Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

PIZZA.BAT posted:

idgi

are there a lot of people using twitter of all things for 2fa?

you can integrate with twitter oauth to let people use it to create an account for your app, same as facebook or google

tho i've hardly ever seen it implemented unless it's an app specifically for twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
ugh. shameful snipe

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Adversarial Couture for TESLA Avoidance

would rock a stop sign purse

e: actually same for the rest of the outfit too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DaTroof posted:

you can integrate with twitter oauth to let people use it to create an account for your app, same as facebook or google

tho i've hardly ever seen it implemented unless it's an app specifically for twitter

ahh this makes more sense

lol that twitter just lit that all on fire

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

DaTroof posted:

yeah a shitload of big tech companies are happy to be external id provider for your oauth implementation. if we were using twitter for it we would be asking anyone using it to migrate too, lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

idgi

are there a lot of people using twitter of all things for 2fa?

tell me you've played OG half-life or I will feel really old (j/k, I know I'm a decrepit shell shambling toward oblivion)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaTroof posted:

The most common place I recall seeing them was comment sections on news articles and most of those have been gone for years lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

a lot of free to play and mobile games have options to login with twitter, i've seen people joking that whatever granblue fantasy decides to use instead will be the new dominant platform

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

wow, sounds like someone is learning a valuable lesson about collaboration

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

tell me you've played OG half-life or I will feel really old (j/k, I know I'm a decrepit shell shambling toward oblivion)

half-life? is that like a fortnite?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

half-life? is that like a fortnite?

*dabs*

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

"unforeseen consequences" is the name of the chapter where the experiment goes wrong in Half-Life 1. "Prepare for unforeseen consequences" shows up in HL2, referencing the old game, and is pretty close to the tweet with "preparation for unforeseen circumstances".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DaTroof posted:

Twitter OAuth is the default option in Japan, for everything. It's bigger than login with Google, Login with Facebook, any other thing.

Elon is about to screw over the Japanese internet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol no i understood that reference. i just didn't know why the other tweet was a big deal

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Twerk from Home posted:

Twitter OAuth is the default option in Japan, for everything. It's bigger than login with Google, Login with Facebook, any other thing.

trust Japan to choose the one area where they do something vaguely modern to be done in a strange way literally nobody else does

logging in with Twitter....lol, lmao even

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Twerk from Home posted:

send Elon to the next basho as a novelty act

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nessus posted:

send Elon to the next basho

this sounds like if you visit Australia and Chopper Reed kicks the poo poo out of you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this sounds like if you visit Australia and Chopper Reed kicks the poo poo out of you
over a hundred large men slamming you into a clay field

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbf while I recognised the image I'd forgotten the chapter was unforeseen consequences, but "prelude to catastrophic/unfortunate events" was in my mind at least

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's just all of our previous contracts michael

https://twitter.com/chrismoodycom/status/1623123171842097153

how much could it cost, ten dollars?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

trust Japan to choose the one area where they do something vaguely modern to be done in a strange way literally nobody else does

logging in with Twitter....lol, lmao even

twitter is weirdly popular in japan, isn't it? i know there are a ton of japanese accounts that occasionally cross-pollinate into my feed, and wouldn't be surprised if facebook didn't take off as much there. dunno about google since i dont think yahoo japan, as big as it is, is big because of its search function

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

this might be the single most hosed up thing in this thread.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

before all this twitter was and is a pretty significant social media site in the us and japan yeah, no reason to see that it'd go away besides it never really making money

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so maybe softbank acquires them and just leaves the oauth going

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the Japanese DWANGO franchise is now one of the largest internet companies in Japan

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

VSOKUL girl posted:

twitter is weirdly popular in japan, isn't it? i know there are a ton of japanese accounts that occasionally cross-pollinate into my feed, and wouldn't be surprised if facebook didn't take off as much there. dunno about google since i dont think yahoo japan, as big as it is, is big because of its search function

Nearly every JP fan artist I've seen makes Twitter their main posting platform in my experience.

Obviously I can't really speak to how prolific they are with text posting though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
saying japan is weird for "login with twitter" being the most commonplace one is funny considering how much poo poo in the us loves to have you log in with facebook

that said, lol, and furthermore, lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i literally can't login with facebook even if i tried lol

someone tried phishing my account in like 2014 and i got locked out of it. fb wanted a ridiculous amount of data to verify that i was actually myself, so i literally told them to get hosed lol

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

a lot of "login with facebook" sites are a scam anyway. they will just auto fill your e-mail address and first+last name or something, then you still need to make a loving account

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what is it with japan and love for dead web websites

wasnt yahoo japan a separate entity that was popular long after yahoo became irrelevant in the us?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what is it with japan and love for dead web websites

wasnt yahoo japan a separate entity that was popular long after yahoo became irrelevant in the us?

I don't know if things have changed recently, but Yahoo! Japan was a massive beast in Japan. They ran their own ISP which was the big broadband ISP most people would sign up for, and most people would have Yahoo! as their home page like it's 1996. When I lived there in like 2007-ish, Google was just starting to be a big enough deal in Japan that you had to care about Google's brand of SEO, and since web urls are English-only (or at least were at the time) it's a big loving deal for search to work for getting people to you (back when English websites were all advertising with their .com URL front and center, Japanese advertising for websites was all "search for [keyword to search for in Japanese]" instead.

Because of the weird way Japan works business-wise, it's pretty common for western companies that branch out there to wind up forming this entity that's kind of self-sufficient and a standalone company in its own right, that can often be shielded from things like the original company becoming irrelevant in the western world. At least a few years ago I think GeoCities and CompuServe were still operating in Japan as their Japan-only variant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

a lot of "login with facebook" sites are a scam anyway. they will just auto fill your e-mail address and first+last name or something, then you still need to make a loving account
Yeah I finally tried logging in with Google or something on some site a year ago with some trepidation and this thing happened and I was pretty mad.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

go play outside Skyler posted:

lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t have Facebook and using the apple-fake-email-that-forwards-poo poo-to-my-real-email is legit

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

univbee posted:

Because of the weird way Japan works business-wise, it's pretty common for western companies that branch out there to wind up forming this entity that's kind of self-sufficient and a standalone company in its own right, that can often be shielded from things like the original company becoming irrelevant in the western world. At least a few years ago I think GeoCities and CompuServe were still operating in Japan as their Japan-only variant.

yeah 7-11 japan was so successful that they now own 7-11 US

lawson, circle K also in a similar spot

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tesseraction posted:

tbf while I recognised the image I'd forgotten the chapter was unforeseen consequences, but "prelude to catastrophic/unfortunate events" was in my mind at least

what do you call it when you advertise on twitter?

half-price: full consequences

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

i am a moron posted:

I don’t have Facebook and using the apple-fake-email-that-forwards-poo poo-to-my-real-email is legit

its a great feature but you can have up to 5 icloud email aliases anyway. i use beeftweeter@icloud.com for some throwaways

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Agile Vector posted:

what do you call it when you advertise on twitter?

half-price: full consequences

half-price: blue poo poo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zamujasa posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zamujasa posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005