Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Here is my Ultimate Write Up if you want to skip the part of the game where you're aimlessly mining rocks for cash and just sort of mindlessly trying to find something productive that's actually doable

Go to The Hub and recruit Hobbs. Hobbs starts with a decent athletics skill and a pair of shoes which makes him fast, fast enough that you can outrun a good deal of threats (just make sure to turn on passive mode so he doesn't try and fight enemies while he runs away). Leave your main character at The Hub, and end Hobbs south and slightly west to Squin, find Ruka and recruit her for free. Unequip/Sell her boots and her sword and possibly her shirt. Run both of them all the way north into the Floodlands and find Burn's Tower near the top. Recruit Burn and loot everything inside that's valuable. Very carefully head east from the tower to find the hidden ninja village (Flotsam Village) and sell all your good loot. Let that group rest for now.

Back in Hub, have your MC move east across the river and find the Waystation filled with Tech Hunters. With your cash, wait until evening and go to the bar to recruit two mercenary groups for two days. Take them north to the Dust King Tower, break in, and have them slaughter everyone inside. You have to do this at night, if you go during the day you'll lose, but at night it's an easy win. Loot the tower, claim your free unit at the top, bandage the Dust King up so he doesn't bleed to death, and then carry him to Squin to drop him in jail and claim your money. With your cash, jump back to the hidden ninja village with your Burns/Ruka/Hobbs and recruit everyone in town, because all the non-generic units here - Digna, Knife, Pia, Reva. All of them are great. Now, look at how many cats you have - if you have more than 6,000 and a little buffer for food money, have your team in Squin recruit Kang.

Now, have all your units brave the Foglands and converge on Mongrel. If any character has boots on that reduce speed, or is above the lowest weight limit, sell the gear - you need to be able to outrun the Fogmen. Once everyone is inside, grab your last batch of units - Beep, Shryke, and Crumblejon. Now come the fun/dangerous part. Go out in search of an unconscious fogman near the gates of town. Pick one up, and bring it to one of the Fogman death yards, preferably one that is directly outside of town. Put the fogman on a pike and wait for princes to come by and start eating it - as long as they don't aggro onto you from fighting, the enemies will not stop eating and praying. Send one (or if you're brave, a lot) of your units and start trying to use Knock Out on the Fogman Heavies that are hanging around. There is a very very low percentage change that they will aggro you if you do this, so run if it does happen, but otherwise keep doing it over and over until you skill is high enough that it works. Put the K.O.'d heavy on a pike. Keep refilling the pikes with unconscious fogmen. Once you've got a nice stack of pikes fulled up, take your entire team and have them start sneaking around. You'll gain sneaking levels insanely fast as you're constantly doing stealth checks against the entire crowd that has gathered. You can easily get to 80+ stealth in like five minutes. 90+ stealth makes you functionally invisible at night, so get a few units over that cap for future shenanigans. During this process, start doing knock outs on the Fogmen princes and stealing their heads. Don't worry about leaving one alive, others will take its place. Each head is worth a ton of cats, so just start a collection. You can endlessly repeat this until you're happy with the amount of skill levels and cash you've made.

So, now you have a well-funded team of units who can stealth their way around random encounters without getting ganked. If you want one final push towards power, buy three or so sets of Tools from the tool shop and head north towards Obedience. Find the ancient lab and break open the main door. Send just one person inside and keep everyone else near the foot of the tower. Make sure you lockpick the gate, don't break it down. Send your unit inside and lure all the spider guards outside to ground level. Drag them far enough for your team to get inside, the run back in and close the gate behind you. The spider AI will break and they'll wander off. Go inside and loot everything and break into the more difficult storage chests with your Tool sets. You should now have even MORE cash, plus some science books and MAYBE an AI core if you're lucky. At this point, you can buy a big house in Mongrel and set up a research station there and start unlocking tech trees without fear of getting raided. The town has tons of shops to get items you need for researching. At this point, if you really wanted to, research Walls 2 and turrets, hire two sets of Tech Hunters, and you could easily start your own base in one of the safer regions like Okran's Pride. From there, you've got WAY more options, and your mining will be much more useful since you can convert the ore into weapons and armor which you can sell while also boosting your craftsman's levels.

One addition: putting units on Passive is not enough. If an enemy gets into melee range and makes an attack, your units will stop to fight no matter what settings you've given them. Enable Passive+Block so they are less likely to get hit when an enemy swings as the run past, but more importantly whenever someone lights up as being targeted you spam move-orders by continuously holding RMB to interrupt their defense AI with "no that [self preservation] will get you eaten alive you moron, just GTFO and don't stop running"

edit: am I mistaken or does wearing a stolen uniform let you train Stealth by sneaking near your squadmates? Because once you get a 100% disguise rating you have a chance of being detected by your own units, meaning there are skill success/fail checks being performed...

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Suppose I want to build on the hill just north of Mongrel, where I can completely ignore cannibal raids because fogmen and Shinobi Guards make great meatshields. Except the game won't let me, because each "town" has some arbitrary exclusion radius that goes far beyond the town itself.

But it will let me build something further away...

