Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

pfft who needs rail lines to the factory when we have giga piles of dirt to put up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lmao if they sold the land thats some rando just stacking dirt in the middle of elons poo poo

:lol:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thank u elon for all the laughs we've shared

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/HoIdMyBeaker/status/1028856082121121792

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hey elon it didn't work when the republican guard tried this either

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i once read a comment on reddit that said it's impossible for tesla to be anti-labor because it's illegal to stamp down union actions

faa has cool videos of lithium battery fires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0EzQaEiZQ

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

did that crack the vessel?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

lmao if they sold the land thats some rando just stacking dirt in the middle of elons poo poo

:lol:

that’s the ramp they used to send a tesla to space

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mrmcd posted:

Wasn't this the guy that was all "Elon Musk is a genius trying to save humanity by building a Mars colony so leave him alone!" like 1 month ago?

that's @Te1saCharts, not @TelsaCharts

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

the talent deficit posted:

that's @Te1saCharts, not @TelsaCharts

No that's the guy giving away millions of ETH.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mrmcd posted:

No that's the guy giving away millions of ETH.

no that Elom Nusk

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

or possibly Felon Busk

seems to be a lot of these guys at any rate

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

do regular car companies with EVs give guidance on how long the batteries will last before needing replacement? i know they probably have good tech to keep capacity up compared to (say) a cell phone, but still li-ion is gonna wear down eventually right

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Other then being a CEO of a publicly traded company, it literally doesn't matter if you smoke weed on camera. And even then it only matters for the stock price, which depending on your board, and who owns the shares etc, might not matter either.

Tesla has a no-drug policy and used failed piss tests as an excuse to fire staff who hold valid medical marijuana cards

yeah it still doesn't actually matter. just another reason to note that musk is awful

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/TomerAshur/status/1039238434022465541

mewse
May 2, 2006

Imagine discovering the security system you're investigating was publicly compromised 13 years ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

loving

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mewse posted:

Imagine discovering the security system you're investigating was publicly compromised 13 years ago

it’s brilliant though. no one would suspect that it would still be used. hide in plain sight! :ninja:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

:laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:magical:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Single use guesses are in reach of extremely inexpensive low-power compact hardware :/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lolling irl rn

animist
Aug 28, 2018

anime was right posted:

elon hosed up and went from the emerald hill zone to the green one

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hahaha

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shaggar posted:

nascar atleast has more than 1 car on the track at a time. nothing is more boring than f1

Best and worst are hard terms. I think we can all agree that sipping beer in a pub while some wicked man with chops rides down the street at 300 kmh + is peak Motorsport entertainment. Therefore Isle of man TT shall be the ground to unite people bored of watching rednecks driving in circles and the ones bored of watching some techno kiddies drive around in overpriced fart machines with fancy wings.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The power of musk compels you

E: the wired article says that tesla wants to reverse fix this by adding a pin code option to the model s dashboard.

Just let that sink in. For decades people use a physical key to avoid unauthorized access to the vehicle.

We add fobs to remotely open the vehicle. This is convenient. But you still need a physical key to start it. This is propably the best compromise between safety and comfort.

The simplistic, but effective security of a physical key gets replaced by a convoluted fob design that is expensive, less secure and now forces you into a pin code to actually get somewhat of a sense of security.

All that to avoid inserting and turning a key? Is a pin code really more comfortable than an ignition key?

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 11, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Best and worst are hard terms. I think we can all agree that sipping beer in a pub while some wicked man with chops rides down the street at 300 kmh + is peak Motorsport entertainment. Therefore Isle of man TT shall be the ground to unite people bored of watching rednecks driving in circles and the ones bored of watching some techno kiddies drive around in overpriced fart machines with fancy wings.

p much all motorcycle racing is more fun than any auto racing, though there's probably some cycle racing that's less fun than rallycross, but that's about it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i bet dirt track racing can get pretty boring once the novelty of how they corner wears off.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

E: the wired article says that tesla wants to reverse fix this by adding a pin code option to the model s dashboard.

Just let that sink in. For decades people use a physical key to avoid unauthorized access to the vehicle.

We add fobs to remotely open the vehicle. This is convenient. But you still need a physical key to start it. This is propably the best compromise between safety and comfort.

The simplistic, but effective security of a physical key gets replaced by a convoluted fob design that is expensive, less secure and now forces you into a pin code to actually get somewhat of a sense of security.

All that to avoid inserting and turning a key? Is a pin code really more comfortable than an ignition key?

keys and knobs are OLD tho

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Combat Theory posted:

Just let that sink in. For decades people use a physical key to avoid unauthorized access to the vehicle. We add fobs to remotely open the vehicle. This is convenient. But you still need a physical key to start it. This is propably the best compromise between safety and comfort. The simplistic, but effective security of a physical key gets replaced by a convoluted fob design that is expensive, less secure and now forces you into a pin code to actually get somewhat of a sense of security. All that to avoid inserting and turning a key? Is a pin code really more comfortable than an ignition key?

do any car makers still use physical keys :confused:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You mean purely physical without a chip?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yes, my parents just got a new car with a key. However,

Schadenboner posted:

You mean purely physical without a chip?

I don't think they use chipless keys anymore except maybe for fleet vehicles. It's an added layer of security that's not too expensive to implement for the makers, and is definitely more secure than a car alarm.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

iospace posted:

Yes, my parents just got a new car with a key. However,

I don't think they use chipless keys anymore except maybe for fleet vehicles. It's an added layer of security that's not too expensive to implement for the makers, and is definitely more secure than a car alarm.

Yeah, I was confused by ML's question, I'm assuming he's ACCCHUALLYing about the keys being chipped?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
motogp is loving cool and exciting and lol that elon refuses to make an ebike, one of the most promising and upside-filled EVs hitting the market, because he almost got hit by a truck when he was riding a dirt bike when he was 13

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Combat Theory posted:

Getting your keys out of your pocket/purse is annoying. If you've gotten used to being able to open your garage and car without touching your keys other than to put them in, and then take them out of, your pants it's annoying as gently caress to have to get them out all the time. Being able to just type in a passcode is a decent compromise. Is it better or more secure? Lmao not at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
all i know is they put auto unlocking doors and push button ignition in like, regular camrys these days and those arent laughably easy to steal.

the key fob solutions are pretty great its just tesla had to gently caress up

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

TK-42-1 posted:

Getting your keys out of your pocket/purse is annoying. If you've gotten used to being able to open your garage and car without touching your keys other than to put them in, and then take them out of, your pants it's annoying as gently caress to have to get them out all the time. Being able to just type in a passcode is a decent compromise. Is it better or more secure? Lmao not at all.

just fish around in your jort pockets for your keys, jeez

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just laffo if you don't cut off your pinkies and have your house and car keys implanted right and left (respectively) in place of them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the battery in my Mazda key fob is dead so I have to use the physical key and then hold the fob up to the starter button to start it, but gently caress them if they think I'm paying 100 bux for a new one with 6 months to go on my lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

loving lol