Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sadneil in skeletown and Burn in his tower are the only guarantees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rapacity posted:

Can anyone suggest a place to recruit skeletons? I just finished o long run around lots of cities and I didn’t see a single one.

Unmodded uniques
https://antifandom.com/kenshi/wiki/Unique_Recruits

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

And agnu unless you really mess it up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For some reason Agnu just wasn't there in my game and I had to do an import to get him

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Oh right. Forgot about Agnu. Forgive me Beep…

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, direct assaults on towns are a colossal waste of time, aren't they? Not being able to finish off down enemies is such a garbage design oversight. My martial arts hit for like 200 damage yet for some goddamn reason they always damage enemies in the limbs. So I have nobles with no arms and legs being "downed" because my damage is just under the death threshold for their chest or head. Why can't I just punch this clown's head until it's mush? I thank my lucky stars and the christian christ almighty that stealth and assassination are so overpowered that I can turn settlements without wasting hours upon hours because enemies simply just won't die. Yes, I'd like an enemy with missing limbs and <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< for bleed that are unconscious for 7000 seconds instead of being dead. They certainly won't get picked up by the one of ten million enemies that come out of the woodwork if an alarm goes off and get carried off to a bed to get healed to full.

It should be fun to round up allies and march on a city with an army at your back but it's just an exercise in frustration and tedium. I think next time I play, which won't be for a while, I'm just going to move the "chance of death" slider all the way to the left. It's not like being down in this game has any benefit to you, the player. No one will heal you in your recovery coma while your stats just continue to get worse, so you may as well be dead. This way it just cuts out the annoying tedium.

All that said, the slave run was good. I settled on the hub for my base since it's in the middle of the map and let me go anywhere in a decent amount of time. Those other places are just too far out of the way. The game really needed fast travel. It was a marvel to see all the cool and weird areas but for the upteenth time going through it? A slog. I hope the sequel mitigates a lot of the tedium. 90% of my playtime is running places and about 40 of that percentage was filled with "oh, this is cool" while the rest was "am I there yet?"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk if there’s anything there but I wonder if there’s a mod that allows you to do something other than wait for a downed-but-not-dying enemy to wake up. I assume the stumbling block there would be a lack of clean ways to exempt your own guys from the mechanic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is at least one mod that gives humanoids meat or meat equivalent to loot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

sadneil is my friend and i love him

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Idk if there’s anything there but I wonder if there’s a mod that allows you to do something other than wait for a downed-but-not-dying enemy to wake up. I assume the stumbling block there would be a lack of clean ways to exempt your own guys from the mechanic.

yeah there are mods that let you execute downed enemies, but some of the mods make it so e.g. slavers will accidentally kill NPCs they're trying to enslave because they steal the kill-on-remove item.

in vanilla if you want someone dead dead you can use a Peeler Machine, or feed them to Beak Things or fog/fishmen. or expose them to acid or poison gas clouds or Venge lasers.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
IIRC, using prisoner cages (at least imprisoning rival groups) will enact the same change as killing someone?

Thief posted:

:yeah:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

IIRC, using prisoner cages (at least imprisoning rival groups) will enact the same change as killing someone?

imprisoning the city's leaders can flip the "world state" variable which causes the city to be overwritten by a different version controlled by a different faction. you can do this by using Assassination to knock them out and sneak/run away to kill or imprison them.

but if you're fighting 'fair' and grinding through the dozens+ of guards to beat the leader into submission, it helps to kill or imprison (or enslave) the mooks so they stop healing and coming back to fight on you next assault.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thief posted:

I am doing a run where I finally went north out of Rebirth instead of to The Hub and I just found Sadneil by a circuitous route along the east coast.

Who then found the Error Code boys. Skellington squad anyone?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

silentsnack posted:

but if you're fighting 'fair' and grinding through the dozens+ of guards to beat the leader into submission, it helps to kill or imprison (or enslave) the mooks so they stop healing and coming back to fight on you next assault.

