Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

lovely OP. And it was better than any of the rest of us did. Good job, thread poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Captain Crabsticks posted:

she be lookin crisp now, for 935$ total invested including transfer fees. I look like a pimp/grandpa driving around but i'm to comfy to care

( i could make a similar post about an evo 9 that was abandoned outside since 2008 i did last year, with a lot of pics. should I?)

:whatup:

I'm a sucker for old Cadillacs. I had a cheap '93 STS and recently an '02 Deville, and currently an '05 Escalade.

The Deville/DTS/DHS are severely underrated. The Northstar worries are overblown, they make a ton of power and are comfy as your living room. There's no down side to a cheap loving Cadillac. Nice buy.

Edit: Here's the Deville. It was a good car.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 1, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

also its amazing to see what kind of poo poo houses people try to sell for 500k+ in the seattle area

Pffft... look what $1M gets you in San Jose: https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1375-bird-avenue--2

Captain Crabsticks posted:

Thanks, I want an escalade like yours so loving bad. I've been messaging people with beat up escalades on craigslist because I want a big cadillac, but this one is almost done and i want something i could more reasonably ghetto turbo. I just saw this one in the junkyard, you need any parts? I'm pretty sure the drivetrain is good. i might take the grille to put on my wall as it looks like my car's

That looks like an '06? LQ9 is a great motor. It'd be SO much better hooked up to a non-stupid transmission.

The only think I need on that car is the last "E" from the "ESCALADE" on the passenger door... mine's missing the top arm. If you can grab it, I'll pay a couple bucks for it!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

already got a buyer offer on our house after only 4 days on the market!

Congratulations! (But that means you priced it too low! :D )

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

It is almost over. I will probably pay a year of stupid insane alimony and she will get the ruined Prius and we will be done. Will hear in a few minutes supposedly

Good luck! I ended up losing $10k to my wife (whose parents were worth $17M+) with my first marriage... best $10k I've ever spent.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slothrop posted:

It’s SO worth investing in a small 12v compressor. I had a jam exactly like yours that spurred me to pick one up. I haven’t needed it yet but I’ve got some friends out of pickles that would have otherwise got expensive.

Yup, and instead of a $$$ tow, I'd put the donut on and drive a mile on a flat donut.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Front tire, on a FWD car.

Gonna blow your mind here... front tires fit on the back. :mmmsmug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCbe1kmvFo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What makes you think it couldn't handle your needs lol, it's the same as any of those other push mowers the difference being it has an electric motor which is much better :confused:

A half-acre lot is going to be more than one battery for most, if not all, of the current electric mowers. That necessitates either another $$$ battery purchase, or mowing half the lawn, waiting for the single battery to charge, then finishing the yard. Neither option is that great.

I want an electric mower, but I think they are 1 generation away from being truly ready for large-suburban-yard use.

I've said that they will be ready when you see DeWalt/Milwaukee/etc adding them to their ecosystem. And at that point, I'd be all-in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

And its worth about $1000 in the state its in, and you KNOW they did something to it.

Yeah, that's got problems everywhere you look. That trunk punch in itself pretty much ruins the trunklid, neverminding the wing that's gone. Hard pass on that one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

BS Heat talk: this new house isn't insulated worth poo poo and all the doors leak like crazy. Most of the windows are original, 1990, and also leak like crazy. AC is running way too much but new windows/doors isn't in the budget until maybe this winter. Doesn't help we're keeping the house at 75 instead of my usual 78 for the fluffy pup who basically lives on the AC vents.

How's the attic? I saw a huge difference in both heating and cooling when I blew in an additional 18".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ROFLburger posted:

The hole on the bottom right is where the lock sits if that makes a difference

I know. And it looks like the lock was punched out by someone that had no access to a key. Looks like it's dented in, not just a lock cylinder removal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Electric mower talk: I have a ryobi that takes either 2 batteries or a cord, 4ah batteries aren't even half done after 200m^2, small gas motors belong in scooters and Italian hatchbacks.

I've got about 1200 square meters and that's a bit less than everdave's lot. Electric mowers are great for tiny lots, but aren't ready for yards.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:laugh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

There's about a foot of loose spray cellulose insulation up there as well as ridge vents that aren't actually vented.

Are the soffits vented or gable vents or something? Gotta give the heat somewhere to go. If the soffits are vented, a powered ventilator works, too. I've got about 30" of blow-in, vented soffits and ridge vents. Still hot as hell up there, but the insulation keeps most of it out of the living space.

everdave posted:

Also as of 9 this morning the state of TN says I am officially divorced.

:coal:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also aaaahhh what is happening

Nice!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

All appliance warranties work this way, only covering the part itself. You may be able to find a contractor who doesn't charge for filling out the paperwork, but weekends cost extra...