...which creates an "outpost" town, that has its own radius where I'm allowed to build stuff.

Curiously, it doing this will let me build in Mongrel's exclusion zone.

Also doing this moves the "outpost" marker on the map

And deleting the first house moves the marker again

Now it looks like I CAN build on the hill, so long as I stay outside Mongrel itself.

A warning, save before trying this because occasionally deleting a structure for some reason reassigns the outpost to the nearest Fog Deathyard or Beak Thing Nest, meaning you can't deconstruct (though you can finish the build or pause construction and ignore it since it'll probably eventually despawn on its own if you kill the nest/etc and leave the area?).

Also I haven't actually gotten around to testing it yet, due to getting sidetracked by weirder bugs, but theoretically I think this would let you build a wall that spans the entire continent, or place redundant wind farms in PurpleSands/Heng/Stenn and have those turbines power mines/refineries in Black Desert and wells/farms in Okran's Pride. The only requirement for them to stay part of the same outpost seems to be that you have to build within the radius of your map-marker and to move it you need to create/delete Building-class structure wireframes (so it also requires planning and grinding a ton of resources in advance, because deconstructing/rebuilding indoors facilities is a lot more tedious than haphazardly spamming windmills/shacks across the map).

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 25, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

You should report this to the developer, because that's a really good catch.

I'm sure they'll get right on this absurd bug, instead of the other ~10 I've discovered in the past couple of weeks. :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Welp here's a new one: a workaround for times when you want to make temporary peace with a faction, but their pacifier refuses to talk to because you're allied to a faction they hate and/or you keep beating up their nobles: kidnap the pacifier, shove them in a Peeler Machine, then bandage them. Because imprisoning someone with [diplomatic status] gives you instant -100 relations but giving first aid raises relations up as high as ~+5 in just a few seconds. Optionally you can take them back out and release them.

This can trigger World State changes if you imprison faction leaders/city rulers but Pacifiers and generic Hive Princes should be relatively safe.

Haven't tried with Acid/splinting for blunt damage, which would be slow but might let you avoid the -100... otoh you can just give them a Venge Laser Wedgie :getin:

e: addendum, figured out what causes player-built Buildings to be assigned to NPC towns.

Here's an example using the Grey Desert Waystation, where you can make use of the fact town guards will use turrets in any building with access set to "public"

The issue seems to be caused by having a player-outpost nearby but placing the Building outside of the outpost's territory. Here we see the Waystation's radius so we definitely need to be outside of that, it's just here for reference... also noteworthy is the fact that those rings have abysmal parallax unless you're looking straight down.

Start by placing an ore drill and a shack, which creates an outpost and we see the radius here. We need to know approximately where my outpost officially ends, so I take a look in editor and it checks out.

Since this is just an experiment I place two Watchtowers without putting much more thought into it. The towers need to be slightly too far outside of my outpost's radius for the game to consider them part of the same outpost, but (if you're building near a city) they still need to be fairly close in order to be allowed to build.

So I guess the order of operations is that the game first checks whether the location is valid to build at all, and if so then it places the building and only after that checks to see which town it is inside, and since it is not inside a town and cannot be added to an existing outpost it then attempts to create a new outpost. If it reaches this step but fails to create an outpost (because it is too close to the border of my first outpost?) the fallback is to pick the nearest nonplayer town(???)

This, along with the build-too-close-to-town exploit, would enable some weird symbiotic colonies where you build Watchtowers+turrets for NPC guards to use to defend themselves and you, and build your own base wrapped around the town, with a wall to force enemies into the turret murder alley. If that actually works then Vain might not be such a miserable place to live.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 25, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Skeletons are very rare* by design, though it's really dumb to restrict player options arbitrarily in a sandbox/rpg/etc.

...except for some insane reason there are "Holy Nation Robot" skeletons that wander around searching for paladins to get murdered by(???).

They're easiest to find along the topographical clusterfuck that serves as a road along the border between Wend and Okran's Armpit and they have a chance of just joining you if all their combat stats/skills are 25 or lower AND the first character of your faction they see is a meatbag, but roaming squads respawn infinitely (and they're apparently the only group that spawns in Wend) so you can just visit and hike the Escher Mountain Trail every few days.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

When you've got a setup as iconic as the rabid bigotry of the Holy Nation, you need to set up your game to represent it. The "holy nation robots" are there so that you will occasionally see some poor passing skeleton get completely trashed by a squad of Paladins just for being there.

Yeah obviously that's why the template exists, but I just meant the mechanical behaviors for game/lore/entertainment reasons in general require that everyone in the world is stupid and crazy. Maybe that's part of why kenshi is so surreal, apart from finding bizarre bugs.

Like just to make up for dudes that die from random poo poo like Grey Desert caravans either wandering into Venge and getting lasered/eaten by beak things or wandering into Deadlands and getting melted, or Black Desert Ninjas simply being Black Desert Ninjas, the gameworld basically has to be a tiny cross-section of a bigger world with a population >1000x larger and/or a bunch of ridiculously large gently caress-Factory Complexes reproducing like mad to keep up with the respawn rates. Though there's probably a FFC mod on el slab but I'm not gonna bother looking it up, and more importantly even if it doesn't actually exist there's a mod in your mind and now you just have to deal with that fact. You're welcome.