I'm pretty sure that if you're fighting against a typical living settlement that has many generic inhabitants, you cannot do that, because that 'next assault' will see the entire enemy population replenished. The problem is that the moment a zone is unloaded from active play, the game seems to fill up any missing generic population members back to their optimal requirements (i.e. the '12/12' thing you see when hovering over the settlement icon), so unless you plan to leave a hidden character behind on overwatch to prevent that, doing a site conquest in waves is not an option.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC settlements have an economy that determines their replenishment rate. Most of the Holy Nations or Empire cities have their poo poo together and will continue to do so against normal casualties against hostiles in their territory. But you can attrition war them eventually even if their cap is refilled between fights as it tracks economy things. Eventually it won't be full and if you drag it on long enough I think some people have noticed random world state changes from incidental animal raids or such on a struggling capital.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I did not know that the system working in the background was this involved, that is fascinating! And very useful. :getin:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Man, direct assaults on towns are a colossal waste of time, aren't they? Not being able to finish off down enemies is such a garbage design oversight. My martial arts hit for like 200 damage yet for some goddamn reason they always damage enemies in the limbs. So I have nobles with no arms and legs being "downed" because my damage is just under the death threshold for their chest or head. Why can't I just punch this clown's head until it's mush? I thank my lucky stars and the christian christ almighty that stealth and assassination are so overpowered that I can turn settlements without wasting hours upon hours because enemies simply just won't die. Yes, I'd like an enemy with missing limbs and <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< for bleed that are unconscious for 7000 seconds instead of being dead. They certainly won't get picked up by the one of ten million enemies that come out of the woodwork if an alarm goes off and get carried off to a bed to get healed to full.

It should be fun to round up allies and march on a city with an army at your back but it's just an exercise in frustration and tedium. I think next time I play, which won't be for a while, I'm just going to move the "chance of death" slider all the way to the left. It's not like being down in this game has any benefit to you, the player. No one will heal you in your recovery coma while your stats just continue to get worse, so you may as well be dead. This way it just cuts out the annoying tedium.

All that said, the slave run was good. I settled on the hub for my base since it's in the middle of the map and let me go anywhere in a decent amount of time. Those other places are just too far out of the way. The game really needed fast travel. It was a marvel to see all the cool and weird areas but for the upteenth time going through it? A slog. I hope the sequel mitigates a lot of the tedium. 90% of my playtime is running places and about 40 of that percentage was filled with "oh, this is cool" while the rest was "am I there yet?"

You should import and try playing the game with the damage multiplier cranked up a bit then. It may be exactly what you want. I usually run with 2x dmg for more common de-limbing. It's really tough in the begaining, though.

You can also edit bleed rate and death chance, so it's less likely some bozo saves your enemies.

zedprime posted:

IIRC settlements have an economy that determines their replenishment rate. Most of the Holy Nations or Empire cities have their poo poo together and will continue to do so against normal casualties against hostiles in their territory. But you can attrition war them eventually even if their cap is refilled between fights as it tracks economy things. Eventually it won't be full and if you drag it on long enough I think some people have noticed random world state changes from incidental animal raids or such on a struggling capital.
This is not true. World states are entirely based on the state of specific npcs. UC has a lot of these npcs and its world states are the most complex on the game, with every town having a nobel/slave master and interconnected variables between them. Taking out the master of a slave farm will make everyone in nearby towns malnourished and wreck/change several shops, for example.

There's no counter or whatever that diminishes over combat. The only thing being tracked is those specific special npcs.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 27, 2024

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
thanks to those who suggested skeleton recruits and I got those but I've logged 100 hours here and I've visited every town i n the lands but I've never met a skeleto recruit ever Jeez I guess mods

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rapacity posted:

thanks to those who suggested skeleton recruits and I got those but I've logged 100 hours here and I've visited every town i n the lands but I've never met a skeleto recruit ever Jeez I guess mods

the place in the swamp is the only location ive ever seen them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Without mods I think there's only the few static hires.