On the other hand, if it is just a capacitor, that's an easy DIY. The only problem for me is finding one locally. I've just mail ordered them before to have on hand when they inevitably take a poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

No worries, I actually felt bad because I left you hanging on it. Now I can enter financial ruin on the 929 with a clear conscious.

The 929 was a quick, garbage response to Acura. Absorb that and allow it to sate your desire for that non-remarkable car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

....Que? The 929 name aka Luce or Sentia has been around a looooong time before Acura?

wikipedia posted:

The Sentia continued for one more generation, but export of the 929 to North America stopped in 1995 with the front-wheel drive Mazda Millenia remaining at the top of the company's lineup. The 929 was withdrawn from North America due to a lack of interest in non-luxury brand Japanese imports of this size, evidenced by the withdrawal of the Toyota Cressida in 1992. For North America, it was the last remaining mainstream rear-wheel drive sedan with a V6 engine, though smoother straight-six designs continued in European cars until 2005.

During the early 1990s Mazda had considered introducing its own luxury brand, Amati, to compete with Lexus, Infiniti and Acura but later withdrew their plans. The 929 was replaced by the Mazda Millenia as the flagship sedan, but the Millenia is front-wheel drive. 929 Serenia sales ended in Canada after the 1994 model year, and the United States followed suit with the 1995 model year. It was also sold in South Korea as the badge engineered Kia Enterprise, using Mazda-sourced engines.

We're talking US version stuff. They brought it over here starting in '91 to compete with Acura. Wikipedia lists Lexus and Infiniti, but it was never even close to those.

And it is non-lamented garbage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I am pretty sure I have seen decidedly 1980s mazda 929s on the street in the US. Looking at wikipedia the ones described as 1987 look familiar.

You're right. Man, they brought those turds over for longer than I thought (but they did go upmarket with the '91+). Anyway, still nothing redeemable contained therein.

https://www.copart.com/lot/27992045

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

The one I linked in the CL thread is an 88.

I don't really read your posts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Another SR71 thread on reddit, but it had a pilot quote that I hadn't heard before:

quote:

I can't tell you how fast it goes, but I can tell you I've seen the sun rise in the west.

Unattributed, so it may be true, may not be. The best part about the SR71 now is that it is absolutely mythic. These quotes just continue to perpetuate the magic that was the plane.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

Or skip the documentary and watch it happening in real time!

There is no counterargument to the above statement.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

Guys; I think I might have accidentally clicked a few buttons, and entered a bunch of information, and hit submit, and agree, and submit again.

My cousin has one and loves it. Like love-loves it. The CEO of his company ($5B+ revenue) drove it, then they took the CEO's Model S out and the CEO's summary was: "My car is a really nice, fast, luxury car. Yours is a spaceship."

It's not my thing, but ride on, ratbert90! Let's see some pictures when you get it! (And I hope yours isn't one of the ones they build in a tent)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

Oh jeeze, I hadn't even thought about the logistics of repairing a Tesla. Their robust dealership network will only make this problem easier to deal with in the years to come

Check out Rich Rebuilds on YouTube. He's bought and resuscitated a couple Teslas and made some waves with corporate in doing so. Tesla can ban cars from home base. Think about that.

Larrymer posted:

I like their ideas (well, some. Not their lovely labor practices but their cars) but their execution is lacking. Elon is a lovely Tony Stark.

Elon is the Tony Stark we deserve.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

As far as I can tell they didn’t remote brick that car either. They just said “your uncertified salvage car can’t use our super chargers.” They were still able to use any other non Tesla charging station they wanted to. :shrug:

They didn't, but they do have the capability. It all comes down to trust.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Man, I bring up the fact that Tesla can brick a car remotely and y'all devolve into hyperbole. :(

Ratbert -- look at some of the negative, or even neutral, news and information on Tesla. This:

is SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS of damage on a Model 3. -- https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20/heres-what-7000-of-damage-looks-like-on-a-tesla-model-3/

Slightly more damage than that and a Model S ended up totalled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18MItauAgKo

A totaled vehicle can have some relatively minor cosmetic damage that happens to be in a very expensive place, with zero mechanical damage. To have a blanket "you have to recertify your car before we'll let you charge it" is unreasonable. The states have provisions to recertify salvage vehicles for road use. If Tesla is going to play by their own rules, then there is absolutely going to be backlash.

The up side to this is that there's going to be a lot of batteries and motors in the scrap yards in the upcoming years and that poo poo makes wicked fast beaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCI6wqKGC7U

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

So they ended up treating my brother for dehydration and sent him home. They said he had alcohol in his stool (he tells me he hasn't had a drink in months) and outright called him an alcoholic, and then told him he has hepatitis (I don't know which one).

