Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
its just a small anomaly, folks. nothing to see here

any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rex-Goliath posted:

media publications tend to know exactly where the legal lines they can/cannot cross are so lol at this attempt

ArmZ posted:

oh I read the complaint and those dumbasses planted hidden cameras on tesla property lmao

welp turns out they’re run of the mill morons!

countdown until they try to justify it citing the first amendment

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

if you were curious what happened to that crew capsule

https://twitter.com/Astronut099/status/1119825093742530560

dsyp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sorry, the correct quip was "nice meltdown"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

nasa FUD if this had people in it we would already be on mars, get out of the wya of progress nasa.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm hoping that we get some verification of the video, since the twitter account that comes from is a bit CHUD-ish for my liking/sharing around.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think if you're planning on farming with anything more advanced than a steam tractor you're going to need to abide the touching of computers.

when i was a kid farmers were one the early adopters of computers in our community. it isn't even the complexity of your farming equipment, a computer is really useful just for all the business and scientific calculations that a working farm does every day. before dialup was available in our area, one family i knew subscribed to a dedicated satellite service that beamed down stuff like weather forecasts and grain market data

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
when i was a teen i worked for a computer shop across the street from a farmers' co-op, they were still using their rs232 VT/server setup that they bought in the 80s when it was brand new. we used to do troubleshooting and repair for them when it would conk out a few times a year.

they were definitely early adopters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ShanghaiJayin/status/1119997229530406913

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Egon Mosque: Why do my lovely things keep exploding?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why did it explode with a flash like that though

I've destroyed plenty of 18650 packs and they don't flash like that, unless there's just something going on with how the camera captures bright light? In my experience poo poo just pops and burns violently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lithium batteries explode because when damaged they produce hydrogen and get hot. the initial flare is almost certainly the hydrogen quickly burning off, and then the rest of the car and the lithium metal itself catches fire.
also the camera would react slowly yeah.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

Why did it explode with a flash like that though

I've destroyed plenty of 18650 packs and they don't flash like that, unless there's just something going on with how the camera captures bright light? In my experience poo poo just pops and burns violently

it's a lovely security camera the iris can only react so quickly

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i accidentally opened the thread from the beginning and

PleasureKevin posted:

here is his "submarine"

lmfao

it's made of rocket parts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m still waiting for someone to go out into the jungle and claim that thing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i was a kid farmers were one the early adopters of computers in our community. it isn't even the complexity of your farming equipment, a computer is really useful just for all the business and scientific calculations that a working farm does every day. before dialup was available in our area, one family i knew subscribed to a dedicated satellite service that beamed down stuff like weather forecasts and grain market data

Yeah my friends parents had this service and I thought it was kicking rad as a kid

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this was from one of the companies that served farmers, and later formed the basis for the trs-80 color computer

"The initial goal of this project, called “Green Thumb”, was to create a low cost Videotex terminal for farmers, ranchers, and others in the agricultural industry. This terminal would connect to a phone line and an ordinary color television and allow the user access to near real-time information useful to their day-to-day operations on the farm.

Motorola’s MC6847 Video Display Generator (VDG) chip was released about the same time as the joint venture started and it has been speculated that the VDG was actually designed for this project. At the core of the prototype “Green Thumb” terminal, the MC6847, along with the MC6809 Microprocessor Unit (MPU), made the prototype a reality by about 1978. Unfortunately, the prototype contained too many chips to be commercially viable. Motorola solved this problem by integrating all the functions of the many smaller chips into one chip, the MC6883 Synchronous Address Multiplexer (SAM). By that time in late 1979, the new and powerful Motorola MC6809 processor was released. The SAM, VDG, and 6809 were combined and the AgVision terminal was born.

The AgVision terminal was also sold through Radio Shack stores as the VideoTex terminal around 1980. Internal differences, if any, are unclear, as not many AgVision terminals survive to this day."

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry, what down stuff like weather forecasts?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Beamed posted:

sorry, what down stuff like weather forecasts?

A/S/L?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

this was from one of the companies that served farmers, and later formed the basis for the trs-80 color computer

"The initial goal of this project, called “Green Thumb”, was to create a low cost Videotex terminal for farmers, ranchers, and others in the agricultural industry. This terminal would connect to a phone line and an ordinary color television and allow the user access to near real-time information useful to their day-to-day operations on the farm.