Current favorite bug has to be the ability to instantly escape fights by placing a Storm House anywhere, pausing house construction, placing a crossbow turret on a roof node, giving one guy some iron plates and ordering him to build the turret, and making the rest of the squad follow him, then closing and locking the door. Somehow you're protected from many enemies simply by having the idea of a house. Not to mention that you can actually stand on the nonexistent roof and build turrets and shoot things, for maximum cheese.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you need to do anything special to get squad members to share food? I'm seeing old google search results about a toggle in the settings but it doesn't seem to exist any more.

The option is the same place it has been: buried in UI jank. If you want to configure your party's behaviors, open the squad/map/research menu and switch to the the [AI] tab at the top of that interface.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Leal posted:

Finally, my little hang out areas can look clean instead of a slap dash of stools being somewhat near a table

And mine can still look insanely stupid, with too many workbenches clipped into one another so the workers can't path outside and the only way to enter or leave is to glitch through the wall by teleporting between nearby chairs.

Unrelated but here's something I found a while back when experimenting with the build-too-close-to-town exploit:

Filling the Scraphouse with a bunch of tiny sheds, because fuckit why not.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Would that actually make it easier to sneak and steal in there?

Somewhat, but I don't think it'll make a huge difference? Since the guards mostly stay in the middle section (where you can't build either way, even with the exploit) if all you're trying to do is create blindspots to hide/steal then makeshift walls/partitions would probably be easier to place.

Or if you're gonna be making use of loopholes in poorly-handled interactions between game mechanics to steal stuff, you can save yourself the hassle and just have another character pick up your thief and carry them around. Position the duo within inventory-transfer range of the container and have someone open it (doesn't matter who, I think by default if you have the thief selected and order them to move/interact then the command gets passed to the carrier) but the important part is you then switch to the thief's inventory before actually stealing stuff. If you fail the skillcheck to steal something, only the character whose inventory is open at that time gets the "caught stealing" criminal flag, but it seems like there's an oversight the reacting-to-criminals AI in that it doesn't react to someone who is being carried. So when the guard gets alerted he'll just walk right past your weird quantum bandit duo to search for the burglar for a few seconds before giving up. (Unless you're also trespassing and/or already have a bounty and/or they hate you for entirely legitimate reasons :v:) This exploit is also the fastest way to train Thievery skill, in order to have a thief that is simply good at stealing stuff if you don't want to make the game too easy but also don't want to grind for ages.

Another thing the octodad-pretending-to-be-a-backpack trick lets you do is load down one character with a ridiculous stack of backpacks, then have someone else carry them. Picking someone up always applies a fixed 30kg(?) carryweight offset (regardless of how many naginatas/hashcubes/etc they are hiding in their rear end) so if that offset doesn't put the carrier isn't over weight capacity they only get a 25% penalty to stealth due to carrying someone (if it does put them over the limit, move some of their stuff to the payload-holder's inventory) so with decent skills gear to boost movespeed/stealth you can have 2 characters carry insane amounts of of stuff around, running full speed while sneaking. Especially if you make a gimmick of using assassination/thievery/stealth and Copious Application of Cheese to steal the entire holy nation, starting with shopkeepers' backpacks. You can also use a corpse for this, but the items might become marked as stolen goods and also sometimes corpses despawn.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Dalaram posted:

When ever in Kenshi is the answer NOT get your rear end kicked? Remember the ABC’s

Always
Be
Crawling to a bed to recover after your last asskicking

Unless you've got skeletons in which case you can vegetank in bed indefinitely.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm a few hours in and learning the ropes.

I'm having some trouble with getting my workers to eat. I've got 5 recruits mining + hauling back to my house, but 3 of them never go back and are starving. The 2 that do go back seem to eat out of the food storage just fine. They all have the same job loadout, am I doing something wrong or is this just the game being weird?

Also before making my first base should I get a few recruits and build up some combat skills, or will I be OK with just walls and some mounted crossbows?

Sounds like you're talking about having bought a house in a city. Just a guess but I'd think certain automation logic/triggers like "pathfind to a non-empty food storage" only execute inside a player-owned base/city/building. Which I'd guess is an intentional limitation after a whole bunch of super-dumb-AI bugs like breaking into locked houses at night to try and steal ore.

So for a potential fix, add some operation to at least one guy's work routine to make him enter the house where your food is stored? You can just have your "haul ore to storage" double as sandwich runner if the 'share food' setting is enabled (open the squad/research/etc UI and AI/Automation is the tab on the right)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Right building materials would be hard too, unless there's a hybrid stone processor somewhere out in the wild.

What would be a good city which could eventually become nearly self sufficient? It would need a few buildings for sale, preferably lots of traders, and it would need to rain enough for water collectors or have a well.

There's a hybrid stone mine/processor at the abandoned holy mine just west of Iron Valleys, just make sure your dude running the machine is set to stay in stealth mode. You don't even need to power it, because generators owned by non-player factions produce power forever without fuel. Also don't ask why the Holy Nation is allowed to build forbidden lost tech.

