Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

all you have to do is write a software

it's one software michael, what could it cost, ten dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we've built a comprehensive suite of sensors, now all we have to do is devise a system that knows what to do with the data. shouldn't take too long

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

qirex posted:

do the first 80% of the work before you're down to 20% of your funding

you get 80% of your funding for doing the first 20% of the work

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

FMguru posted:

but the whole point of self-driving cars is that you dont have to drive them

the big win use cases for them are things like: driving your hopelessly drunk rear end home safely from the bar, shuttling your kids to school and back without you, and sleeping* away your commute

* or putting on your vr helmet and jerking yourself raw watching interactive 3d hentai

that’s called a taxi or in common parlance: Uber

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

it's crazy to me that all of these tech companies world renowned for only investing time in meaningful activities have invested time in self driving cars which as far as I can tell the best case benefit is you can get driven somewhere.

The only difference being instead of paying some marginal rate to a person who bears the capital cost, instead you have to purchase the car, and pay the depreciation to MAYBE get to earn a 0.5% annual return on during the times you aren't using it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vomik posted:

it's crazy to me that all of these tech companies world renowned for only investing time in meaningful activities have invested time in self driving cars which as far as I can tell the best case benefit is you can get driven somewhere.

The only difference being instead of paying some marginal rate to a person who bears the capital cost, instead you have to purchase the car, and pay the depreciation to MAYBE get to earn a 0.5% annual return on during the times you aren't using it

yeah but it's a way of making sure less of your money goes to poor people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vomik posted:

actually teslas will appreciate in value so you will get infinity annual return! this is why they dropped prices on all of them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MononcQc posted:

It took me 10 years to drive 100,000 km, and that includes time when I didn't work from home. I average 1,000 to 1,500 km/year these days. Driving a $50,000 car 100,000km would probably take me more time than the car would be legal to drive or the oil availability in the post-warming wastelands, or if these do not materialize, more years than I have left to live.

The car will start sucking before I make it to any significant mileage with it because too low usage with harsh weather is enough to make it go to poo poo on its own.

I've got a fantastic opportunity for you. Have you heard of the Tesla Model III? The undercarriage is a piece of fabric -- very easy to replace!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

the point of self driving cars is that you spend more time on your phone instead of wasting it driving.

only Tesla is pushing this idiotic concept of having your car drive around and earn big bucks as a taxi/love hotel.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The Management posted:

the point of self driving cars is that you spend more time on your phone instead of wasting it driving.

only Tesla is pushing this idiotic concept of having your car drive around and earn big bucks as a taxi/love hotel.

the point of self driving cars is to prop up the unsustainable car-centric commuter suburbs by bribing people living in them with "you don't have to drive in traffic!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shipon posted:

the point of self driving cars is to prop up the unsustainable car-centric commuter suburbs by bribing people living in them with "you don't have to drive in traffic!"

nope.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah but it's a way of making sure less of your money goes to poor people.

it's this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the point of self driving cars is self driving big rigs and cargo transport, just like with pretty much every other technology all the money is in commercial applications

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the point of it is that driving a car has always been something of a chore, which is why people were already trying and failing to do it from about a century ago lol

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It's honestly just an empty hype feature in an industry starved of sensible metrics and individuality.

There's a point about commercial usage but all the poo poo that's easy to automate like on site and in facility driving is already automated and has been for decades. Even test driving actual cars has been automated for decades but none of the companies involved in that have any illusions about transferring that level of autonomy to an uncontrolled environment like public roads.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
For cargo transport, you really quickly run into "what about when something goes wrong" problems, too.

The truck breaks down in the new Mexico desert, hours from anyone who has a stake in the company. Now what?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

just yesterday the times put out an, "actually it's harder than we thought who could have known this?" article that says only musk thinks it's coming any time soon: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/business/self-driving-autonomous-cars.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

I liked that the situations they used to demonstrate were so hard to work around involved humans breaking obvious traffic laws. Instead of, you know, the many freely available videos of autonomous cars getting hosed up by "an overpass" or "the wrong shade of white" or "traffic after a bend in the road"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

theflyingorc posted:

For cargo transport, you really quickly run into "what about when something goes wrong" problems, too.

The truck breaks down in the new Mexico desert, hours from anyone who has a stake in the company. Now what?