Motorola’s MC6847 Video Display Generator (VDG) chip was released about the same time as the joint venture started and it has been speculated that the VDG was actually designed for this project. At the core of the prototype “Green Thumb” terminal, the MC6847, along with the MC6809 Microprocessor Unit (MPU), made the prototype a reality by about 1978. Unfortunately, the prototype contained too many chips to be commercially viable. Motorola solved this problem by integrating all the functions of the many smaller chips into one chip, the MC6883 Synchronous Address Multiplexer (SAM). By that time in late 1979, the new and powerful Motorola MC6809 processor was released. The SAM, VDG, and 6809 were combined and the AgVision terminal was born.

The AgVision terminal was also sold through Radio Shack stores as the VideoTex terminal around 1980. Internal differences, if any, are unclear, as not many AgVision terminals survive to this day."

technology like this helps a lof of farmers, but it also allows moo cow to post, so, it;s impossible to say if its good or not,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

President Beep posted:

did you all know? edison hosed up the lightbulb 1,000 times on purpose?

he knew right off the bat that he needed a tungsten filament, but you see it’s good to fail.

Edison’s winning filament was carbon.

Tungsten filaments came decades later.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Platystemon posted:

there was anti competitive collusion among light bulb manufacturers in the early 20th century though

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/dawn-of-electronics/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress capitalism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Running filaments hot for more lumens per watt at the expense of bulb lifetime is the correct choice.

It just so happens that the cartel did the right thing for entirely selfish reasons.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Platystemon posted:

It just so happens that the cartel did the right thing for entirely selfish reasons.

Thread title

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Running filaments hot for more lumens per watt at the expense of bulb lifetime is the correct choice.

yeah there's this light bulb outside a fire hall in kansas (or something) that has been continuously illuminated for over 100 years and now and then you read articles about how they built things to LAST back then and light bulbs only burn out because of the conspiracy etc. haven't heard about it as much since CFLs and LEDs took off though.

anyway if you go and look at the light bulb it's true that it is still working and it really is that old. but it's also about as bright as a candle and they never shut it off so the filament is like 1% as stressed as a modern one would be

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Platystemon posted:

they did that before they divvied up the world and set production quotas and price targets

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

yeah there's this light bulb outside a fire hall in kansas (or something) that has been continuously illuminated for over 100 years and now and then you read articles about how they built things to LAST back then and light bulbs only burn out because of the conspiracy etc. haven't heard about it as much since CFLs and LEDs took off though.

anyway if you go and look at the light bulb it's true that it is still working and it really is that old. but it's also about as bright as a candle and they never shut it off so the filament is like 1% as stressed as a modern one would be

it's in south california iirc and it was a guest character in 17776

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's in livermore and they let them shut it off to move it while still maintaining the record

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's in south california iirc and it was a guest character in 17776

17776 was really good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's in livermore and they let them shut it off to move it while still maintaining the record

Which is stupid because they totally could have hotwired it to a UPS and kept it powered in transit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beamed posted:

17776 was really good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Platystemon posted:

please dont burden me with facts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Which is stupid because they totally could have hotwired it to a UPS and kept it powered in transit.

it was briefly off several times before they figured out that the bulb had been around since 1901 so from a world record standpoint that probably didn't matter much

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Skim Milk posted:

technology like this helps a lof of farmers, but it also allows moo cow to post, so, it;s impossible to say if its good or not,

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

Lol holy poo poo. Do we know what their motivation is?

probably the same thing that has powered constant instances of poop-toucher goons going too far - getting too caught up in the comedy and in sharing it with others who follow it with similar obsessiveness, getting desperate for more, and forgetting that just because they can do something doesn't mean they should

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my solution to that problem?: ensure no comedy is involved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beamed posted:

17776 was really good

17776 was pretty much Jon Bois exploiting every facet of the internet he could to unbelievable effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

17776 was pretty much Jon Bois exploiting every facet of the internet he could to unbelievable effect.

i still appreciate that jon took the time to do a video about what it's like to quote stymie