You could probably knock some random skeleton down, sell them to slavers, then buy them back and hope they join you.

Otherwise, mods.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Modless I have gotten a couple random generated Skeletons, in UC cities. Pretty sure they're random. Just slumming it in a bar, one named Twitch, but I can't remember the other.

I already had Agnu, Burn and Sadneil though, if that made any different.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, basically there's a pool of generic recruits which each have about a 1% chance to roll as a Skeleton. They're your only option to get a non Agnu/Sadneil/Burn Skeleton outside of starting with them in your party or playing the release slave gacha.

Only Southern hivers are harder to get since wanderers don't even have a chance of spawning as them and you can't start as one without mods so your only options of getting one are breaking the single Unique Southern Hiver recruit out of the pain in the rear end that is Tengu's vault or release slave gacha.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Well, would you believe it but I found one! I bought and repaired a watchtower in Mourn because its a great fun place to hang out and there was one just walking through the town. Only wanted 3k cats so I snapped him up instantly.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
After being out on a trip around the world I came back to my main home of Heft and the bakery which has always been just below my main building is now a house up for sale!! How did that happen?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rip that guy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gentrification, man, what are you gonna do?

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
If you can contain your inner optimization demon then watch what is the ultimate expression of chaos in Kenshi... this dude, I don't even know but somehow he makes order out of chaos but omg what insanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpJD4FfC12s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rapacity posted:

After being out on a trip around the world I came back to my main home of Heft and the bakery which has always been just below my main building is now a house up for sale!! How did that happen?

I assume beak-things happened.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
i've never seen a beak thing anywhere near Heft. Just skimmers there and they rarely get past the gate.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Can shopkeepers be sold into slavery? If so, he probably tripped in front of a mancatcher.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I've seen a rare bug where when you're loading a savegame, but before the area is fully loaded, buildings can appear flagged for sale. If you buy them then it deletes the contents of the building. Which is how I bought Cat-lon's house out from under him and kicked him out.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

silentsnack posted:

I've seen a rare bug where when you're loading a savegame, but before the area is fully loaded, buildings can appear flagged for sale. If you buy them then it deletes the contents of the building. Which is how I bought Cat-lon's house out from under him and kicked him out.

I think that legally makes you the new emperor!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

silentsnack posted:

Fun fact, if you hit quicksave during that load bit and then load back to it later, the world doesn't continue loading and everything is hosed.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Rapacity posted:

So I was in Heft when a Hiver caravan managed to aggro the guards. I think they pissed off a noble? Somehow the clothing store merchant got involved and was KO'd in the entrance to her shop. Then a band of manhunters started enslaving the downed combatants, but they must have tried to enslave someone important (the shopkeeper?) because the guards started attacking them too. This put a bounty on every manhunter.

I had my squad pick up the fallen manhunters. Once things finally calmed down I turned them over to the guard captain. A slave trader caravan arrived and promptly enslaved everyone in jail including the manhunters. I am now allied with the United Cities.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Typical Pubbie posted:

I am now allied with the United Cities.

Now kidnap Emperor Tengu and hand him off to Tinfist for ultimate chaos.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I messed up my Prayer Day and got attacked immediately and beat them all down and imprisoned the Paladins. They are really tough. I then beat the next assault handily but am I to assume they constantly attack from here?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When I hosed up prayer day and beat them down a few times they eventually stopped, but I'm not sure if that's intended behaviour or not.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Base attacks can be mitigated by forcing attackers to wade through water to the first of several closed gates as they're being punctured by many, many harpoons from your turrets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like to put my melee guys in front of the gate. The gate by itself won’t buy the shooters much more time, but if the melee squad have it at their backs nobody can run past them to harass the workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I like to put my melee guys in front of the gate. The gate by itself won’t buy the shooters much more time, but if the melee squad have it at their backs nobody can run past them to harass the workers.

Also, if your lucky, your own harpoons might take a leg or arm off one of your own guys.