cap on there and play it as is.

E: have it set up in stress test mode right now. Gonna let it chooch for awhile while watching something with BT headphones.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got my TV running through my childhood stereo, watching GitS, eating mug cake, and am going through puberty.

Feels like 2004 again but with better resolution.

(Also I found a correct power transistor but I'm going to run the current one until/if it blows, already have belts coming in for the tapedecks)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 2, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wrap the base in duct tape just to be sure :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got a viair, the 55P I think, in the trunk of my car along with a super long 12v heavy duty extension cable AKA jumper cables. Instead of road flares I have a 3-pack of those pop up triangles, and I've also stuffed in there a small floor jack and the appropriate socket on a breaker bar.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been looking for cheap replacements for the neon bulbs in my retro tech stuff (tape players, flip clocks, etc), and I think I finally found some

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My 1972 super beetle had that weird proto-ECU-style system that was more "taps to every circuit so you could hook it up to a big multimeter machine and see what's wrong." Of course it's almost literally double the wiring to the entire car, so when I did my first major work to it I ripped most of those wires out to simplify. Think "20 gauge wiring parallel to all of the real wiring in the vehicle."

After doing that, it wouldn't start. Turns out a lot of the original wiring had corroded away or been cut, and a few of the connections in the not-ECU plug were the only thing keeping the car running :v:.

IIRC it also had a differential voltage circuit in the "BRAKE" bulb on the dashboard: there were two brake light switches, one on each braking circuit. If one switch was tripped but the other wasn't, the differential in voltage potential would cause this bulb on the dash to light, indicating a brake circuit failure. Through some magic trickery involving a specifically 1.5W 12v bulb and a calibrated resistor, if that bulb was either lit or burnt out/removed, the engine wouldn't crank.

I made it my mission for like two solid weekends to pull the little proto-PCB out that housed the brake light and figure that poo poo out, because I wanted to simplify the dashboard. Even with probing I couldn't deactivate it, so I ended up soldering an appropriate power resistor in there, conformal coating the entire thing, and using some 3M adhesive to mount it behind the dash.

Also black was 12v hot and brown was 12v switched. Yay pre-standards.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 6, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Breathalyzer/rental car lojack disabler thing you mean?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus Christ it's still like walking into a furnace outside. At 10:30. At night.

I tried riding my bike tonight, like I do most nights after sundown. Only made it 4 miles out before packing it in.

I should have been dissuaded when the doorknob was hot, on the inside. On a north facing door.

The only class tomorrow is at 1330 and I'm contemplating driving, even though it's literally 0.35 miles away. gently caress it's hot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did my 3rd face laser session and it's simultaneously better and worse. Better because there are now less overall hairs for the laser/light (it's a combo) to hit, meaning less energy gets dumped into the hair follicle. Worse because now we're cranking the energy level up a bit (from like 2.8ms to 3ms dwell time) to start getting the less-dark hairs, and because fewer hairs means more hot spots instead of a more spread out burn. So instead of having an overall red face it's spots of really deep red, like rosacea or something. They tell you to "avoid any sun exposure" after the treatment and I just kind of slowly looked out the office window into the parking lot, at my car parked at the furthest spot I could see :v:

It's even worse now, a couple of hours later, but I'm too :effort: to take a photo in bed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Memento posted:

Everyone should be very thankful to our scientific forefathers who went "drat it's hot-as-balls in here, I wonder if I could rig something up with copper coils and ethyl alcohol and make it not as hot-as-balls anymore". I love this quote from Ben Franklin after he and a chemist friend of his got a mercury thermometer down to a temperature of -14°C

That's a little grim there Benji my man.

Wasn't A/C actually a byproduct of "man, we can't keep the humidity low enough for this color printing to work right, let's make a thing that takes moisture away. Oh poo poo this exhaust side is hot and the other side is cold"?

E: actually that was industrial A/C, I guess BF was really there on the initial documented concept. Though IIRC ancient Egyptians had evaporative cooling figured out with special building designs.

STR posted:

I... think this is the first time I've actually seen your face. Those burns look a bit painful, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I wouldn't mind lasering my face, but for different reasons (I loving hate shaving, but also hate facial hair..)

This is how my face normally looks:

I've only started this "selfie" thing recently, when someone in the fabgoon thread pointed me out to the selfies and chill thread. I used to vehemently avoid cameras, to the point where I volunteered to be the "unit historian" in any army unit I was a part of, even when that position didn't officially exist. It meant I could run around (out of formation, side bonus) behind the camera. There is only one not-official/ID photo of me during those six years, and it was because I was forced to take a photo of myself and send it to my family on the drill sergeant's order.

Lasering takes awhile, there's a reason they sell it in packs of six sessions, spread 4-6 weeks apart. Hairs have 3 stages in their growth cycle: Anagen (actively growing), Catagen (still growing but winding down, like fall), and Telogen (resting/shedding). Anagen is the longest (1-5 years), Catagen is the shortest (2-4 weeks), and Telogen is the middle, up to 4 months. Some hairs start regrowing after telogen, but others (like arm hair) fall out every telogen cycle, limiting the max length. If you pull a hair out and the follicle/bulb is surrounded by a gel, it's most likely in the Anagen phase.