Also if you go to UC slave camps you can take ore/stone from the mines and load it into the processsors, then take the iron/building materials, and nobody gives a gently caress. As long as you're not hostile to slavers/UC yet obviously. Or you could just assassinate/kidnap all the slavers and feed them to wildlife/cannibals/etc.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Fite people instead, less likely to eat you after knocking you unconscious.

Hungry bandits should be your go-to for the 5-25 range. Solo is rough because you have to be hella selective in your engagements, which makes leveling slower.

You could get a research up to level 3 for a cage, buy up a shack on hub, then beat and kidnap someone to put in that lil abuse shack. Hella serial killer tho

Edit: beaten like an attack training prisoner. Oh my god this game is for serial killers.

If you don't like being a slave, go visit the Shek cops and borrow their training dummy Mk3 (can train up to 15 Melee Attack) and occasionally they'll yell at you and beat you up for some free(?) Melee Defense + Toughness training, since they seem to have functionally infinite bandages and when you're in jail your nutrition can't drop below malnourished, so you have much lower risk of getting spider'd/beakthing'd or bleeding out from a fight gone sideways.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah it just takes forever to get crops going in a city because hydroponics is so far down the research tree. So you're making grocery trips for ages before you're really self sufficient.

Depends on the city, because if there are wells/farms and mines/refineries owned by the city-faction you can use them and nobody gets mad about taking the products, but it's harder to automate the process.

If your city is in UC/HN there's a bonus: slaves will "operate" a building regardless of whether it has necessary resources, but if you go around delivering inputs and swiping outputs... you can accidentally (re)invent some economic theories :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Turpitude posted:

Also you can put robot dudes with turrets on top of walls and remove ramps to them.

You can do that with your entire squad since ramps (among other things) don't seem to have multiple physics states as far as pathfinding is concerned, so your dudes can walk on anything even if it's still at the "blueprint placed but no materials added" stage of construction. Just place a new ramp (and pause its construction) to leave again.

You can't place blueprints on or order units to [go here] and stand on a floor/roof/etc that hasn't been built yet, but they'll still walk to reach a target. Also you can build crossbow on nodes since those don't care if the floor exists?

Also you can pick up mercenaries and the game treats them as unconscious so you can steal their stuff and give them better equipment. They might get mad if one of them is still conscious and sees you with the [committing a crime!] tag... but the ERROR bots from the deadlands lab don't, and mechanically they're just mercenaries in a faction that hates everything (except you) and have a permanent bodyguard contract. ~30 skeletons does a lot for base defense if you give them better weapons/armor. Especially when you can use them to beat up and kidnap/rob friendly or neutral patrols/caravans, without any reputation penalty (you can even gain some for bandaging the wounded, if you feel like it)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

where's everyone's favorite town
Early: hang around Gray Desert Waystation and kite raiders into eachother (or guards/turrets) to loot a ton of decent-quality gear and get acid/laser rain immunity for anyone that needs it.

Later: Black Desert City for research/manufacturing/etc in the middle of the map, with someone running west to the abandoned mine that has a (semi-automated) Hybrid Mine and a generator that produces power without ever needing fuel. One worker can make all the building materials you'll ever need.

McSlaughter posted:

Slopeless was the de facto mod for something like this but it has since stopped being updated by its creator. I thought that one of the big modder packs picked it up but they might have just incorporated a similar style of building construction into their own mod configuring... so I am not sure about that.

And anyway, if loving with and inevitably loving up stuff by forcing janky, game-breaking and physics-defying poo poo to work after painstaking effort isn't Kenshi, then what is?
my workaround: open the map editor, select building, and "reset" the rotation state. It snaps to 0/0/0 and you can tweak it however. You have to unload/reload the area (or just save/restart) before the simulation actually uses the new position for collisions/interactions/pathing.

SugarAddict posted:

The reason why people don't like to base in the holy nation is the holy nation is hostile to everyone that isn't a white male. The holy nation however is great for is STEALING FROM. They have places you can go into, knock out one guy, and just steal everything and more importantly, is an excellent source of food.

I build a base with a watchtower/stationhouse that puts the map marker into the edge of HN territory, so I can use their farmland and they send raids at me, but I've built my walls out of cheese, so if meatbags want to make me worship their dumb whitey god they'll have to stand in an acid lake. Need to melt a lot of paladins to plate out my blasphemous PROTEC errorbots.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't put stone / ore processors inside purchased buildings?

There are a couple of nice mods that add miniaturized indoor versions of drills/processors and similar industrial buildings. Other than that yeah you have to deal with raiders and/or tax bullshit.

If you really want an easy time with raiders, there's a relatively minor glitch that lets you bend some of the more arbitrary restrictions on where you can build.

silentsnack posted:

Suppose I want to build on the hill just north of Mongrel, where I can completely ignore cannibal raids because fogmen and Shinobi Guards make great meatshields. Except the game won't let me, because each "town" has some arbitrary exclusion radius that goes far beyond the town itself.

