Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

FormerFatty posted:

Ehhh -- having been banned from free shards for dominating too hard this guy leaves a bad taste in my mouth from the little ive seen from him... I'll probably stick ganking and collecting tears on Albion until something else comes along.
This. He's the archetypal UO freeshard owner. In other words, a complete spoon. You know it's a good time to jump ship when the server admins start talking about themselves as dictators in a self congratulatory manner. Shame, because the server itself is actually good.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navraz
Sep 17, 2007

I blame it on my own sick pride
Sugartime Jones

Angelwolf posted:

I've spoken with Andi. He said he only banned you from Discord due to some big toxic chat(?) but you're not banned from the server.

Andi: Ah okay, then he was part of the group we kicked out of discord. There were no other server bans besides Vulgaar though

I have neither been banned or kicked out of the discord, just gave you a word of warning.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Angelwolf posted:

Are you sure you're not missing anything out here? I've seen people do way, way worse and they weren't banned

Also which gm was it?

Here's the reasoning he gave me. All I was doing was asking very politely in the Discord how inviting players he liked to the EQMS Discord construed as "poaching" and the dude booted me for it. There were several goons (some who got kicked as well like Hot Buttered Cooter) who were there to witness it. The whole situation is just absurd, also, talk about sociopathic!

quote:

Andi - Today at 6:55 PM
I just banned VulgaarEQMS from this discord server for inviting all new players to his "free speech discord". No problem with people having their own discord for whatever reason (and if you've been here for a bit, you'll know where his comes from), but inviting all new people there falls under our poaching rule.

Vulgaar, for context, is a big community member and not even two days ago held a noob-night for all of us so we could get some money (the screenshots posted a page ago where we were all at the champ spawns were organized and led by him). I've seen him be nothing but an awesome guy and a helpful resource.

Even the Citadel guys are aware of the bad ownership:

insomne fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 17, 2018

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

insomne posted:

Here's the reasoning he gave me. All I was doing was asking very politely in the Discord how inviting players he liked to the EQMS Discord construed as "poaching" and the dude booted me for it. There were several goons (some who got kicked as well like Hot Buttered Cooter) who were there to witness it. The whole situation is just absurd, also, talk about sociopathic!

Vulgaar, for context, is a big community member and not even two days ago and held a noob-night for all of us so we could get some money (the screenshots posted a page ago where we were all at the champ spawns were organized and led by him). I've seen him be nothing but an awesome guy and a helpful resource.

Even the Citadel guys are aware of the bad ownership:

Poaching rule?

The gently caress is that all about?

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

iminers posted:

Poaching rule?

The gently caress is that all about?

Yeah, I have no clue either. That's why I was probing them about it in their Discord (very politely, I might add, since I could sense these guys have a bit of an ego problem). I was genuinely trying to understand how inviting people to a private Discord is "poaching." I think somebody might have the chat logs around here, but I was booted (and didn't really expect to get booted) so I don't have them.

insomne fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 17, 2018

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
Yea -- after what happened on UOF I am already super weary of private servers/being banned for no reason/nazi admins. This server hasnt even launched yet and they already have that reputation so....

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

insomne posted:

Yeah, I have no clue either. That's why I was probing them about it in their Discord (very politely, I might add, since I could sense these guys have a bit of an ego problem). I was genuinely trying to understand how inviting people to a private Discord is "poaching." I think somebody might have the chat logs around here, but I was booted (and didn't really expect to get booted) so I don't have them.

The guys are mostly alright. Andi is the one with a bit of an irritable reputation to be fair - and this is the first I've heard of him doing something like this, and I've been on the shard for a fair while now. I agree the poaching thing is bullshit, but it's done now. Stimwalt and Gorgon are still chill dudes.
I've updated the OP, just avoid talking to Andi about admin politics and we'll be fine. He's got permission to contact me via Discord if he has any issues (he also has this with DoW and FL; I've spoken to him as you know, I reckon he'll be fine with us as a guild).

Meanwhile, in today's adventures...

We started off raiding Britain Sewers before we reached level 3 and ran into trouble with pesky imps.

