Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the valley stereotypes I saw a lot at tech companies was "nerdy guy who secretly hates having a family" who would just be at work like 12 hours a day because they're SO BUSY all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

a lot of you don't understand how much many older married couples hate each other, or at the very least don't want to spend all day around each other

plus you've known all your friends for 40 years and a steady stream of younger people to make small talk with probably sounds pleasant

one of the guys i used to work with who was in his late 70s said that he wasn't gonna retire ever because he wasn't prepared to spend that kinda time with his wife

he was doin it right tho and just making bank working like 20 hours a week coming in whenever. i'd do that

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My last lyft driver broke into our conversation about Tesla to assure me that no, Teslas have only gone down in quality recently, and the model S and model X (!) that he owns are absolutely of high quality and also it's the factory workers' faults for working somewhere dangerous, they can leave anytime and he would expect the same of his own employees (he said he runs a fleet of Lyft cars). He could afford two Teslas and his own small business yet there he was, still driving Lyft all day for pennies.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol running a fleet of rideshare cars -- the ultimate small business tyrant

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i only ever get the lyft drivers who are totally about to make it big in the hip hop scene and are just driving so they can afford studio time to record their breakout album and would i like to hear some of their music?

and it's too awkward to say no

so i try not to use lyft very often

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

one of the valley stereotypes I saw a lot at tech companies was "nerdy guy who secretly hates having a family" who would just be at work like 12 hours a day because they're SO BUSY all the time
i had an older coworker who would stay late every day playing windows solitaire

that was not a happy home, im guessing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i only ever get the lyft drivers who are totally about to make it big in the hip hop scene and are just driving so they can afford studio time to record their breakout album and would i like to hear some of their music?

just tell them sure but they have to listen to your demo first then put on a 30 minute ambient song

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

just tell them sure but they have to listen to your demo first then put on a 30 minute ambient song
same except treat me bad mean i need the reputation

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2019

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Shame Boy posted:

can he not like, get a garage to build model trains in or something

A diorama of a construction crew ripping up track at the gigafactory with a lil musk figurine crossing his arms looking smug.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 16, 2019

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lancemantis posted:

well yeah they actually have to spend time together now and realize that they can't stand each other; no more kids and work to distract them

that's what the elderly swingers parties are for

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

qirex posted:

So you mean a short sample track?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

i had an older coworker who would stay late every day playing windows solitaire

that was not a happy home, im guessing

the younger ones are at the company gym, playing foosball, morale activities, etc. but they exist too. the resigned desperation is just less obvious

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

this happens on the east coast too, btw

FMguru posted:

same except treat me bad mean i need the reputation

:hmmyes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wait that won't work in a tesla, they don't use gas

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
being a workaholic to avoid family -- an old male tradition

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

mostly the uber drives i come across are teachers making money part time. my best driver was the guy who had two phones clipped to his dashboard, one for the uber app, the other one for blasting bollywood tunes. he asked me "you don't mind, do you?" and then just cranked it to full blast.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

wait that won't work in a tesla, they don't use gas

are you sure? it is actually diesel

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

My last lyft driver broke into our conversation about Tesla to assure me that no, Teslas have only gone down in quality recently, and the model S and model X (!) that he owns are absolutely of high quality and also it's the factory workers' faults for working somewhere dangerous, they can leave anytime and he would expect the same of his own employees (he said he runs a fleet of Lyft cars). He could afford two Teslas and his own small business yet there he was, still driving Lyft all day for pennies.

"i'm an accomplished and important small business owner!!!" i scream as i hose the puke out of the back seat for the 40th time this month

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

this happens on the east coast too, btw

yeah i think that's just called "being a middle-aged white american dude"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

klafbang posted:

lmbo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

"absolutely loving not, my dude"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my dads retired and drives for uber and lyft because my mom still has a job and i think he gets bored and lonely

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
calling people that work a job "retired" is super hosed up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

calling people that work a job "retired" is super hosed up

he does it for like 2-4 hours a day whenever he feels like it. it's more like a hobby so he can meet people

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"Mission: FI/RE is complete. What shall I do today... I know, WORK" :thunk:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A lot of old timers’ health and mental stability goes to poo poo when they stop working. Having a purpose in life is important.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TK-42-1 posted:

A lot of old timers’ health and mental stability goes to poo poo when they stop working. Having a purpose in life is important.

everyone's health and mental stability is adversely affected when they don't work

this is the entire problem with the tech industry: swathes of people not working while their minds and bodies decay but are given ludicrous sums of money they no longer have the mental capacity to use responsibly

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
stymie was right

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the good thing about getting lots of money is that you can afford an expensive hobby to devote yourself to and get to spend some time doing something vaguely like actual work

unless you live in the bay area lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah but can’t that purpose be getting up at 4am to fish every day or whatever?

oh, cyberpunk future, no fish... right

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah but idle enjoyment doesn’t always give a sense of purpose the way doing something, anything “productive” might

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jabor posted:

the good thing about getting lots of money is that you can afford an expensive hobby to devote yourself to and get to spend some time doing something vaguely like actual work

unless you live in the bay area lol

then you need a hobby that lets u pretend you're a genius inventor colonizing mars and revolutionizing transportation. or a hero saving humanity from an evil AI. but sometimes u identify less with ppl and more with the evil AI, so u skip the hobby altogether and just keep running facebook

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh there are plenty of hobbies that can require a lot of work; I just think some people need a “boss” figure or a feeling of legitimacy or value as an employee

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
when you've been working all day for fifty years straight, I imagine it's hard to adjust to having actual free time, especially when you're already old and tired and relatively broken down

especially since a lot of hobbies involve learning new things and picking up new skills and spending money on stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rex-Goliath posted:

we’re gonna come full circle where millennials are all

the wonder of timbs apple pay just allowed me to impulse buy this poster which will flank my KULTUR TERROR poster nicely. need one more for its other side

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 17, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

post. edit is not quote :gibs:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

klafbang posted:

rolling coal!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4z1Jeyq2g
this is so funny

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tomorrow will be a month since the last time I was at work, and yeah, it gets kinda dull at times. I can understand people having trouble with retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my grandma was p healthy until she retired from her job in retail and got really overweight and senile :(