But it will let me build something further away...

...which creates an "outpost" town, that has its own radius where I'm allowed to build stuff.

Curiously, it doing this will let me build in Mongrel's exclusion zone.

Also doing this moves the "outpost" marker on the map

And deleting the first house moves the marker again

Now it looks like I CAN build on the hill, so long as I stay outside Mongrel itself.

A warning, save before trying this because occasionally deleting a structure for some reason reassigns the outpost to the nearest Fog Deathyard or Beak Thing Nest, meaning you can't deconstruct (though you can finish the build or pause construction and ignore it since it'll probably eventually despawn on its own if you kill the nest/etc and leave the area?).
And after further experimentation I found a couple of other weird interactions that can give even funnier results

silentsnack posted:

Welp here's a new one: a workaround for times when you want to make peace with a faction, but their pacifier refuses to talk to you because you're allied to a faction they hate and/or you keep beating up their nobles (or because the faction doesn't have any pacifiers): kidnap the pacifier (or gang boss), shove them in a Peeler Machine, then bandage them. Because imprisoning someone with [diplomatic status] gives you instant -100 relations but giving first aid raises relations up as high as ~+5 in just a few seconds. Optionally you can take them back out and release them.
[.....]
e: addendum, figured out what causes player-built Buildings to be assigned to NPC towns.

Here's an example using the Grey Desert Waystation, where you can make use of the fact town guards will use turrets in any building with access set to "public"

The issue seems to be caused by having a player-outpost nearby but placing the Building outside of the outpost's territory. Here we see the Waystation's radius so we definitely need to be outside of that, it's just here for reference... also noteworthy is the fact that those rings have abysmal parallax unless you're looking straight down.

Start by placing an ore drill and a shack, which creates an outpost and we see the radius here. We need to know approximately where my outpost officially ends, so I take a look in editor and it checks out.

Since this is just an experiment I place two Watchtowers without putting much more thought into it. The towers need to be slightly too far outside of my outpost's radius for the game to consider them part of the same outpost, but (if you're building near a city) they still need to be fairly close in order to be allowed to build.

So I guess the order of operations is that the game first checks whether the location is valid to build at all, and if so then it places the building and only after that checks to see which town it is inside, and since it is not inside a town and cannot be added to an existing outpost it then attempts to create a new outpost. If it reaches this step but fails to create an outpost (because it is too close to the border of my first outpost?) the fallback is to pick the nearest nonplayer town(???)

This, along with the build-too-close-to-town exploit, would enable some weird symbiotic colonies where you build Watchtowers+turrets for NPC guards to use to defend themselves and you, and build your own base wrapped around the town, with a wall to force enemies into the turret murder alley. If that actually works then Vain might not be such a miserable place to live.

Combining the first and third bugs lets you build a fortress *around the outside* of Mongrel/Shark/Mourn or other neutral/friendly towns like TechHunter outposts or Hiver villages, with town guards that help in defense.

And since the second bug lets you make almost any faction neutral... team up with some neutralized bandits/ninjas or Venge/Ashlands murderbots so they ignore you, but still beat up any raiders (and help you steal from caravans)

I'm pretty sure these bugs were all reported years ago but never got fixed, so they can be effectively considered official unplanned """features""" and exploiting them isn't cheating but just an optional part of the Kenshi Jankiness Simulator experience.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean if you're willing to do that kind of obviously exploitive poo poo just use a mod, nobody's going to make fun of you.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have left it up to the reader to infer that post was meant to illustrate why it would be pointless to avoid mods due to concerns about whether a quality-of-life mod breaks game balance: the game is already such an unbalanced wonky mess that even when trying to stay within the rules in a 100% vanilla playthrough you might find yourself accidentally using exploits if you encounter an unexpected quirky game mechanic and don't immediately stop to investigate.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

The mechanics behind this are pretty simple. The guys following you run a script with a fixed chance to play certain dialogue trees after you leave the general area of the settlement you freed them from. Depending on which number is rolled they join or gently caress off.

Also, like everything else, there's the other simple (but unpredictable/inconsistent) test of whether the script bugs out for some incidental reason.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

My brain worms refuse to engage with any game that doesn't have objectives. What are some cool things that can be achieved that could work as goals?

"beat up entire nations of assholes, and feed their rear end in a top hat king to your dog"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

McSlaughter posted:

Also once you find most of the Hive recruits first off, it seems they become a lot less common to stumble on in major cities.

Renewable hiver recruits aren't rare; they're nonexistent. From the wiki:

quote:

Bar squads such as the [generic NPC recruits] will NOT respawn or change over time. If you have emptied a bar, or they got killed, do not expect it to refill at some point. An Import must be performed for any of them to refill.

You can recruit an arbitrary number of hivers by using Goofy Player Shenanigans to get them enslaved (without triggering the conditions that make them blame you) and then """rescuing""" them. Also getting them grabbed by Cannibals might work too, but even if it does they would have a significant chance of bleeding out.