A few of us went out and hunted orcs. Dumbasses just couldn't help but run into our blade spirits.

We also found a psychotic ninja fellow. He was tough, but we took him down and he dropped a neat axe.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 17, 2018

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is this game on/ will be on STEEEEAAAAAAMMMM??!?!?!?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
It will be on Steam, yes. If you buy the game now then you can play now with the standalone client and you will get a Steam key on full release

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Was going to finally jump in today but can't seem to get in on the LOU server with the trial key. Not convinced this is worth $$ yet.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Dinurth posted:

Was going to finally jump in today but can't seem to get in on the LOU server with the trial key. Not convinced this is worth $$ yet.

What message does it give you when trying to join? If it bitches about the client, it's because the newest one isn't compatible with Community Shards yet and you'll need the correct version

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Says the account key isn't valid, and there isn't a new one on the dashboard since they changed it with the newest client.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Dinurth posted:

Says the account key isn't valid, and there isn't a new one on the dashboard since they changed it with the newest client.

Well that's crap, sorry man. I'm assuming it works on the main server?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Yup, running around on the new client a bit. It's definitely a big improvement.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Signed up That Works = Breaky

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
So is the Legends of Ultima server down?

I only see the Test server.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
It's offline prior to the new update I believe. Think it'll be up and patched by tomorrow

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In a peaceful time, the warlike mangoon will make war upon himselfthe server admins.

I'm really tempted to get into this, but already having issues with the admins makes me worry that we'll wear out our welcome. I say that as someone who would likely be part of the problem. The last goon-guild I joined on a UO legacy server nearly got mass-banned for RP Asian Supremacy.

Is there a monthly fee beyond the price of the game?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

In a peaceful time, the warlike mangoon will make war upon himselfthe server admins.

I'm really tempted to get into this, but already having issues with the admins makes me worry that we'll wear out our welcome. I say that as someone who would likely be part of the problem. The last goon-guild I joined on a UO legacy server nearly got mass-banned for RP Asian Supremacy.

Hahah sounds like similar crap done in worlds adrift but not racial undertons. So it was fun and hilarious.
But I'm wondering why we shouldnt play on the mains server once there is no resets

There is no subscription price.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

Hahah sounds like similar crap done in worlds adrift but not racial undertons. So it was fun and hilarious.
But I'm wondering why we shouldnt play on the mains server once there is no resets

There is no subscription price.

Major draw to Legends of Ultima is the upcoming Britannia map and the 1:1 UO mechanics. I'll be playing on all sorts of servers. They'll all have their own draws. I know there's a Tolkien shard being worked on. Probably Warhammer/Norrath/D&D too. I think we'll be seeing a lot of the persistent world communities from Neverwinter Nights move over.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Their rules are listed in the OP. The thing is, if we play this game like normal human beings and don't harass people, we'll be fine. There is no reason we can't just be a red goon murderball destroying everything in our path (we've pretty much got permission for that). If we run into issues where the admins are being extremely unreasonable then we could consider moving to another shard - once steam release is done I'd imagine there would be at least one other shard attempting to 1:1 UO

Even the official shard isn't worlds apart from that

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
oh come on, it's still open pvp mostly. harassment is never far behind.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Angelwolf posted:

Their rules are listed in the OP. The thing is, if we play this game like normal human beings and don't harass people, we'll be fine. There is no reason we can't just be a red goon murderball destroying everything in our path (we've pretty much got permission for that). If we run into issues where the admins are being extremely unreasonable then we could consider moving to another shard - once steam release is done I'd imagine there would be at least one other shard attempting to 1:1 UO

Even the official shard isn't worlds apart from that

Depends how obfuscated the custom assets, especially maps are once you download them. If anyone can download and access their Britannia map, I bet there'll be ten competitors.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Depends how obfuscated the custom assets, especially maps are once you download them. If anyone can download and access their Britannia map, I bet there'll be ten competitors.
You can import basically anything from the Unity store, and the Sosaria map will probably be there too, so custom assets shouldn't be all that hard to deal with in this game. Heavily customized servers like LOTR, Warhammer or UO mods will require a ton of LUA scripting though. UO-style servers will probably all requires a fair bit of time investment for skill advancement (even if you macro it takes quite some time in UO) so if you're going to make a big time investment, just stay out of server politics and enjoy the game.

