Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
if the utah basketball jazz organization has more than $12 remaining on the first day i've failed in my quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BWV posted:

If anyone wants tips on how to approach the draft read pages 7-12 from last year's thread.

Who was it who assembled 5 picks in a row during the draft a couple years back and then used them to assemble a starting lineup of geriatric future HoF players? I seem to remember Kobe, Dirk, Tony, and the other 2 I forget.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Who was it who assembled 5 picks in a row during the draft a couple years back and then used them to assemble a starting lineup of geriatric future HoF players? I seem to remember Kobe, Dirk, Tony, and the other 2 I forget.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7OBvkCrQ4zZF-g1QlWepcZdkRZbFRMRAcQ4lKkYqDo/edit#gid=0

line 59 is where it starts

Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Wade, Deron Williams

e: picks start here

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

tadashi posted:

They will get tired of me telling them not to sleep on certain players from a certain university.

But if anybody really thinks they want a little extra help, I'm available. I do actually follow the NBA.

You are free to join okc if you are willing to presti cosplay

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If anybody wants to co-GM the Sixers let me know and we’ll figure something out

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Tadashi, you have two choices right there! Your own mini decision~

Anyway, I set up the :siren: BYOGM v.4 spreadsheet for the picks/money stuff. I'll post it in the OP so people can easily access it. If anybody can edit it to how it looked similarly last year with the money stuff, that would be much appreciated. Whenever you have time. Anybody else, please don't gently caress with the sheet that much unless you know what you're doing. We can revert any sort of major fuckups but I'd prefer people just not to try to do too much crazy stuff with it/tell us if you're wanting to make a crazy change to it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Tadashi, you have two choices right there! Your own mini decision~

Anyway, I set up the :siren: BYOGM v.4 spreadsheet for the picks/money stuff. I'll post it in the OP so people can easily access it. If anybody can edit it to how it looked similarly last year with the money stuff, that would be much appreciated. Whenever you have time. Anybody else, please don't gently caress with the sheet that much unless you know what you're doing. We can revert any sort of major fuckups but I'd prefer people just not to try to do too much crazy stuff with it/tell us if you're wanting to make a crazy change to it.

I did my best

e: ok changed a couple things now it's my best

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 5, 2018

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thanks!

Although someone hosed with all the colors and that took me like 15 mins >:[

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Thanks!

Although someone hosed with all the colors and that took me like 15 mins >:[

that was 100% me I'll fix it hang on

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

that was 100% me I'll fix it hang on

Oh no worries, thought somebody was doing it purposely. I appreciate you doing the money stuff cause I'm really loving stupid when it comes to using a spreadsheet other than inputting names

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Oh no worries, thought somebody was doing it purposely. I appreciate you doing the money stuff cause I'm really loving stupid when it comes to using a spreadsheet other than inputting names

I used the format painter to copy over a lot of the stuff from last year which is why the colors got messed up. Otherwise I just cleaned up the layout a bit, made sure the formula was still working, and made it so when we scroll the team name and remaining cap stay on the screen.

If someone wants to do the notes on the team names so we can hover for the GM like last year to save a bit of space feel free but that last change should mitigate the loss of space a bit.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Extremely here to watch CBM way overbid on Jokic and Tatum.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Extremely here to watch CBM way overbid on Jokic and Tatum.

I've got a new plan this year beyond "acquire Jokic at all costs" even though last years team turned out pretty well despite my attempt to waste every dollar I had on my boy

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
With Lebron moving west his stats are going to fall off big time, not worth more than $100 IMHO.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I will accept a Co-GM for my Cavaliers as long as you agree to us bringing Lebron home no matter the cost!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I need winners.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DBD did you use this color scheme for the nuggets because of my work because I've never seen them wear those colors (also I changed it to be closer to their other colors and almost went blind so I get why you didn't use that).

Because if so that's hilarious.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

DBD did you use this color scheme for the nuggets because of my work because I've never seen them wear those colors (also I changed it to be closer to their other colors and almost went blind so I get why you didn't use that).

Because if so that's hilarious.

I just tried to use their new colors without the blue cause too many teams had blue, no other reason really haha

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That is an excellent coincidence then.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I want to overspend on Kawhi and then trade him out of spite. When exactly does this start?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Frustrated posted:

I want to overspend on Kawhi and then trade him out of spite. When exactly does this start?

First day's bidding (30 players) will be up in the morning, and you will have until 8 PM EST to private message me your bids on the players. Remember, you guys can bid on as many or as little (none) of the players that you want each day, but the total that you bid/split for each player may not exceed the money you currently have. So if you have $200 dollars on Day 6, you can bid on players but not hand out more than $200 in your bids.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm glad the Wizards are using a goatse star as their logo these days

Petition to bring back the Bullets

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm putting max money on cam Payne and andre roberson

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll try to do a NBA2k league with our picks, though I'll need to do something about the coach effect though. Maybe give everyone an F/F/F coach or something since goons would make terrible hires. I'll probably not stretch it out and do a couple seasons over a week or so.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lockback posted:

I'll try to do a NBA2k league with our picks, though I'll need to do something about the coach effect though. Maybe give everyone an F/F/F coach or something since goons would make terrible hires. I'll probably not stretch it out and do a couple seasons over a week or so.