If those sound too exploity for you there's the fallback option of building an outpost (or three or however many) in UC/HN territory and/or Flat's Lagoon, and waiting for one to wander in and join

edit after remembering the time I made a base so big it crashed reality... there's the chance of hiver caravans running into trouble and getting enslaved, so as long as your machine has ram for it you can station one squad member in each UC city and occasionally switch to them to make the game spawn active patrols, and zoom/pan your camera to see if there are any hivers about.

also tldr on the shenanigans: I think the safest way to get someone enslaved without breaking the canJoin script is to stealth around (so the NPC has never seen a member of your faction at all), wait until they get KO'd fighting monsters/bandits/etc (so they don't consider you an enemy from failed stealth-KO) and bandage/grab them while they're unconscious, then take them to a slave shop and drop them on the floor so the slave trader enslaves them before they can get up (they somehow know if you directly put them into a cage or shackle them)

or, as always, just skip all that poo poo and use a mod

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 6, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

be nice to newbie

it's kenshi, subjecting yourself to needlessly complicated/inconvenient dumb bullshit is how you improve your skills as a player; just as you torture your characters to make them stronger

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

There's a reason why there are mods that speed up the dodge animation so this doesn't happen.

Offense only, but you can always kidnap more hostile skeletons and cage them instead.

Can't dodge if you're in crab armor and your arms and legs are broken and/or missing, which really speeds up training. Just give your sparring buddy a rusty katana so they hit rapidly but do no damage, while you twerk defiantly at them.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I started as a Wanderer for the most generic/beginner way to start. I was reading the various beginner tutorial tips and didn't think to pause the game. I glance over at my character info and see that I'm somehow injured despite being in the middle of The Hub, an ostensibly well-guarded town.

After looking around and seeing the guards zooming around like Sanic, apparently there's just random bandits kamikaze-ing their way into town and one of them smacked me before being put into the dying state. Also, on the southeast end of town, there was another entirely separate siege by slavers duking it out with bandits who were also duking it out with the the town guards.

I knew the game was supposed to be brutal, but I didn't realize it would be this chaotic as well. :stonklol:

e: Also, apparently stealing from bandits is still considered stealing. Huh. Is there a reliable way to scavenge and loot dead bandits/slavers to turn some coin without being put in jail myself?

Getting beaten up by the police and arrested is not that bad of a thing in Kenshi. If you find yourself in that situation it can help to put all of your characters in passive AI-mode (if you want to keep your units who haven't already aggro'd the law don't [defend ally] themselves into jail as well) and if you want to shorten your sentence set them to defend-only so they don't get extra charges for fighting the fuzz.

Looting the dead only becomes a crime if you get spotted before your [committing a crime!] tag expires (usually after a few seconds if you don't do it right in front of a guard), so stealth skill helps.

If someone is a member of an outlaw/bandit faction or has a [bounty] tag you can pick them up (note that if the command says "kidnap" then it isn't someone safe to grab, so maybe consider not doing it while someone is watching) and carry them out of sight to loot them.

Picking up corpses is basically never a crime. Same for looting members of the wild animals faction, and a few universally-hated factions like omnicidal robots.

If someone is KO'd but recovers enough to be [playing dead...] then regardless of outlaw status when you try to loot them it rolls skillcheck to test whether you get caught pickpocketing. But if you pick them up somehow they automatically get KO'd and cannot wake up until ~5s(?) after you put them down again

If you're in a town/base with no actual cops and no jail and the ruling faction aren't uptight pricks, then even if you do some minor crimes the only people who get mad are the faction you offended. So you can loot a lot better stuff with lower risks at a Waystation.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

That Guy Bob posted:

What? Stealing from bandits is never a crime. Its only a "crime" if you loot from a faction that's friendly with the local faction. Dry loot bandits in plain sight until you figure out what's worth clicking on or not. It's only considered "stealing" because the game has wonky rear end mechanics.

The game doesn't make it clear which factions are friends, is the thing. Especially in places where "criminal gang" and "the local ruling authority" blur together, like UC and Swamp and real life.

Either way all that tedious crap like clicking all the downed bodies to see who is comatose vs playing dead vs very dead... or in a more general sense: paying attention to what's going on nearby, unrelated to what you're doing, and using camera controls and checking tooltips and clicking on stuff to get more information than the UI normally gives unless you go looking for it, is kindof a useful skill in Kenshi.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 16, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

MinutePirateBug posted:

Kenshi 2 is going to be a janky mess, but I've found the games I put the most hours into and like the most are all janky messes.

If Kenshi 2 isn't janky on its own, there'll probably be plenty of mods to bring back the jank.

And remembering an example of the kind of inconsistencies I mentioned yesterday, there's a fun corner-case I discovered while doing bank heist in Heng/Edge: apparently the issue is that Trader's Guild is allied to both UC and Slave traders... but for some reason the Manhunters/Slavehunters, who will enslave anyone that isn't their friend, are friendly to Slavers and nobody else. (also seems that Manhunters and Slave Hunters aren't even friends with eachother, even though they're both functionally subsidiaries of the slaver guild. also why do they need to be two separate factions just to have different sets of uniforms? wtf design choices abound.)