Laser/IPL can only destroy hair follicles in the Anagen phase. The light concentrates energy into the follicle, heating it up and damaging the follicle and hopefully the capillary that feeds it, shutting off bloodflow permanently. Sometimes they recover, but usually they don't. However, hairs in the catagen or telogen cycles for whatever reason don't get destroyed nearly as much and refused to die, like shooting a drunk person that doesn't know they should be dead.

A lot of people say they have "patchy" beards, and this is absolutely true. This is my chin about 3 weeks after the first treatment, showing how a few spots are almost totally gone but there is still a lot of growth around it. This wasn't the operator's error, it was simply that patch that was growing at the time when I had it done. Six sessions usually gets about 85-95% of the hair permanently, but most people have to go back six months to a year later just to catch those stragglers, and almost everyone will have to go back at least once within two years due to how long hairs zapped in the telogen phase can take to "wake up" and repair. This is why the FDA doesn't classify laser as "permanent hair removal," but "permanent hair reduction." There has to be a 100% chance that someone won't have to go back within two years for follow-ups for it to be "removal." The only treatment that can do that is electrolysis, where they use an electric needle in each and every pore to burn the follicle right dead, anagen/catagen/telogen phase doesn't matter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I die of sweat drowning at 78 when sleeping, but 76 is completely fine. Across houses and AC solutions, all the same. Even six years in I guess I still have a bit of acclimation.

I'd kill for an affordable electric bill if I could have 69 though. Haven't pulled out a jacket most of these years, even in the 40s outside unless it's raining. Cold is good everywhere except working on plumbing and car plumbing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A $180 mower you can afford is better than a $400 one you can't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can confirm I've done the soldering iron thing to my nail before. Sometimes it's the only way to get poo poo done with the soldering iron already out and the drill bits packed away under three heavy boxes.

It hurts so much but feels so good.

Also aaaahhh what is happening

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In lighter news, my new tape came in

Much less exciting than the other news, but it's pretty damned quaint. Even has a holo album art card.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I took the restrictor washer out of my shower head and it's 100% like this scene from Seinfeld, but instead of a laugh track it's me grumbling because in the act of removing it I ended up shattering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMITcQUe-9M&t=33s

This is my life now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spog posted:

Ask an expert.

Nice

The Locator posted:

Excellent reminder. I used my spare a couple months ago and forgot to order a new one. Off to Amazon!

Whenever I have a spare cap, the AC runs fine. The moment I toss/lose/use it, I start noticing the air handler grumbling a bit on startup, getting just a little reluctant to spin up smoothly...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sketchers has a corner on the nursing and chef shoe market, and therefore many options ranging from "beach lounger" to "church shoe," with varying quality. They're one of the companies where you get what you pay for, both good and bad. I can also recommend a lot of the shoes on Shoes for Crews as pretty okay quality for the price. They're all 100% oil slip resistant and some surprising models have things like steel toes and laces. They're pretty great. I recommend the Holden if you want something thinner that gives you a lot of feel.

QuarkMartial posted:

Wait, I thought MGS was having a kid. Is that like... I don't know the right word for it. But like, MGS' correct birth certificate?

Thanks! No kids, chance of huntington's so I had a vasectomy almost five years ago. Well, two, because the first one failed (ask me how I know). I've still got a ton of way to go (including about the same planned reduction from 130kg to 70-80kg goal, I'm only down 10 so far two months in), but I'm 100% happier. Unknown chronic depression transformed into a known, tackleable problem, and that's a huge step.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Just sitting here in the dark hoping that my power is restored before it gets miserable in the house from heat. A nasty thunderstorm went through about 90 minutes ago and wiped out power to what looks like 25000 customers in my area.

Luckily the storm also dropped the temperature by 20 degrees, but since the storm departed it's come back up a couple degrees. Still shouldn't be too terrible until the sun comes back up in the morning, and the outage map is claiming restoration ETA of 12:30. Hopefully it's accurate or even conservative!

I saw that storm. Scottsdale/Tempe, right? I was on the tempe canal riding towards the lightning, then watched it drift west. It was an insane amount of lightning.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why is it raining? This is Mesa.

Also I had an ultimately successful trip at the* social security office today. Yelled at somebody, which is something I try very hard not to do, but it worked out in the end.

*by "the" I mean "the third one," because the first two didn't do what I needed them to do, even though they advertise as such. Made it just in time to sneak to class.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Rain?

I watched it go down on my Blink camera and hauled rear end home. It was still bone dry and sunny at work near the airport, but clearly a microburst at home.

Hot drat. Other than the lightpole, is your house/stuff OK?

In lighter news, before the hole to hell opened up in the sky, the mailman delivered some packages. One of them was huge, bigger than anything I've ordered recently.

:catstare:

Yes, I'll admit, last week I ordered the Liquid Swords cassette, because it's a classic and I wanted a new cassette to mess around with. I think I paid like $15-16 total for it, and even posted a pic earlier in the thread. I guess they're having some issues with their order department or something because this was all addressed to me, but I have no charges or anything on any cards or accounts I have, so I think it may have been a duplicated order or something.

