Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
FREE AGENT LIST (ENDS 7/24 4 PM EST)

:siren: 2018 BYOGM Spreadsheet for Roster/Salary Info :siren:

Welcome back to Be Your Own GM, Basketball v.4! The last ones were done in 2017, 2015 and 2012. If you’re unfamiliar with these games, it's a forum game where you’re basically drafting your own NBA teams and being judged by your contemporaries on how good your team is to win this "season". Nothing crazy. Most of the fun is in the drafting, winning is just a bonus. Although, if anybody wants to run the teams afterwards in a sim or 2K, you're more than welcome to.

If you’d like to go back and look at the 2017 BYOGM: v.3 thread, it can be found here, with the spreadsheet being found here.. As well as BYOGM: v.2 and BYOGM: v.1.

We’re going to be doing an AUCTION DRAFT. Every team will start off with $300 dollars and be bidding (or waiting) on a list of players each day for 20 days and will be buying your 15 roster spots. Will you splurge everything in the beginning or wait until the names you really want start to appear? (:siren: Hint #1: Check out the 2017 version, overspending early got a few teams in trouble!) Please read the rules below to understand how it will work specifically.

PAST CHAMPIONS
2017 Chicago Bulls (xbilkis) - (Wall/Crabbe/PG13/Horford/M. Gasol)

BUDGET/ROSTER

- Each team will get a budget of $300.
- Each team must "draft" 15 players.
- Each team must always have enough money remaining to complete a 15 man roster.
- Maximum bid for a player will always be amount of money remaining minus the amount of roster slots open, plus $1. For example, a maximum bid on day one would be $286 because each team needs to keep $14 available to fill out the roster with fourteen $1 players. :siren: (Hint #2: Highest paid player last year was $223 (LeBron James).
- All bids must be made using whole numbers only (Looking at you, Rick.)
- No team can go over the $300 salary cap by winning a bid on an additional player(s) during the course of a day. Each teams budget will be updated daily on the team pages, but each GM is responsible for keeping track of their own budget.
- You cannot bid a total amount over the cap you have each day. (ex: If you have $100 dollars to spend on 5 roster spots, you can divide it however you want, just can't bid more than the money you have because you know you will lose certain bids. It gives an unfair advantage.
- You may waive players. They will re-enter the draft pool on the final two days but you will not get your money back that you spent on them.

AUCTION DRAFT

- The draft will take place for 20 days. (There may be days where I am busy where there is a break day.)
- The draft will consist of around 500 players (including rookies and overseas players with contracts).
- A pool of fresh players will be put up for auction on days #1-17. Waived players will be put up on days 18 and 19 in order to fill out rosters.
- Days 19 and 20 will be used to to put players originally not selected back on the auction block as well.
- Each day will have a random 30 players available on the auction block. Teams may bid on as many or as few players as they want as long as they don't exceed their remaining budget/can fill their roster.
- Every team must check in via PM at least every other day if they decide not to place a bid on any players in back to back days.
- Each day (unless specified beforehand), a list of players will be put up between 6 AM and 1 PM EST. Bidding is open as soon as the new list of players is put up and will remain open until 8 PM EST (unless specified beforehand).
- Bidding is done via PM or e-mail (Commuziq@Gmail.com) to the commish (Deadbeat Dad). Highest legal bid at the time the auction ends each day will "win" that player. In the case of a tie for the highest bid, it will be randomed using random.org.
- Each GM will only be allowed to submit one bid per day. That official bid can be for as many players as that GM would like to sign but only the first submitted bid will be accepted.
- If you go over budget with a winning bid, the highest paid for bid because invalid.

TRADES

- Trades are allowed and encouraged.
- You may trade cash only for players, but only the exact amount of cash previously paid for that player.
- The 125%+$1 rule is in effect (only when applicable). For example, if you bought player A for $25, the max amount of salary you can receive back in a trade following the 125%+$1 rule, is $32. This is done in order to keep trades as fair as possible.
- In simpler terms, you can simply trade a player or players in a player only trade for the same amount, a trade with a player + cash for player(s), or a trade where it follows the 125%+$1 rule where as long as the money is in the range of the value of a player, it will go through with one person taking a bit more $ back just to be able to make the trade work. Usually people will just do money + player trades, but this is in case of tough negotiations or people close to being over the cap.
- Teams are allowed to make varied trades, i.e. 2 players for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 2, etc trades as long as the trading rules are followed.
- Teams can not go over the salary cap when acquiring players in a trade.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

:siren: If you are still confused, just check out the 2017 thread to see how it works. It isn't very complicated at all. But most importantly, have fun! Try not to be a dick. Last version was really fun and thanks for staying active and engaged, hopefully this version will be even better.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Users/Teams