So where's this going? The guards at the bank are part of the Trader's Guild and after I knocked them out and dumped them in an alley, some roaming slavehunter shackled them. Which led to the unusual situation of there being ~3 slaves who were members of the Trader's Guild faction, following their owner according to the slave AI routine, in a city that is technically Trader's Guild jurisdiction and full of their soldiers and allied forces. So when the caravan got outside the city and the caravan boss+guards got distracted by rebels, one of the slaves decided to try to escape, which gave them the [escaped slave] criminal tag. Since they made their escape attempt right in front of the UC gate guards the UC police immediately started attacking the escapee; this caused all the nearby Trader's Guild guards to [defend ally] and assist, which led to a big stupid clusterfuck of everyone-vs-everyone fighting in the streets. At least one trade caravan got involved, and a UC patrol, and during the course of the brawl occasionally someone would enter a building and aggro the shopkeeper's guards. (At some point Longen's bodyguards joined in, but I'm not sure what would've happened if Longen himself had gotten arrested/killed/enslaved, or if [diplomatic status] magically grants immunity to NPC aggro.)

TLDR go clubbing with a mallcop and start a civil war, then watch the fireworks while casually dragging 3 quantumbackpackmans loaded with tons of pearls and hash over to your shinobi pals.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 17, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

If you have a squad of more than one PCs and you manage to wipe and all of them get eaten I don't know what to tell you, run away sooner and maybe it's OK to lose a single guy

Yeah when you get your rear end handed to you in a way you didn't expect/intend, generally that's when you're supposed to reflect on what happened and figure out whether there's a lesson you should be learning.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I did a writeup on this probably over a year ago at this point but the Foglands is one of the absolute best zones to jump-start your team in the early-game. You can set your whole team to sneak behind a group of fogmen who are praying at a sacrifice pole and your sneak will shoot up to like 80+ in a few minutes because of a combination of the volume of enemies and the levels of the heavies and princes. You do have to be near an NPC for stealth to go up, but certain actions (like sleeping or the fogmen praying) will disable/significantly lower an NPC's stealth detect level, so you can gain free points

You can also have your whole team assassinate the same fogman to skyrocket that stat as well, but just like sleeping, trying to KO a fogman during prayer will have a chance to activate them and then a small group will turn and try to fight you. A few failed hits against even a basic Fogman will bring your stat up to like, 20 or so, and from there it's easy to just chain knockout enemies to get up to 80. From there you just KO a fogman, put them on the pole, which draws more fogmen, and then you KO and loot the prince heads for a ton of cats

Also seems mildly insane but once you've got some stealth stat, and a few levels of lockpick, if you're Playing Stupid Games in a deathyard and get swarmed you can break aggro by climbing up a sacrifice pole. You might get hit once or twice but fogmen (and most NPCs) will stop attacking prisoner restrained in a cage/pole/etc owned by their faction (wild animals will still eat you alive, which can be used for toughness training).

Just make sure you choose a pole with a low enough level to lockpick, and activate sneaking before escaping if you want to get out without getting hit again.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, iirc you can only level that stat by shooting your own people in the back, but it quickly gets up to acceptable levels if you have them shoot off toothpick crossbows into a fracas

Haven't actually tried but I'd guess you could make a target practice range by trapping a beakthing (or robocrab) inside a shed, putting a repair bed nearby, and giving your favorite skeleton recruit some Toughness training by having them facetank toothpicks for days

Maybe crab armor and/or junkbow if your training buddy is a meatball that can't insta-regen the damage

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Azhais posted:

Best to train them one at a time, the massive toughness boosts you get for standing up are somewhat negated if you're doing it to help allies

Yeah toughness boost depends on the ratio of enemies:allies "nearby" so if you're just looking for max stats then yeah, going to Skinner's Roam to fight hobos (and maxing out "NPC squad size" slider) while everyone else runs laps at least one mapchunk away, because the other side of not-getting-your-rear end-kicked is high athletics/stealth.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

I don't think it depends on numbers, I got the biggest increases by being hit by security spiders, only actively fighting one.
IMO the trick to best toughness gain is getting hit while your chest/head/stomach are below 0, but not so much that you end up in recovery coma or dead.

There are two general ways to gain toughness. You're talking about the XP gained upon taking damage, it wasn't exactly clear but I was referring to the other one:

When a character recovers from being KO'd, if there are still hostiles around the AI defaults to 'playing dead' like a chump. But if the player gives a move or attack command, it forces them to stand up and they gain toughness XP proportional to how stupidly one-sided of a fight they're jumping back into, while their rear end is already/still mostly-kicked. That's where it helps to get into fights with enemies that will repeatedly clobber but only use blunt weapons, and are very unlikely to leave you mortally wounded.

