Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If there's one thing Cubs fans would never do, it's complain about highly paid underperforming corner outfielders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Welcome to the 73/4 Club

Tony Phillips posted:

There's just so much brains in there!

your heads are like tiny baby to me

I've been gifted snapback hats that I can't wear without extenders :(

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The low rumbling you hear is hundreds of low-A and rookie ball players scouring their social media for offensive posts to delete

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

New Concept Hole posted:

It's surprising that this isn't already a thing, but this will assure that it definitely is

If any MLB teams are creating an Official Social Media Double Checker and Scrubber for their players and prospects I would like to apply please and thank you.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1019964731879247874?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just don't see how this is happening. The whole rationale behind the Cubs trade strategy this year was that they'd make up for their complete lack of a farm by trading away a young MLB piece in Happ, Almora, or Russell. That makes sense for a big splash trade, but I don't see Theo parting with a 25 man guy for a Britton rental, and I don't see the Orioles being enticed enough by any Cubs prospects to trade them Britton over other competing teams that could use the bullpen help (read: basically all of them).

Congrats on David Bote for playing himself into a starting role on a 50 win Orioles team

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

What is it with him, Darvish, and Wilson coming here and sucking as soon as they step off the plane?

I hear Bosio is looking for a job

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Hamels is clearly not anywhere near what he used to be but I'm still OK with him being a game 4 starter over Chatwood, Montgomery, or anyone on short rest. Going from the 6th worst team in defensive efficiency to the 5th best and switching leagues will probably smooth out that .296 BABIP as well.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Yep. Bye bye Chatwood.

outside of DL trickery I can't imagine the Cubs eating $25+ million in salary and waiving Chatwood.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

N: Eddie Butler was the PBTNL for the Cubs in the Hamels deal

V: Giving up MLB talent for a Hamels rental... I guess this is fine since the roster needed someone freed up on the 25 man?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JLester34/status/1023910044306493440

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I don't blame the Nats for looking to make a bundle off of a panic buying GM in the last 18 hours but holy moly it's hard to think of a team that blew their championship window any harder in the post-Wild Card era.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Blow up that stadium too, they're 3-8 in home playoff games, they've lost all 3 LDS Game 5s at home and the one time they didn't push a series to 5 games they lost it on the road because they lost games 1 and 2 at home

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kirios posted:

Considering how they have the best player since Barry Bonds you have to throw the Angels into the mix. They're about to lose Mike Trout in a couple of years and they have won zero playoff games with him.

You can fault the Angels for failing to build around a generational talent but I don't really consider one playoff appearance as a window. It's pretty interesting how teams have done in the post wild card expansion era:

The Champions

Giants: 2 Wild Card wins, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 2 World Series wins, 1 LDS loss, 8-1
Royals: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 1 World Series win, 1 World Series loss, 6-1
Cubs: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 2 LCS losses, 6-2
Astros: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 4-1
Red Sox: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 3-1

The Almost-Got-Theres

Cardinals: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 2 LCS losses, 1 World Series loss, 5-4
Dodgers: 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 2 LDS losses, 2 LDS losses, 1 World Series loss, 4-5
Tigers: 2 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 World Series loss, 3-3
Mets: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-2
Indians: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LCS loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-3

The On-the-Doorsteps

Blue Jays: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS losses, 3-2
Yankees: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LCS losses, 3-3
Orioles: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 LCS loss, 2-3

The Well-At-Least-We-Won-The-Play-Ins

Diamondbacks: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Rays: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Pirates: 1 Wild Card win, 2 Wild Card losses, 1 LDS loss, 1-3

The 0-Fors

Rockies: 1 Wild Card loss
Twins: 1 Wild Card loss
Angels: 1 LDS loss
Braves: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Reds: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Athletics: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Rangers: 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LDS losses
Nationals: 4 LDS losses

Of those I'd say that Texas and Washington are the biggest misses when it comes to playoff windows in this decade.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Yeah I forgot the ones that haven't made it yet: Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Miami, San Diego, the White Sox and Seattle - though I think 3 of those could probably break their droughts this year. Kind of amazing that 24 out of the 30 teams have at least made a wild card game in the last 6 seasons.

iospace posted:

I'm the lack of the Brewers, or did you not bother including teams that didn't even make it since they went to 2 WC teams?

Yeah this is post-expansion to 10 teams in the playoffs.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

if there's one thing the Cubs need for the playoff push, it's a late-30s reliever who hasn't had a positive WAR or a triple digit ERA+ in two seasons that already has over 50 innings of work on his arm before August

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I think that on paper the 2019 Nats are the second or third best team in the NL East and that position is incredibly fragile/based around the health of the 265 million dollars they have committed to two players

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Matt Harvey is a Cy Young caliber pitcher today if he doesn't go out there in the 9th inning of Game 5 in 2015, who disputes this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw85aXy2HRg&t=9705s

They may not have won the series but I am 10000% convinced this half inning broke Harvey permanently and it was entirely his fault for overriding Collins

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cubs send Jhon Romero to the Nats for Kintzler, a high-A pitcher who may or may not make you his btich.

• Locked thread