Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
One thing to mention is that there's not really territory conquering in the traditional sense. NPC's will still spawn even if you have patrols all over the place. You're trying to survive in a hilariously deadly world, not rule it. Ditto for all the NPC's, which are persistent at least somewhat. Even if you increase your squad cap and number of squads to 99 you're still just a fairly small to medium sized organization in a world of established nations and groups. You can stake out a pretty sizable claim however. It's very much a late game thing though, usually.

Also, each biome has something amazing about it and there's currently like 20-25 of them.

To give an idea of it: The Fog Valleys are infested with weird bug men that will swarm your characters in absolutely massive numbers and knock them out. If they do so they'll carry them off to one of their ritual sites and begin eating them. All of this takes place in real time and if you fail to do so you can see the character screaming at the top of their lungs from like a mile away if they begin their feast. They eat the limbs first, then the parts that are vital to staying alive. Other NPC's, escaped slaves from the empires using the region as a fool proof method of traveling to avoid slave hunters and criminals may also fall prey to this. It's basically a persistent zombie apocalypse in a low visibility area.

Also, the fog is poisonous and you'll need STALKER style gas masks, gear, and strategies to get further into the area, never mind even go into the fog. Any bug men you have may also go apeshit cannibal and suddenly decide to join the hive mind too if you don't have support for them. On the upside though it's one of the places where the big empires won't bother you if you manage to piss all of them off! Setting up a base there means constant attacks from hordes of easily killable bug men. However once you're self sufficient (IE: A central building with hydroponics, crafting, turrets on the walls, etc, etc.) you're pretty much set to raid the Holy Empire with nearly no chance of reprisal.

Speaking of empires, both of the big human ones are colossal assholes. The southern one is corrupt as hell and practices slavery. Just being in their territory requires you to pay regular bribes to a "tax collector" (Really a guard squadron that shows up.). The other human one is super religious, hates women having leading roles, and requires you to actually follow their religion to not go hostile. They also practice slavery and have a massive mining quarry you can actually raid to start off slave rebellions.

Meanwhile, in the forest of screams you might wonder why everything is so pleasant. At least, until the buck-rear end naked homicidal bandits named "Screaming Bandits" come sprinting over the hills and out of the treeline with each one screaming the words "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" at the top of their lungs.

Diplomacy with them is fun. You basically scream back at them in the right way and tone until they decide you're bro's and should hang around. Ironically, they're one of the nicer sentient factions. If they catch you in their forest they'll just beat the poo poo out of you and your allies with planks and two-by-fours until you're all unconscious as a warning to get out instead of enslaving you, eating you, using you for spare parts, enslaving you then working you to death and then eating you. Getting there however is a challenge. Much like the fog valley it's nearly an epic quest (The entire world is done from the third person perspective. No Mount and Blade style world map traveling here.) that's liable to see many men and women murdered or sucked dry by blood spiders and other nasties.

Edit: Also, I should mention that all of this stuff isn't done through cinematics or anything similar. Rather, it's done in real time in the game world. So if a character gets enslaved by the Holy Empire you can stage a raid under cover of darkness. Or just sneak in with one dedicated ninja and free everyone as a cover for your team member to escape. Likewise, if a bandit group is extorting you you can track down their base of operations and slaughter everyone inside with the right gear even early on. Which takes them out of commission until they recruit enough replacements/cannon fodder.

Ditto for faction leaders. Taking one out fucks the faction up something fierce. Taking one captive (You too can take captives for all sorts of unsavory uses. Including labor.) also provokes a massive assault followed by either a hostage negotiation or other rival groups asking if they can have him for major boons. Think of it like a global version of capture the flag with people, katana's, and spear guns.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I will say that i'm remarkably pissed that they aren't putting in proper faction and territorial conquests from the sound of things. It's a nice world to play in but without the factions actually being able to take stuff over (yours included) you can easily run into a "Well what do I do now?" sort of problem once you get self sufficient and defended from all nearby threats.

Granted, that takes possibly days of playing it, so there's a lot of game there. Still, it comes just short of potentially being the perfect game and it's frustrating as hell. The game comes with a full set of mod tools however. So it's rectifiable if someone wants to fix it. It took me like 15 minutes to make an "artificer guild" faction that started with the ability to build pre-apocalypse fortress buildings and car sized robotic attack spiders to guard my outpost. Both of which are not doable in a vanilla game.

Other neat stuff: There's another playable race of man sized robots. They're loving hardcore to fight and can take a lot of punishment. However, the real interesting thing is that they're a crucial part of the story hidden in the game. A story that's told mostly in the Dark Souls style of presentation. Except If you have a robot talk to some other robots it's evident that something fishy is going on.

The robots like all the playable factions have their own nation. It's in an area that only robots can really travel into safely without having some beefy characters. Why? Because it looks at Warhammer 40K and laughs at their concept of death worlds. To put it in perspective, the environmental hazards start at "dodging death from orbital laser bombardment", rapidly escalates to "acid rain that will literally melt the flesh from a character's bones is falling from the skies" as you get closer, and gets progressively worse from there. And if you want to finish putting the pieces together you will have to go there. Never mind that the robots turn out to be the most technological faction in the game at the moment. Meaning they have the best blueprints and gear for travelers.

On top of that, to give an idea of how sandbox the game is it's entirely possible to run your own store. You can buy or build a building and set it as a shop and nearby NPC's may decide to check it out to see if you have anything for sale. Thieves will also try to steal stuff from it too, necessitating guards.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 9, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

is my boy Infinite Wingwang still in

Yup. Along with a bunch of other named characters.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

linall posted:

The analogy to Dwarf Fortress can certainly be made, but the M&B comparison ( start as one guy, level up, recruit more people and slowly take over and build up parts of the world ) is really strong. DF combat is certainly more similar to Kenshi than M&B is though.

Anyway, picked this up yesterday. I didn't have a ton of time to put into it but I quite like what I've played so far. I am curious about faction relations though. Obviously attacking/stealing from factions will drop faction relation but how do you actually build them up? Is there any way to do so aside from hoping to wander across someone from that faction who is hurt?

Also is the only way to up defensive skill to have someone hit you? As near as I can tell training dummies only seem to raise attack skill ( which makes sense I suppose) but I just wanted to make sure.

As far as I know it is. You need to be able to block the attacks.

If you want to train it in a safe environment then capture someone and enslave them. Then put them in a cage and construct an arena. Make sure they have food and medical attention. You can then strip them once they're in the cage of any lethal weaponry and use them as training dummies that fight back. Just remember to have your characters that are skilled enough to hit them on their own go bare knuckle like the captives are or it'll be a pretty short fight.

TL;DR: Think of the process of doing things in the scale of Dwarf Fortress. A lot of the stuff that works there works here.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 10, 2018