Also I guess there's the bonus for having your arms crippled/missing, but intentionally getting your dudes dismembered is more an intermediate-level of applied insanity?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

Even just a general hauling job would work wonders. Something you can toggle on and off I guess would be the most in-line way to handle it

Or maybe past a certain point you can upgrade your buildings to abstract out the entire production chain, so like instead of having to have 5 guys collectively spend 5 minutes dinking around making all the intermediary copper and iron bullshit that goes into making a repair kit or whatever (plus 2~4 minutes of meaningless busywork hauling crap from A to B to C to D) your roboticist just furiously twiddles his thumbs at the workbench for 7~8 minutes and makes a kit from nothingness.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bogart posted:

Does anybody else tend to have midgame characters with way higher Toughness than any other stat because their best attribute is getting the poo poo beaten out of them?

For me it's usually athletics because my stupid gimmicky playstyle usually involves less fighting on safe home turf and more avoiding or retreating from any enemy that can't be favorably cheesed, on account of spending the early game traveling long distances to explore and sneak around in gnarlier regions. Which makes any given combat calculus resolve to a binary of either a successful ambush/curbstomp, or a total party wipe.

"Ugh why did I think it would be funny to build a farm in Venge, this place suuuucks"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Also, I have a base and I have a training room where prisoners are well kept, but whenever I send in a trainee the entire base will run to their defense. I want them to run to the defense of people if the gates are breached but not if someone is fighting in the training room. Right now I just sit an wait for people to run to the building then grab them and put them on hold, but is there someway to change this so I don't have to do that every time?

AI reactions will ignore "ally is under attack, must drop everything to go defend!" behavior if the ally in question is too far away, so you can e.g. build a second base in another region or better yet buy a shed in some NPC-owned city or waystation, since cities don't get raided, just random wanderers aggro the gate guards but you can help them for combat practice and also free loot and prisoners to sell into slavery if that's your thing.

Other mechanics to keep in mind are that NPCs/animals in a player-owned cage get hungry and can starve to death if you forget them too long (as soon as they're loose, or you have someone carrying them, they magically restore foodmeter for free) but also most animals can't path through doorways so you can trap them inside almost any house avoid and not have to feed them. Or train with robospiders or de-leg'd feral skeletons since they never get hungry either way and you can instantly heal them with a repair bed.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Fun discovery: when a character is in the middle ~40% of the windup animation to stealth-KO someone, you can actually make multiple attempts by clicking repeatedly. Which trains Assassination insanely fast, and also increases your chances of success and the target can still raise the alarm if your first roll(s) fail but if you're really sneaky and/or there's nobody else in line-of-sight the AI will quickly forget.

Also even if you succeed, if you spam inputs fast enough you can succeed multiple times, which gives tons of XP

edit: ...and if there are multiple enemies in range, and you rapidly pause or you accidentally click on someone else, you can KO several targets with one *bonk* animation.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 6, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I'll have to try to make a run in this game without cheesy bullshit sometime instead of abusing janky mechanics...

will that be day today?

nope lmao

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

the immortal words of wisdom "I main [five identical wakizashis] with [merc club] as backup"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

I tried physically shifting the building with that Shift+F12 system and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I was just trying out the build mode from a fresh start anyway so not really a big deal. At least I know it's a bit touchy now.

as far as I can tell, if you move a building with the debug editor, you have to save the game and reload before you can actually use it because the Edit Position tool doesn't update the collision mesh or the doorway location. always had to do it when resetting to 0,0 rotation to make my poo poo level, barbecue otherwise dudes will get stuck under the floor or glitch through walls and other nonsense.

TheMostFrench posted:

e: Haha stealing stuff from people is weird, a little (commit crime) note comes up and you just have to wait for that timer to expire before trying again, so a dude is sleeping in his house and I keep failing to take fabric off his bench, if I just....focus! Then another person came into the house and immediately walked out as soon as they saw me even though the 'committing crime' timer was active?

This is some great jank.
Something really amazing is that you don't get in trouble if your character isn't seen with the "i'm doing crimes" tag, and characters that are being carried by someone else are considered unconscious and invisible so what you do is give one guy like 3 backpacks to swap between and then pick him up. have someone else open a storage container and then switch control to your invisible quantum bandit to loot everything. even if you get caught standing right in front of the shopkeeper they don't react or raise the alarm or call the guards and they don't get permanently mad at you for stealing (as long as you don't slip up and use the wrong character to grab an item) so you can grind Stealing skill to 100 easily, and completely clean out e.g. Holy Mine storage full of building materials.

Might need to steal some shopkeeper backpacks to carry all the junk though, which requires using Assassination to knock out the shopkeeper when no guards are looking. They're the best backpack in the game for carrying lots of stuff, but they're terrible for exploration/combat/combat unless you abuse the "carried units don't count" cheese.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 17, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Does a settlement have to get to a certain size before raids on it start happening or can it just be a little shack in the middle of nowhere before enemies start showing up?

"Camping" items don't create an outpost, I've never used any "decorations" so dunno whether those count, other than that basically any structure you order from the build menu will create an 'outpost' map marker (if there isn't already one nearby) and immediately starts the timers for raids/taxes/caravans/etc as soon as the blueprint is placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's really funny that the Spartacus scenario is somehow the least game-y method of building up toughness. How else is it done, besides picking fights with patrols with a medic hiding nearby?

Punch Shek cops for free amputation/bandaging. Or let fogmen gnaw your legs off, if you're feeling spicy.