I mean, I'll take it, of course.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, you telling me you shine a UV light in your garage and it's going to look trippy? Sucks but also *life event*.

I biked to class, not thinking to look up the weather because who does that in Arizona, it's never been an issue before. Whoops. At least a buddy gave me a ride home and let me throw the bike into the bed of his pickup.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There was a Starbucks under construction across the street. It's a pile of sticks.

Good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:yeshaha:

Just invest in dehumidifiers. It's not humid enough to warrant their regular installation, but not dry enough to prevent mildew any time you neglect anything. I plan on moving back to the NW (PNW/INW...somewhere that's not N. Idaho) after settling into a career.

Rhyno posted:

what the christ is that

Olive! posted:

wait a minute... I know that dance.

e: someone tell me that's bboom bboom and I haven't outed myself as trash for nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQGRg8XBnB4&t=145s
(2:25 if it doesn't pop)
We are all trash, embrace it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can't pump your own gas in Oregon unless you live in a small county I guess? Always freaked me out going through there.

Beautiful state with a shameful history that they're thankfully kind of fixing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I killed my former self and that's enough murdering for me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spog posted:

To be fair, they weren't just cutting off some guy out of spite: the car was a wreck that had been written off and an amateur had banged it back together. You could argue that allowing that to connect to one of their high-powered chargers would be a safety risk - not just to the driver, but to those around him.

Uhh, from the article that I read, it was a Tesla service department themselves that did the service on it, but they decided not to charge him. Or did I have that backwards?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

It had previously been hobbled back together, the shoddy repair job failed during a road trip, and then they brought it to a service center.

If you believe the owner's accounts, the repair was a door and fender panel, and the warranty work at the shop was unrelated to that. So I don't see where you're making that link between hobbled and failed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That may be true, but unrelated to the work he brought it into the shop as, which is what you claimed :psyduck:.

quote:

It had previously been hobbled back together, the shoddy repair job failed during a road trip, and then they brought it to a service center.

All I want is consistency in discussion. I'm not pro-tesla here, but the circlejerk is in full swing on both sides and it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress your RAM, Chrome would eat it anyway :black101:

okay yes it was an extremely poorly thought out avatar

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 11, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yep. CV axle bit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm working on it, but am bad at gifs. Currently listening to podcasts and surfing for ideas. Kinda bought the current one in a euphoric whirlwind and lowtax apparently needs the :10bux:

The way the V8 layout engine renders pages I can totally see now how it could only load half until you scroll up or down. Forehead slap moment.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, looks like an inner-end tripod joint outer cup.

MGS: if that's how you cut together a gif, I really hope you're not DIYing any surgical aspects of this endeavour.

The Door Frame posted:

I can't see MGS' new avatar on mobile, I don't even know who else it's supposed to sync up with. I only see the black thumb badge

Badges are avatars, I cheated and made the badge the avatar and put the animation below, making it what showed up on mobile.

I tried it again moving the badge to the bottom, with nothing as the avatar, but turns out that the break/line is inserted between the first two images, whatever they are. Welp.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 11, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
CI I hope it goes well. Life pours sometimes.

Lighter stuff, I found these at goodwill today:

But, not hipster enough. We have to go deeper. Good news is, I found a USB drive I needed, so we can.

There we go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Memento posted:

I was having a conversation with the chief geophysicist at my old company once who was cursing the fact that the last laptop he owned that had a floppy drive had finally failed, and that meant that the (old but otherwise perfectly fine) gravity meter he had was now no good, because there was no way to make it speak to a modern computer. I turned around to my work PC, and googled "usb 3.5" drive ebay". While he was watching me, I bought one for $11.00, with free shipping, to be delivered to the office in under a week.

Him: "How the gently caress do they still make those things? You literally just saved me eighty thousand dollars."
Me: "Well I assume they still make them because I literally just saved you eighty thousand dollars by buying one."

This is pretty much the reason this one exists, I think. The sticker on the top says "HP" but on the back it says it was inspected by Technischer Überwachungsverein, or TÜV, which is a super-strict German inspection bureau. They do things like fire systems, automobiles, and also do medical devices for almost the entirety of Europe. My partner on the ambulance for 3 years grew up in Germany, and convinced me that they're a super-rigid and expensive company to certify through. They're the sole thing holding up the entire Berlin BER airport debacle, for instance.. It also says "DECAL-2," which I assume means that this same drive is/was made for many different companies for backwards compatibility/legacy reasons. The manufacture date is 2014.

The albums, which are a mix of MIDI and hyper-compressed MP3s, are

The vaporwave scene is weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Will be." :lol: They've already delivered more than 10k cars.

E: my bad, 20k cars.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 12, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Not a single one of those have been, or even *could have been* $35,000. That model is not available yet.

e: f, b.

That's what I was implying. They've delivered 20k and none of them are 35k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The V8 chrome rendering engine only loads so far up and below what you're viewing, so if you have to scroll to my post it will render the gifs starting at different times based on how fast you're scrolling.

I debated changing it (and spent the $5) to this, but I changed it back.

Those images are already on the SA server.

• Locked thread