I really expect it to be more of a road train of a 'locomotive' driven by a human followed by autonomous trucks from depot to depot on a highway. Then short haul dudes hop in and do the difficult surface road driving.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TK-42-1 posted:

I really expect it to be more of a road train of a 'locomotive' driven by a human followed by autonomous trucks from depot to depot on a highway. Then short haul dudes hop in and do the difficult surface road driving.

You just invented trains

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

theflyingorc posted:

You just invented trains

Well yeah but theres still a lot of trucking where trains or pipelines arent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingorc posted:

otoh it makes hijacking and road piracy waaay easier

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TK-42-1 posted:

why dont we just pay those people to drive the trucks the whole way for a small price, instead of paying them to wait at the hop-on points where they're doing nothing for us, truckco?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Why does eveyone give Elton Muckz the benefit of doubt. why.

"Obviously he's genius" uh because he tweets out ideas that were on Popular Science covers 30 years ago? does that make him special?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just look at this poo poo

https://www.google.com/search?&tbm=isch&q=Popular+mechanics&oq=Popular+mechanics

elon musks ideas are old enough to have grandkids

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fishmech posted:

why dont we just pay those people to drive the trucks the whole way for a small price, instead of paying them to wait at the hop-on points where they're doing nothing for us, truckco?

because you can just not pay them to wait, they can either wait for free and get paid a paltry sum to drive the last mile or they can loving starve

welcome to the gig economy this is how it works now for everyone who isn't a deece figgies computer toucher or other professional/managerial knowledge worker type

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hailthefish posted:

because you can just not pay them to wait, they can either wait for free and get paid a paltry sum to drive the last mile or they can loving starve

welcome to the gig economy this is how it works now for everyone who isn't a deece figgies computer toucher or other professional/managerial knowledge worker type

yeah so then you're not going to have cdl holders to pilot the trucks dumbass

because some other company will simply pay them to drive their trucks, which they didnt have to spend an extra million on a piece to get "self driving". and that other company is now taking all your business.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vomik posted:

Taxis don’t make economic sense in a lot of areas and situations which is how Uber loses money hand over fist putting taxis anywhere and everywhere.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

theflyingorc posted:

teleoperated scuttling charges

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vomik posted:

Throw money at twenty year olds and they only solve the sorts of problems they've encountered and understand, like:

* Mom, drive me to my friend's place!
* I need more ways to fail at getting laid!
* Man, I want some food but I'm too stoned to go get it!
* Booking a hotel online is too hard, why can't I just get filmed using some stranger's bathroom/bedroom instead?
* Nobody I know uses email, I need to reinvent it but worse!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

James Baud posted:

Throw money at twenty year olds and they only solve the sorts of problems they've encountered and understand, like:

* Mom, drive me to my friend's place!
* I need more ways to fail at getting laid!
* Man, I want some food but I'm too stoned to go get it!
* Booking a hotel online is too hard, why can't I just get filmed using some stranger's bathroom/bedroom instead?
* Nobody I know uses email, I need to reinvent it but worse!

lazy assholes paying money to avoid doing easy things that normal adults do on their own basically makes up all of the sharing economy at this point

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vomik posted:

"Why doesn't everyone in the world who owns a car just use Uber all the time instead." -- An actual person in the thread.

Also you're ignoring the fact that a lot of companies working in this actually don't expect people to want to own cars in the long term.

Underwear
May 13, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

it's one software michael, what could it cost, ten dollars?

you've never actually set foot in a software store, have you Lucille?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mystes posted:

"Why doesn't everyone in the world who owns a car just use Uber all the time instead." -- An actual person in the thread.

Also you're ignoring the fact that a lot of companies working in this actually don't expect people to want to own cars in the long term.

woosh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah that's some pretty poor reading comprehension, i dont even know what their post is saying or what it's a response to

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ol musky's gonna get some of that blood money

https://www.spa.gov.sa/viewfullstory.php?lang=en&newsid=1948491#1948491

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elon musk is built on blood money

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

Elon musk is built on blood money

some classmates of mine were shocked when i explained his actual background and his "founding" of tesla.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

is missile some weird translation of rocket?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

these rockets, they could also be icbm, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
no, only for peaceful use, peaceful!