I was thinking of ways to integrate coaching, but I didn't want it to be affected by the money too much or to be mixed in with the player bidding. I was thinking either just having the default coaches for the teams picked (which is inherently unfair to some people, but not the biggest deal), maybe they can pick an assistant coach instead to coach, or we can do an extra round of bidding at the end with the leftover money people have. Maybe an incentive to keep some money at the end by being able to spend the leftover money on coaches?

Let me know what you guys think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I was thinking of ways to integrate coaching, but I didn't want it to be affected by the money too much or to be mixed in with the player bidding. I was thinking either just having the default coaches for the teams picked (which is inherently unfair to some people, but not the biggest deal), maybe they can pick an assistant coach instead to coach, or we can do an extra round of bidding at the end with the leftover money people have. Maybe an incentive to keep some money at the end by being able to spend the leftover money on coaches?

You should either just add coaches to the pool or not do them at all imo.

If you do the "get a head coach with your extra money" thing though you should probably figure out a way for nobody to end up coachless.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

You should either just add coaches to the pool or not do them at all imo.

If you do the "get a head coach with your extra money" thing though you should probably figure out a way for nobody to end up coachless.

The money thing is a problem because nba teams can spend an infinite amount on coaches , so baking it into a salary cap doesn't make sense.

For a pure "we're playing a game to come up with a cost effective team that's good and it's just for fun" it does make sense, although stuff like me picking Rasheed wallace as a head coach 2 years ago couldn't be accounted for by anyone's videogame simulation.

If we're picking coaches we might as well pick training staffs

And it will go
Brad Stevens -a m million
Steve Kerr- mucho
Pop- a lot
Spo- A decent amount
Then everyone else will go for 3-10 dollars

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Just edit the coaches so they are all the same.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

tanglewood1420 posted:

Just edit the coaches so they are all the same.

Probably the easiest way tbh.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Yeah agree above. For 2K purposes I can even out the coaches as best I can.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Yeah agree above. For 2K purposes I can even out the coaches as best I can.

I’d go all C or B, though, so they aren’t making all the teams play like poo poo

china klay
Jul 4, 2018

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also to make it transparent, I talk to/know Bloach and my friend who is signing up shortly outside of the forums, but I want them to have lovely teams so they won't have any advantage in anything.

And drat, looking back at the last version, some of the rosters look way better now than they did at that time. For those returning, how do you feel about your last year's team? Turns out Donovan Mitchell for $13 was pretty good.

It just makes me sad nothing is going to beat Drunk Canuck's day 1 in the future.

I'm the "friend" mentioned in this post.

I apologize in advance for being an IRL Warriors fan.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

I’d go all C or B, though, so they aren’t making all the teams play like poo poo

That's what I did for my ill-fated 2k thread but I had to use a really stupid 3rd party editor to basically hex edit coach grades, it sucked

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

china klay posted:

I'm the "friend" mentioned in this post.

I apologize in advance for being an IRL Warriors fan.

I will permit you to be either self loathing or way over the top defensive. In between is boring.

Drinking heavily during draft rounds will wash away a lot of sins though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's what I did for my ill-fated 2k thread but I had to use a really stupid 3rd party editor to basically hex edit coach grades, it sucked

Likely I'll find C/C/C coaches for every team. I plan on doing this on PS4 and I think I can whip it out with only a couple hours work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
a handy link for those of us who have decided that the 2k results are far more important than anything else.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

2k is a distant third to my personal ego and the approbation or disdain of my peers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
2k ratings don't take into account my clever assemblage of athletes based on name recognition

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Exclusive interview from former Mavs PG Delon Wright with the Ringer, who is the most excited out of his former club at having a chance to join a new roster.

We've only experienced the legend of Drunk Canuck by word of mouth, how is it actually being drafted by him?

Delon: Awful. The dude is seriously loving weird. The little sleep we ever got during the night was always interrupted by him yelling “WINNERS!” at the top of his lungs. He may not have even been awake, it’s like the guy was dreaming about us 24/7.

You were one of the 5 or 6 point guards drafted, right? Did anybody else actually escape the gym?

Delon: Demetrius got killed in front of us, as you know. B-Web died from heat exhaustion around day 20. I don’t think he had one single bite to eat and was only allowed one visit a day to the water fountain. Knight is a paraplegic now. I think Neto got out of it unscathed, but that’s because he sucked up to Drunk Canuck until he left him alone in his office one day and bolted out of the entrance when DC turned his head to get something from the shelf. I was almost a goner until the police stormed in the building one day because of an anonymous tip, or so I've heard.

How were the team dynamics? The rest of the Mavericks didn’t have to go through that grueling PG camp. Did know the house of horrors their GM was hiding?

Delon: In some hosed up way, I felt more at home in the gym than on the court with the team. Call it Stockholm Syndrome or whatever you want, but if you think 6 point guards were bad, the guy also decided to draft Carmelo and Kanter. The only time I got to touch the drat ball was in that gym.

I wish you luck this year, Delon. Try not to get drafted by Dallas.

Delon: He won’t take me alive if he does.

Meanwhile, back in Dallas..

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This thread is already off to a great start.

• Locked thread