He still has his colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow so I really hope those help to get to the bottom of this.

That sounds like he's getting some lovely service. Alcohol =/= blood... both are problems. :(

Best wishes for him to find the right diagnosis and treatment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

so I don't really get the Tesla hate from a claimed 'this product is not good' standpoint.

I'm separating the product from the company (and the company's policies (and the company's production sketchiness)).

The Teslas I've seen have been solid. Sure, there are some gap issues if you look at the panels super-critically, but I'm a very picky detail person in general, and I could live with them. They're certainly better than GM Truck levels.

The policies regarding dealership-tied service and the capability and willingness to shut off critical support though, that's troubling. The cups-and-balls way they are making their production numbers seem seriously sketchy -- "We made 5000 Model 3s this week!!!!!! (But we were short 900 Model S)" speaks to a company wanting to please Wall Street as much as make cars. And time will tell how these rushed production versions hold up.

Oh yeah, there's also the elimination of 300 "unnecessary" body welds in the Model 3: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/30/17520832/tesla-model-3-manufacturing-changes-tent-robots-welds

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So.... my day so far

Aunt died, cat requires MRI due to most likely head trauma and likely brain infection. Annnnnd I feel like poo poo because there's no way I'm going to be able to afford vet bills if it gets much beyond that, let alone I have no idea how I am going to support Mum with her sister dying the way she did.

I'm sorry, terrist. It sucks when life lumps a bunch of things on you at once. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

That's not quite the case here: Tesla is disabling access to their fast superchargers for cars with a salvage title that have not been reinspected by them.
You can still charge them up at home or on non-fast chargers.
Disabling would be fine if there was a (x) day notice in advance. As of right now, there isn't. It's their playground, they can kick you off if they want... but not when you're away from home in a place that logistically requires a supercharger to get you back.

quote:

Given that these things pump electricity out at 120kW I think it is reasonable that they do this - I can imagine terrible things happening if someone were to pump 120kW into a large collection of lithium batteries that had been rigged back together with bailing twine.
Much like the terrible things that can happen when someone pumps 20 gallons of gasoline into a large collection vessel that has been rigged back together with bailing twine? I guarantee there's more of them on the road than bandaged Teslas... and the system is still functioning without thousands of fireballs each day.

quote:

Of course - charging $7,000 to reinspect the cars is where Tesla are being assholes.

Essence.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Memento posted:

OK, sure, but "bucket what for you put that there gasoline into" is an order of magnitude less technology than "collection of LI batteries that you want to make sure are still charging and properly load balanced across thousands of cycles". It's not apples to apples here.

And a tank of gasoline would make an order of magnitude bigger explosion. The "risks" of a rebuilt electric car are no more than that of a gas car. There are plenty of non-factory, tampered-with cell phones containing aftermarket batteries that are NOT burning up people's nutsacks on a daily basis. Why is it somehow some big bunch of voodoo in car form?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

More like you can't use our fast pumps but you can have a trickle anywhere you want :v:

Exactly. The correct analogy would be if you cannot use full pump volume at the gas station and, instead of taking 5 minutes to fill the 25 gallon tank, the pump is restricted to take you over 2 days. Which is fine, again, it's Tesla's playground. But it's unreasonable to ban without notice, especially if the vehicle is away from home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Take it to the EV thread you weirdos.

:colbert: Just generally chatting here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Non EV chat --

Did you guys see that they unearthed (16' down) an enormous black sarcophagus in Alexandria? Under a layer of mortar. Dates to Alexander's time.

If it's Alexander the Great, I'll have a legit chub.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ptolemaic-sarcophagus-discovered-alexandria-egypt-180969551/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

pus is literally just pumping out of her cervix like she's been storing it up there for a few days

That's not normal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NumbersMatching320 posted:

new username spotted

Nope, "surprise necrotizing coochitis" is my new passphrase.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I dunno if everyone reads Sgt Fox's build thread (and you should, cause it's good) but you should at least do yourself the favor of reading this post.

:vince:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wrar posted:

Additional, I'm pretty fed up with the Gorester. I think I'm gonna pull the drivetrain and ECU and send it to the big junkyard in the sky. After things settled down for me some I'll buy a 2.0 WRX and drop it in.

SELF CONTROL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Kid down the street is probbo buying my Saturn, and I got the missus a CX-5 which is extremely nice (I got to work on its infotainment system a long while ago too :mrgw:) and now I’m driving her old G6 until we save up enough to buy me a car

Hopefully they get a better engine in the 2019/2020 STI, otherwise imma lust after the last model year of EVO’s

Get an AZ-1.

• Locked thread