Dante fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Stress test starting tonight, they are reactivating all old trial keys. LOU is on the latest client now right? Maybe I can finally jump in.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Dinurth posted:

Stress test starting tonight, they are reactivating all old trial keys. LOU is on the latest client now right? Maybe I can finally jump in.

It's just been updated to the latest client :v:

e;
Let's get stuck on things!

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 22, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'll join tonight when I get back from getting drunk at a bar. I used to enjoy playing a hidey gank-mage, so I'd like to do that again. Any tips on good ways to make money for training reagents?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

I'll join tonight when I get back from getting drunk at a bar. I used to enjoy playing a hidey gank-mage, so I'd like to do that again. Any tips on good ways to make money for training reagents?

I think most people use dexxers to bankroll buying regs. We try to fund people as much as we can for stuff like this but we don't currently have a huge deposit of gold to dip out of just yet (there's some, it might be enough to get you started).

Remember to take 30 MR, 30 Magery and 30 Eval Int, 30 Meditation (and 30 Inscription from the skill book seller)

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 22, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So does anyone know where the crash logs are kept?

*grumble*

Edit: Game is crashing on launch just after the opening logos. My computer is a bit older but it more than meets the minimum specs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 22, 2018

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

So does anyone know where the crash logs are kept?

*grumble*

Edit: Game is crashing on launch just after the opening logos. My computer is a bit older but it more than meets the minimum specs.

Not sure where the crash logs are kept..

The game runs lovely on my comp as well and ive got a decent mid level gaming Machine. I just think they really need to optimize the client alot more, which I'm not even sure if thats on their list of to do stuff..

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I backed this a long time ago and finally decided to check it out. Does anybody have a link to a more detailed guide than what is in the OP? I never played original UO and have no idea what I am doing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

D-Pad posted:

So I backed this a long time ago and finally decided to check it out. Does anybody have a link to a more detailed guide than what is in the OP? I never played original UO and have no idea what I am doing.

This isn't really a guide but it's a nice walkthrough of the mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEuupi0fmw

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

D-Pad posted:

Post #2 under op :)

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Are the people who sent people to "a free speech discord" related to Wrong Think Tank and former SA user Taylor Swift? If so, those people are alt-right toxic as gently caress and many have been banned from SA.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Cheen posted:

Are the people who sent people to "a free speech discord" related to Wrong Think Tank and former SA user Taylor Swift? If so, those people are alt-right toxic as gently caress and many have been banned from SA.

No.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Cheen posted:

The guy who made the "free speech" Discord left after everyone turned on him and continued playing on the server :thumbsup:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

zwdzk posted:

The guy who made the "free speech" Discord left after everyone turned on him and continued playing on the server :thumbsup:

thats high quality content right there

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

UGHHHHH this game will not let me quit...I don't even have internet in my home and I'm on a hotspot, also have a new baby and then this poo poo pops up and now I feel I must play. I HATE AND LOVE UO it was my first true love as a middle-schooler in the 90s anyway thanks for listening love y'all

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

life is killing me posted:

UGHHHHH this game will not let me quit...I don't even have internet in my home and I'm on a hotspot, also have a new baby and then this poo poo pops up and now I feel I must play. I HATE AND LOVE UO it was my first true love as a middle-schooler in the 90s anyway thanks for listening love y'all

Same. Finally got the game running (on my home theater PC which isn't ideal) and I guess I expected that the map would be a recreation of the UO map so now I'm running around "Moonglow" and I don't know what the gently caress. Are there training dummies I can hit with my baby-dexer Cuck Finn? Alternatively are there low intensity crafting skills or fishing or something that I can macro/monitor while I do chores around the house? If I can't really play yet, I'd like to start chipping away at money-making skills that I can use later once my laptop crash issue is sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This isn't really a guide but it's a nice walkthrough of the mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEuupi0fmw

It doesn't look like they're trying to recreate the old school player homes, which is turning into a big turn off for me.