1. Scooter McTiny (Indiana Pacers) (PMs: Yes)
2. Rick (Los Angeles Lakers) (PMs: Yes)
3. alansmithee (Charlotte Hornets) (PMs: Yes)
4. Cool Buff Man (Boston Celtics) (PMs: Yes)
5. Bloach (Brooklyn Nets) (PMs:Yes)
6. G-Hawk (Houston Rockets) (PMs: Yes)
7. BWV (Toronto Raptors) (PMs: Yes)
8. homphgomph (Milwaukee Bucks) (PMs: Yes)
9. Lockback (Minnesota Timberwolves) (PMs: Yes)
10. Punkin Spunkin (San Antonio Spurs) (PMs: Yes)
11. AnacondaHL (Phoenix Suns) (PMs: Yes)
12. Frustrated (New Orleans Pelicans) (PMs: Yes)
13. Carlosologist (Philadelphia 76ers) (PMs: Yes)
14. china klay (Golden State Warriors) (PMs: Yes)
15. DeimosRising (Orlando Magic) (PMs: No, email: g.dearien@gmail)
16. xbilkis (Chicago Bulls) (PMs: Yes)
17. IcePhoenix (Denver Nuggets) (PMs: Yes)
18. Dejan Bimble (Detroit Pistons) (PMs: Yes)
19. Paul Zuvella (Los Angeles Clippers) (PMs: Yes)
20. Michael Corleone (Cleveland Cavaliers (PMs: Yes)
21. tanglewood1420 (Miami Heat) (PMs: Yes)
22. Panzeh (Atlanta Hawks) (PMs: Yes)
23. Metapod (Oklahoma City Thunder) (PMs: Yes)
24. leftist heap (Portland Trailblazers)[ (PMs: Yes)
25. DC Murderverse (Memphis Grizzlies) (PMs: Yes)
26. Doltos (New York Knicks) (PMs: Yes)
27. Drunk Canuck (Dallas Mavericks)
(PMs: Yes)
28. scuz (Utah Jazz) (PMs: Yes)
29. Mountain Dew Code Bread (Sacramento Kings) (PMs: Yes)
30. Harlock (Washington Wizards) (PMs: Yes)

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 5, 2018

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also make sure to sign up with your preferred team or it will be randomed/whatever isn't picked.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Checking in for duty for the Celtics, PMs are open

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz
Hello, the Brooklyn Nets are here to win

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

checking in for your Houston Rockets

PM works for me

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

checking back in for the Toronto Raptors. PMs work. I look forward to everyone hoarding this year and Lebron going for 10

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I'll take the Milwaukee Bucks, PMs are good!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bloach posted:

Hello, the Brooklyn Nets are here to win

Good to see you my man

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You should do coaches to be drafted too. I might try to do a 2K sim, but coaches make a big difference in 2K

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also to make it transparent, I talk to/know Bloach and my friend who is signing up shortly outside of the forums, but I want them to have lovely teams so they won't have any advantage in anything.

And drat, looking back at the last version, some of the rosters look way better now than they did at that time. For those returning, how do you feel about your last year's team? Turns out Donovan Mitchell for $13 was pretty good.

It just makes me sad nothing is going to beat Drunk Canuck's day 1 in the future.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll take the Timberwolves though too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm in for the Spurs again, I remember this being fun. I was best manning around the time of some of the key rounds and made some really puzzling drunken bids
never forget

open bars+BYOGM don't mix

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm checking in. I'll take the Lakers although if another Lakers fan wants them I'll take the ummmm...Hawks.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I'm in if there is space. Happy to take whatever team is open since the Spurs and Rockets are already claimed.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Meeee (PMs OK)

Suns please

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Frustrated posted:

I'm in if there is space. Happy to take whatever team is open since the Spurs and Rockets are already claimed.

I'll give you the Pelicans (randomed it), is that cool?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'll give you the Pelicans (randomed it), is that cool?

works for me.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DrunkCanuck better sign up

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Honestly last year’s thread was a lot of fun so it’ll be good to run it back. My Hornets were really good in the 2K sim!

Also I’m checking in for the Sixers

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
I'll take the Warriors.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I will retain my control of the famously well managed Chicago Bulls

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will play as a team that nobody picks

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Just wanna be clear my all-Indiana team that everyone trashed on last year was actually decent with future MVP Victor Oladipo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

aaaawww yeah boy, i'm back and i'm winning it y'all. gimme the magicks

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I pulled off one Morey style deal last year and it was fantastic

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'll take those old detroit bad boys

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I’m back and I plan to come in 2nd once again! I want to be the clippers!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The team i picked last year was so good
I was just planning for 3 years out

What's up bloach

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lol I got Fred VanVleet off waivers for free last time

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Back in as the Cavs!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Very much in. Give me the Heat again please (or any other team if they are already taken, I don't mind).

I was going to bump the old thread and update the power rankings with last year's WS etc. for a true statistical winner. May still do that anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want back. I'm going to finally defeat the BYOGM rigging machine.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
According to the results for the season here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLYF2SKAoJHIWwJ-FsMD1K6e4G0W9nGAzZ8_Vfj6GBk/edit#gid=691233502 everyone underrated me due to blind Celtics hatred... typical. I look forward to it again.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
8 spots left, 11 teams left (three will be give to IcePhoenix/Panzeh/Smithee): Wizards, Hornets, Kings, Knicks, Hawks, Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Nuggets, Mavericks, Grizzlies

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I was going to let someone else take okc but y'all are cowards who are scared to presti cosplay so I'll take them

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I would like to take the Trail Blazers again this season.

e: I have PMs

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I will once again take the last available team.

Edit: actually gently caress it I’ll just be the Grizzles again. For consistency.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hell fuckin ya get me into this again sign me up to make the knicks more miserable as a roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if i hadn't spent 91 loving dollars on Jeff Teague my team would have been pretty good. I was right to spend a few bucks on Kuzma, John Collins and Taurean Prince.

• Locked thread